DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Clive Burr (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30929)

Madeira 09-11-2007 11:29 AM

Clive Burr
 
Hi everyone! This is my first post on this forum, and I would like to have a good start...!

I'm looking for some information about Clive Burr (Iron Maiden's first drummer - 1979 - 1982)

http://www.maidenfrance.fr/images/clive1.jpg

What I'm looking for is not personal aspects about his live or his career, or even his disease (Multiple Sclerosis) wich is all well documented on the internet...

What I'm looking for is to know something more about his drum kit in the Iron Maiden years (1979-1982). I would like to know what was the drum kit that he used to play (the brand, model, series, etc.) as well as the Cymbal brands, models and series too...

I must say that I have a bit more interest to know about the Cymbals, as I love their sounds in the Iron Maiden's first three albums (''Iron Maiden'', ''Killers'' and ''The number of the beast'', and I just can't find any information about this on the internet...

I went to Google, Wikipedia, HERE, and some other sites but had no luck in order to find this information...

Could someone please help me? It would be a good information to add to this wonderfull forum as well!

Thank you very much!

Vitor Madeira (Portugal)

Laurent 09-12-2007 01:44 PM

Re: Clive Burr
 
Have you tried to get in touch with him through the Iron Maiden website? Maybe they can help you? Have you tried to contact his cymbal company? Modern Drummer? Good luck.

Madeira 05-26-2008 10:43 AM

Re: Clive Burr
 
Hi again!

Anyone else has any kind of data about his drum kit in the Iron Maiden years (1979-1982)?


Thank you!

Styx 05-26-2008 01:39 PM

Re: Clive Burr
 
Equipment
"Clive used Ludwig drums and Paiste Cymbals on the first two Maiden albums. His most recognised kit was his 1982 custom Tama kit used on the "Beast on the Road Tour":

Bass Drum

22x16
Toms

8x9
10x9
12x11
13x12
16x16
18x16
Snare

14x6.5 (Ludwig Black Beauty)
4 Octobans Gong Bass Drum Camco Pedals Remo Skins

Paiste 2002 Cymbals Crashes 17" 19" 21" 16"(RUDE) Ride 20" HiHats 14"x2 (Paiste 602) Chinas 22" 19"

Ludwig kits: Clive had 2 Ludwig Maple drumsets; the earlier in an off-white color, the later in white cortex. His 2nd kit used the same sizes as his Tama, minus the gong drum and octobans. His 1st Ludwig kit, which he usually played without bottom heads, had the same sizes as his 2nd, but without the 8" tom, and a 14" added after the 13"."

This is what I found on wikipedia.

Madeira 05-28-2008 10:28 AM

Re: Clive Burr
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Styx (Post 442460)
This is what I found on wikipedia.

Thank you Styx!!!

I've been on wikipedia a lot in the past, but it seems like someone added some precious information in the meantime! Great!

Take care!

Ashton Drum's 06-15-2008 11:21 PM

Re: Clive Burr
 
Man I love the fill he does on his toms before the chores on run to the hills pure awesomeness

Ian Williams 06-16-2008 01:09 AM

Re: Clive Burr
 
Dear drummers,

The track I like to play from Clive Burr is Gengis Khan (instrumental) from the album Killers and The Prisoner from the album The Number of the Beast.

All the Best!

Hit 'Em Hard 10-23-2008 09:51 AM

Re: Clive Burr
 
Clive was a big influence on my playing in the early 80's.
Caught him a handful of times on the band's first two US tours.
Even went out bar hopping with him and a buddy of mine who
owned a drum shop... LOL

I'll have to post a pic of his MAIDEN drum stick I have when I can.
The slogan next to his name is "Hit 'Em Hard" which is where
I got my username.

Madeira 10-23-2008 10:34 AM

Re: Clive Burr
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hit 'Em Hard (Post 492823)
Clive was a big influence on my playing in the early 80's.
Caught him a handful of times on the band's first two US tours.
Even went out bar hopping with him and a buddy of mine who
owned a drum shop... LOL

Wow! That would have been great...!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hit 'Em Hard (Post 492823)
I'll have to post a pic of his MAIDEN drum stick I have when I can.
The slogan next to his name is "Hit 'Em Hard" which is where
I got my username.

Sure! Post those pics!


I love Nicko, but Clive had a different approach on drumming... He was somehow... more diverse... he had some more imagination to put different rhythms and fills on the songs...

I still LOVE those 3 first albums...!

Ian Williams 11-04-2008 07:13 AM

Re: Clive Burr
 
The original "Running Free" played by Clive, is amazing.

Good luck, mate.

paramac 11-07-2008 11:04 PM

Re: Clive Burr
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by iwilliams (Post 448990)
Dear drummers,

The track I like to play from Clive Burr is Gengis Khan (instrumental) from the album Killers and The Prisoner from the album The Number of the Beast.

All the Best!

I love this record!! It is on of my all time favorites and I think of the greatest all time Hard/Rock Metal It is on of the 1st records.. I figured this whole record out by ear. Clive was great on the 1st four records (if you include Maiden Japan) I am into Jazz more now and guys like Tony and Elvin but I will always love Maiden and some other groups I listened to back in the early to mid 80s..I sitll pop that stuff on every now and then...It's awesome.. Btw, I feel no need to compare Niko and Clive or Diano and Bruce. It doesn't make any sense to me to do that, I like them all...I was on a message board I think the Iron Maiden web site one and guys were going back and forth about that crap..It was dumb.. Boy! and they say Jazz guys are bad/egotistical... Egotism doesn't discriminate, it happens all over... This may sound contradictory, but I was listening to the 1st record "Iron Maiden" which I also love and man, what a difference in sound quality. Not to slight their first record, but the production was better on Killers if you ask me..

Ian Williams 11-07-2008 11:30 PM

Re: Clive Burr
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by paramac (Post 498483)
I love this record!! It is on of my all time favorites and I think of the greatest all time Hard/Rock Metal It is on of the 1st records.. I figured this whole record out by ear. Clive was great on the 1st four records (if you include Maiden Japan) I am into Jazz more now and guys like Tony and Elvin but I will always love Maiden and some other groups I listened to back in the early to mid 80s..I sitll pop that stuff on every now and then...It's awesome.. Btw, I feel no need to compare Niko and Clive or Diano and Bruce. It doesn't make any sense to me to do that, I like them all...I was on a message board I think the Iron Maiden web site one and guys were going back and forth about that crap..It was dumb.. Boy! and they say Jazz guys are bad/egotistical... Egotism doesn't discriminate, it happens all over... This may sound contradictory, but I was listening to the 1st record "Iron Maiden" which I also love and man, what a difference in sound quality. Not to slight their first record, but the production was better on Killers if you ask me..

Thanks a lot for your comments, Up The Irons!

Ian


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com