DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   DrummerWorld Site News (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   New Video: JoJo Mayer (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31101)

bballdrummer34 09-17-2007 04:21 AM

New Video: JoJo Mayer

These new videos show yet another dimension of JoJo's musical dexterity. Show me something this man cannot do.
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/j...epartsolo.html

Ozzy Biz 09-17-2007 04:31 AM

Re: New Video: JoJo Mayer

Fly..........................

fourstringdrums 09-17-2007 04:35 AM

If you supply a link, I'll gladly give you 20 characters.

zambizzi 09-17-2007 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz (Post 360718)
Fly..........................

..which is surprising, given how fast he can move his hands.

bballdrummer34 09-17-2007 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourstringdrums (Post 360722)
If you supply a link, I'll gladly give you 20 characters.

thought about that AFTER i posted...

zambizzi 09-17-2007 04:54 AM

The guy is incredible...what more could be said that hasn't been said already. I'd say he's my favorite *living* drummer.

I hope he comes out with a sequel to his video, showing foot technique.

Raymond Bloom 09-17-2007 01:32 PM

Depart - Reloaded is one really great cd, I highly recomend it, fresh, new jazz

you can purchase it at www.departjazz.com (I couldn't find any other places)

stasz 09-17-2007 01:35 PM

That was pretty awesome. The dry sound of his snare of that video is great. Sounds like the jazz tune they're playing is what, 9/8? It was definitely odd-metered.

I'm suprised that more of the guys at my school on the drumline haven't heard of this virtuoso. His playing is really great.

Wavelength 09-17-2007 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself (Post 360821)
Sounds like the jazz tune they're playing is what, 9/8?

It's in 9/4, or 4/4 and 5/4. If you swing the 8th notes in a 9/8 time signature, you get rather "interesting" results.

fijjibo 09-17-2007 05:27 PM

Jojo grew up a Jazzer, so this doesnt surprise me.

It does, however, amaze me - simply cos its Jojo.....

00Schneider 09-17-2007 05:35 PM

The Tune is called "Drei im Quadrat", which means 3² (base 3, exponent 2 - how du you call it in Englisch?). So it starts in 9 and gets scaled down to 6 and 3 in between. Or something like that. That's the thougt of that tune. That's at least a friend of mine said to me, I don't notice such things as quick as he...

And btw. I'm gonna see them again in November! yeah! :-)

Raymond Bloom 09-17-2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00Schneider (Post 360888)
The Tune is called "Drei im Quadrat", which means 3 (base 3, exponent 2 - how du you call it in Englisch?). So it starts in 9 and gets scaled down to 6 and 3 in between. Or something like that. That's the thougt of that tune. That's at least a friend of mine said to me, I don't notice such things as quick as he...

But I'm gonna see them again in Novermber! yeah! :-)

Where, when? I haven't seen their tour dates yet!

Garvin 09-17-2007 05:49 PM

He's a very good drummer, no doubt about it. My only real criticism is that while he is incredible talented, I have noticed that he tends not to be terribly dynamic in soloing. I'm only referring to his volume, not his chops. He tends to keep things all at one bombastic level. I've not followed his career that closely and I'm only speaking from what I've seen on the internet. By no means am I meaning to imply that he's not an absolute monster on the kit. Just an honest observation.

00Schneider 09-17-2007 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond Bloom (Post 360889)
Where, when? I haven't seen their tour dates yet!

Sometimes the Bands Jojo plays in update their schedule regularly... *g*

http://www.jazzpool.ch/depart/start....n=en&nav=dates

I'll be in Nürnberg, November 23rd. :-)

And some more:

http://www.strangeballsoffire.com/co...ndex.php?id=12 (this site must be new, last month I haven't found it yet...)

And maybe there will be some clinics in Germany in October.

stasz 09-17-2007 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wavelength (Post 360827)
It's in 9/4, or 4/4 and 5/4. If you swing the 8th notes in a 9/8 time signature, you get rather "interesting" results.

Whoo... swinging the note value from the bottom half of the time signature is scary to just think about. Don't go there man.

bballdrummer34 09-17-2007 11:55 PM

It didn't surprise me when I saw this video, it just proved to me his strive to be authenic. Few drummers can sound like they are doing justice to the music in every situation thrown at them.

Wavelength 09-18-2007 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself (Post 360970)
Whoo... swinging the note value from the bottom half of the time signature is scary to just think about. Don't go there man.

Hmm? I was just referring to the fact that if you play in 9/8 and swing the eighths, in reality you'll end up with four beats plus one that's one third shorter than the rest; effectively, that's (groups of triplets) 3+3+3+3+2 = 14 / "12" --- but for the sake of conformity, let's just call it 14/16. That's probably not the best time signature for swinging music...

slingerland755 09-18-2007 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garvin (Post 360893)
He's a very good drummer, no doubt about it. My only real criticism is that while he is incredible talented, I have noticed that he tends not to be terribly dynamic in soloing. I'm only referring to his volume, not his chops. He tends to keep things all at one bombastic level. I've not followed his career that closely and I'm only speaking from what I've seen on the internet. By no means am I meaning to imply that he's not an absolute monster on the kit. Just an honest observation.

I don't know Garvin. I was thinking the same thing, but at the crescendo of the solo, he brings it back down. I also really enjoyed how the solo was just a continuation of the tune.

Bernhard 09-18-2007 06:02 PM

Quote:

I have noticed that he tends not to be terribly dynamic in soloing. I'm only referring to his volume, not his chops. He tends to keep things all at one bombastic level.

Remember, that with these handycam recordings and videos they have a automatic level gauge. So all dynamics are lost. Anyway, in reality: in this Depart setting, which i heard live, Jojo is very dynamic.

Bernhard

Deltadrummer 09-18-2007 08:27 PM

Quote:

Jojo is really trying to imitate the sounds and nuance associated with drum machines, perhaps in the process, laying to rest the idea of the drum machine as a replacement for a drummer with real feel. What I love about Jojo is the way his technique is married to his feel and style.

thatoneguy 09-19-2007 01:41 AM

Going to go practice now...

BrynnerAgassi 09-25-2007 06:56 PM

Quote:

You know, I thought I was the only one that ever had noticed that as well. The volume does stay the same, and not in any sort does this take away from his ability, but just volume is really the same through out it all.

Raymond Bloom 09-25-2007 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrynnerAgassi (Post 363426)
You know, I thought I was the only one that ever had noticed that as well. The volume does stay the same, and not in any sort does this take away from his ability, but just volume is really the same through out it all.

Jojo is a master of dynamics, you really need to hear him live to really see how incredibly he manipulates with the sound, volume, tone etc

check out his other solos, you'll found plenty of dynamic changes

BrynnerAgassi 09-26-2007 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond Bloom (Post 363433)
Jojo is a master of dynamics, you really need to hear him live to really see how incredibly he manipulates with the sound, volume, tone etc

check out his other solos, you'll found plenty of dynamic changes

I would love to see JoJo live man, that would be great.

I definitly will look into more of his solos. As a matter of fact im getting the new DVD so I know for a fact that there will be a lot of interesting stuff in there...

But just from my observations, I never saw dynamics with JoJo, but I will promise you this my friend, I will do my research and im sure I will see something!

d.c.drummer 10-09-2007 02:50 AM

if only i could also

Slazaar 11-23-2007 02:55 PM

one of the biggest regrets i have- went to a drum store in the city, walked out....jojo mayer comes in through the very same door 3 days later for a drum clinic..and im sleeping at home on my bed at that time...GAH!

slingerland755 04-30-2008 10:45 PM

I watch this vid all the time. I love how "tight" Jojo plays his kit.