DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Your Gear (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   My Tama Starclassic Performer (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27275)

Johnny from the block 05-27-2007 01:43 PM

My Tama Starclassic Performer
 
This is my new Tama Starclassic Performer EFX with Liquid Metal finish. I kicked my old blackhawk out, but the hardware still is the same. (Now I just have to get rid of the blackhawk snare and the B8 crash and I'm good.) And perhaps a 16x16 Ft...

What do you guys think? I know I LOVE this kit!

specs:
TomTom: 13x10"
FloorTom: 18x16"
BassDrum: 24x18" (yeah)
SnareDrum (Blackhawk): 14x5.5"

cymbals:
Paiste 2002 14" Medium HI-hats
Sabian B8 16" Medium crash
Zildjian Avedis 24" Medium Ride

hardware: all Gibraltar
Hardware on drums: Die-cast hoops + Star-cast mounting system

heads:
TomTom: Pinstripes on top, Clear ambassadors on reso
Floortom: Pinstripes on top, Tama stock head (= Evans) on reso
Bassdrum: Tama stock heads (Evans EQ1 batter and reso head)
Snare: Remo Coated Ambassador batter, Blackhawk stock reso

there, am I missing something?

here are the pics:

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7...t096np6.th.jpg http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7...t097hf1.th.jpg http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/6...t098ma8.th.jpg

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/4...t099cs5.th.jpg http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/4...t100az0.th.jpg http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/6...t104du5.th.jpg

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/1...t105jl5.th.jpg http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/5...t150yr0.th.jpg http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/4...t152em8.th.jpg

Drummer Karl 05-27-2007 04:35 PM

Re: My Tama Starclassic Performer
 
Looks so awesome. Finally you got some pics...how does such a deep rack tom sound??

Great!

Karl

de Nick 05-27-2007 04:41 PM

Re: My Tama Starclassic Performer
 
As karl said: It looks really awesome. I like especially the finish. But why do you use a 18" floor tom instead of a 16"?

gretsch223 05-27-2007 04:49 PM

Re: My Tama Starclassic Performer
 
Wow! Big drums! They must sound amazing....where did you find that 24" ride?- cymbal cellar?

Johnny from the block 05-28-2007 11:18 AM

Re: My Tama Starclassic Performer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummer Karl (Post 316247)
Looks so awesome. Finally you got some pics...how does such a deep rack tom sound??

Great!

Karl

Indeed! And the deep rack tom sounds amazing, I'm going to change heads though, because I think they can sound even better with some coated evans on them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by de Nick (Post 316248)
As karl said: It looks really awesome. I like especially the finish. But why do you use a 18" floor tom instead of a 16"?

Well... I bought it second handed, so I hadn't really much of a choice, but I'm glad I wnet for it, because I love the sound. The guy I bought it from also had a 16x16, but he wouldn't sell that one. I'm thinking maybe in the future, I'll get the 16 too. We'll see;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gretsch223 (Post 316250)
Wow! Big drums! They must sound amazing....where did you find that 24" ride?- cymbal cellar?

I love them, we're going to record an EP this summer, so you then you yourselves can hear it. And the 24 inch zildjian... I found that on marktplaats. It's a Dutch site. I trusted that one better then all the international websites, with the long distance and all. Worked out quite fine. Still love it, now just the crash and we're cool.

@ all: thx for the comments

Drummer Karl 05-28-2007 11:45 AM

Re: My Tama Starclassic Performer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny from the block (Post 316466)
Indeed! And the deep rack tom sounds amazing, I'm going to change heads though, because I think they can sound even better with some coated evans on them.

Cool! Which particular Evans would you like to use??
I think Coated G2 would work well...what do you think/like?

Karl

superbatmat 05-28-2007 12:50 PM

Re: My Tama Starclassic Performer
 
Nice kit man ! I love the finish !

Johnny from the block 05-28-2007 03:17 PM

Re: My Tama Starclassic Performer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummer Karl (Post 316471)
Cool! Which particular Evans would you like to use??
I think Coated G2 would work well...what do you think/like?

Karl

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I already tried Coated Aquarians with satin finish (on my previous set) and they worked out pretty well, but I think the Evans will do even better.

Do you have any suggestions for the reso? or do you think the current will do fine?

Drummer Karl 05-28-2007 11:48 PM

Re: My Tama Starclassic Performer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny from the block (Post 316524)
I was thinking exactly the same thing. I already tried Coated Aquarians with satin finish (on my previous set) and they worked out pretty well, but I think the Evans will do even better.

Do you have any suggestions for the reso? or do you think the current will do fine?

Yes, I think that Evans Coated G2 will work very well for you.
Although I am more into Remo. I still have some Coated G1 on my gig kit but I like the equivalent Coated remo Ambassador much more. I had both on my Tama Superstar Custom and yeah, Remo is my favourite.

Maybe give Remo Coated Emperor a try?

As for the reso: Pintripes are said to be the secret tip if you wanna have a very warm short sound. But I`m not sure with that. Maybe ask YAMAHA DRUMMER here, he should be able to tell you. :-)
I would go for some clear Ambassadors or Diplomats on the reso side. Also Tama`s stock reso heads work well.

Karl

Johnny from the block 05-29-2007 04:59 PM

Re: My Tama Starclassic Performer
 
Thnx, I'll ask yamaha drummer...

I already have a coated dotted emperor for my snare as a back-up head (not sure the current ambassador will last for much longer) but haven't thought to give them a try on the toms actually...

I always figured ambassadors and emperors were more of the snare-heads, but when I think about it, that sounds quite silly doesn't it.. :)

anyway, thx again

hateplow 05-29-2007 08:28 PM

Re: My Tama Starclassic Performer
 
I really like how huge those drums are. The bass drum must shake your house. I had a fusion sized Performer a while back, they are really high quality drums for the price. Congrats!

Drummer Karl 05-29-2007 08:53 PM

Re: My Tama Starclassic Performer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny from the block (Post 316762)

I always figured ambassadors and emperors were more of the snare-heads, but when I think about it, that sounds quite silly doesn't it.. :)

anyway, thx again

ha! No, actually that is not "silly". Just a personal preference...maybe give it a try with your Emperor you already have. I`m pretty sure that you`ll feel and hear a difference.

Whatever you choose, take what you like best. :-)

Karl

pix 05-30-2007 07:59 AM

Re: My Tama Starclassic Performer
 
Looks amazing, great sizes. You sure thats a 13"x10"? It looks massive!

Johnny from the block 06-03-2007 11:22 PM

Re: My Tama Starclassic Performer
 
Wow, forgot to look at my thread for a few days, I'll catch up!:

Quote:

Originally Posted by hateplow (Post 316823)
I really like how huge those drums are. The bass drum must shake your house. I had a fusion sized Performer a while back, they are really high quality drums for the price. Congrats!

Indeed, I like 'em very much, especially the bass as I already said.. I find them expensive enough though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummer Karl (Post 316833)
ha! No, actually that is not "silly". Just a personal preference...maybe give it a try with your Emperor you already have. I`m pretty sure that you`ll feel and hear a difference.

Whatever you choose, take what you like best. :-)

Karl

Thx, really helping me out Karl :) Actually I was saving the emperor for when I get a new snare, but then again that can take another while, you think I should put it on now?

if not - or anyway- do you have any snaresuggestions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pix (Post 317017)
Looks amazing, great sizes. You sure thats a 13"x10"? It looks massive!

Yeah man, pretty sure:) less wide then my 14" snare, and not much bigger then my old 12x9 tomtom, so guess so... looks nice doesn't it? and sounds as well i assure you

Johnny from the block 04-20-2008 12:19 AM

Re: My Tama Starclassic Performer
 
Here are the updates:

Zildjian Avedis A Custom Crash 18" - no further explanation needed, amazing, solid rock crash.

Pearl 14x8" Brass Shell snare with a new "Brushed gold" finish. If anyone knows the exact type of this snare, please don't hesitate to let me know! I bought it second handed and I all know is that it sounds great!

Johnny from the block 06-28-2008 01:34 PM

Re: My Tama Starclassic Performer
 
my new Brass Pearl Snare (14x8)

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/334...0826vg1.th.jpg http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/1...0827pm1.th.jpg

Johnny from the block 06-28-2008 01:47 PM

Re: My Tama Starclassic Performer
 
and my new Zildjian A Custom: finally some pics (18")

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2...0808fr8.th.jpg http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9...0809fe2.th.jpg


It's a fairly commonly used cymbal, but I really like it. What are your thoughts?

Drummer Karl 06-28-2008 04:19 PM

Re: My Tama Starclassic Performer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny from the block (Post 453456)

Wow, very nice!
Did you put on your Emperor?...this looks like a Emperor X or Controlled Sound.

However, very nice free floater! How do you like its sound?

PS: Nice choice with that 18" A Custom as well. Played one once, loved its sweet crash sound!!

Karl

stasz 06-28-2008 04:35 PM

Re: My Tama Starclassic Performer
 
Nice new additions! How are you tuning the snare? Good sound? Those lugs look totally sick.

bojangleman 06-28-2008 06:53 PM

Re: My Tama Starclassic Performer
 
wow...that looks great!...i love the sizes you have on it...that is what i would have if i could get it..

Alex

Johnny from the block 06-29-2008 01:19 AM

Re: My Tama Starclassic Performer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummer Karl (Post 453480)
Wow, very nice!
Did you put on your Emperor?...this looks like a Emperor X or Controlled Sound.

However, very nice free floater! How do you like its sound?

PS: Nice choice with that 18" A Custom as well. Played one once, loved its sweet crash sound!!

Karl

you remember :o! indeed I put on my coated emperor X. I didn't even know it was a free floater... just loved the way it looked, went to check it out, and knew I had to have this one!
it's over a ten years old, but still in very decent state. had to change the snares and a couple of screws though, but hey, who cares, love it

Quote:

Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself (Post 453482)
Nice new additions! How are you tuning the snare? Good sound? Those lugs look totally sick.

I have it tuned pretty thight on the bottom head and a little bit more loose on the top. gives me a very loud, open sound, really great to play live. it has a little too much overtones, but that's really the only negative thing about it in my opinion, and hey, no snare is perfect. besides, it doesn't bother me live anyway, and for recordings i muffled it a bit. the lugs are killers indeed :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bojangleman (Post 453514)
wow...that looks great!...i love the sizes you have on it...that is what i would have if i could get it..

Alex

thanks! if it makes you feel better, I had to do vacation work for 2 years to be able to pay it, but it's a great thing to work for isn't it? my next update will probably be a cowbell and/or a second crash. with a new vacation comming up and all... hehe

thx for the replies guys


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com