DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Mp3/Wav files (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31971)

ironman 10-18-2007 02:45 AM

Mp3/Wav files

If this has been done already, please excuse me (I did search first).
Is it possible to post very short Mp3 or wav files here demonstrating
ones drum tuning ? Over the years I've collected various guitar tuners
from actual recorded strings to electronic generated. The differences
though from guitar tuners are they are "fixed". An "A" is an "A" (except for the octave) but drummers tune in all sorts of ways e.g.; 3rds, 5th or have a 2 or 3 tom setup etc., single bass/double bass drums and many tuned to the sound of a favorite drummer. Personally, I'd love a simple one strike per drum tuner that I could loop. I have a difficult time due to severe tinnitus which the ringing/overtones wreak havoc with. I get very frustrated as I'm sure many here do ('specially when I'm tuning "Rockstars" LOL !). I have 14",16" &18" toms and, although the "sound" of Bonham won't be possible for me to duplicate I know, just getting the tuning right would be a big help. OK, so, if this has been done adnausium, fire away !
ps - I "previewed" this and can't get it straightened out !

Wavelength 10-18-2007 09:22 AM

Re: Mp3/Wav files

When writing a post, check out the tool bars at the top of the typing area. Clicking on the paper clip opens the attachment upload window. Browse for the desired file on your hard-drive and upload it. Add the uploaded attachment to your post by clicking on the arrow beside the paper clip and choosing the file.

Bernhard 10-18-2007 11:02 AM

yes, go down a little bit to; "Manage attachments"
There you go, put your files and then push the upload button....

MP3: YES - up to 9 MB, mov: YES,

"""""WAVE and AIFF: NO!!!!! much too big""""

Bernhard

ironman 10-19-2007 03:52 AM

I'm so misunderstood LOL ! Actually, I was hoping one or more enterprising experianced drummer(s) might take the intiative to post
a "drum tuner" in the form of Mp3 or wav file - similar to the guitar tuners available on-line. Personally, I'd like to hear a "Bonham Tuner"
as I play his size drums ('cause I'm having an awful time tuning mine - to the point that I've stopped trying). I'm very frustrated right now. Just bought my 18" to complete the set but between the 14, 16 & 18 I just can't get them in 3rds or the range of his drums. If someone could even isolate just one tom hit on each drum from an existing file they have (of their own drums) I'd be willing to try and make a Flash tuner
(from the guitar tuners I've already downloaded). The other point was a guitar has only one tuning range - I was wrong ! Forgot about "open tunings" etc.Also, I had asked if they may already exist or had the suggestion already been beat into the ground and unworkable. Obviously I communicate with a keyboard as poorly as I tune drums LOL ! Of course I do not expect anyone to jump at my suggestion - just hoping someone might find the idea a good and useful one (as they have on the "guitar" sites). Am I missing something here ? Maybe it's just me - wouldn't be the first time !

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ 10-19-2007 05:31 AM

This is the closest thing you'll find for what you are asking.

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/johnbonhamtech1.html

Honestly, nothing is going to teach you better than spending a lot of time experimenting with the tuning of your drums. For some drummers, tuning their drums is as easy as tuning a guitar (quickly even). They don't need the tuner- just their ears. Similarly, I've played guitar for so long that I can easily tune a guitar without a tuner.

OK, now someone follow up with the link to the Drum Tuning Bible. :)

ironman 10-28-2007 07:29 PM

Thank you for the responses - anyhow, I'm going to try and make a tuner with the last beats of "Out On The Tiles". Happened to hear it the other day and there is a PERFECT one hit around the kit that I should be able to isolate and loop - if I can still remember how to do it. Will post as a "tool" for others. That really is the goal I was aiming for but obviously didn't convey ! Keyboard communication is sometimes lacking ! LOL !