DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   guitar tuner (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32568)

ExPLiciT 11-08-2007 01:08 AM

guitar tuner

hey guys i am learing to play guitar and i am having trouble tuning my guitar. i can do it if i hear another guitar. so i was looking to get some sound files of a 6 string acustic guitar from the internet. i could only find some flash items that are great but i am looking to put them onto my ipod so i have it at my disposal. if you guys know of any sites where i can download some audio files or you have some that you can send me i would appreciate it.
~pete~

Ozzy Biz 11-08-2007 01:11 AM

Re: guitar tuner

this is drummerworld.com

ExPLiciT 11-08-2007 01:17 AM

lol i know ive been playing drums for about 4 years and decided to expand my musical knowedge by learing to play guitar.

Porker69 11-08-2007 05:50 AM

get a chromatic tuner and put it in your guitar case. The 20 clams it costs is well worth it.

Bossa Nova 11-08-2007 05:57 AM

Hopefully you can tune all of the other strings if your low E string is correct. Do you know how to do that?

There are about a million rock songs that resolve on a low E, so just find one and tune your low E to it. Then tune the last five strings based on the correct low E.

sio_13 11-08-2007 08:11 AM

Some tuners have built-in pitches. If you can just get the E right, then try this:
The 5th fret on the low E (6th) string is an A.
The 5th fret on the A (5th) string is a D.
The 5th fret on the D (4th) string is a G.
The 4th fret on the G (3rd) string is a B.
The 5th fret on the B (2nd) string is an E, which is the 1st string- you can also achieve this pitch by hitting the harmonic on the 12th fret on the 6th string

I would still recommend getting a tuner, as your guitar will go out of tune because of weather changes, neck tension, etc. you can also use harmonics to tune, it works better and easier for me, but this should get you started. Or, you could go old school and get a tuning fork; most are A-440, and then you can tune you guitar accordingly. No batteries needed...

Mediocrefunkybeat 11-08-2007 03:42 PM

Or you just do like I do, don't own a tuner but can tune by ear adequately without an outside reference.

hauk 11-16-2007 06:18 AM

The only outside reference you really need is for the bottom string.

Mediocrefunkybeat 11-16-2007 04:11 PM

Well, with enough practice you can even eliminate the need for that. I wouldn't do it that way if I were recording, but I've never had a problem tuning without any reference for live use.

fourstringdrums 11-16-2007 04:16 PM

I should add that once you can tune the bottom string, or E without a reference, you can tune the rest of the strings using harmonics. When I played bass I only used a tuner to make sure the A was in tune, then I used harmonics at the 7th fret to bring the other strings in tune.