DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Joey Castillo (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28769)

Mdrummer 07-11-2007 10:40 AM

Joey Castillo
 
Hi,
I couldn't find any thread about this (for me) incredible drummer, so i started one.
I really like his hard hitting, simple playing with QOTSA!
So what do you guys think about him?
Please send as many as you can pictures of him!!
Thnx!!!

Johnny from the block 07-11-2007 11:38 AM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Queens is without doubt my favortite band, and has been for over 3 years, since I first got to know them.
Frankly, I find Joey really fits the band. And he certainly has the looks of a mean mexican kick ass drummer too. The one thing that bothers me, in his - apart from that perfect playing - is that he always seems to speed up songs. (check over the years and through the woods if you don't believe mee) This sometimes seems to make it difficult for josh to put up a decent solo or vocal line. But I noticed he only does this with the songs he didn't wrote himself. For instance: go with the flow, no one knows (indeed especially the songs for the deaf songs). I saw queens live at the Werchter festival about a week ago and they played very tight there. Castillo didn't speed up too much, and not even a bit with the Era Vulgaris songs.
So I guess Castillo is a very good drummer, who has written some great rythms (lullabies to paralyze, or e.g. Run, Pig, Run on the new Era Vulgaris. He is one of my favorite drummers for sure. But after hearing queens with Dave... Who could ever want something else.

Apart from queens I know that Joey also played with Danzig for a while. I don't know for how long (anybody?), but I think he was there on I.Lucifer. [wicked pussycat,...] Great band too, especially the classics like Mother and She Rides the Night, if you haven't heard of them, than certainly check them out.

cheers.

Mdrummer 07-11-2007 03:13 PM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny from the block (Post 334098)
Queens is without doubt my favortite band, and has been for over 3 years, since I first got to know them.
Frankly, I find Joey really fits the band. And he certainly has the looks of a mean mexican kick ass drummer too. The one thing that bothers me, in his - apart from that perfect playing - is that he always seems to speed up songs. (check over the years and through the woods if you don't believe mee) This sometimes seems to make it difficult for josh to put up a decent solo or vocal line. But I noticed he only does this with the songs he didn't wrote himself. For instance: go with the flow, no one knows (indeed especially the songs for the deaf songs). I saw queens live at the Werchter festival about a week ago and they played very tight there. Castillo didn't speed up too much, and not even a bit with the Era Vulgaris songs.
So I guess Castillo is a very good drummer, who has written some great rythms (lullabies to paralyze, or e.g. Run, Pig, Run on the new Era Vulgaris. He is one of my favorite drummers for sure. But after hearing queens with Dave... Who could ever want something else.

Apart from queens I know that Joey also played with Danzig for a while. I don't know for how long (anybody?), but I think he was there on I.Lucifer. [wicked pussycat,...] Great band too, especially the classics like Mother and She Rides the Night, if you haven't heard of them, than certainly check them out.

cheers.

Thank you for informations, I didn't know about his speed ups, I never see QOTSA live, but I like his simple and hard playing.
I'm a huge fan of Danzig, but only fan of early work with Chuck Biscuits on drums.

Johnny from the block 07-11-2007 05:05 PM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
No problem, here, I got you some vids:
Regular No One Knows http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mobUJVX3UCQ
Castillo's version: (btw sweet live-version) BUT: faster! checkit out yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haWVIaslEOs

(especially listen to: I realise your mine... (you see how josh has to concentrate to sing faster here...))

drum.lad 07-11-2007 05:27 PM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
ya i love the guy his drumming is so simple and he is just as good if not better than dave grohl(and i worship dave) also his drums are beautiful on stage

Johnny from the block 07-13-2007 12:46 AM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drum.lad (Post 334191)
ya i love the guy his drumming is so simple and he is just as good if not better than dave grohl(and i worship dave) also his drums are beautiful on stage

ho ho ho... you can say a lot about joey, I fully respect him and like his playing, but no mather how you turn it, he is NOT better than dave man... no one is. His playing just isn't as brilliantly invented as daves. proof = compare Songs for The Deaf to Era Vulgaris. Joey always plays straightforward and on the beat, but some of the drumpieces of era vulgaris are a bit too simple I think. Groovy indeed... but it may have been a little more imo. Allthough I find run, pig, run (one of the best songs on the album) a great drumbeat and I love to play it to. anyway... this is Joeys thread so .. :)

TopCat 07-14-2007 03:56 AM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
He's moved over to Zildjian from Paiste now. Weird.

Mdrummer 07-14-2007 08:48 AM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopCat (Post 335203)
He's moved over to Zildjian from Paiste now. Weird.

Yes, and as I see he uses all K series, including new 24" K Light Ride,
awesome change from Paiste to Zildjian (at least fot me)

ghuyuiq 07-14-2007 11:36 AM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drum.lad (Post 334191)
his drums are beautiful on stage

I'll try to find a picture of a recent performance I saw, where he play acrylic drums...
His set looked so nice!

TopCat 07-14-2007 01:45 PM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
yeah, he recorded with them as well, according to some of their youtube updates before the album release. I wonder what brand they are, I'm pretty sure DW don't do acrylics, do they?

Ozzy Biz 07-15-2007 03:44 AM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopCat (Post 335319)
yeah, he recorded with them as well, according to some of their youtube updates before the album release. I wonder what brand they are, I'm pretty sure DW don't do acrylics, do they?

No, they don't so acrylic kits. They did whip one up using someone else's shells for Tommy Lee for that Rockstar Supernova thing though.

ghuyuiq 07-31-2007 06:32 PM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Joey with his acrylic drums and zildjians:
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6259/img1457mf4.jpg
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1424/img1455vz4.jpg
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/7083/img1458ed0.jpg

(Sorry for the crappy quality but I couldn't save the video, so I had to take pictures of my screen...)

TopCat 07-31-2007 06:46 PM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Just got the new rhythm today. There's an interview with him in there. The acrylics are OCDP shells with DW everything else.

Ozzy Biz 08-01-2007 03:22 AM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopCat (Post 342705)
Just got the new rhythm today. There's an interview with him in there. The acrylics are OCDP shells with DW everything else.

Just as I suspected.

ZildjianMan1023 08-01-2007 04:03 AM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
one of my influences hands down

drum.lad 08-02-2007 05:52 PM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny from the block (Post 334768)
ho ho ho... you can say a lot about joey, I fully respect him and like his playing, but no mather how you turn it, he is NOT better than dave man... no one is. His playing just isn't as brilliantly invented as daves. proof = compare Songs for The Deaf to Era Vulgaris. Joey always plays straightforward and on the beat, but some of the drumpieces of era vulgaris are a bit too simple I think. Groovy indeed... but it may have been a little more imo. Allthough I find run, pig, run (one of the best songs on the album) a great drumbeat and I love to play it to. anyway... this is Joeys thread so .. :)

hey man i know he will never be better than dave i said he is just as good not better dave is still the better of the two and i am a huge fan of dave (going to see foos again this august).and i saw queens recently and those drums are amazing there miced so wel the bass could litreally restart your heart if it failed

DWfan20005 08-09-2007 07:20 PM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
[quote=Mdrummer;334093]Hi,
I couldn't find any thread about this (for me) incredible drummer, so i started one.
I really like his hard hitting, simple playing with QOTSA!
So what do you guys think about him?
Please send as many as you can pictures of him!!
Thnx!!![/QUOTE

He'll never the same as Dave but he's just as good, imo. He can play just as loud as John Bonham and still make it groove. His drums sound, simply put, tough. He ranks up as one of my favorites but I won't mention the others since this topic is Joey Castillo.

driver 08-09-2007 07:43 PM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Yeah I really like Joey. He does play songs fast live but judging Josh's attitude to music and his band im sure if he wanted him to play slower he would make it very clear to him.

I was shocked about his change to Zildjian. They sound nice the crashes aren't as good as his Paiste!

bonzolead 08-09-2007 10:38 PM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopCat (Post 335203)
He's moved over to Zildjian from Paiste now. Weird.

not weird but WISE.

Bonzolead

bonzolead 08-09-2007 10:41 PM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Hey is Joey related to the late Randy Castillo from OZZY?

Bonzolead

drum.lad 08-09-2007 11:34 PM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
i dodnt belive he is related to him.i have seen the queens recently and his drums are amazing the kick he has could kill sosmething and his 24inch k ride is amazing im goin to have to get one of those

TopCat 08-10-2007 02:35 AM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzolead (Post 346215)
not weird but WISE.

Bonzolead

I'm sure it's pretty subjective, hell, completely subjective..

It's weird because he's been with Paiste for such a long while.

DWfan20005 08-12-2007 01:48 PM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by driver (Post 346160)
Yeah I really like Joey. He does play songs fast live but judging Josh's attitude to music and his band im sure if he wanted him to play slower he would make it very clear to him.

I was shocked about his change to Zildjian. They sound nice the crashes aren't as good as his Paiste!

Yeah people always mention that he plays too fast live but that's what makes Joey different. Anyways, Paiste cymbals are amazing even though I'm a Sabian fan. I was shocked too when he moved over to the Zildjian camp.

BrynnerAgassi 09-08-2007 09:28 PM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
I like Joey. I think he is a real good rock drummer. I have only seen him play live once, and of course that was with Queens, but his playing was real intense. He really plays his heart out and bashes the ***** out of the drums. He is real good and solid. And a good drummer to watch live, you can see how much he loves to play just by looking at him.

ULTIMATEDRUMMER 09-09-2007 12:27 AM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
yeah,
I belive joeys plays well for his style and I do like his band as well.

Breadmonkey 09-09-2007 01:58 PM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
I've gotta say, I'm really digging Joey's playing these days. The more I listen, the more i like.
I'm really sick of the "dave is better" bs, people are entitled to opinions but this borderline idolatry is tiresome and seems narrow minded. Dave is different. Great , sure, but if Joey's good enough for Josh and all then he is most definitely good enough for me.

Really good sense of groove about him and one of the main reasons he was hired in the first place, Josh Homme is quoted as saying, was his interaction between bass and snare. Perfect example is the jam they go into here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haWVIaslEOs
Mezmerizing stuff.

Another new addiction of mine is the brilliantly simple yet undeniably cool "sick, sick, sick" from the new album. Have yet to hear the album as a whole but if it continues in the same vein then i think Joey has made a name for himself.

greenshirt77 10-06-2007 05:18 PM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Hello fellow drummers.
New to this forum, but not new at all to drumming.
I was actually doing a search on Queens/Joey, and stumbled upon a link to this thread.
I know this thread is old, but wanted to contribute some info on Joey's drums.
Many are still not aware that RCI (Romano Cotone International) is making most of the new acrylics available recently. Romano began manufacturing acrylic drums for the new Vistalites, and now has contracts to manufacture shells for numerous drum companies.
DW, Premier, GMS, Chop Shop, OCDP- to name just a few.
I saw Supernova earlier this year and loved Tommy's acrylics. I immediately researched, and found out that his DW shells are made by RCI. I then found out that RCI will make custom ordered drums complete. I found a dealer, Acrylic Drums Heaven, that worked with me on my order and I now have a custom RCI Starlite Red acrylic kit.
Here's a link to my testimonial and pics on the ADH website.
http://www.acrylicdrumsheaven.com/testimonials.html
These drums are incredible.

KarlCrafton 10-19-2007 07:35 PM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Yeah, I dig Joey with Queens. I think he's a pretty cool drummer. His kits have looked cool too.
One of my friends met him briefly and said he was a prety cool cat.

The stuff Dave came up with on SFTD was really cool and well thought out, but sounded really spur of the moment for how they record.

On the live DVD with Troy and Alan more involved, and Nick gone, Joey seemed to 'fit' the band well, like Matt Sorum 'fit' better when Guns added the back-up singers and Teddy Andreas (sp?).

I really dig watching that live DVD, and the extra "in the studio" DVD's that came with the last few albums too.

I get what you mean about No one Knows being faster, but that could have been just that night too...
You know how it is, you come off a good set, and come back on and you're loose and feeling good..and it's just a little faster.

Hey, that's rock....

chopsy 10-19-2007 09:34 PM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlCrafton (Post 370500)
I get what you mean about No one Knows being faster, but that could have been just that night too...
You know how it is, you come off a good set, and come back on and you're loose and feeling good..and it's just a little faster.

Hey, that's rock....

I really think it's a serial trait of his though. Saw them Wednesday night and he was faster on every single song, even ones off the new album that he wrote. They tore through Run Pig Run so fast. I'm definitely not saying it's a bad thing, but it's not just a fluke/one song thing.

They played Songs for the Dead, one of my favorites, and the beginning was so rushed it lost a lot of the swing that Grohl gave it.

for comparison:
with Grohl, 2002 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7tCTQkOSi8

Castillo, 2007 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7k4EI6wL_k

KarlCrafton 10-19-2007 10:15 PM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chopsy (Post 370536)
I really think it's a serial trait of his though. Saw them Wednesday night and he was faster on every single song, even ones off the new album that he wrote. They tore through Run Pig Run so fast. I'm definitely not saying it's a bad thing, but it's not just a fluke/one song thing.

They played Songs for the Dead, one of my favorites, and the beginning was so rushed it lost a lot of the swing that Grohl gave it.

If it's been like that for a while, then one would guess the band (Josh) thinks it's OK, or they like it that way...or.....maybe he should play along to his own cds a couple of times....???...:P

Yeah, something is definetly lost if a song that needs to feel a certain way is rushed.
That's a bummer at a show and you can't get in the groove of your favorite tunes.
The one thing I miss, is Joey not doing the fast snare to tom fill in No one Knows on the DVD. That fill is real cool, and fits well in there. I know there's a few others, but THAT one is definetly cool.

I've had to stay really concious of not speeding up some of the songs in one of my bands.
A few of them need to be just right, & once I was aware of what I was doing in spots, and got ahold of what the sections should 'feel' like it's been all good.

I havent seen Queens live yet, even though I dig em' and they've been through Detroit a few times.
I seem to spend all my money on drums.....

DaveyBoy 11-04-2007 12:00 AM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Does any one know what his old Paiste setup was?

Dave

Cypriss 11-07-2007 02:17 AM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
[

(especially listen to: I realise your mine... (you see how josh has to concentrate to sing faster here...))[/quote]

the cords in the chorus are more difficult thats wy he's concentrating

Cypriss 11-07-2007 02:46 AM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyBoy (Post 375149)
Does any one know what his old Paiste setup was?

Dave

http://www.paiste.com/news/pdffiles/2002brochure_e.pdf

his cymbal set up is here all 2002's

jim 12-02-2007 07:48 PM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
saw queens live last night in a relatively small venue and they just killed it, that simple,
Castillo was on the money the whole set, really inspired me if I'm honest, although 'song for the dead' was faster than the album version it was fully rocking and the triplets at the end were pretty mind bending.
Joeys clear DW set looked quite desirable to say the least.

TopCat 12-02-2007 07:57 PM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jim (Post 384174)
saw queens live last night in a relatively small venue and they just killed it, that simple,
Castillo was on the money the whole set, really inspired me if I'm honest, although 'song for the dead' was faster than the album version it was fully rocking and the triplets at the end were pretty mind bending.
Joeys clear DW set looked quite desirable to say the least.

I was there too, and I completely agree.

DionT 10-20-2008 12:25 AM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Joey's a great rock drummer, and a really nice guy to boot. Dave's playing on SFTD is great but I didn't like how Queens was thought of as "DG's new band" which couldn't have been farther from the truth. Even though Joey does play WAY too fast live I think his style fits Queens perfectly.

jacqui_crack 10-24-2008 05:12 AM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
i love his playing. The Blood is Love off of Lullabies is my favourite - how they start in 3/4 then switch to 4/4 and his drumming in it is so good. Dave is REALLY cool but i reckon Joey fits in with the band better. Turning on the Screw is fantastic, you know... i like the fact that he keeps the beat with the tamborine and it really changes up the sound. He does play rather fast, but whatever, as said - if josh had a problem with it joey would be gone. Plus when you're a little intoxicated and playing it makes everything different (does for me..)

chewaz 03-18-2009 05:51 AM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzolead (Post 346215)
not weird but WISE.

Bonzolead

wise if you talk about money, but retarded if you talk about high quality cymbals, it obvious zildjian paid him tons of money.

Jesus lizard 08-04-2009 05:36 PM

Joey Castillo Rules!!
 
Joey castillo rules, Bin a fan since he was in Wasted youth. Him, Bonham, moon are the best drummers around. His DW Set up is sweet!! Planning on seeing QOTSA with E.O.D.M supporting their tour this year. Gunna b awesume!!

drum.lad 08-26-2009 10:40 AM

Re: Joey Castillo
 
I have seen him three times once with Queens and twice with EODM.The last eodm gig i saw was last night and me and my friend got there early and met the whole band and i was talking to joey for a while hes so cool and nows alot about drums.I got a stick at the end.Was quite the epic day

Got a pic with him and some friends at the end of the gig.Im the guy with jesus on my shirt.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ph...6047942&ref=nf


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com