DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   I just discovered the Beatles (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32893)

Finaer 11-19-2007 09:29 PM

I just discovered the Beatles

I was just brwosing youtube and found the original video of 'I want to hold your hand'! Wow. How have i ignored these guys for the last seventeen years of my life??? Sgt Pepper, Let It Be... I have a lot of catching up to do.

Mediocrefunkybeat 11-19-2007 09:55 PM

Re: I just discovered the Beatles

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finaer (Post 379859)
I was just brwosing youtube and found the original video of 'I want to hold your hand'! Wow. How have i ignored these guys for the last seventeen years of my life??? Sgt Pepper, Let It Be... I have a lot of catching up to do.

Welcome to music my friend.

fijjibo 11-19-2007 09:56 PM

I remember the day i discovered them.

I never looked back...

Jon Cable 11-19-2007 10:40 PM

Sadly, I think they have split up now....although rumours of a reunion to support the Spice Girls persist......

rendezvous_drummer 11-19-2007 11:24 PM

I used to hate the Beatles....until I saw across the universe where they played tons of Beatles tunes. I really like them now and i'm 19. I'm in the same boat as you, but by no means are they in my top 20 bands.

Michael G 11-19-2007 11:26 PM

Good band, but I don't like them.

Jusstickinaround 11-20-2007 12:23 AM

Well you've just discovered the holy grail of music my friend, it doesn't get any better than John, Paul, George, and Ringo.

Mediocrefunkybeat 11-20-2007 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround (Post 379924)
Well you've just discovered the holy grail of music my friend, it doesn't get any better than John, Paul, George, and Ringo.

Hey! We agree on something! Deck the Hall!

rmandelbaum 11-20-2007 12:56 AM

You would be hard pressed to find another band that has contributed nearly as much to Rock-N-Roll. There music is timeless. I have been a fan as long as I can remember.

There is so much great stuff you have yet to hear, I almost envy you, it is all new, WOW.

enjoy!!

rendezvous_drummer 11-20-2007 01:03 AM

Quote:

Sure it does. It's called Bono, The Edge, Adam and Larry ;)

Ozzy Biz 11-20-2007 01:07 AM

Quote:

Aye to that. The White Album, Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, Revolver, and Sgt Pepper are their best albums in my eyes.

Speaking of George, I've been listening to one of his projects quite a lot lately. The Travelling Wilburys. George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison (on the first record, he died not long after recording it), Jeff Lynne and Jim Keltner. Not a bad line-up, hey?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer (Post 379942)

That may be possibly considered the case for The Joshua Tree, but I'd still put the Beatles on top.

The one I'd throw out there would be Bob Dylan, Rick Danko, Levon Helm, Garth Hudson, Richard Menuel and Robbie Robertson. Bob Dylan and The Band

TopCat 11-20-2007 01:09 AM

Quote:

Good god, shoot me now.

SilverPearl 11-20-2007 01:18 AM

i'm so sorry...but you did a good job ignoring them so don't feel bad...

rendezvous_drummer 11-20-2007 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopCat (Post 379945)
Good god, shoot me now.

HAHAHAHA NEVER!!!!!!

Mediocrefunkybeat 11-20-2007 01:58 AM

Well... I'm sure Thom, Ed, Colin, Johnny and Phil have got something to say to Edge, Bono, Larry and Adam. I just don't understand his name 'Edge'. He was 'Edge' when he was a spotty teenager. Just to steal a Bill Bailey reference.

rendezvous_drummer 11-20-2007 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat (Post 379962)
Well... I'm sure Thom, Ed, Colin, Johnny and Phil have got something to say to Edge, Bono, Larry and Adam. I just don't understand his name 'Edge'. He was 'Edge' when he was a spotty teenager. Just to steal a Bill Bailey reference.

Thom, Ed, Colin, Johnny and Phil are genious! In fact, i'm listening to them right now.

TopCat 11-20-2007 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer (Post 379986)
Thom, Ed, Colin, Johnny and Phil are genious! In fact, i'm listening to them right now.

Mad irony, sorry, couldn't resist.

rendezvous_drummer 11-20-2007 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopCat (Post 379988)
Mad irony, sorry, couldn't resist.

Pish, irony how?! haha

stasz 11-20-2007 05:33 AM

In regards to the original poster...

Listen to as much of this band as you can and don't stop listening. You'd be surprised how much you can learn from listen to them. And plus the music is just fantastic.

aydee 11-20-2007 05:58 AM

Discovering the Beatles is the same thing as discovering yourself. Any popular music that you listen to, you could probably trace back to the fab four.

katman 11-20-2007 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz (Post 379943)
Aye to that. The White Album, Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, Revolver, and Sgt Pepper are their best albums in my eyes.

Ditto there. The earlier albums are fun and poppy, but have little depth to the songwriting. Abbey Road is an album you can really get stuck into with such a wide range of songs. And some of the White Album is so far ahead of its time we still haven't quite caught up. It also contains the best rock vocals Paul McCartney ever mustered on Helter Skelter. I love it when he belts out "...till I get to the bottom and I see you again!"

Muckster 11-20-2007 04:00 PM

I always thought The Beatles were goofy....always preferred the Stones. However, i "discovered" Sgt. Pepper and the next thing you know, i have the complete discography.
Funny how that works.

Leadfoot 11-20-2007 05:35 PM

Quote:

Not. Not in this or any other century.
As for the Beatles, you can thank them for us being able to do what we do now. Some of their peace & love crap does get on my nerves a little, but they are worthy of dubious distinction.

rendezvous_drummer 11-20-2007 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leadfoot (Post 380168)
Not. Not in this or any other century.
As for the Beatles, you can thank them for us being able to do what we do now. Some of their peace & love crap does get on my nerves a little, but they are worthy of dubious distinction.

I really don't want to get into a full on U2-Beatles debate, that wasn't the point of my post haha

Ozzy Biz 11-21-2007 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer (Post 380189)
I really don't want to get into a full on U2-Beatles debate, that wasn't the point of my post haha

It wouldn't be a debate, sorry Bono.

rendezvous_drummer 11-21-2007 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz (Post 380301)
It wouldn't be a debate, sorry Bono.

Hahahahaha, this forum never loses it's sense of humour (in a good way)

Jusstickinaround 11-21-2007 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat (Post 379936)
Hey! We agree on something! Deck the Hall!

Ok, now don't start getting all mushy.