DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ulf Stricker here! (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26042)

Ulf Stricker 04-18-2007 12:21 PM

Ulf Stricker here!
 
Hi there!
My name is Ulf Stricker and I am new in the drummerworld roster. It is a big honour to be among so many great players, and I hope that I can contribute something to this forum as well.
I would like to thank you again, Bernhard, for putting me on your site and I appreciate your work so much!
It was great to meet you at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt!
Take care!

Ulf

TitanSound 04-18-2007 12:23 PM

Re: Thanks for having me here and hello to everybody!
 
Hello and welcome to the forums!

NUTHA JASON 04-18-2007 12:24 PM

Re: Thanks for having me here and hello to everybody!
 
welcome ulf...

here's a link to ulf's DW page

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Ulf_Stricker.html

http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/dru...tricker567.jpg

7red7 04-18-2007 12:45 PM

Re: Thanks for having me here and hello to everybody!
 
Welcome aboard!!! Always great to see another drummer finding a home on the interwebs :D

HAPPY POSTING!!!

DAN

00Schneider 04-18-2007 01:46 PM

Re: Ulf Stricker is here
 
Servus!


Your DVD is great.


see ya soon

00

:-)

Bernhard 04-27-2007 11:07 AM

Re: Ulf Stricker is here
 
Hi Ulf - just saw, that you joined.

Great, to have you on board.....

Hope to meet again soon - and everybody: check out Ulf - great work and DVD...

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Ulf_Stricker.html

Bernhard

root 05-25-2007 11:58 AM

Re: Ulf Stricker is here
 
Hallo Ulf!

Yesterday I discovered your 6stroke- roll workshop on youtube and later had some good fun trying some of your ideas on the set. So thank you!

Vinnysimmo 08-17-2007 09:18 PM

Re: Ulf Stricker here!
 
Hello Ulf!
Ive been asking a few other pros this question. If you could only play drums for one hour of evry day, what would your practice routine be?
Thanks
// Vincent.

Ulf Stricker 08-18-2007 12:11 AM

Re: Ulf Stricker here!
 
Hello Vincent!
This is a very good question.
I would try to combine more than one thing in an exercise for example: Try to play reading exercises over ostinatos to practice reading and coordination at one time. Play rhythmical pyramids over a certain sticking to practice speed, endurance and coordination at one time.
Practice different things each day, for instance one day in the week is the "feel" day for me, where I just play time in as many styles as I can imagine at that day. Another day could be the "tempo" day. Everyone has tempos where he feels uncomfortable, "wanting" to speed up or slow down. Work on this for one hour every week. I have a rudiment workout routine as well, I grab one rudiment and practice literally everything which comes up to my mind with that ver< particular thing: Solofills, Grooves , Coordination Exercises, Permutations and so on
Or: Make a schedule for each week and try to really keep it, i.e. 10 min warmup, 10 min soloing, 10 min some new technical problem, 10 min brushes, 10 min doublebass, 10 min free playing. There is lots of possibilties. The latter is sometimes hard because you feel bad stopping something after 10 min not having achieved your goal, but maybe you reach the goal in two weeks and then it was worth going that extra mile.
I hope some of my ideas can help you a little bit!
Greetings from Germany!
Ulf

drummerchick435 08-18-2007 01:26 AM

Re: Ulf Stricker here!
 
Hi Ulf! Welcome to DW and I look forward to your posts.

Vinnysimmo 08-18-2007 04:51 PM

Re: Ulf Stricker here!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulf Stricker (Post 349310)
Hello Vincent!
This is a very good question.
I would try to combine more than one thing in an exercise for example: Try to play reading exercises over ostinatos to practice reading and coordination at one time. Play rhythmical pyramids over a certain sticking to practice speed, endurance and coordination at one time.
Practice different things each day, for instance one day in the week is the "feel" day for me, where I just play time in as many styles as I can imagine at that day. Another day could be the "tempo" day. Everyone has tempos where he feels uncomfortable, "wanting" to speed up or slow down. Work on this for one hour every week. I have a rudiment workout routine as well, I grab one rudiment and practice literally everything which comes up to my mind with that ver< particular thing: Solofills, Grooves , Coordination Exercises, Permutations and so on
Or: Make a schedule for each week and try to really keep it, i.e. 10 min warmup, 10 min soloing, 10 min some new technical problem, 10 min brushes, 10 min doublebass, 10 min free playing. There is lots of possibilties. The latter is sometimes hard because you feel bad stopping something after 10 min not having achieved your goal, but maybe you reach the goal in two weeks and then it was worth going that extra mile.
I hope some of my ideas can help you a little bit!
Greetings from Germany!
Ulf

Hello.
I was thinnking of something along those lines. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. It means a lot.

Vinnysimmo 08-24-2007 10:29 PM

Re: Ulf Stricker here!
 
Hello Ulf.
You were very helpfull to me last time i had a question. Thanks again for that.
I now have another question. What do you think is the best way of developing foot independence?
Thanks.
// Vincent.

Ulf Stricker 09-10-2007 02:01 AM

Re: Ulf Stricker here!
 
Hi Vincent!
I think there are also different approaches to this topic.
One could be: Pick an ostinato with your feet and try to read a magazine or book while playing that ostinato, completely forgetting what you are actually doing. Do that for like half an hour and try to stay focused on the content of the magazine. So the ostinato becomes something you never will have to think about any more.
A second way could be a practicing routine like the following:
Figure out the microtime of your ostinato, i.e. 16th, triplets or whatever. Play the microtime along with your hands. Try to play various accents while keeping the microtime hand to hand. Change the stickings and try to keep the ostinato. Play any rudiment you can imagine over the ostinato.
Try to establish a second timeline in addition to the ostinato. For example: If the ostinato is a cycle of 12 notes, try to play a cycle of 5 or 7 with your hands, then switch it to just one hand, leaving one limb open for soloing.
Or give your third limb (besides the feet) a fixed task. Example: Play left foot clave, a Songo Bassdrum and a cascara in the right hand. Add all imaginable types of accents with your left hand.

Try to split up not only within hand and feet. Example: Play a double stroke between your left hand and your left foot and try to solo against it with the right part of the body.
There is a lot more to discover. Your only limit is your imagination.
Im sure you will come up with own ideas soon!
Good luck!
Ulf

Vinnysimmo 09-10-2007 05:00 PM

Re: Ulf Stricker here!
 
Thanks for getting back to me. It means a lot
I will try some of your suggestions next time i practice.
Vincent.

Ulf Stricker 11-18-2007 05:10 PM

Re: Ulf Stricker here!
 
Hi there!
I did a clinic with my brother last week and we played a composition of mine called "the parrot" where I play the same stuff as my brother, but one 16th behind. In the middle section we have some unison parts and a blastbeat passage at the end.
Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4sOwu2T0fM

drum.lad 11-18-2007 10:17 PM

Re: Ulf Stricker here!
 
welcome to the forum Ulf the parrot was very impressive man me and my bro try and do stuff together but in never sounds this good

GRUNTERSDAD 11-19-2007 12:42 AM

Re: Ulf Stricker here!
 
MB in Da House is a great groove and Playing the cymbals with the microphone in Delayed Action is quite innovative. Welcome and have a good time.

mind_drummer 11-19-2007 03:42 AM

Re: Ulf Stricker here!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulf Stricker (Post 349310)
Hello Vincent!
This is a very good question.
I would try to combine more than one thing in an exercise for example: Try to play reading exercises over ostinatos to practice reading and coordination at one time. Play rhythmical pyramids over a certain sticking to practice speed, endurance and coordination at one time.
Practice different things each day, for instance one day in the week is the "feel" day for me, where I just play time in as many styles as I can imagine at that day. Another day could be the "tempo" day. Everyone has tempos where he feels uncomfortable, "wanting" to speed up or slow down. Work on this for one hour every week. I have a rudiment workout routine as well, I grab one rudiment and practice literally everything which comes up to my mind with that ver< particular thing: Solofills, Grooves , Coordination Exercises, Permutations and so on
Or: Make a schedule for each week and try to really keep it, i.e. 10 min warmup, 10 min soloing, 10 min some new technical problem, 10 min brushes, 10 min doublebass, 10 min free playing. There is lots of possibilties. The latter is sometimes hard because you feel bad stopping something after 10 min not having achieved your goal, but maybe you reach the goal in two weeks and then it was worth going that extra mile.
I hope some of my ideas can help you a little bit!
Greetings from Germany!
Ulf

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulf Stricker (Post 358386)
Hi Vincent!
I think there are also different approaches to this topic.
One could be: Pick an ostinato with your feet and try to read a magazine or book while playing that ostinato, completely forgetting what you are actually doing. Do that for like half an hour and try to stay focused on the content of the magazine. So the ostinato becomes something you never will have to think about any more.
A second way could be a practicing routine like the following:
Figure out the microtime of your ostinato, i.e. 16th, triplets or whatever. Play the microtime along with your hands. Try to play various accents while keeping the microtime hand to hand. Change the stickings and try to keep the ostinato. Play any rudiment you can imagine over the ostinato.
Try to establish a second timeline in addition to the ostinato. For example: If the ostinato is a cycle of 12 notes, try to play a cycle of 5 or 7 with your hands, then switch it to just one hand, leaving one limb open for soloing.
Or give your third limb (besides the feet) a fixed task. Example: Play left foot clave, a Songo Bassdrum and a cascara in the right hand. Add all imaginable types of accents with your left hand.

Try to split up not only within hand and feet. Example: Play a double stroke between your left hand and your left foot and try to solo against it with the right part of the body.
There is a lot more to discover. Your only limit is your imagination.
Im sure you will come up with own ideas soon!
Good luck!
Ulf

Still I'm gonna say it

Welcome aboard, have fun & enjoy your stay.

I'd like to say those are greats tips for people like me have just enough practice time allowed per day (unfortunately or fortunately I'm only allowed to sit behind the kit for 30 mins. per day). I must say though it's really hard to stick to the schedule.

Take care

A+

Ulf Stricker 01-31-2008 01:12 PM

Re: Ulf Stricker here!
 
For those that are interested in some fill in concepts with 6 stroke rolls and stuff derived from that, have a look @ this. Its a workshop in 3 parts, the language is German though, but I think it also works without knowing the words.
Have fun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDLdB2Uv5C0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtY600K6zVg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVPFqTYEAmE

TitanSound 01-31-2008 02:00 PM

Re: Ulf Stricker here!
 
Thank you for the videos!!! I like the concept at the end of the second one, using the floor tom and bass drum to create a low roll type effect :)

Vinnysimmo 02-01-2008 09:47 PM

Re: Ulf Stricker here!
 
Agreed. Interesting stuff.

jake_larson 09-02-2009 07:38 AM

Re: Ulf Stricker here!
 
wow you have some very interesting and creative ideas I like it, keep it up

hynyclo 09-22-2009 06:15 AM

Re: Ulf Stricker here!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulf Stricker (Post 405401)
For those that are interested in some fill in concepts with 6 stroke rolls and stuff derived from that, have a look @ this. Its a workshop in 3 parts, the language is German though, but I think it also works without knowing the words.
Have fun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDLdB2Uv5C0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtY600K6zVg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVPFqTYEAmE

I think this is enough .....


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com