DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Your Gear (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   cjl71178's ludwig classic birches (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25651)

cjl71178 04-06-2007 04:46 PM

cjl71178's ludwig classic birches
 
time to show off the other ludwigs.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...acksparkle.jpg
this pic is from the first show i played with this kit back in 2004.


i'm sorry these set of pics aren't as good as the ones of my maples. i had these setup in the family room last month and just took pics for the heck of it. once the nicer weather decides to show up here in PA, i'll set them up outside and get better pics. but here they are for now.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...dwigbirch1.jpg

drums: ludwig classic birch in black sparkle finish
8x12 rack tom (with pearl ISS mount)
14x14 floor tom
16x16 floor tom
18x22 kick drum
6x14 yamaha anton fig snare
5x12 pearl firecracker wood snare

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...dwigbirch3.jpg
cymbals: zildjian brilliants (except noted)
from left to right in above pic
8" a splash
13" k/z hi hats
16" a medium thin crash
17" a medium crash
12" paiste sound formula mini hats (mounted on ludwig hi hat arm)
8" a custom splash
20" k custom ride
16" a medium crash
18" a custom china
18" k medium thin dark crash
19" a medium thin crash

hardware: all tama, roc-n-soc throne and one animal doll

heads: evans
coated g2's/black resonants on toms
aquarian superkick 2 on kick batter
ludwig reso w/remo muffl on kick front
coated power center reverse dot/aquarian hi performance snare side on anton fig snare
coated g2/hazy 300 on firecracker snare

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...dwigbirch4.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...dwigbirch2.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...dwigbirch5.jpg

drumminjohn 04-06-2007 05:19 PM

Re: cjl71178's ludwig classic birches
 
Wow, that looks really nice.. Do you like it better with the white or black resonant on the bass?

cjl71178 04-06-2007 06:14 PM

Re: cjl71178's ludwig classic birches
 
thanks,

i actually like the white one. i used to have a clear one front with the same type logo as the black head, it looked really neat to me seeing right through the drum. i also have a smooth white front head that came with my ludwig maples. i got a decal from vintagelogo.com...i'll have to dig it out and snap a pic of it.

driver 04-07-2007 02:18 PM

Re: cjl71178's ludwig classic birches
 
Love the finish and snare. Great cymbals too. I have seen a pair of 14 K/Z hats online for cheap and im so tempted!

drumminjohn 04-07-2007 05:25 PM

Re: cjl71178's ludwig classic birches
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjl71178 (Post 297276)
thanks,

i actually like the white one. i used to have a clear one front with the same type logo as the black head, it looked really neat to me seeing right through the drum. i also have a smooth white front head that came with my ludwig maples. i got a decal from vintagelogo.com...i'll have to dig it out and snap a pic of it.

That's cool, I asked because my friend gave me a white resonant for my black Pearl kit and I couldn't decide which one I liked better(black or white)

Jusstickinaround 04-07-2007 07:43 PM

Re: cjl71178's ludwig classic birches
 
Very nice kit! Did you happen to buy that drum throne off ebay? I sold one exactly like that a few months ago.

bonzolead 04-07-2007 08:01 PM

Re: cjl71178's ludwig classic birches
 
I was looking at your Maple kit and was wondering which one do you like better Birch or Maple?I know the Birch kits are cheaper and it's Birch shells duh! but do the drums resonate and sould just as good or do the Maples blow them away?i'm considering buying a ludwig kit so your opinion would be appreciated.

Keep Swatting,
Bonzolead

jollymosher 04-07-2007 09:57 PM

Re: cjl71178's ludwig classic birches
 
very nice drums man! pretty good cymbal set up too.

cjl71178 04-09-2007 03:50 PM

Re: cjl71178's ludwig classic birches
 
thanks guys!

driver,
i love my 13" k/z's. i actually did play the 14" ones because I went to an Anton Fig drum clinic years ago and loved the sound of his hi hats. i went with 13" ones because 14" seem too big for me. you wouldn't be disappointed with them though.

juststickinaround,
no, i've had that throne for a long time...very comfortable and big enough for my rear! HA.

cjl71178 04-09-2007 04:47 PM

Re: cjl71178's ludwig classic birches
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzolead (Post 297731)
I was looking at your Maple kit and was wondering which one do you like better Birch or Maple?I know the Birch kits are cheaper and it's Birch shells duh! but do the drums resonate and sould just as good or do the Maples blow them away?i'm considering buying a ludwig kit so your opinion would be appreciated.

Keep Swatting,
Bonzolead

I hope I can help you on this. I actually like both (don't frown just yet!).

At the time, the only reason I bought the classic maples was because the classic birches weren't offered yet. I've been a fan of birch for a long time. A close friend of mine who helped me out when I first started playing had a practice place where he kept his Tama Superstars (which were birch). He gave me a key and let me go practice there whenever. I fell in love with those Superstars, but my friend would never part with them. I had owned a Pearl export kit for a few years and then finally traded it in for a set of Tama Starclassic Performers (100% birch). I was so happy and pleased with them, that kit got me through so many shows and whatnot. But deep down, I still wanted a set of Ludwigs. When the time (and money) came, I had no doubt in my mind that my next set were going to be Ludwigs and I went with the maples. They were very different than my performers. The maples were very warm sounding and it took me a long time to get used to them. Also, the group I was playing with at the time wasn't miking every drum so the maples were alot quieter.

Now that I own the classic birches, I'm finally back to the sound I've been familiar with. IMO, birch just sound brighter and louder to my ears. Don't get me wrong, I have my maples set up in my drum room right now and they're unbelieveable too.

If this makes sense, to me, maples are more of a "studio" kit, and the birches are more of a "live" kit. Before I get blasted by a maple lover, that is MY opinion.

Your best bet would be (if possible) trying out both kits. If you lived near PA, I would gladly offer you to come and test drive both of my kits.

I hope I helped you and not confuse you more. Best of luck.

bonzolead 04-09-2007 06:44 PM

Re: cjl71178's ludwig classic birches
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjl71178 (Post 298393)
I hope I can help you on this. I actually like both (don't frown just yet!).

At the time, the only reason I bought the classic maples was because the classic birches weren't offered yet. I've been a fan of birch for a long time. A close friend of mine who helped me out when I first started playing had a practice place where he kept his Tama Superstars (which were birch). He gave me a key and let me go practice there whenever. I fell in love with those Superstars, but my friend would never part with them. I had owned a Pearl export kit for a few years and then finally traded it in for a set of Tama Starclassic Performers (100% birch). I was so happy and pleased with them, that kit got me through so many shows and whatnot. But deep down, I still wanted a set of Ludwigs. When the time (and money) came, I had no doubt in my mind that my next set were going to be Ludwigs and I went with the maples. They were very different than my performers. The maples were very warm sounding and it took me a long time to get used to them. Also, the group I was playing with at the time wasn't miking every drum so the maples were alot quieter.

Now that I own the classic birches, I'm finally back to the sound I've been familiar with. IMO, birch just sound brighter and louder to my ears. Don't get me wrong, I have my maples set up in my drum room right now and they're unbelieveable too.

If this makes sense, to me, maples are more of a "studio" kit, and the birches are more of a "live" kit. Before I get blasted by a maple lover, that is MY opinion.

Your best bet would be (if possible) trying out both kits. If you lived near PA, I would gladly offer you to come and test drive both of my kits.

I hope I helped you and not confuse you more. Best of luck.

Thanks for the input I just might have to get the birch kit since I gig more than record I played the starclasics performer which like you said is birch and if the ludwigs sounded better than them then i'm sold.I also have got a pearl export select kit they're a decent kit but I want a American kit(Ludwigs).I really do appreciate your opinion.

Keep Swatting,
Bonzolead

Randy 04-09-2007 07:36 PM

Re: cjl71178's ludwig classic birches
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjl71178 (Post 298393)
I hope I can help you on this. I actually like both (don't frown just yet!).


If this makes sense, to me, maples are more of a "studio" kit, and the birches are more of a "live" kit. Before I get blasted by a maple lover, that is MY opinion.

Funny you should say that, because Yamaha has offered the birch "Recording Custom" for years, saying they are naturally EQ'd for recording.

I'm not saying I disagree with you - I've heard some great-sounding birch kits live and recorded. I just wonder about marketing sometimes...

cjl71178 04-09-2007 09:17 PM

Re: cjl71178's ludwig classic birches
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy (Post 298454)
Funny you should say that, because Yamaha has offered the birch "Recording Custom" for years, saying they are naturally EQ'd for recording.

I'm not saying I disagree with you - I've heard some great-sounding birch kits live and recorded. I just wonder about marketing sometimes...

I do remember reading about the recording customs being naturally EQ'd for studio recording (they're an awesome sounding drum as well). Very interesting marketing...

cjl71178 04-09-2007 09:18 PM

Re: cjl71178's ludwig classic birches
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzolead (Post 298444)
Thanks for the input I just might have to get the birch kit since I gig more than record I played the starclasics performer which like you said is birch and if the ludwigs sounded better than them then i'm sold.I also have got a pearl export select kit they're a decent kit but I want a American kit(Ludwigs).I really do appreciate your opinion.

Keep Swatting,
Bonzolead

I'm glad that you appreciate my opinion, I know you won't be disappointed with Ludwig. When you do get them, we want pics right away! :) Peace.

thecraponline 04-11-2007 07:38 AM

Re: cjl71178's ludwig classic birches
 
Very nice kit, the setup looks very comfortable. It definitely looks striking from the front with all those shiny cymbals.

I'm curious about your Pearl ISS mount - firstly, in the picture it looks like it is being used with an L-arm; I am wondering how you got it to work like that (to my knowledge Pearl does not offer ISS mounts that work with L-arms.) Secondly, how well do you like the ISS mount? I have been considering upgrading my kit to ISS, and I was wondering if this would be worth the $18.

cjl71178 04-11-2007 04:37 PM

Re: cjl71178's ludwig classic birches
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thecraponline (Post 299172)
Very nice kit, the setup looks very comfortable. It definitely looks striking from the front with all those shiny cymbals.

I'm curious about your Pearl ISS mount - firstly, in the picture it looks like it is being used with an L-arm; I am wondering how you got it to work like that (to my knowledge Pearl does not offer ISS mounts that work with L-arms.) Secondly, how well do you like the ISS mount? I have been considering upgrading my kit to ISS, and I was wondering if this would be worth the $18.

I bought the ISS mount because I bought the drum without the tom bracket drilled to the shell. Also, I already had an old Pearl tom arm I could use and it would be alot easier removing the ISS mount when I put the tom into its case. I couldn't get the tom set to where I really liked it, so I removed the pearl bracket and replaced it with a gibraltar L rod mount http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/pic...ls/sc_stl3.jpg. I had to redrill into the ISS mount to make it fit, but it works fine for me plus I can use my tama tom arm. I really like the ISS mount, the tom resonates more than it would on a snare stand.

thecraponline 04-12-2007 02:14 AM

Re: cjl71178's ludwig classic birches
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjl71178 (Post 299293)
I bought the ISS mount because I bought the drum without the tom bracket drilled to the shell. Also, I already had an old Pearl tom arm I could use and it would be alot easier removing the ISS mount when I put the tom into its case. I couldn't get the tom set to where I really liked it, so I removed the pearl bracket and replaced it with a gibraltar L rod mount http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/pic...ls/sc_stl3.jpg. I had to redrill into the ISS mount to make it fit, but it works fine for me plus I can use my tama tom arm. I really like the ISS mount, the tom resonates more than it would on a snare stand.

Alright, thanks for the reply.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com