DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Polka Floyd (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31890)

Red Hawk 10-14-2007 10:10 AM

Polka Floyd
 
Ok... I just saw a band out of Toledo called Polka Floyd....

the name might be sort of obvious but they were basically a Pink Floyd tribute band with a catch... all the tunes were in the style of POLKA.

Amazing.

The musicians in the band were all very skilled, and their renditions of floyd tunes were right on. You can check them out at www.myspace.com/polkafloyd and I suggest that you do so.

Hilarious and amazing at the same time...

operati0n_ska 10-26-2007 06:52 AM

Re: Polka Floyd
 
Oh man! Us and Them was awesome! And the intro to Hey You was great, and when it got to the 2nd verse, it was even greater!

bermuda 10-26-2007 06:17 PM

Re: Polka Floyd
 
The idea of doing polka versions of pop/rock music is hardly new... Weird Al's been doing it for over 25 years! (I would venture to say these guys are fans!)

Bermuda

nhzoso 10-26-2007 06:56 PM

Re: Polka Floyd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bermuda (Post 372720)
The idea of doing polka versions of pop/rock music is hardly new... Weird Al's been doing it for over 25 years! (I would venture to say these guys are fans!)

Bermuda


Yeah the thing that makes this good though is it's the original lyrics, not some goofy lyrics that are ho hum after the 1st 2 or 3 times you hear em.

bermuda 10-27-2007 02:31 AM

Re: Polka Floyd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhzoso (Post 372735)
Yeah the thing that makes this good though is it's the original lyrics, not some goofy lyrics that are ho hum after the 1st 2 or 3 times you hear em.

Al's polkas are the original songs' lyrics, and in a few cases are dedicated to one artist (Rolling Stones / "Hot Rocks Polka") or one song (Bohemian Rhapsody / "Bohemian Polka".)

The goofy, ho hum lyrics to which you refer are Al's parodies, and there are several hundred thousand fans who would argue as to how those hold up to repeated listening. :)

Bermuda

GRUNTERSDAD 10-27-2007 03:14 AM

Re: Polka Floyd
 
Sometimes, they just don't know to whom they speak.

rockinrider 10-27-2007 02:45 PM

Re: Polka Floyd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bermuda (Post 372871)
...The goofy, ho hum lyrics to which you refer are Al's parodies, and there are several hundred thousand fans who would argue as to how those hold up to repeated listening. :)...


Count me in as one of those multitudes!...LOL!

"OH NO! He's gonna sit by YOU!"

TheGroceryman 10-27-2007 03:19 PM

Re: Polka Floyd
 
wow honestly i like this version better... The song actually moves unlike some of the pink floyd songs, going really slow.

nhzoso 10-28-2007 03:38 PM

Re: Polka Floyd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD (Post 372882)
Sometimes, they just don't know to whom they speak.


I realize to whom I talk too, I never said anything about Bermuda. In fact I think he is a great drummer and I have much respect for his playing, however that does not mean I like weird Al. Just not for me but to each his own.

Also just because a band has a large fan base does not mean squat as has been pointed out many many times here on this forum.

bermuda 10-28-2007 05:30 PM

Re: Polka Floyd
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhzoso (Post 373221)
I realize to whom I talk too, I never said anything about Bermuda. In fact I think he is a great drummer and I have much respect for his playing, however that does not mean I like weird Al. Just not for me but to each his own.

Also just because a band has a large fan base does not mean squat as has been pointed out many many times here on this forum.


No prob, I just want everyone to be clear that Al's polkas are not to be confused with his parodies (or his original songs that account for 50% of each album.)

And I certainly have nothing against Polka Floyd, I was just pointing out that Al beat them to it by a few decades (just as other artists were doing parodies long before Al.) It's all good.

Bermuda

millerdakiller 10-29-2007 08:53 AM

Re: Polka Floyd
 
must kill polka floyd. blasphemy...


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com