DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Vinnie Colaiuta (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2931)

radeq 07-12-2005 02:21 PM

Vinnie Colaiuta
 
why don't we talk about some serious drummers :) like vinnie :D

www.houseofdrumming.com - check out some hot vinnie stuff :)

DR.WHOO 07-12-2005 02:37 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
I admit i never tought about one of my favourites......

i must have been mad !!!!!

run to see the link


T.

Superlow 07-12-2005 04:11 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
He is just one of those guys that you just can't argue about. I love his playing, but it depresse me to listen to him. He is just that good.

NUTHA JASON 07-12-2005 04:27 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
i don't like him as a person as i have seen him live with sting and also in several interviews but then again as a drummer i love him. look at the drum battle beteween him, wekl and gadd on the videos section of drummerworld. he holds his own very well with those two giants. you got to hand it to him, he steals a show.


j

Stu_Strib 07-12-2005 04:45 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
I got in a bit over my head when I purchased that Unreel book covering his playing.

oops...maybe in 10 years I'll be able to work out of that book.

stu

Dr Drums 07-12-2005 05:36 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
u know what..? I know he's one of the greatest drummers today , but i just can't like him. I guess he's not my style. weird.

radeq 07-12-2005 07:46 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
yeah that's allright I guess not everybody is able to understand his playing..

Alk3fan 07-12-2005 08:24 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
i don't like him as a person .


My drum teacher told me the exact same thing. He met him and said 'he wasnt a very fun person to be around'. But I guess his great drumming makes up for that.

Drumolator 07-18-2005 11:54 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
In my humble opinion, he is the greatest drummer to have ever walked to planet. He can play any style or genre and play it well. Peace.

meshuggah1324 07-19-2005 12:36 AM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
Yeah, I'd have to say Vinnie is the best drummer of all time.

Stu_Strib 07-19-2005 04:47 AM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
To be as good as Gadd, Weckl, or Vinnie, you gotta be just a bit different than most people. I've heard bad things about all three of these guys as people. I would bet its just their eccentricity, and not any real rudeness. Porcaro came across as rude too, but that was the New Yorker in him probably, heh.

Just think, to be as good as them, you can't quite possibly be a normal 8 to 5 schlubb working with other shlubbs all day (like most of us).

So Dr. Drum, you don't like Gadd or Coliauta? Do you not like drums ;-)

eddrummer05 07-19-2005 06:57 AM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
vinnie haha is the best drummer in usa...

radeq 07-19-2005 01:51 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
in the world..............

Superlow 07-19-2005 03:36 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
To be as good as Gadd, Weckl, or Vinnie, you gotta be just a bit different than most people. I've heard bad things about all three of these guys as people. I would bet its just their eccentricity, and not any real rudeness. Porcaro came across as rude too, but that was the New Yorker in him probably, heh.

Just think, to be as good as them, you can't quite possibly be a normal 8 to 5 schlubb working with other shlubbs all day (like most of us).

So Dr. Drum, you don't like Gadd or Coliauta? Do you not like drums ;-)

It was the same way with Buddy Rich, if a lot people told you you were the best drummer in the world it would do something to your ego. I think I would be a prick too if I had to live up to that much pressure.

Raymond Bloom 07-19-2005 04:02 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
I found somewhere an mp3 where Buddy Rich curses his big band for about 5 mins... I fealt really really sorry about them...
Yeah, he was an INSANE drummer, probably the best ever, but as a person...who knows...and actually it's not important, important is what he did as a drummer.

The same goes about Vinnie Colaiuta, let's just listen his drumming instead of arguing about whether he is a nice guy or not! :))

Alesi 07-19-2005 04:17 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
i`m depressed when i listen to him... he`s so creative... .. (in pop tunes too!!!!!)

darkcherryfade 07-19-2005 05:30 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
Another drummer that practically reduces me to tears like Dennis. This guy can play EVERYTHING. And he OWNED that 3 way battle with Gadd and Weckl (who were both still impressive, as expected).

NUTHA JASON 07-19-2005 06:05 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
i'm sorry but he was no way the best in that battle. they were all great and different. to own a battle, as you put it, you have to be clearly above the other drummers league. besides gadd does less in that battle but he is solid ...SOLID. THAT BASS DRUMMING FIGURE HE DOES OVER THE CADET STUFF IS SOOOOOO COOL. and did you hear the audience when he goes onto his cowbell?

vinnie is a great drummer.... that is all.

j

darkcherryfade 07-19-2005 06:16 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
Thank you, but I have my own opinion. I'm not even talking about who did the most of this or that, he just made me feel it the most. Well ok, to say he OWNED it was a bit much, but he shined the most to me. Although Gadd and Weckl were still incredible.

Stu_Strib 07-19-2005 07:15 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkcherryfade
Thank you, but I have my own opinion. I'm not even talking about who did the most of this or that, he just made me feel it the most. Well ok, to say he OWNED it was a bit much, but he shined the most to me. Although Gadd and Weckl were still incredible.

Yeah Vinnie was strong. For that other post to say "he held his own" with Weckl and Gadd, as if they are legends, and he isn't yet was a bit odd.

I think Vinnie, because he's been drumming much longer, is probably one of Weckl's influences. I'd never be so egotistical to think I surpassed my heros, even if it were true. I bet Weckl feels this way.

Milo 07-19-2005 07:30 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkcherryfade
Thank you, but I have my own opinion. I'm not even talking about who did the most of this or that, he just made me feel it the most. Well ok, to say he OWNED it was a bit much, but he shined the most to me. Although Gadd and Weckl were still incredible.

I have to agree with you on that. I think Vinnie stood out a bit more. Gadd was solid but didn't do it for me, the bass roll gets kinda old.

Anyone hear his Megadeth drumming? What a versatile guy.

darkcherryfade 07-19-2005 07:40 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Yeah Vinnie was strong. For that other post to say "he held his own" with Weckl and Gadd, as if they are legends, and he isn't yet was a bit odd.

I think Vinnie, because he's been drumming much longer, is probably one of Weckl's influences. I'd never be so egotistical to think I surpassed my heros, even if it were true. I bet Weckl feels this way.


True. He seems to be the humble type. He sounds like it when he talks at clinics and such.

DR.WHOO 07-19-2005 09:52 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
Ok ok i admit....
love him with Sting (enormous)
love him with labouriel at backed potatoe
love him in joe's garage (zappa)
love him with pianist randy waldman
love him with chaka khan
but i can't stand him with karizma (dunno why but that is)


T

ZeppelinJB 09-05-2005 07:42 PM

Vinnie Colaiuta...the unsung Hero.
 
Vinnie Colaiuta was the drummer that played on the "Nightwalker" album for Gino Vanelli. If you've never heard it, get it, find it, listen to it, the songs Nightwalker & Santa Rosa. This guy Vinnie Colaiuta is amazing in these songs. I really do recommend downloading them. Thanks for Finnhiggins [a member here] and Dogbreath[admin] I found out who this mystery man drummer was. After you listen to the songs, post what you think. I think this guy should've got some ounce of creditability for this album. It was great.

Ty

aahznightsky 09-05-2005 08:07 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta...the unsung Hero.
 
Just wondering here ... why are you calling Coluita the unsung hero, the mystery man drummer? Hehe I think most people know who he is; he's one of the top drummers that have ever been on the planet!

ak_ 09-05-2005 10:20 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta...the unsung Hero.
 
Ummm, i'm going to agree with ahhznightsky here (haha btw ahh...i never realized what your name actually said until right now, and i have no clue why it took me this long to actually read your name, BUT ANYWAY!)...by no means is Vinnie an "unsung" hero.

Also: you're on the forums right now, go check out the actual Drummerworld page. It's very apparent that right now you are enthralled with Vinnie, (which is good), sooo there is PLENTY of stuff you can watch about Vinnie like videos, audio clips, articles, etc... that i'm sure you'll fall in love with. Go have some fun chasing down that mysterious, unknown, ever so elusive fella that Vinnie is. hehe..

finnhiggins 09-05-2005 10:32 PM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta...the unsung Hero.
 
Indeed. If you want to see just how "Unsung" he is, I suggest reading back over the last decade of Modern Drummer reader polls.

Also, his list of CD credits over on AllMusic is literally thousands of albums long, featuring some of the biggest names in popular music.

OK, he's not widely known outside of the world of musicians. But still... He's pretty bloody known inside it!

mlehnertz 09-06-2005 01:17 AM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta...the unsung Hero.
 
When you're referenced by simply your first name, I think it says it all.

ZeppelinJB 09-06-2005 02:04 AM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta...the unsung Hero.
 
Ok jesus, i think i get the point. you guys are awfully pushy about it.

ZeppelinJB 09-06-2005 02:05 AM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta...the unsung Hero.
 
mIhertz IMO led zeppelin is the greatest band ever. don't put me in a category of ignorance because I like led zeppelin. thanks buddy

finnhiggins 09-06-2005 02:16 AM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta...the unsung Hero.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeppelinJB
mIhertz IMO led zeppelin is the greatest band ever. don't put me in a category of ignorance because I like led zeppelin. thanks buddy

Mate, you've totally missed the point here. Vinnie Colaiuta is most commonly referenced as "Vinnie" in drumming circles. If you say "Hey, have you heard Vinnie on that new CD by ArtistXYZ?" then any well-read drummer is going to immediately assume you mean Vinnie Colaiuta, not Vinnie Paul or any other Vinnie.

He's such a legend you can reference him by his first name, like Buddy, Ringo or Elvin. There's very few musicians who ever get to that level. If you've not encountered Vinnie before I can assure you it's not because he's an unsung nobody, it's just because you're a bit new to this whole drumming thing...

ZeppelinJB 09-06-2005 02:48 AM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta...the unsung Hero.
 
No finnhiggins, im not new to the "drumming thing" and i dont know why you quoted me because what you had had nothing to do with the quote, but w/e. You can think Im "new" or not, im not going to listen to you run your mouth and brag of your text book knowledge my friend. "Vinnie" wasnt on the nightwalker CD case, or anything. I looked into it and nothing told me about him. Just because I researched in wrong spots, doesnt mean I am "new" to "this drumming thing" buddy.

NouveauCliche 09-06-2005 02:59 AM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta...the unsung Hero.
 
Settle down man! No one's attacking you! We just all respect Vinnie!

ZeppelinJB 09-06-2005 03:06 AM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta...the unsung Hero.
 
Look buddy, lol I dont need to hear it from you either. respecting Vinnie by freaking out because I don't know him? Whats that do for respect man. If someone didnt know John Bonham Im sure I'd tell him about it, not yell at him for not knowin.

finnhiggins 09-06-2005 03:15 AM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta...the unsung Hero.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeppelinJB
No finnhiggins, im not new to the "drumming thing" and i dont know why you quoted me because what you had had nothing to do with the quote, but w/e.

Yes it did, but after two posts you're evidently still too dense to figure it out and instead want to have a go at me as well. You first had a go at mlehnertz for his comment:

"When you're referenced by simply your first name, I think it says it all.". He was talking about VINNIE, not about you. You then took offence because you somehow (I've no idea how) interpreted this as a slight against Led Zeppelin and thought he was calling you ignorant. I quoted you because I felt the need to tell you that he was talking about Vinnie. Clearly you haven't run into Mr Colaiuta before, which would explain why you didn't know. But the rest of us - and, indeed, most of the world of drumming - quite clearly have.

Quote:

You can think Im "new" or not, im not going to listen to you run your mouth and brag of your text book knowledge my friend. "Vinnie" wasnt on the nightwalker CD case, or anything. I looked into it and nothing told me about him. Just because I researched in wrong spots, doesnt mean I am "new" to "this drumming thing" buddy.
No, not knowing who an uncredited drummer doesn't make you new to drumming, you're right. However, not having a clue who one of the most influential and well-known drum superstars of the last twenty years suggests that you probably haven't exactly picked up a copy of... well... any drum magazine on a regular basis since 1985. So either you're new or you've been away for a very, very long time.

Now, please. I helped you find out who the drummer you were after was. Cool down. People here are just a bit amused that you've started a "OMG, have you heard of this obscure guy I just found on an old Gino Vanelli CD!" thread about arguably the most prolific and well-known session drummer working anywhere in the world today, let alone one of the major pioneers of modern drumming from the late 1970s to now. He has his own signature stick. He was the driving force behind the A Custom series of cymbals, arguably one of the most popular series on cymbals on the planet. He's played with Zappa, Sting, Joni Mitchell, Megadeth, The Backstreet Boys, Barry Mannilowe... John McLaughlin... Allan Holdsworth... and just about everybody else on the planet who has any money or plays fusion.

It's a bit like going to a guitar forum and writing a post going "Hey, I just heard out this totally awesome obscure blues guitarist from the 60s. You guys should check him out - I think his name's Jimi or something...". You can't really do that and expect people not to laugh. Vinnie came first in Modern Drummer's "Best studio drummer" and "Best overall" poll categories for ... ooh... just about most years during the whole of the 90s? That's not exactly unsung. If you're not new to the whole drumming thing, I'd suggest you'd at least have had to have been hiding under a rock to miss him.

CarterB_Junkie 09-06-2005 03:48 AM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta...the unsung Hero.
 
Thanx to Amazon, I finally got the Cd Live at Blue Note Tokyo (Chick Corea's Akoustik Band) where Vinnie took Weckl's chair and Oh My : one of the best drumming ever recorded IMO : virtuosity, musicality, energy, feel, fire, passion, pocket in one set ! Amazing !
The CD is very difficult to find because it was realeased only in Japan .
Check out also the drum battle on drummer world where Vinnie is doing at the end of the video a gesture with his head that says : I am Vinnie Colaiuta and I just owned the place, Weckl and Gadd can go on retirement I don't care!Priceless ! Just look at the end of the segment, his gesture is so cocky and arrogant I like it !!!


Vinnie who ???

ZeppelinJB 09-06-2005 05:38 AM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta...the unsung Hero.
 
My dad is a huge drummer and fan of Gino. He looked it up a little didnt find anything. Dude, you can continue to drag this out by calling me new and then saying cool down, calling me ingnorant and saying cool down, well bud, i am fine now, i didnt know the mofo big deal, i anted to ask ppl around, big deal, but i thought this site and forum was a nice community. i didnt think i had to be scolded for simply not knowing a percussionist. My fault buddy, but plz, dont get all pushy and call me "new to this drumming thing." Dont tell me to cool down unless you're willing enough to grow up, and quit posting about how stupid i must be to not know who some drummer is Vinnie Colaiuta. Hes excellent, i just didnt know his name. Also, not every drum magazine since 1985 writes an article every issue about Vinnie Colaiuta.

DogBreath 09-06-2005 05:59 AM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
Well guys, I think everyone has spoken their mind on this issue. Anyone want to talk about Vinnie?

ZeppelinJB 09-06-2005 07:03 AM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
Dog Breath, Ive seen multiple posts of you saying things like " Well that was off topic, wanna talk about Bla bla." and "Well does anyone wanna talk bout Bla Bla or what."

Im sure we'll get back on topic. And when someone wants to say something about Vinnie, they will....ok?

DogBreath 09-06-2005 07:45 AM

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta
 
Hey ZepJB, I've seen multiple posts of you posting off-topic and needing to be reminded to use the search function. When a forum moderator wants to ask you to stay on topic he will . . . OK?


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com