DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   'ello, keyboard problem... (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28510)

drumminjohn 07-04-2007 05:53 AM

'ello, keyboard problem...
 
Hello all, my band has experienced a slight keyboard problem. (musical keyboard, not computer one) We need to amplify ours, but the only way to do that is the red and white RCA (I think thats what they're called) plugs with the other end in the keyboard headphone jack... Then on the amplifier there is the red and white plug holes and it says "CD Input" in it.

Anyways, the RCA plugs amplify the keyboard slightly, but the amplifier controls don't do anything to the keyboard, for example, the only way to turn up the volume is on the keyboard, the amp doesn't sound louder at 10 then at 2...

So my question is, is there a way to convert the keyboard to 1/4" phone plugs? I know there is high to low impedance converters but how about RCA to 1/4 phone?

Thanks guys, I can take pictures to help explain if needed.

GRUNTERSDAD 07-04-2007 06:14 AM

Re: 'ello, keyboard problem...
 
Radio Shack usually has all kinds of wire to wire adapters. I usually find what I need.

drumminjohn 07-04-2007 09:11 AM

Re: 'ello, keyboard problem...
 
Thanks Gruntersdad, I looked online and they do have what I need.. I'm gonna head out to the mall tomorrow and go to Radio Shack and get me some stuff... Thanks again.

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ 07-04-2007 02:18 PM

Re: 'ello, keyboard problem...
 
The reason you can't control the keyboard at the amp is because you're using the "CD in", which is just meant for you to hook up a stereo to jam along to. I think that input bypasses the gain stage in the amp. You need to plug the keyboard into the main input on the amp. Forget the RCA cables. If the only output on the keyboard is the small headphone jack, you can run a cable that has the small (1/8" roughly) plug on one end, and the larger (1/4" roughly) at the other end.

drumminjohn 07-04-2007 05:34 PM

Re: 'ello, keyboard problem...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ (Post 330949)
The reason you can't control the keyboard at the amp is because you're using the "CD in", which is just meant for you to hook up a stereo to jam along to. I think that input bypasses the gain stage in the amp. You need to plug the keyboard into the main input on the amp. Forget the RCA cables. If the only output on the keyboard is the small headphone jack, you can run a cable that has the small (1/8" roughly) plug on one end, and the larger (1/4" roughly) at the other end.

Do they make those though? I searched all over musicians friend. Maybe I was typing the wrong thing...

TitanSound 07-04-2007 05:54 PM

Re: 'ello, keyboard problem...
 
I have seen them before. If you cant get hold of that cable you can always buy an adapter.

drumminjohn 07-04-2007 06:00 PM

Re: 'ello, keyboard problem...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanSound (Post 331033)
I have seen them before. If you cant get hold of that cable you can always buy an adapter.

Yeah the adapter was what I was going to buy at Radio Shack today.

hawk9290 07-04-2007 07:04 PM

Re: 'ello, keyboard problem...
 
I would recommend going with a 1/4" cable into a 1/4" -> 1/8" adapter, though. I have had no problems with 1/8" cables with 1/4" adapter going into recording interfaces, but when I try to plug said cable into an amplifier or PA system, I usually get distortion and the lows lose gain while the highs pick up a lot of gain. Perhaps it is just the brand of cable/adapter that I use, but it always happens. Never had it happen when using a 1/4" cable though.

drumminjohn 07-04-2007 07:14 PM

Re: 'ello, keyboard problem...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawk9290 (Post 331080)
I would recommend going with a 1/4" cable into a 1/4" -> 1/8" adapter, though. I have had no problems with 1/8" cables with 1/4" adapter going into recording interfaces, but when I try to plug said cable into an amplifier or PA system, I usually get distortion and the lows lose gain while the highs pick up a lot of gain. Perhaps it is just the brand of cable/adapter that I use, but it always happens. Never had it happen when using a 1/4" cable though.

So like a 1/4" cable going through this (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ter?sku=333093) into the amp? I think thats what I'm gonna do.

hawk9290 07-04-2007 07:50 PM

Re: 'ello, keyboard problem...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drumminjohn (Post 331085)
So like a 1/4" cable going through this (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ter?sku=333093) into the amp? I think thats what I'm gonna do.

did you mean a 1/8" cable going through that??? if so, then yes.
Heres what you need, either of these should work, and both will cost about the same and can be bought at RadioShack:
option 1
(1) 1/8" cable however long you want
(1) 1/8" female to 1/4" male adapter

option 2
(1) 1/4" cable of whatever length
(1) 1/4" female to 1/8" male adapter

drumminjohn 07-04-2007 08:24 PM

Re: 'ello, keyboard problem...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawk9290 (Post 331111)
did you mean a 1/8" cable going through that??? if so, then yes.
Heres what you need, either of these should work, and both will cost about the same and can be bought at RadioShack:
option 1
(1) 1/8" cable however long you want
(1) 1/8" female to 1/4" male adapter

option 2
(1) 1/4" cable of whatever length
(1) 1/4" female to 1/8" male adapter

Yeah I meant 1/8".. my bad.
I'm about to drive out there in like 5 minutes and get it.. Thanks Hawk!

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ 07-05-2007 02:45 AM

Re: 'ello, keyboard problem...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drumminjohn (Post 331020)
Do they make those though? I searched all over musicians friend. Maybe I was typing the wrong thing...

I'm not sure if they sell them at Musician's Friend, but I own at least one myself. If the output on the keyboard is stereo, you may need a cable that converts the stereo to a mono signal (1/8" stereo male at one end to 1/4" mono at the other). Or maybe the keyboard will treat the output as mono if only a mono plug is inserted into it.

An adapter will work, but I always prefer a proper cable to using adapters for a long term solution. In my experience, adapters are more prone to creating hum and shorts.

Radio Shack might even have this type of cable. That would probably be my first local stop. I know you can find it online. In fact, there are companies willing to make any kind of custom cable in case you dream up something that hasn't been done before, or isn't standard enough to keep in stock.

drumminjohn 07-05-2007 02:56 AM

Re: 'ello, keyboard problem...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ (Post 331287)
I'm not sure if they sell them at Musician's Friend, but I own at least one myself. If the output on the keyboard is stereo, you may need a cable that converts the stereo to a mono signal (1/8" stereo male at one end to 1/4" mono at the other). Or maybe the keyboard will treat the output as mono if only a mono plug is inserted into it.

An adapter will work, but I always prefer a proper cable to using adapters for a long term solution. In my experience, adapters are more prone to creating hum and shorts.

Radio Shack might even have this type of cable. That would probably be my first local stop. I know you can find it online. In fact, there are companies willing to make any kind of custom cable in case you dream up something that hasn't been done before, or isn't standard enough to keep in stock.

Thanks man, I went to the mall today, but being Independence Day it was PACKED. So I got Chic Fila and left... I hate big crowds like that... Big crowds of sweaty nasty tourists...
But I plan to go to RS tomorrow and see if they have anything to help me.

I know what you're sayin about adapters too, they seem like they would be much more prone to humming and such. Thanks everyone.

georgeman 07-12-2007 04:43 PM

Re: 'ello, keyboard problem...
 
u prolly already went but i have a cable that does that without an adapter it converts it's self

-george


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com