DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Jaco Pastrious (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26916)

drumaddict21 05-15-2007 04:13 PM

Jaco Pastrious

I know he wasnt a drummer but he sure was an amazing bass player. I just wanted to know what everyone else thought jaco and his time with weather report and his own bands.

Muckster 05-15-2007 04:22 PM

Re: Jaco Pastrious

Actually Jaco was a very fine drummer as well. He contributed and performed several drum pieces with Weather Report.

fourstringdrums 05-15-2007 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muckster (Post 311964)
Actually Jaco was a very fine drummer as well. He contributed and performed several drum pieces with Weather Report.

True. He started out playing drums but broke his wrist playing football so he went to the bass.

bballdrummer34 05-15-2007 08:31 PM

Have you heard the tune "Teen Town" ? I heard he is the one drumming on that.

drumaddict21 05-15-2007 11:09 PM

i know he played some drums but imo he made much more of an impact on bass though i dont think it would matter what instrument he played he was an all around great guy

KLittle123 05-15-2007 11:48 PM

Oh man, jaco pastorius, my favorite.

cnw60 05-15-2007 11:57 PM

It's too bad he never overcame his personal demons because he was a supremely gifted musician.

and his self-titled solo album is still one of my favorite albums ever. Donna Lee, Portrait of Tracy, Okonkole y Trompa, Opus Pocus, ... the whole album is great.

drumminjohn 05-16-2007 12:00 AM

Chromatic Fantasy gives me chills when I listen to it, truly a genius

gretsch223 05-16-2007 12:50 AM

can you say- THE CHICKEN??? Great song!

KCDrummer 05-16-2007 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballdrummer34 (Post 312049)
Have you heard the tune "Teen Town" ? I heard he is the one drumming on that.

Correct! He actually recorded the drums on two separate tracks--one for the high-hat pattern and another for everything else.

There's a great biography of Jaco by Bill Milkowski called "Jaco: The Extraordinary and Tragic Life of the World's Greatest Bass Player." Milkowski was a friend of Jaco's so there's a lot of really good first-hand info in there and it's a who's who of jazz musicians in the 70's and 80's.

Jaco's albums as a leader are, of course, absolutely wicked, but I'm also a big fan of the stuff he did as a sideman, like with Pat Metheny on "Bright Size Life" and Joni Mitchell on "Mingus" and "Shadows and Light".

Jaco is not only one of my favorite bassists, but one of my favorite jazz musicians period.

Butch Axsmith 05-16-2007 08:31 AM

Jaco's Father 'Jack' was a drummer....
He learned from him.....
Butch Axsmith

murphinelli 05-16-2007 02:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 12561

Jaco was the man and left us way too early. Is influence is great.

aydee 10-28-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCDrummer (Post 312305)
Correct! He actually recorded the drums on two separate tracks--one for the high-hat pattern and another for everything else.

There's a great biography of Jaco by Bill Milkowski called "Jaco: The Extraordinary and Tragic Life of the World's Greatest Bass Player." Milkowski was a friend of Jaco's so there's a lot of really good first-hand info in there and it's a who's who of jazz musicians in the 70's and 80's.

Jaco's albums as a leader are, of course, absolutely wicked, but I'm also a big fan of the stuff he did as a sideman, like with Pat Metheny on "Bright Size Life" and Joni Mitchell on "Mingus" and "Shadows and Light".

Jaco is not only one of my favorite bassists, but one of my favorite jazz musicians period.

You speak one of the ultimate truths, my friend. I know exactly how you feel.

p.s. He "discovered" Peter Erskine too

KzSgDrummer 10-29-2007 04:27 AM

Jaco and Joni together is sheer heaven!

Check this out, from Shadows and Light: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bSuCOcL39U

Ashton Drum's 10-31-2007 08:10 AM

A Portrait Of Tracy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXOnhzoC-i8

Fassa Albrecht 11-01-2007 10:11 PM

I'm learning to play Portrait of Tracy at the moment.....it is HARD!

aydee 11-02-2007 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fassa Albrecht (Post 374545)
I'm learning to play Portrait of Tracy at the moment.....it is HARD!

Do you have Jacos one and only Video ( it was made pre-DVD days ) ? He demonstrates it.