DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   My band has decided to go "bassless" (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28184)

Paul_Klein 06-26-2007 04:50 AM

My band has decided to go "bassless"

My band (drummer, lead guitar, rhythm guitar/singer) has been very active writing songs and recording for the last year. But we've had a hell of a time finding a bass player dedicated to the band. Our last prospect flaked out, leaving us high and dry.

So we said screwit, and have decided to go on without one. Not "go on without one until we find one", but more like, "this is who we're gonna be, and if a bass player approached US and begs to join us, then we'll consider it again."

We are an original melodic power-pop band, with a sound like a cross between "Tegan And Sara" and the "Smashing Pumpkins". The three of us are tight as hell, and we all agree that our music does not really even *need* bass anyway - we sound great without it.

My question is: are we screwing ourselves? We don't want to look like were a band looking for a bass player. We want to look like a band who chose NOT to have a bass player. Do you really think were limiting our chances of success? There are several examples of bands who have gone bassless and achieved success. Why can't we?

We are still planning on recording all our songs with a bass line - we'll just be sans-bass in live situations.

The rhythm guitarist just bought a brand new amp - a Vox - that has some good low end. Plus I would say that me (the drummer) and the rhythm guitarist ARE pretty damn tight together. Without a bass player, I've written my drum parts (specifically the kick drum) to what the guitars are doing, not what a bass would be doing. So I guess in that regard we somewhat have that covered.

We have not written the songs with a specific bass line in mind, but instead have just figured a bass line would materialize itself.

EDIT: The main idea is that we don't necessarily DON'T want a bassist, but were sick of waiting for one, and are ready to move on professionally - bass player or no bass player.

EDIT2: Incidentally, if anyone lives in the Chicago area that plays bass and wants to join an awesome band....

hawk9290 06-26-2007 04:57 AM

Re: My band has decided to go "bassless"

well I would support you, but I support just about any band that tries something different. I think as long as your rhythm guitar plays low and you keep your kick strong and tight, you will be ok for live situations. Have you considered having a bass trigger pad or something? that would work as well.
I have found though that just myself and an acoustic guitar covering Skynard, AC/DC, Rolling Stones, etc sounded good- not like the originals of course, but still it sounded good.
Heck, if a jazz trio can play Tom Sawyer w/ a bass, piano, and 4 piece drum kit (The Bad Plus for those interested), then you'll get by without a bassist.
Its more important to keep your band together than to have a bassist who doesn't work with the band imo

(and a little hint, watch your language...the edit button might be a good idea right about now)

Fur drummer 06-26-2007 05:00 AM

If they decide to go drumless then you may have a problem. I think you would sound better with a bass but I'm not in your band so if you like the sound then that is all that really matters. Hey if the White Strips can make it without a bass player then you should too. Good luck.

Paul_Klein 06-26-2007 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawk9290 (Post 327088)
well I would support you, but I support just about any band
(and a little hint, watch your language...the edit button might be a good idea right about now)

Ooops, hehe. I was writing a bit "stream-of-consciousness" style and it slipped out :)

stevo 06-26-2007 05:23 AM

The band I'm in is "bass player" less also. We have a singer/trumpet player/percussionist, main lead guitarist who also plays keyboards, guitarist/harp/keyboards/mandolin, who usually plays the acoutsic for the bass parts. Both guitar players can play bass, and on some songs do, but for the most part... we are bass less.

hauk 06-26-2007 06:02 AM

Sounds reasonable to me. Personally, I'd even leave out the bass lines in your recordings since you don't have them pre written in the songs. Some songs wouldn't be half as good without bass, but I'm sure you could write plenty great ones without.

drumminjohn 06-26-2007 06:58 AM

My band decided yesterday officially (we'd been discussing it alot before yesterday) the same thing. Except this is just me and a guitarist. We are going for the whole White Stripes duo vibe. Good luck man.

brittc89 06-26-2007 07:59 AM

I personally think its tough to play without a bassist. I am dying to get in a band that doesnt have a bass player, but a badass B3 player, foot pedals and all. Sam Yahel, if you are for some reason ever on here and reading this post, Im dying to play with you!

somedrummer 06-26-2007 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brittc89 (Post 327150)
I personally think its tough to play without a bassist. I am dying to get in a band that doesnt have a bass player, but a badass B3 player, foot pedals and all. Sam Yahel, if you are for some reason ever on here and reading this post, Im dying to play with you!

That's what I was going to say, have you considered looking at an organ player or piano player? I suppose it depends on what kind of music you're making, but both of those instruments might add a cool vibe. Seeing that you're a "melodic power-pop" band, piano (or "keyboards") might actually be the perfect thing for you.

Paul_Klein 06-26-2007 09:12 AM

But then we'd have the same problems we've had with bass players as it is.

We really feel like we should be a trio - we're all very close, and we all care about our band more than anything... we can't say that about anyone else. If we were to add a keyboard player, then we might as well just add a bass player.

But after thinking about it, perhaps we shouldn't even record our songs with a bass. That way it at least sounds like it's a sound we're trying to achieve.

TopCat 06-26-2007 01:21 PM

Keyboard player and a phat rig.

Job done.

Ozzy Biz 06-26-2007 01:24 PM

Two guitars and drums worked for the first Eagles of Death Metal album.

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ 06-26-2007 01:49 PM

Blues Explosion has no bass, just drums and two guitars. Sometimes one of them uses an octave pedal though to play low riffs. Ask your rhythm guitarist to consider dropping the tuning of his guitar down to a full D or C tuning.

Jeff Almeyda 06-26-2007 01:56 PM

It's weird but if it's great then who cares? That's the bottom line.

Oh, and the White Stripes do record bass lines in the studio. Listen to "The hardest button" or whatever that song is called.

hauk 06-30-2007 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_Klein (Post 327165)
But after thinking about it, perhaps we shouldn't even record our songs with a bass. That way it at least sounds like it's a sound we're trying to achieve.

That seems best.
Good luck in your band endeavor.

drumminjohn 06-30-2007 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda (Post 327218)
It's weird but if it's great then who cares? That's the bottom line.

Oh, and the White Stripes do record bass lines in the studio. Listen to "The hardest button" or whatever that song is called.

No there's no bass, thats Jack White with a really low guitar tone or whatever the term would be..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pkQ9aNcR5gA

Jeff Almeyda 06-30-2007 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drumminjohn (Post 329116)
No there's no bass, thats Jack White with a really low guitar tone or whatever the term would be..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pkQ9aNcR5gA

Wow, you're totally right. Jack is one cool mutha.

Anyway, while I was on You Tube I found a cover of Audioslave doing "Seven Nation Army".

It sucked.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rSwMrNFp_...elated&search=

cjl71178 06-30-2007 03:29 PM

Me, personally, I don't think I'd be able to play without a bass player. Maybe it's because I've played 18 years with one. It just doesn't feel the same whether it's live or in the studio or just rehearsing. But that's me.

Paul, if your band sounds good without one...then I say go for it. I think you guys will be alright especially since you have a rhythm and a lead guitar player. I know finding good musicians sometimes is hard, especially ones who want to stick around.

Best of luck to you and your band. Keep us informed how things are coming along.

Beginer 06-30-2007 09:07 PM

when a bassist leaves the room, its always the best time for me snd the guitar player to get some fun, becouse we understand each other better when theres two of us, not three..

volume_3 07-01-2007 05:38 PM

Ye my band went bassless for a few months, simply because our 1st bassist just annoyed us all so much.

And for us it was hard to find a bassist, because, like you guys, we are really tight, we've know eachother 6 years, and been really close mates the whole time.

But we found another friend who has started learning Bass, and he's learning realllly fast!

But you can easily record bass without a bassist, and most of the time during Gigs its hard to hear the bass anyway.

Jaden 07-06-2007 08:58 PM

my main band im in now is currently bass-less. We're a two piece guitar/drums. From the shows we've played, we definitely stand out in a positive way. There are people of course we've spoken to that simply can't understand having a band without a bass and think that the idea in itself is just not "logical" but there are many ways to pull it off, and if you do (like people say we tend to do) you will DEFINITELY draw attention and interest. Its a different sound than what people are used to hearing )when done right...when done poorly it just sounds like a band who needs a bass). Definitely sounds more raw without.

Shameless plug (to see how a band sounds without a bass)-we have about 12 songs done, this is our first one we recorded.

http://www.myspace.com/hobsonschoiceband

if you have any questions or wanna talk about the whole no bass thing, message me, i have a bunch of experience playing ......and have studied with certain major drummers........ who play without one (not because the lack of finding one but because of the specific sound)

jangus 07-09-2007 01:04 AM

I've found it hard to listen to music without a bass or bottom part. A bass adds balance and is the "pants" of the band. Without a bassist you're a band in its underwear.

Then again there are ways around this, just make sure you have a strong bottom.

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ 07-09-2007 04:34 AM

Our bassist just left town for Cali for a couple months, so it's just the guitarist and I. We've rocked out as a two piece before. I think the trick is just learning how to become tight with the guitarist. Our bassist has been playing a lot of guitar lately, and he mainly tunes down a whole step to D (not dropped D). That has influenced our main guitarist, so that is what he is using now. So basically the guitar has a little more low tone. He's talking about recording the bass parts on his looper and us playing along to that, but I don't really like the idea.

Joel Woody 07-09-2007 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fur drummer (Post 327090)
If they decide to go drumless then you may have a problem. I think you would sound better with a bass but I'm not in your band so if you like the sound then that is all that really matters. Hey if the White Strips can make it without a bass player then you should too. Good luck.

Exactly what i think...........Jack just uses the thick strings........its kinda the same thing.......but do what you want.......Its your unique band style......keep it......it seems neat.

JIM_fear 07-09-2007 07:33 AM

I think Hella sounded great when they didn't have a bassist.