DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   DrummerWorld Site News (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Great video: Marcus Baylor with the Yellowjackets (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24753)

Drummer Karl 03-16-2007 04:12 PM

Great video: Marcus Baylor with the Yellowjackets

Hi all,

Thought I should mention that video here...great performance by Marcus and the band, here is the video (of course from Bernhard on Drummerworld! =)

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/marcusbaylor.html

thanks so much Bernhard for this!

Karl

tracer 03-16-2007 07:45 PM

Re: Great video: Marcus Baylor with the Yellowjackets

Very musical guy.Are those Oak Customs?

Class A Drummer 03-16-2007 08:55 PM

Great video. Im surprised how he plays. He is an amazing player, but the way he plays them. Like his grip and style is so unordinary. Its great!

Davidb59 06-27-2007 04:45 PM

Looks like he went to the Ari Hoenig school of drumming

CoryTACP 06-27-2007 07:35 PM

Marcus is really fun to watch and his playing is just great. His style seems to be a little stiff at times but he can still lay it down. I'm wondering what snare he's playing in that video. Any ideas?

jayp 06-28-2007 05:31 AM

Man that killed, Great style, Thanks for that Karl.
Yea its a 14X7 Yamaha Elvin Jones signature snare
http://www.wwbw.com/Yamaha-MSD1470EJ...m-i21938.music

somedrummer 06-28-2007 05:51 AM

That was some great playing. And his setup looks so comfortable. I might have to try something like that at some point.

T.Underhill 06-28-2007 06:29 AM

I see what you mean about stiff, but laying it down smooth at the same time. Unusual style but so enjoyable to watch. That snare sounded incredible!

Drummer Karl 06-28-2007 03:50 PM

Yep, he plays a Yamaha signature snare drum. Such a beautiful snare drum. Not just beautiful looking, also awesome sounding! Though I never really thought about putting a Powerstroke 3 on it.

His playing style is really impressive I think. He is very groovy and for me such a stiff style of playing makes my drumming much more sensitive, a bit more exact...and calmer. Sometimes I love to play so stiff, adds a different taste.

Just thought I`d mention this vid. =)

best,

Karl

Tuxido 06-28-2007 08:29 PM

heh, I find it hard to play stiff, but it really changes the sound, you should watch Brian blade on jazz crimes, on youtube.

Drummer Karl 06-28-2007 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuxido (Post 328337)
heh, I find it hard to play stiff, but it really changes the sound, you should watch Brian blade on jazz crimes, on youtube.

Brian, one of my biggest influences. Brian Blade plays in that way, too...or at least in a very similar way. Jazz crimes is one of my favourites on my MP3 player and on Youtube the version is great!
But hey: The cover of "Summertime" with Mr. Blade, Joshua Redman, Brad Mehldau and Larry Grenadier is absolutly amazing.

But okay, that is Brian Blade, let`s stick to Marcus Baylor. =) haha...

Karl

Tuxido 06-29-2007 05:51 AM

I just came back from seeing the YellowJackets (with mike stern(montreal jazz fest))
And he really plays stiff all the time, It makes him play really soft, (he was playing with 1 brush and one stick, and the stick sound on the snare was as low as a gentle tap with the brushes.) also, playing like this seemed to really bring out the sound of his cymbals.
He really impressed me.

CoryTACP 06-29-2007 07:01 PM

I'm jealous of anyone that has had a chance to go watch the Yellowjackets. If anyone is interested in asking Marcus a question that he will actually respond to pretty quick go to the yellowjackets home page and then to the Buzz forum. In the forum you'll see a place for Marcus's post. He's really cool and from a personal note he's an awesome Christian. He really is outspoken about his faith and that is something special now days.

Tuxido 06-29-2007 10:04 PM

What I found weird yesterday was that he never even touched his "left side" tom and snare, I wonder why he brought them

Drummer Karl 07-26-2007 09:20 PM

btw, what Hi-Hat does he play in this video?? I know, it`s just mic`d but from what Ive heard it has a beautiful tone and chick, really smooth, yet pretty high-pitched.

Looks like a Sabian Prototype to me...what do you think?

Karl

brittc89 07-26-2007 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuxido (Post 328910)
What I found weird yesterday was that he never even touched his "left side" tom and snare, I wonder why he brought them

Well, thats not the whole concert, man. Just one tune.

Tuxido 07-27-2007 12:03 AM

I saw him at a concert, he did not touch them in any of the songs. But I still liked the show :)

Wavelength 07-27-2007 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuxido (Post 328910)

Certainly a drummer needs something to keep his pint of ale on?

Raymond Bloom 08-04-2007 01:53 AM

a couple days back I was in clinics with him and also saw Yellowyackets live, he had two just wonderful drum solos! He's a great down to earth guy, it was cool to hang out with him

Drummer Karl 08-04-2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond Bloom (Post 344000)
a couple days back I was in clinics with him and also saw Yellowyackets live, he had two just wonderful drum solos! He's a great down to earth guy, it was cool to hang out with him

Very cool! From what I`ve heard he`s such a brilliant person and drummer of course.
Did he mention his influences by the way? :-)

I`m just curious...

Karl

Raymond Bloom 08-28-2007 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummer Karl (Post 344106)
Very cool! From what I`ve heard he`s such a brilliant person and drummer of course.
Did he mention his influences by the way? :-)

I`m just curious...

Karl

Yes, hi did mention his influences...but... I forgot.... *blush*
What he sayed was that his favourite drummers are great piano players as well, for example - Jack DeJohnette (he's the only one I remember)! Marcus also plays piano and this is one of the things how he comes up with ideas for drum parts, he's all about being melodic and perfectly complimenting the music being played by other band members, you can really feal that when listening to him..!

Drummer Karl 08-28-2007 07:44 PM

No problem!
Yeah, Marcus sounds really great, melodic...he fits in so well.

Karl