DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Vernel Fournier (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25359)

jazzin' 03-30-2007 06:39 AM

Vernel Fournier

Man, I just did a search and couldn't find Vernel Fournier.....? I dug out my 'Live at the Pershing' recently and have had it on repeat constantly. Sometimes I wonder if there has been a better trio.

Either way, Vernel had some of the most cracking playing for a small combo you will ever hear. His brush work astounds me consistently and I find myself re-inspired to work madly on them after listening to him.

Does anyone else dig him here?

jordanz 03-30-2007 07:47 AM

Re: Vernel Fournier!

The Amad Jamal trio was the best Jazz trio of all time. Vernel's brush work was amazing.

lochday 03-30-2007 01:13 PM

A master of brushes!

jazzin' 03-30-2007 07:41 PM

Cool! I must admit, I was wondering if I would get a reply at all. I know some of the jazz guy's here would dig him, but has anyone else heard of him?

Muckster 03-30-2007 07:47 PM

Vernel's playing on "Poincianna" is one of the best drum tracks ever.

jazzin' 03-31-2007 06:07 AM

Ah, yes. Poinciana is truly a brilliant piece of music. Classic use of a second line New Orleans rhythm.
That song was quite the hit back in the day I believe.
Man, when they go into the 'B' section with the ride, the piano playing in that section just freaks me out. I love it!
Moonlight in Vermont really gets me going as well.

bballdrummer34 04-11-2007 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzin' (Post 294473)
Ah, yes. Poinciana is truly a brilliant piece of music. Classic use of a second line New Orleans rhythm.
That song was quite the hit back in the day I believe.
Man, when they go into the 'B' section with the ride, the piano playing in that section just freaks me out. I love it!
Moonlight in Vermont really gets me going as well.

Well said. He came right from that New Orleans style. A lot of people don't know that. It's sad there are only 6 posts about this very important drummer.

jazzin' 04-12-2007 12:22 PM

Re: Vernel Fournier

It is sad. A lot of drummers have no idea who this guy is. At least the ones who do, know it counts, because he is something special. Whereas someone like Tony or Elvin were in huge ground breaking groups, Fournier was not, so very few guys outside of the jazz idiom and even a few in it would have never heard of him.

Check out the Ahmad Jamal trio on Youtube for some groovy Fournier playing everyone:)

freeds 12-22-2007 02:34 AM

Re: Vernel Fournier

Vernel was the groove king
a great guy too- got to hang with him a lot