DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cliff Almond here..... (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35195)

Cliffalmondmusic 02-01-2008 03:41 AM

Cliff Almond here.....

Hey Everyone-
I was just told about this site through my friend Phil Maturano. Thought I'd stop by and say hey.

Here are my site links, etc.

http://www.cliffalmondmusic.com/

http://www.myspace.com/cliffalmondmusic

-CA

Vinnysimmo 02-01-2008 10:46 PM

Re: Cliff Almond here.....

Hello Cliff............................

tracer 02-02-2008 01:01 AM

If anyone is unfamiliar with Caribe (Michel Camilo),you owe it to yourself to hear the contribution Cliff. That one will raise the dead,and I should know- I am 55. I have two questions...
1.Do the Oak Customs work out in low volume situations with a deft touch and coated heads?
2.Any Camilo DVD's with you on them?
Glad you will be more visible here.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LcxZXxlOFx8

Cliffalmondmusic 02-02-2008 01:32 AM

Hey Tracer-
Thanks for the questions...(and compliment). In my opinion, the Oak Customs are great for everything. I was amazed when I first played them. I just used them in LA about 2 weeks ago on a streight ahead-ish type session with an 18" kick playing light and they worked great. With coated ambassadors they really read great dynamically live as well as recording. I use them on everything now.
As far as the dvd's Im not sure if im on any specific dvds with michel. I never know whats out there these days. But there are a bunch of videos on my site with Michel and other artists that i've played with if you want to check them out. Also on myspace.

http://www.cliffalmondmusic.com/links.html

Thanks-
CA

Pat Petrillo 02-02-2008 05:06 AM

Cliff

Great to see you are visiting (finally!) You're a great drummer, (plus an excellent human being, more importantly) and many people here will benefit from you contributions

Hit me up, when you are home, and let's hang at The Collective (Call me!)

Pat

Terry Branam 02-02-2008 09:27 AM

Hi Cliff,

Great to see you here.

I wanted to tell you that you are a huge influence on me. I remember checking your stuff out during a particularly important time in my musical development. I first heard of you in 1989 or so. My first teacher hipped me to you. Since then I have been listening to a lot of your recordings.

Ir is amazing to me how different you sound on Wayne Krantz' gigs as opposed to Michel Camilo's. As a matter of fact, every gig seems to bring something different out of your style. Very cool.

Also, nice job on your online lessons. I checked out Lesson 5 with the play along track. It's nice to hear some real world advice from an active pro, Look gorward to hearing some more.

Could you talk about what it's like playing with the great Anthony Jackson? He's got to be my favorite bass player of all time. You two sound great together in all of the different projects I've heard you in. It must be so fun working with him. (I think I would be intimidated but excited!)

Thanks for all of the inspiration!!

Terry

Phil Maturano 02-02-2008 03:31 PM

Heeeyyy ya old dawg! Finally you posted! Man if Bernhard is seeing this bro...we need a Cliff Almond page on Drummerworld. I just noticed there is no page for him??

I dont say this stuff very often so when i do, it really means allot to me. Cliff...You are one of the baddest mo fo's on the planet right now. If you guys havent seen Cliff...PLEASE check it out. I am blown away evertime i hear you with Krantz or whoever!! No joke! A wonderful person and musician.

Big hugs
PM

Bernhard 02-03-2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Maturano (Post 406024)
Heeeyyy ya old dawg! Finally you posted! Man if Bernhard is seeing this bro...we need a Cliff Almond page on Drummerworld. I just noticed there is no page for him??

Yes, absolutely, i take contact.

Bernhard

Phil Maturano 02-06-2008 09:31 PM

hey cliff i got the lessons! Thanks, very nice very nice
Big hugs
PM

ps: What do you think about making clips to go along with these? I think it would be great to see you playing the stuff.

El Guapo
pm

aydee 02-09-2008 06:20 PM

Man, I pride myself for knowing all the drummers out there that fall into my musical bag, guys I like to listen to.. and I totally blew it with Cliff..

what a monster! Our band does the Jaco's tune the chicken, which I was checking out on the youtube and..... Cliff Almond shows up instead( with Rob Whitlock, and the great Anthony Jackson )..smokin!

Cliff & Anthony go through this tune on like a freight train with booster rockets.. all I can say is WOW!!!

Cliff , If your'e listening, where else can I check you out?

Phil Maturano 02-12-2008 06:52 PM

Here is a nice story guys.

When i was a kid my dream was to go to PIT hahaha, Well after 4 years of procrastination ( I was 19 when i finally signed up)...i got there and one of the first things I saw, was the big band ensemble.( At the time they had a big band yes! It was sooooo cool to be able to learn and play that) As i walked the hallway towards the room where the band was, i heard this incredible drumming, burning up an uptempo chart with precision and power! Whhaaa , i thought to myself i gotta meet the guy who is playing that! So as I entered the room...i saw lots of other students peering towards the band. We all stood there kind of in disbeleif. That big ol band that sounded like a powerhouse (all top LA cats back in those days) was being pumped by this "kid" who was burning up that chart!! He looked even younger then he was back then hahaha! I asked another guy standing there "who the hell is that" and he said "oh thats cliff"

Son of a gun i never forget that day! The next day I saw him practing in his little room at the school and i right away started banging on the door! hahah! I asked him if he could help me with big band since my hands were shaking at the thought of having to play in front of Houghton and the freaking cats back then haha! To my surprise he said "oh sure man" and then proceeded to show me all the things he knew, reading interpretation of charts etc etc. Damn...I can still picture that day over 20 years ago. I learned so much in those first weeks alone and watching that "kid" reading his buttoks off, burning through chart after chart, was an inspiration that stays with you forever.

That my friends here at drummer world, is Cliff Almond. Super generous cat whom i hope you guys will draw from and pick his brain. A great addition to the forum.
Peace.
PM

Terry Branam 02-12-2008 08:53 PM

Wow, great story, Phil,

Thanks for sharing.

These are the kinds of things that make forums so great!

Terry

Phil Maturano 02-14-2008 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry B. (Post 409108)
Wow, great story, Phil,

Thanks for sharing.

These are the kinds of things that make forums so great!

Terry

HI Terry, yeah bro. You can learn so much on these forums. Its really great.

By the way! Loved the Hass transcriptions. Thanks for that!
PM

Terry Branam 02-15-2008 08:47 AM

Thanks for looking at my transcription Phil,

It is a huge honor to have a player like you checking out my work!

Man, I just watched some trading stuff you did with a conga player.....whoa. You are really killing man. I really would love to hook up for a lesson next time I'm in New York.

Oh, and I look forward to digging into Cliff's lesson on the Wayne Krantz concepts. Great idea!

Terry

Phil Maturano 02-23-2008 03:55 AM

Dude i just saw this clip on youtube the other day! Whaaaaaaaa cool!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gUWIQ8nHTko

Geeezzzzzz! You mansta!!!!!!!
Cooolllllllll!!!!!
PM

Phil Maturano 02-23-2008 03:58 AM

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kZvDxa2TfI

This is cool playin with anthony dude! Yourrrrr killing me.

Guillermo 02-24-2008 05:56 PM

Mr. Almond.

I saw you playing with Michel Camilo (my countrymate!) in Altos de Chavon at the Heineken Jazz Festival YEARS AGO... (early 90's).

Since I(I feel I can say it now), got a CREW pass by bribing a guy with a bottle of scotch, I actually was there as you rehearsed and after you played you were cortious enough to hang with a couple of star struck aspiring drummers, who were asking who this blond kid was... ha, ha, ha.

A couple of years later, ironically, I found myself part of the organizing structure of that festival... and sadly, when Michel came, you were not playing with him at that gig... I had gotten an authentic TAMBORA to give you as a token of appretiation for the huge influence seeing you so early in my drumming life did.

It's still around here somewhere waiting for it's proper owner to come back.

Thank you.

Cliffalmondmusic 02-28-2008 10:15 AM

Hey Guillermo-
Of course I remember hanging with you guys..... But I can't remember exactly which concert that was. I played there a couple of times with him in trio or septet, and with a big band. I do remember talking to you at one of those shows. At any rate, Im sorry I wasn't able to see you the next time after that w/Michel. Thanks for the nice note though. Those are very kind words and I certainly appreciate the compliment...when I make it down there again we will definitely hang. If you happen to see the great percussionist Guarionex Aquino in Santo Domingo please give him my best!

Guillermo 02-28-2008 03:56 PM

I know him and will deliver the message... he is an awesome guy (as you know!).

Hope to see you here again soon... performing or otherwise. Best wishes. Thanks!

Cliffalmondmusic 03-04-2008 05:59 PM

Yo Aydee

Hey Aydee-
Just realized I never responded to your thread. Thanks so much for the compliments from a while back. Here are a couple of places you can check out if you are interested in looking at things I've done over the years.

Thanks-
Cliff Almond

Roger Biwandu 03-10-2008 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Maturano (Post 412590)

OMG, you are INCREDIBLE Cliff !!!

The big band too, so tight, and faddis plays some high note on trumpet, he's a true monster him too, no talking about the great Anthony Jackson.

Warm hug Cliff.

pasta 03-10-2008 04:20 AM

Very cool to see you here,Cliff. I actually checked out your website a few months ago and have seen some great videos of you with Camillo. I heard about you many years ago and was trying to remember how I learned about you: Something to do with Weckl, I recall. Anyway, you're fantastic and it will be nice to have you contributing to the forum.

Pasta

Cliffalmondmusic 03-12-2008 05:27 AM

Hey Guys-
Thanks so much for the compliments. I hope to meet you in person and hear you soon.
Roger im always hearing great things about you whenever your name comes up.......everyone says your a great drummer and a nice guy as well. Hope to meet you at some point.

aydee 03-30-2008 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Maturano (Post 412590)
Dude i just saw this clip on youtube the other day! Whaaaaaaaa cool!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gUWIQ8nHTko

Geeezzzzzz! You mansta!!!!!!!
Cooolllllllll!!!!!
PM

That enough displacements to make you fall out of your chair! Monster, is right!!!!

Mike Bennett 06-03-2008 02:58 AM

I am new to the forum and just wanted to post my thoughts on Cliff!

I first got hip to Cliff when I started college and he opened my mind to the true role and function of a drummer. I actually got into Cliff's drumming so much I ordered his exact kit to the "T" off of the Yamaha web site! I didn't know much about him except for his drumming was exactly how I wanted to play!

As time goes on I still continued to practice doing my Cliff impression in practice sessions and on gigs. It has been great now that he is so accessible online with his lessons to be able to really study just how he is does it but most importantly why he does it. He is one of the best technicians I have ever heard but he is also one of the best decision makers: always musical, sensitive and appropriate.

I have been fortunate now to hear and hang with Cliff briefly when he has been out to Los Angeles playing, in fact I just saw him a few weeks back at The Baked Potato. Every time I get re-inspired and head straight back into the practice room. Not to mention he is also a super cool guy!

We all have our musical heroes and we rarely get the chance to say thank you. So, thanks Cliff! I still want to grow up to be just like you!

-Mike Bennett-

MySpace.com/MkeBennettMusic

aydee 06-05-2008 10:24 PM

Re: Yo Aydee

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffalmondmusic (Post 415951)
Hey Aydee-
Just realized I never responded to your thread. Thanks so much for the compliments from a while back. Here are a couple of places you can check out if you are interested in looking at things I've done over the years.

Thanks-
Cliff Almond

Thanks Cliff, love that bandwidth of the backbeat on Rob Whitlock's 2nd service! The track with Wayne Krantz is fantastic too. Do you gig a lot with him? He is working a lot with Carlock, I thought..is there more of you with him? would love to check it out..

thanks & great playing..

Cliffalmondmusic 06-09-2008 04:07 PM

Hey Aydee-
Thanks for the compliments on the Whitlock/Krantz stuff. As far as Krantz, he's been using different guys for quite a few years now. Ari Hoenig, Dafnis Prieto, Anton Fig, etc. I've been doing some of those gigs lately. There are a few videos out there, and I am on some his last record "Your basic live '06". There is a video of us from a year or so ago on my myspace page:

Thanks for listening-
CA

jasonrhcp 06-11-2008 03:55 AM

CLiff

Always loved your playing, and it's great to see you here! Thanks, and I look forward to hearing more from your website!

J

aydee 06-11-2008 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffalmondmusic (Post 447041)
Hey Aydee-
Thanks for the compliments on the Whitlock/Krantz stuff. As far as Krantz, he's been using different guys for quite a few years now. Ari Hoenig, Dafnis Prieto, Anton Fig, etc. I've been doing some of those gigs lately. There are a few videos out there, and I am on some his last record "Your basic live '06". There is a video of us from a year or so ago on my myspace page:

Thanks for listening-
CA

Will definitely check those out,thanks again, Cliff.

btw,I gotta tell you, last night I jammed with some people in a bar ( streched out chicken, actual proof,etc..) and all I could think of while I was playing was your free-flowing, effortless playing on the Baked Potato gig on youtube.
So when I got a few compliments afterwards, I told them it was'nt all me, it was partly Cliff Almond.

Thanks for the inspiration; )

Cliffalmondmusic 06-12-2008 03:59 AM

Thanks Aydee-
Happy you liked it. That was a fun gig. I didn't know at that time that it would end up on utube.....but there it is.
That being said.... there is a new video of a latin trade between Cafe and myself in Boston. Here is the link if you want to check it out. Cafe is killing (as usual)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFgXT00BEZo

thanks-
CA

Cliffalmondmusic 09-17-2008 01:06 AM

Hey Everyone-
FYI I will be in Germany from 9/20-9/30 doing a record, some live gigs w/Kim Barth and Mike Mossman, and some Masterclasses with Phil Maturano. For More info please see my Myspace page.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=190668963

Thanks-
CA

SickRick 10-02-2008 12:43 AM

Hey Cliff, this is Lutz (SickRick is a shorty for StickTrick).

Man you totally kicked my ass today and on Sunday. Thanks for making all this possible and for every little word of advice. I'm blown away - this day will make a huge difference in our bandplaying and in my whole life and career as a drummer. It feels funny - when I went to LAMA I still had to learn a lot of shit drummingwise (getting my hands and coordination together, learning TONS of rhythms and timing... all that kind of stuff). Today is different: I feel that I can play what I want to play technically, its more a matter of how to play it. It makes a huge difference. It seems like now would be a much better time to learn than back when I still had to learn so much of the basics...

So therefore today and Sunday was fantastic, I (and all the other guys in the band) hope that we can repeat that as soon as possible.

To anybody reading this, wondering what the hell I'm talking about: Cliff and Phil coached my band Dreadnut Inc. today for three hours and kicked my ass real hard. I'm depressed already, but also motivated to make all the little adjustments that hopefully will make the big difference. Still, I feel like a total beginner now.

Both Phil and Cliff truly are two of the very best players that I have ever seen in my life (and trust me: I've seen many), both with wonderful feel and touch and an incredible sense of groove. I'll be doing all the exercises they've given me and I'll try to follow all the advice best as I can.

It was wonderful to meet you guys and hang with you. Sorry for the German weather though...

To everybody: Check out Phils books, they are great! Also check out Cliffs online lessons (I don't know them yet, but if they are only half as good as his real lessons, they must be incredible).

Best, Lutz

frankbriggs 12-17-2008 06:40 AM

Hey Cliff
Happy Holidays...you Rock!
I need to check out some of the great lessons you have on your site.
All the best
Frank

Matty G. 12-23-2008 06:25 AM

Hey Cliff,

Boy, I'll never forget seeing you play with Michel Camilo in San Francisco a few years ago - great performance! Also, love your playing on Thru My Eyes. You've severely influenced my approach to playing St. Thomas :)

My question, when it comes to doing fills in latin music, such as on a songo in a latin jazz setting, what are the rules for creating phrases that expand upon the basic groove without destroying it? I've been playing the songo and other latin grooves for years but still have a relatively limited vocabulary when it comes to making longer phrases, fills, etc. I try to avoid playing fills that goes right to '1', cause they seem too obvious. On the other hand, I don't want to play too complex, over the barline, etc. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions?

Joe Morris 01-07-2009 09:44 AM

Cliff, Joe Morris here. Hey man I just wanted to say that your drumming on "One More Once" stands alone man. That CD inspired me for years and still does. Great Work!!

Joe

aydee 01-07-2009 10:43 AM

Cliff, who's playing bass with you & Krantz on your myspace?.... the man is cooking.

You, of course I can listen to forever.

cheers,

Swiss Matthias 01-12-2009 11:32 PM

Hi Cliff

I absolutely love your playing on Michel Camilo's One More Once!! Unfortunately I don't know any other work of yours, but I'll sure check your homepage and your myspace out!

Keep it up!
Matthias

Luis 03-12-2009 11:19 PM

Hi Cliff...

I've got some M.Camilo's Cds...and I must say your playing is amazing...

Cheers !
LG

Cliffalmondmusic 03-19-2009 03:52 PM

Hey Guys- Thanks for all the kind words. I haven't been able to log on for a while due to some password issues, but here I am. I will answer these questions shortly, but for now im just checking in. Been getting alot of email about Camilo recently. Im going to be working with him for the next few months starting in April 2009. It will be my first time playing with him consistently for quite a few years. So if you see we are around please come out.

More Soon-
CA

Cliffalmondmusic 06-22-2009 05:24 PM

Hey Everyone-
Again, thanks for the nice words here about the one more once CD, videos, etc. FYI it looks like there is a possibilty of the entire live DVD/CD of this band being released soon. I keep getting emails about this on my website, but i don't have any specfics as to when or where it will be available. I will post something about it when I know more, but for now im in the dark on this one. I don't know where you guys heard about this, but thanks for letting me know about it.

also thanks for the feedback on the newest lesson that I put up....

CA