DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Broken Microphone Cable (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28150)

Thrash Drummer 06-25-2007 04:42 AM

Broken Microphone Cable

I had finished recording yesterday, then I heard this shhhttt sound like a cable had been disconnected, and today I find that a cable running to an overhead condenser that uses phantom power doesnt work properly. In the condenser, it did not bring in any wave formation at all. I plugged it into an sm57 and it only picked up the sound a little bit. Why would a cable suddenly die? Does it have anything to do w/ phantom power?
Laid to Rest cover must wait....I need my ride, 2nd crash and china!!

groovemaster_flex 06-25-2007 05:00 AM

Re: Broken Microphone Cable

People stepping on it? Equipment lying on top of it?
If it isn't working, you could try stripping off the rubber coating to see what's wrong.
My guess is the wiring inside was broken somehow.

bighaibigdrums 06-25-2007 05:56 AM

People coiling a cable improperly is a major cause of dead cables. You should fold a cable not coil it.

hauk 06-25-2007 06:38 AM

Really? Explain, please, I'm interested.
(un)luckily I don't have any recording equipment to screw up

bighaibigdrums 06-25-2007 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauk (Post 326631)
Really? Explain, please, I'm interested.
(un)luckily I don't have any recording equipment to screw up

When you coil or wrap a cable around your arm you twist the wires inside it. If you take the cable and fold it (not tightly just losely) you wont twist up the wires.

JIM_fear 06-25-2007 10:30 AM

What brand is it? If it's a cheapie no-name brand that's most likely the root of your problem.

hawk9290 06-25-2007 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighaibigdrums (Post 326654)
When you coil or wrap a cable around your arm you twist the wires inside it. If you take the cable and fold it (not tightly just losely) you wont twist up the wires.

You can coil the cables, if you do it properly- not haphazerdly like most people do by just spinning it around their arms. If you do it neatly and give your wrist a turn at the top, it keeps the wires straight and neat (it accomplishes the same thing as folding them, I just find it easier). This is how the major studio's and audio production companies around me do it, and its never done harm for any of us.

bighaibigdrums 06-25-2007 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawk9290 (Post 326727)
You can coil the cables, if you do it properly- not haphazerdly like most people do by just spinning it around their arms. If you do it neatly and give your wrist a turn at the top, it keeps the wires straight and neat (it accomplishes the same thing as folding them, I just find it easier). This is how the major studio's and audio production companies around me do it, and its never done harm for any of us.

As long as you let the cable turn in its own natural direction you wont twist up the wires. Its easier to show someone than explain it.

hawk9290 06-26-2007 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighaibigdrums (Post 326849)
As long as you let the cable turn in its own natural direction you wont twist up the wires. Its easier to show someone than explain it.

agreed to that last statement!
yes, most people though just coil it and force it around, and not only does the coil end up looking like crap, but it will wear faster too. so a lesson to all you- when coiling cables if you feel resistance to the coil- you're not doing it right! seems to be obvious but so many people never notice it.