DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drum Technique (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Pat Petrillo Transcription (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33898)

Terry Branam 12-21-2007 06:50 PM

Pat Petrillo Transcription
 
Hey everybody,

I just got finished with this one from Mr. Petrillo.

Some great ideas in this solo. Odd note groupings, visual effects, cross-overs and over the barline phrasing. A lot of things to learn from here!

I really had fun with this.

Here you go...

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2...rilloezlv2.jpg


I will probably transcribe the entire song soon when I get the time (after the holiday gigs). I will keep you all posted.

Here's the video link:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/p...lloezfill.html

Happy Holidays and enjoy!

Terry

Pat Petrillo 12-22-2007 03:21 PM

Re: Pat Petrillo Transcription
 
Terry

I didn't think that I played that many notes ! :)

Thanks sooo much for an AMAZING job...I'm flattered you took the time to do this. You are very talented.

I'll have to learn it so I can play it again one day...

All the Best

pasta 12-24-2007 12:05 AM

Re: Pat Petrillo Transcription
 
Hey Pat,

Just opened your new DVD today and am loving it. Really cool and challenging grooves, etc.
Just a suggestion for future editions if you don't mind. Could you have the editor list the CD tracks in the book next to each transcription of your rudiment, groove or fill?
Also the CD with those super long play alongs is awesome.
Thanks a lot.

Pasta

fourstringdrums 12-24-2007 12:19 AM

Re: Pat Petrillo Transcription
 
Terry I'm a bit confused by how you notated some of the drums. Is the bass drum supposed to be the note below the stave and the hi-hat foot the x underneath the line under the stave? If so, what is the note with the circle around it on the last space? I've always seen that spot reserved for the bass drum and the hi-hat is placed as an x under the stave.

sovereign76 12-24-2007 03:06 AM

Re: Pat Petrillo Transcription
 
Hey Fourstring,

You've got it right with the bass and hi-hat w/ foot. The notes above and below the snare line with circles around them are tom's. This is a standard way of notating tom hit's. As for having the bass notated under the last line of the staff, this is common too. Having the hi-hat w/ foot under a ledger line, below the staff, in this case allows for less clutter when the bass and hi-hat are played with the feet at the same time (on the 1 of bar 2, for example). To me, this makes things read a bit more linear than when the two notes are on either side of the same note stem.

That's how I figure the reasoning for this notation style. Easier designation of tom hits and everything lines up on one side of a note stem. The lining up part is nice to me.

Chris

fourstringdrums 12-24-2007 03:19 AM

Re: Pat Petrillo Transcription
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sovereign76 (Post 391335)
Hey Fourstring,

You've got it right with the bass and hi-hat w/ foot. The notes above and below the snare line with circles around them are tom's. This is a standard way of notating tom hit's. As for having the bass notated under the last line of the staff, this is common too. Having the hi-hat w/ foot under a ledger line, below the staff, in this case allows for less clutter when the bass and hi-hat are played with the feet at the same time (on the 1 of bar 2, for example). To me, this makes things read a bit more linear than when the two notes are on either side of the same note stem.

That's how I figure the reasoning for this notation style. Easier designation of tom hits and everything lines up on one side of a note stem. The lining up part is nice to me.

Chris

Oh alright. I've never seen that. I've always seen the hi-hat below the last ledger line, and the bass on the last space.

Korompay 12-26-2007 04:27 PM

Re: Pat Petrillo Transcription
 
Dear Terry!
Bernhard finally added your transcriptions into the drumclinic section!
I'm glad to see that!

Pat Petrillo 12-26-2007 08:39 PM

Re: Pat Petrillo Transcription
 
Pasta

Thanks, man, I 'm really glad you are diggin it! Keep me informed as to your progress.

All the Best

Vic_Rattledeth 12-26-2007 09:59 PM

Re: Pat Petrillo Transcription
 
Wow, great transcription. This'll keep me busy for a while, thanks!

Terry Branam 12-26-2007 10:49 PM

Re: Pat Petrillo Transcription
 
Thank you everyone for the kind compliments. I really enjoy doing these projects. There is so much to learn!

Korompay, thank you. To say I'm honored is a huge understatement.

http://www.drummerworld.com/watchlis...ry_Branam.html

Thank you so much everyone!

Stay tuned....

Terry

gusty 01-07-2008 05:55 AM

Re: Pat Petrillo Transcription
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry B. (Post 392070)
Thank you everyone for the kind compliments. I really enjoy doing these projects. There is so much to learn!

Korompay, thank you. To say I'm honored is a huge understatement.

http://www.drummerworld.com/watchlis...ry_Branam.html

Thank you so much everyone!

Stay tuned....

Terry

Wow, great job on making the Watchlist. Your transcriptions are great, but I never knew you were also a great player. Any audio of your playing?

Terry Branam 01-07-2008 08:09 AM

Re: Pat Petrillo Transcription
 
Hi Gusty,

Thank you for checking out the page and the transcriptions.

As far as the audio, I have a bunch of stuff on my hard drive right now. There is some stuff in the works that I am going to be really proud of. I will keep you all posted..

gusty 01-07-2008 11:01 AM

Re: Pat Petrillo Transcription
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry B. (Post 396442)
Hi Gusty,

Thank you for checking out the page and the transcriptions.

As far as the audio, I have a bunch of stuff on my hard drive right now. There is some stuff in the works that I am going to be really proud of. I will keep you all posted..

Awsome, sounds good.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com