DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Igor Cavalera (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3506)

MECHT4NK 10-23-2005 02:19 AM

Igor Cavalera

3 Attachment(s)
I noticed no one had mentioned him before so I like to start a thread about igor cavalera of sepultura to hear what people think of him. I like to listen to sepultura every once in a while and I like his playing. also I think he plays a very interesting setup using tom sizes normal people use for floors as rack toms.

Doom 10-23-2005 06:19 PM

Re: Igor Cavalera

Igor is my personal favourite drummer, its great to see other fans of him.

LordQuas 10-24-2005 01:10 AM

The only song I know of Sepultura is "Roots". I think I should hear some more stuff of Sepultura.....

Doom 10-24-2005 09:01 PM

Roots is a very cool song but its overplayed. Not by radio standards or anything but considering how many songs they have its ridiculous how many people cover Roots Bloody Roots.

Igor said in an interview that he's considering making a drum DVD. A Sepultura show with cameras all over the drums, but I dont know if there would be an teaching or anything like that, he didnt elaborate much.

South African Drummer 10-25-2005 07:03 PM

I can't believe you people have only heard Roots!!! That album Sucks compared to Albums like Arise and Beneath the Remains! Igor rules the Double Bass on Beneath the Remains on songs like Lobotomy and Hungry! I wish I could Jam like this dude! I saw them when they toured South Africa and he really is inspirational...

the nameless 10-25-2005 09:05 PM

hey yaall
i think igor is one of the greatest drummers
wall wath joey jordison and dave silveria of course
but where did you get those pics?
who do yoa think is better max cavalera or dereck green?

MECHT4NK 10-25-2005 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the nameless
but where did you get those pics?

got 'em from the sepultura website. the first two were taken during the recording of their last album and the other one was taken during a live performance.

Gabe 10-26-2005 07:46 AM

The best drummer..

For me the best drummer, I meet him in the chaos ad tour in Tijuana Mexico, I was in high school and I went to the concert hours before it start and wait for the band in the back of the place and finally they arrive...the first band start playing and every body left but I stay there until he go out to have dinner and I aproach him and took some pictures of me and him and he also sign my drumhead...hes a cool a guy and down to earth...I recomend the video from the spain tour you can see there a lot of him playing...

Gabe...

Doom 10-31-2005 05:32 PM

Have any of you head Leech on the Roorback album? He does a typical metal fast fill but how does it sound so fantastic? If you havent heard it you should just get the album, theres alot of cool drumming on it.

Timekeep69 10-31-2005 07:32 PM

I love Igor's playing. I met him once in 97, very cool guy. The beginning to Territory is incredible.

TampaDrummer 10-31-2005 08:48 PM

Oh man where to start on this guy...

The first Sepultura album I ever bought was Arise and I was hooked. Igor has always been a big inspiration in my playing, even if I'm not playing metal. I love his current drumset, the giant toms with the 18x20 kicks... ...looks fantastic. I can't imagine how well those boomy toms blend with those punchy ass kick drums. Anyway, a lot of you are missing out if you've only heard Roots... ...there is definately much more to the bands music & Igor's drumming than that. Anything after Chaos A.D. seemed a little watered down as far as the drumming goes. If you want to hear some really groovy death metal (yes death metal can groove) and some really tasteful/powerful drumming, pick up Arise.

-Bradley

Doom 11-02-2005 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TampaDrummer
I can't imagine how well those boomy toms blend with those punchy ass kick drums.

Thing is he's using triggers now and the toms and the bass drums just have a massive smack sound, obviously different for each drum. I prefered his toms normal and his basses triggered. It was more natural and thus blended better I think.

JT1 11-11-2005 11:43 AM

Mass Hypnosis and Primitive Future possibly the fastest double bass ive ever heard used in a song.

TheMetalMilitia 11-14-2005 01:31 PM

Igor Cavalera is possibly the best metal drummer ever along with lars ulrich, Vinnie Paul and joey jordison and sepultura kick ass

candlemass 11-15-2005 01:30 AM

He rules, indeed.

And I love his kit as well, when you see it live, it feels like it's punching your stomach.

Doom 11-15-2005 02:42 AM

I just watched Sepulturas new DVD. If anyone wants to see truly aggrssive drumming, watch it.

ventor 03-23-2006 12:13 PM

I am also with the opinion that Arise is the best Record... Its a pity that his brother Max left to found the s...band Soulfly, because later Sepultura albums arent so good. the funny thing is that Igor also played extremely superb on the first release Morbid Visions (where the rest of the band including the producer) really sucked, but he was fast and intense even at that time. Cool drummer

Doom 03-25-2006 05:36 PM

I saw Sepultura again on wednesday night. Igor didnt play tho, they had Roy Mayorga who played with Soulfly. I met him before the show, he seemed cool.
And he played really really well. Cool kit also.

ventor 03-27-2006 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doom
I saw Sepultura again on wednesday night. Igor didnt play tho, they had Roy Mayorga who played with Soulfly. I met him before the show, he seemed cool.
And he played really really well. Cool kit also.

I have read that he was replaced for some shows because he became father short time ago, so the soulfly drummer is doing the job for a short while...

Crazy 03-27-2006 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by South African Drummer
I can't believe you people have only heard Roots!!! That album Sucks compared to Albums like Arise and Beneath the Remains! Igor rules the Double Bass on Beneath the Remains on songs like Lobotomy and Hungry! I wish I could Jam like this dude! I saw them when they toured South Africa and he really is inspirational...

I agree man, the guy was a genius thrash metal (or whatever you wanna call it) drummer when Sepultura started....how old was he back then....something between 16 and 17 ?

Crazy 03-27-2006 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MECHT4NK
I noticed no one had mentioned him before so I like to start a thread about igor cavalera of sepultura to hear what people think of him. I like to listen to sepultura every once in a while and I like his playing. also I think he plays a very interesting setup using tom sizes normal people use for floors as rack toms.

..thx for the pix and the for posting this thread

Doom 03-29-2006 11:13 PM

As for why he's not on this tour, yeah its because he recently became a father again. He wants to stay with his new son and new wife.

And he was 13 when he and Max started the band, so probably 16,17 when they started recording. He's 35 now.

Chris 03-30-2006 12:06 AM

Igor is a bad ass. My first Sepultura record was "Arise" and him and the band blew me away. Even some of their new stuff is kool. Not as good as the old stuff with max though.

wardrums 09-24-2006 10:41 AM

I started to use low flor toms when I first heard seputura,they sound mouch cooler when I play sepultura songs, but they totaly changed my style, now I dont use the hy-hat as mouch as I uset to!

doublebass 10-03-2006 10:06 PM

Really good thrash drummer,just one question.HOW THE HELL CAN HE PLAY WITH THE TOMS PLACED LIKE THIS????

h3r3tic 10-04-2006 01:47 AM

Hes an excelent drummer. The he plays on the toms... you know those cool tribalistic tom patterns really RULE!

JayDVee009 01-31-2007 10:39 AM

Nice to hear mention of Igor Cavalera!

He's been one of my influences for many years now since the very early 90's.

He's a very powerful drummer with great rhythm especially when he starts blasting out some tribal beats and hammers that kit along with those heavy Sepultura riffs.... Yeah!

Music designed to be listened to LOUD! ;)

Doom 02-07-2007 08:03 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkJniOCO7Is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91K-WxSFYUg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMqHCywzG7Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ln14cAI8M4

Here are some videos of the man at work

clepri2000 11-23-2007 07:07 AM

Igor is my favorite drummer ever. He's also the most under-rated metal drummer ever! Everyone says that Vinnie Paul brought groove back into metal, but I know its Igor. The stuff he did on Chaos A.D. and Roots was groundbreaking. No one played like that before. I love that last video above. When he hits his china and snare right at the end, it sounds like a sonic boom! I'm almost positive he plays his toms flat like that cause either A, he has to due to their size, or B, he does it to rim shot all his tom hits easier. Im banking on the rim shots.

7DaysToTheWolves 08-23-2008 08:49 AM

This may be a bit of a dead topic, but the discussion of Igor Cavalera should nowhere near be the end of him. He's definitely an inspiration along with many others.
I got into Sepultura and Soulfy in the early 00's. Only hardcopy cd I own is Roots, but Arise and Chaos A.D. are among my top favorite albums of all time (atleast metal speaking).

Though Igor may be not be ergonomical when it comes to his kit, he's still a brainchild in the metal-evolving world.

metal overlord 08-23-2008 07:59 PM

Yeah Max & Igor Rock!

TitanSound 08-23-2008 11:48 PM

Love the sound he gets out of that snare. A really, really nice CRACK!

kwolf68 08-24-2008 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by South African Drummer (Post 34855)

Ahh yes, the old school cometh. Beneath the Remains was brutal. Arise wasn't quite as aggressive as BTR, but still a great thrash CD.

Lead 08-26-2008 09:16 PM

Igor's drum set , that he's currently using with Cavalera Conspiracy . What is the size of the center mounted tom on his kit ? It appears to be a 15x16 ??

7DaysToTheWolves 08-26-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lead (Post 473621)
Igor's drum set , that he's currently using with Cavalera Conspiracy . What is the size of the center mounted tom on his kit ? It appears to be a 15x16 ??

It's a 16" mounted floor tom, and a bit big to be using as a mounted tom, but it does have a nice feel to it.

Ian Williams 08-28-2008 04:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello, colleagues.

Listen to B-Sides, an excellent record.

All the Best,

7DaysToTheWolves 08-29-2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwilliams (Post 474187)
Hello, colleagues.

Listen to B-Sides, an excellent record.

All the Best,

Oh my, yes.

That's probably got my most favored stuff by them.

drummingdunc 04-25-2009 03:01 PM

Chaos AD was the 1st proper metal album I heard. 'Amen' scared me a little, but what a groove! Also I remember one time I fell asleep listening to the album and woke up to the spooky laughs and screams at the end. Freaked me out man!
Don't really like the newer stuff, but his tribal style has really influenced me as a fledgling drummer. 'Propaganda' live is crazy, BTR and Arise are monumental, and I like Morbid Visions just for the album cover. It looks like a 12 year old drew it! And obviously 'The Curse' is comedy gold.
Apparently when they went in to record the 1st album, Igor had never played with his feet before. He learnt it in the studio.

And another thing, does anyone know about the toms he used for 'Schizophrenia'? They have a real 80's electro pop tone, but I seriously doubt he used electronics then.

metal overlord 04-25-2009 05:39 PM

Ah, Igor. One of my main men in my drumming.
Max & Igor are some of my biggest metal idols.

Theres this one vid where Igors son/nephew plays for Cavalera Conpsiracy on stage.