DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Your First Concert (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33313)

Tom B. 12-03-2007 01:39 AM

Your First Concert

Mine was Smashmouth at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia, PA, I was only 7 and don't remember much about it though.

I last saw The Black Crowes a month or two ago coincidentally also at the Electric Factory. I was really confused because they didn't play Remedy, Hard to Handle, She Talks to Angels, or Twice As Hard. That's like their 4 most popular songs.

rmandelbaum 12-03-2007 02:57 AM

Re: Your First Concert

Mine was RUSH with Pat Travers opening, What a great show that was.

Mr. Pasquini 12-03-2007 03:50 AM

Rob Zombie and Godsmack at Verizon Wireless amphitheater

KILLER show!

DreamTheater4life 12-03-2007 03:53 AM

Weird Al Yankovic at the Westbury Music Fair in NY. front row tickets 2 hrs before the show started hahaha. great show.

burnthehero 12-03-2007 04:03 AM

Phil Collins....so long ago I can't even remember when it was. Went with a friend and his parents. Even though it was long before I played drums, I specifically remember him playing a drum solo and thinking it was pretty cool.

fourstringdrums 12-03-2007 04:10 AM

Mine was Black Sabbath on their reunion tour with Pantera for my 18th birthday in '99. My sister rented a limo and we took it to the show. Great time :)

Mapex589 12-03-2007 04:16 AM

The Police on the "Ghost In The Machine" tour in 1982. That is when I knew I wanted to play drums.

KCDrummer 12-03-2007 04:18 AM

I saw the band Death (remember them? Gene Hogland on drums) when I was like 14 or something at some rat hole in Albuquerque. That wasn't that big a show, so maybe the one that really counts is when I saw Pantera a couple years later.

That's right. Pantera.

fourstringdrums 12-03-2007 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCDrummer (Post 384318)

That's right. Pantera.

They put on an amazing show. Seeing them with Sabbath was as much of a thrill as seeing Sabbath themselves.

After the show, Vinnie was flinging his China's into the audience like a frisbee....to be the fan that they decapitated... :)

Mapex589 12-03-2007 04:26 AM

No No.....Death definitely counts. That is a killer first show.

ludwigvondrumcrazy 12-03-2007 05:33 AM

My first was Chicago Transit Authority at Pine Knob, third row, front & center. Danny Seraphine made quite an impression on a young wannabe Drummer (me) who had just picked up a 4-5 year old used set of white marine pearl Ludwig SuperClassics built back in 1965. I'll never forget that night, what a Group!

LVDC

rendezvous_drummer 12-03-2007 07:56 AM

My first concert was KISS when I was 9...that was 10 years ago and I remember every minute of it!

KCDrummer 12-03-2007 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer (Post 384365)
My first concert was KISS when I was 9...that was 10 years ago and I remember every minute of it!

Wow, between the band and your age at the time, I think maybe you win this round!

razorx 12-03-2007 12:28 PM

i saw kiss when i was seven, i went to ozzfest the year before. That was my first concert.

GW Drums 12-03-2007 03:23 PM

Kiss-Creatures of the Night Tour-1983. Last tour with make up before they revealed their faces. Eric Carr on drums...........he was great!! Night Ranger opened up.

cnw60 12-03-2007 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ludwigvondrumcrazy (Post 384336)
My first was Chicago Transit Authority at Pine Knob, third row, front & center. Danny Seraphine made quite an impression on a young wannabe Drummer (me) who had just picked up a 4-5 year old used set of white marine pearl Ludwig SuperClassics built back in 1965. I'll never forget that night, what a Group!

LVDC

Same band for me (at Blossom Music Center near Akron, Ohio) - although I don't remember exactly what year - '71 - '72 maybe, so I would have been 11 or so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCDrummer (Post 384368)
Wow, between the band and your age at the time, I think maybe you win this round!

I wish I could claim this one for myself - but a buddy in college would have beat us all. His older brother took him to see the Beatles when he was six years old, - what a bro'!

nebula821 12-03-2007 03:49 PM

I saw Godsmack in a place called Malibu Alley (very small venue). That was in '99 so they weren't really big yet but they put on an awesome show. Sully never got behind the kit but he did some hand drum stuff with the drummer. For some strange reason I don't remember a lot of the show, everything got sort of 'cloudy' at some point :)

Just Drums 12-03-2007 06:26 PM

The Scorpions back in 82-83 or something like that. It was the Love At First Sting tour. Very cool for a 12-13 yr old!

bonzolead 12-03-2007 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmandelbaum (Post 384298)
Mine was RUSH with Pat Travers opening, What a great show that was.

As much as I like Neal Peart my friend saw the same show in Detroit and he said Tommy Aldridge which I also like blew Neal away solo wise.any comments

Bonzolead

bonzolead 12-03-2007 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ludwigvondrumcrazy (Post 384336)

LVDC

That's funny my first concert was the J.Geils band at the Flint IMA in 78' that was back when freesbee's were thrown at concerts they open with "One last kiss" and Peter Wolf was taking his mic stand and pole vaulting over stacked Marshall cabs. what a crazy guy.

Bonzolead

drum.lad 12-03-2007 10:46 PM

foo fighters in 2000 at the front row that was the first of 7 times i would see them i love that band so much great live

That Guy 12-04-2007 12:15 AM

1981 - "Motley Crue" at The Whiskey in Los Angeles. I was 4 years old and loved every minute of it.

bojangleman 12-04-2007 12:53 AM

i saw the Blue Man Group when i was like 9 or 10. that is what inspired me to play the drums..ohh man, they put on one heck of a show!! if anyone of yall have a chance to see them..do it!

Alex

Fur drummer 12-04-2007 05:06 AM

Aerosmith in 1976 at Cobo Arena in Detroit.

bonzolead 12-04-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fur drummer (Post 384640)
Aerosmith in 1976 at Cobo Arena in Detroit.

Love seeing the Detroit referances was Ted Nugent & Foghat at that same concert?My cousin raves of that concert but I think it was at the Pontiac Pimple(Silverdome) LOL

Bonzolead

rmandelbaum 12-04-2007 03:45 PM

here is my take.

Neil played his normal, same every time precise like a machine technical solo. So for a Peart fan that is exactly what you want to see.

First I have to sat Travers in general was on fire! the band was at it's peak. Aldridge's solo was exactly what you would expect from him, lots of fire, lots of flash, It was great.

They are two completely different players and they both did what they do best. I would not say one was better then the other they were both great,

If I remember correctly I saw that show at the San Bernardino Swing Auditorium.

bonzolead 12-04-2007 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmandelbaum (Post 384729)
here is my take.

Neil played his normal, same every time precise like a machine technical solo. So for a Peart fan that is exactly what you want to see.

First I have to sat Travers in general was on fire! the band was at it's peak. Aldridge's solo was exactly what you would expect from him, lots of fire, lots of flash, It was great.

They are two completely different players and they both did what they do best. I would not say one was better then the other they were both great,

If I remember correctly I saw that show at the San Bernardino Swing Auditorium.

Either way what a cool concert and really I think both drummers were at there peak or damn close if my memory is correct that would've been the "Go for what you know" tour for PT and "Moving Pictures" for Rush what a show indeed.

Keep Swatting,
Bonzolead

Fur drummer 12-05-2007 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzolead (Post 384713)
Love seeing the Detroit referances was Ted Nugent & Foghat at that same concert?My cousin raves of that concert but I think it was at the Pontiac Pimple(Silverdome) LOL

Bonzolead

No, I can't remember who the opening band was. Yea Nuge and Foghat were at the Pontiac Plastic Dome,LOL. Although I did see Foghat at Cobo. I saw ELP at Cobo in the 70's also. I remember Palmer doing a really cool solo.

harryconway 12-05-2007 07:14 AM

1970 - Melanie, the 1st anniversary of Woodstock, at Boston's Harvard Stadium.

EDogg 12-05-2007 10:32 AM

Mine was Muse at Auckland's Vector Area. Whoa, I've gotta say they deserve their Best Live Act status. Sound and lighting was perfect, everything was just so. Dominic Howard wasn't bad either, from where I was in the mosh I could get a good look at what he was doing.

ludwigvondrumcrazy 12-05-2007 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzolead (Post 384506)
That's funny my first concert was the J.Geils band at the Flint IMA in 78'

I went to a lot of Concert's at the IMA, way more than I can remember. My neighbor's Dad used to be an Usher there, which gave some good access...........

My favorite venue around here was Sherwood Forest. I spent so much time out there that I finally got hired on as a Stage Hand, which also made for some good access, well, when I wasn't moving gear around. Worked from 7 in the a.m. til 2 in the a.m., all for the princely sum of $10, but that was back in the early 70's, $$ went a little further back in those days...........

LVDC

bonzolead 12-05-2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ludwigvondrumcrazy (Post 385015)
I went to a lot of Concert's at the IMA, way more than I can remember. My neighbor's Dad used to be an Usher there, which gave some good access...........

My favorite venue around here was Sherwood Forest. I spent so much time out there that I finally got hired on as a Stage Hand, which also made for some good access, well, when I wasn't moving gear around. Worked from 7 in the a.m. til 2 in the a.m., all for the princely sum of $10, but that was back in the early 70's, $$ went a little further back in those days...........

LVDC

boy you got that right nowadays if you and your girl want to go to a concert between tickets,eats & drinks you might as well plan on spending about $150-$200 U.S.D and that's not even for a top-notch act.I think the only band I would spend a lot of money for has got to be Led-Zeppelin if they do a world or at least U.S. tour.we can only hope.

Keep Swatting,
Bonzolead

bonzolead 12-05-2007 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fur drummer (Post 384924)
No, I can't remember who the opening band was. Yea Nuge and Foghat were at the Pontiac Plastic Dome,LOL. Although I did see Foghat at Cobo. I saw ELP at Cobo in the 70's also. I remember Palmer doing a really cool solo.

Carl Palmer does one of the coolest solos i've ever seen.how he does the old Krupa flip-stick trick totally cool.

Bonzolead

baz 12-06-2007 02:20 AM

...1976, April Wine with Heart at the Kinsman Fieldhouse in Edmonton Alberta.

Does anybody over fourty remember their second concert ?

Barry

drummerchick435 12-06-2007 03:04 AM

SECULAR
Dave Matthews Band - Atlanta, GA - 2004 (?)
CHRISTIAN
Steven Curtis Chapman - Birmingham, AL - 2000 (?)

drumr0 12-06-2007 01:47 PM

1986 Bryan Adams Heat of the Night concert Patty Smythe (The Warrior) opened for him.

Ahhh memories....

mikei 12-07-2007 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GW Drums (Post 384401)
Kiss-Creatures of the Night Tour-1983. Last tour with make up before they revealed their faces. Eric Carr on drums...........he was great!! Night Ranger opened up.

Same Kiss tour for me. 1983 at what was Irvine Meadows. Motley Crue opened for them. Great entertaining show. I saw my heroes that night.

It was the first time hearing Crue. I remember asking my dad about the "girl" singer in the band. He just chuckled and said it was a guy.

I also remember freaking out because it was the first time I ever saw anyone doing drugs in my life. I was 13 at the time. My dad had to calm me down.

My dad did a great job. To this day, I have never ever tried any drug in my life!!! Been drunk only a handful of times!

columbus 12-07-2007 02:08 AM

My first real concert was Primus Tour de Fromage in Atlanta in early 04. It was a life changing experience.

bonzolead 12-07-2007 04:03 PM

[quote=columbus;385620]My first real concert was Primus Tour de Fromage in Atlanta in early 04. It was a life changing experience.[/QUOTE/] Great first concert was that the orig. Primus?Tim Alexander drum playing is sweet and not to mension Les Claypool one of the best bass players ever. yes I said ever.LOL

keep swatting,
Bonzolead

slingerland755 12-07-2007 04:38 PM

1979 Mother's Finest opened for Aerosmith and blew them off the stage at the Omni in Atlanta. Those were Aerosmith's drug days. I remember Steven Tyler acted like his mike was broken during the high parts in "Dream On."