DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Peter Erskine (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24681)

Paul Quin 03-14-2007 02:43 PM

Peter Erskine

While it is difficult to beleive there is not a thread devoted to Pete Erskine, I searched and couldn't find one! I could, however, just be incompetent. In any event, he is one of the greatest players around. His understanding of the musicality of jazz is second to none. His technique is close to flawless and he is the consummate drummer/musician. Check out his work with Weather Report, his work with Alison Krauss and even his live work with Steely Dan. I think I appreciate him because of his understanding of space - listen to Steely Dan's Third World Man off the Live in America CD. Fantastic!

Here's a clip for those unfamiliar with his work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0nR8vU9qkE

and of course: http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Peter_Erskine.html

Paul

thiscocks 03-19-2007 04:48 PM

Re: Pete Erskine

Obviously not enough respect for this amazing drummer! Does great jazz playing and also amazing grooves. Fave stuff is his stuff off the Michael Colombier album. Quality taste and intricate phrasing.

antoinejazz 03-19-2007 08:30 PM

This drummer is a master...I like his sound and I think this project with Jan Garbarek and Miroslav Vitous was very great. It was an experience very interesting ( sorry for my English, I'm Belgian).
Here is a small video of this project...http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv5kTiR86lA
Keep swingin'
Antoine

Waterjet 03-19-2007 09:13 PM

Yes, he's always been a favorite of mine. I have his two timekeeping videos and one of his solo CDs. I bet there is already a thread here, maybe under Peter Erskine.

Ashton Drum's 10-18-2007 06:44 AM

Man I highly recommend you check out this video its awsome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5c3H6LpLZI

percusboy 10-18-2007 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Quin (Post 287178)
While it is difficult to beleive there is not a thread devoted to Pete Erskine, I searched and couldn't find one! I could, however, just be incompetent. In any event, he is one of the greatest players around. His understanding of the musicality of jazz is second to none. His technique is close to flawless and he is the consummate drummer/musician. Check out his work with Weather Report, his work with Alison Krauss and even his live work with Steely Dan. I think I appreciate him because of his understanding of space - listen to Steely Dan's Third World Man off the Live in America CD. Fantastic!

Here's a clip for those unfamiliar with his work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0nR8vU9qkE

and of course: http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Peter_Erskine.html

Paul

peter is truly the musicians drummer. always gigging and always sounding great.

Erik Lund 10-19-2007 08:30 AM

I haven't really been into him [at all]. Anything (i.e. any *ONE*) I should check out to stuff a sock in my mouth? I just feel like he does everything well in a very "professional" way, but not really in the sort of...(I dunno how to express it without being a jerk...) *artistic* way that makes me want to listen to it over and over. Also, I once hung out with a drummer out here in LA that had a great style and good head on his shoulders, really dug his style - he took a lesson with Erskine and said Peter was telling him he "wasn't playing jazz" - after hearing this guy play and hearing that - I decided I didn't want to hear Peter's version of jazz...

foursticks 10-20-2007 06:23 PM

I think I'm gonna agree with Erik's point of view on this one.

I feel that Erskine though being an amazing drummer doesn't take any risks or play on impulse when he's playing.

I think he always places it safe and there's hardly any intensity and not really any case where he just let's go and dives into the music head first, which is what (IMO) music is all about in the end - just going for it and making it sound and feel good.

S'pose, like Erik that's just my take on Erskine's playing. I guess I'd rather listen to drummer like Roy Haynes or Elvin Jones where that risk and intensity is there.

Of course, if I'm shown something which just proves what I've said completely wrong - then I'll happily retract the statement.

But in the meantime give me some Elvin over Erskine anyday.

Green and Mean 11-06-2007 08:40 PM

He is definetely one of the greatest in drumming history. Listening him is great but watching is even more better. My point is, how he plays. With such freedom and feeling, sound and technique. I actually log in after so much time passed, wanted to see some hot discussion about Peter, but whoa!, his unpopularity here frightened me.

foursticks 11-11-2007 01:40 AM

Oh don't get me wrong, I think he's a fantastic drummer - great sound and tone, with a ridiculous amount of fludity around the kit.
I just think he's a bit too much of a safe player - I don't really feel that element of risk and sudden release of tension when listening to him. I dunno how to describe it, but I know what Erik means about that 'professional' way of playing.
I guess it's just personal taste in the end, but his style of playing doesn't excite me that much compared with other drummers.

Erik Lund 11-14-2007 07:17 AM

Once again - if there's something out there to change my mind about him, let me know, rather than a generalized "he's great".

gusty 11-14-2007 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foursticks (Post 370886)
S'pose, like Erik that's just my take on Erskine's playing. I guess I'd rather listen to drummer like Roy Haynes or Elvin Jones where that risk and intensity is there.

Of course, if I'm shown something which just proves what I've said completely wrong - then I'll happily retract the statement.

But in the meantime give me some Elvin over Erskine anyday.

Elvin is his most favourite drummer...his hero i guess. I've got one if his dvd/book packs (the erskine method), and he has some really tasty playing on there.

Erik Lund 11-14-2007 09:26 AM

"Dynamics? I'm playing as loud as I can!"

That is a line from Erskine from a video he did YEARS ago. He was talking about dynamics and said when most drummers think "dynamic" they think [above quote]. A buddy drummer at college had the same video and that quote was thrown around anytime someone said "dynamics". Good times.

Still a by-the-numbers player, IMO.

gusty 11-14-2007 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Lund (Post 378268)
"Dynamics? I'm playing as loud as I can!"

haha, nice :P

Bernhard 11-14-2007 01:48 PM

Elvin over Erskine - Erskine over Elvin......holy cow ...what a blah blah

Risk and Intensity:

Yes, Peter doesn't take too many risks. How could he?

If a little child leaves just the house alone for the first time, adventure begins. But Peter is the owner of the house, knowing every stone in the garden, not easy to take adventure risks there. So probably he should fly to the moon to make you happy.

Just saw him at Pasic with Alex Acuna topping the bill - playing some WeatherReport stuff. He really was on fire as never seen before - every of the great drummers there around agreed.

Video-take will follow on Drummerworld.

Bernhard

http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/dru...nebernhard.jpg
PASIC Nov. 2007

Erik Lund 11-14-2007 02:43 PM

Re: Peter Erskine

Bernhard comes in!

Can I get a CD rec? That's all I've been asking for.

Erik Lund 11-14-2007 02:53 PM

The whole "Elvin over Erskine" thing...Well, sure I'll take that, since I've already said I haven't heard anything from Erskine that really makes me jump up and listen, and Elvin being a favorite in many ways, but:

What I am saying is, the reason *I* *ME* *ERIK LUND* hasn't/haven't been wowed by Erskine is because *for me* he doesn't have that certain something I look for when I choose what music I listen to. Hell, I listen to music everyone here would agree is total crap/garbage - I'm holding back here - I try to throw out drummers I think people would dig if they relax their ears. I listen to stuff that the closest "out" guy here would think is total garbage. Some guy here posted his stuff (which I haven't heard) and someone said it sounded like Marc Ribot. If that's the outest stuff...good lord. Marc Ribot is pop music, man.

Having said all of that...If there isn't something in the music that makes me tingle, I don't listen. I enjoy other drummers who are far less technical than Erskine, because they have certain qualities/ideas that make me think "That's cool/awesome/etc" (yes, I think "etc", doesn't everyone?)

I would love to get a rec that would change my mind. I'm guessing it would be a young Erskine, since most of my Erskine listening has been old/older/recent Erskine. Did he do anything on ECM? I think so, but not sure (and apparently too lazy to check the world wide web...)

Dynamics? I'm playing as loud as I can!

Alexdrum75 11-14-2007 03:01 PM

Mr. Erskine, he's not only a truly gifted drummer, he's a fully accomplished musician.

Find me another drummer of the likes of Mr. Erskine: there are not very much out there.

Erik Lund 11-14-2007 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexdrum75 (Post 378317)
Mr. Erskine, he's not only a truly gifted drummer, he's a fully accomplished musician.

Find me another drummer of the likes of Mr. Erskine: there are not very much out there.

I am still waiting for a recommendation (ie a CD THAT HE PLAYS ON) that will change my mind. I love all this generalized posting.

...And not to split atoms here, but I would hope that a "gifted" drummer would be considered an "accomplished musician"... what a ridiculous statement, regardless of who it speaks of.

jazzgregg 11-14-2007 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Lund (Post 378343)
I am still waiting for a recommendation (ie a CD THAT HE PLAYS ON) that will change my mind. I love all this generalized posting.

...And not to split atoms here, but I would hope that a "gifted" drummer would be considered an "accomplished musician"... what a ridiculous statement, regardless of who it speaks of.

Erik, are you sure you're not sifting through my old posts and passing them and the opinions in them as your own (albeit with a bit more self-absorption) and in turn reigniting many conversations that have already been had on here?

Just asking, it's creepy sometimes.
G

Bernhard 11-14-2007 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzgregg (Post 378344)
Erik, are you sure you're not sifting through my old posts and passing them and the opinions in them as your own (albeit with a bit more self-absorption) and in turn reigniting many conversations that have already been had on here?

.....not really. You are both members of the JAZZPOLICE, so you have the same arguments....sorry, just fun, couldn't resist.

___

you need samples of Peters playing?? Perhaps some older stuff with Jaco will do the trick, or Cherokee for fine uptempo drive with Manhattan?

No!!!!

Just stand beside Peter, see him play a fine medium tempo ride, then watch his left hand on snare and listen to the feathered bassdrum - i'm in heaven and only a very little handful of drummers can play like this.

It's the same feeling as Steve Gadd playing his in reality simple grooves: They sound for themself perfect. Copying is possible with some work, but never sounds the same as the master.

Be sure!!

Bernhard

aydee 11-14-2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Lund (Post 378313)

What I am saying is, the reason *I* *ME* *ERIK LUND* hasn't/haven't been wowed by Erskine is because *for me* he doesn't have that certain something I look for when I choose what music I listen to.

Knock knock.

"who's there?"

Erskine.

" Erskine who?"

I'm Erskine' you to play me a tune that wows me !

p.s. Him n Jaco, Eric, Volcano for hire.

Bernhard 11-14-2007 04:56 PM

Video, Peter jumping in:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/p...jumpingin.html

Cherokee, Manhattan Jazz Quartet, live:

http://www.drummerworld.com/m3u/pete...necherokee.m3u

that's the ticket, Bob Berg:

http://www.drummerworld.com/m3u/Pete...nethatsthe.m3u

B.

Alexdrum75 11-14-2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Lund (Post 378343)

See, I don't care to change your mind. And, please, write in lowercase next time, just in case you don't know writing uppercase equals shouting.

Next: many drummers (in general) out there aren't accomplished musicians. Being a drummer doesn't equals necessarily being an accomplished musician (in other words how many drummers write music like Mr. Erskine do??? Not many!)
It's not a ridiculous statement.

KCDrummer 11-14-2007 07:18 PM

I'm so glad Bernhard jumped to Peter's defense! I can see how some would think that Peter doesn't take any risks and stays in the safe place, but if you've ever SEEN him play, it's obvious that even though he rarely plays extremely choppy or complex stuff, he always plays with intense passion. He is the type of drummer that I strive to be, which is a musician first and a drummer second. Perhaps the great composer and band leader Gordon Goodwin put it best when he said that Erskine "finds music in places I wouldn't even think to look."

The great drummer Michael Carvin also put it well when I was asking him his opinion on various drummers. I went through a few names, he had good things to say about some, bad things about others. Then I asked him about Peter Erskine and he said "Well, Peter's just the Champion."

My favorite Erskine albums are:

Weather Report, "8:30"
Jaco Pastorius, "The Birthday Concert" and "Word of Mouth
Peter Erskine Trio (w/Alan Pasqua and David Carpenter), "Badlands"

drummer-derk 11-14-2007 07:22 PM

hello

peter erskine is proubely one of the
greatest jazz player of al times
i think he's doing it great
p.s nice drum kit on the clip

greets,derk

LinearDrummer 11-14-2007 07:27 PM

There's a track on John Patitucci's self titled Cd from the old GRP days called Searching,Finding and if you didn't look at the credits you would think its Elvin playing....an absolute incredible track....Its the best track on the CD and thats with Weckl (my favorite drummer) and Vinnie on there.....

Also his DCI Everything is Timekeepin 2 VHS is a great educational video....

Paul Quin 11-14-2007 10:28 PM

20 characters - double post -sorry

foursticks 11-14-2007 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCDrummer (Post 378400)
I'm so glad Bernhard jumped to Peter's defense! I can see how some would think that Peter doesn't take any risks and stays in the safe place, but if you've ever SEEN him play, it's obvious that even though he rarely plays extremely choppy or complex stuff, he always plays with intense passion. He is the type of drummer that I strive to be, which is a musician first and a drummer second. Perhaps the great composer and band leader Gordon Goodwin put it best when he said that Erskine "finds music in places I wouldn't even think to look."

Now this is the response needed to shut me up.

I guess, I haven't seen and heard that much of Erksine's playing to fully appreciate his talent. I didn't mean risks by crazy choppy stuff blah blah blah - I was just looking for that factor in his playing that makes me wanna stand up and shout 'yeah!'
It's not that he's boring or anything, just I haven't had any moments where it makes me want to listen to it over and over and over again.
That's what I mean't by Elvin over Erskine - Elvin really heats things up, builds this incredible tension and I just want to hear him over and over again, Erskine hasn't done that for me yet. Don't know if it's just me, but when a piece of music really connects - I get these random rushes of pure adrenaline and when a drummer or artist does that, I want to listen to them more. The two styles are very different though..

I can definately see Erksine's passion behind his playing, but like I keep saying - I've still got to hear more of his playing before I can fully make up my mind. Maybe, there is that mystery record out there, that'll turn me on to his playing. When I find it, I'll tell y'all.

Just my opinion in the end, doesn't make him any less of a musician or drummer. Besides, it's me who's missing out.. If he ever comes round here though, I'll defo check him out.

Paul Quin 11-14-2007 10:32 PM

Great stuff Bernhard! I don't think any criticism should come Eric's way for his opinion or the way he stated it. We all love what we love because it hits us at some kind of emotional level. All Eric is saying is that Peter E doesn't actually hit him on an emotional level. Eric's other posts have made it clear that he a lover of those drummers who feel less inhibited by musical convention and have a desire to push the drumming and musical envelope. Taking that as a given, it is not too surprising that he doesn't get all sweaty about Pete Erskine.

I love Erskine because of his relationship with the music which he is playing - he supports the music without becoming over intrusive. He is a master of the musical understatement. I think Bernhard's comparison with Gadd, because of that factor, is a good one. Eric never said Pete wasn't a great drummer - just that he didn't connect with his playing on an emotional level. And after the number of times he asked for CD recommendations who can criticise him for the capitals!!

To that end loved his playing with the Brecker Brothers on "Some Skunk Funk", with the Jaco Pastorius Big Band and an album with Bob Sheppard called Tell tale signs.

Paul

p.s. sorry for speaking for you Eric -no offense intended.

KCDrummer 11-15-2007 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foursticks (Post 378469)
Now this is the response needed to shut me up.

I guess, I haven't seen and heard that much of Erksine's playing to fully appreciate his talent. I didn't mean risks by crazy choppy stuff blah blah blah - I was just looking for that factor in his playing that makes me wanna stand up and shout 'yeah!'
It's not that he's boring or anything, just I haven't had any moments where it makes me want to listen to it over and over and over again.
That's what I mean't by Elvin over Erskine - Elvin really heats things up, builds this incredible tension and I just want to hear him over and over again, Erskine hasn't done that for me yet. Don't know if it's just me, but when a piece of music really connects - I get these random rushes of pure adrenaline and when a drummer or artist does that, I want to listen to them more. The two styles are very different though..

I can definately see Erksine's passion behind his playing, but like I keep saying - I've still got to hear more of his playing before I can fully make up my mind. Maybe, there is that mystery record out there, that'll turn me on to his playing. When I find it, I'll tell y'all.

Just my opinion in the end, doesn't make him any less of a musician or drummer. Besides, it's me who's missing out.. If he ever comes round here though, I'll defo check him out.

I know what you mean about the "yeah!" factor, I look for that in drummers (well, all musicians) too. But the first time I saw Erskine, he didn't make me stand up and say "yeah!", he made me sit down and say "wow". I saw his trio at the Jazz Kitchen in Indianapolis, and me and my buddy were expecting him to throw something wicked down. But they opened with a beautiful tune called "Surrender", a mellow straight-eighth tune with a haunting melody (this is the lead track on their album "Badlands"). We were stupified by how simple Erskine's playing was and even more stupified by how beautiful he made this stupidly simple playing sound. He was playing with brushes and didn't play anything other than the snare for what seemed like half the tune. On another tune called "On the Lake", he played half notes on the ride cymbal with a brush--NOTHING ELSE--for the first two minutes of the tune. There I was, thinking I had to play seven against thirteen with my hands while making a sandwich with my feet in order to get an audience to appreciate me or even take notice, and there he was, captivating a whole room full of people with...half notes on the ride cymbal.

As I watched him, it became obvious to me that he was feeling every single note he heard and played, and because he was feeling it, we were feeling it--I had never seen such passion, sensitivity and honesty. That night, and the many subsequent nights I spent listening to "Badlands", changed the way I play and think about the drums and music in general.

foursticks 11-15-2007 07:38 PM

Sounds incredible man. I think it comes down to personal taste in the end, I like alot of intensity in my music - something I like to relate to. I guess over a period of time, my ears'll mature to the more subdued playing - not saying that I don't like 'simple' playing at all (Jimmy Cobb on Kind of Blue is pure genius) just that I think Erskine's playing has yet to grow on me. Thanks for your insights though, I can definately see why Erskine is so appreciated now.

Erik Lund 11-16-2007 10:53 PM

No offense taken, Paul. You actually hit a few things I was gonna say when I popped back in (like the capital letters. Yeah, I know it's taken as "shouting" Alex. I was shouting intentionally, since no one wanted to back up their post with a CD rec...sorry, didn't mean to shout cd there...And generally, when people don't/can't do that, I take that as them possibly-not-having/knowing-one)

Thanks for the clips Bernhard. I gave them all a listen, and I will respectfully say they didn't change my opinion on him, and I'll leave it with that.

"Next: many drummers (in general) out there aren't accomplished musicians. Being a drummer doesn't equals necessarily being an accomplished musician (in other words how many drummers write music like Mr. Erskine do??? Not many!)
It's not a ridiculous statement."

I was saying a *GREAT* drummer is an "accomplished musician" - not just being a drummer. And I don't think writing songs is a necessary requirement to being an accompished musician. What would Buddy or Grady Tate have to say about that? (to name a few) Nothing wrong with being "just" great at the drums. No need to say "oh and I also play piano" to get some sort of "musician-cred"

Garvey 12-29-2009 05:58 PM

I had the pleasure of seeing Peter Erskine and his trio at the Jazz Bakery in L.A. back somewhere around 1994. That is a VERY small venue amd my wife and I sat in the front row, probably 10 feet from Peter's drum set. My wife says, "Isn't this gonna be loud sitting here"? I said wait and see!
To this day I have never seen anyone play the drums with such amazing control and finesse - and I've seen Weckl and Smith and Phillips and RICH all live! Playing drums quietly is one of the hardest things to do. I sat there transfixed...It was an amazing performance and one of my top five drum experiences.

Mr. Erskine is a true master and can truly bring out the beauty of the instrument.

slingerland755 12-29-2009 07:33 PM

I know exactly what you mean. Perfect!

Pat Petrillo 12-29-2009 09:00 PM

I had the pleasure of studying with Peter when he was living in New York City in the 80's during Steps Ahead times..

He was my first "real" teacher, and he could not have been more of a gentleman, yet to the point, and helpful. My concept of timing playing in general, form Jazz, to Brazilian (which he play so beautifully) to grooves, comes from him

So inspiring..THANKS, Peter!! I am forever greatful for being with you in those "Modern Times" in NYC!

JoeLackey 02-18-2010 07:26 PM

Peter has a relaxing sound of his own. It's more than an honor to just listen to him play. One of my all time favorites.

Funky CrÍpe 02-18-2010 10:28 PM

Erskine said that he used to try to always build anticipation and excitement. Which i suppose some of you were looking for.

he also said that today he lets those moments choose him, which would explain why some people don't really favour him, and why others just love him.
i'm one of the latters, i can't get enough of the guy. just saw this video of him, it's on drummerworld aswell, it almost sounds like a mini- rock solo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3kbk...eature=channel

and if anyone would like to answer the question i posted on the video, i would like that!

Drums101 02-19-2010 04:23 AM

You gotta love his drumsticks Vic Firth makes. They truly are the greatest jazz sticks ever made.

mutant 02-24-2010 05:44 PM

I loved how open his drum sound was on john abercrombie's album, current events. The intro tune "clint" really kicks in. Its probably how most so called jazz drummers tune their drums, very open with very little or no muffling, but to me its just a really honest representation of how drums are actually "supposed" to sound. There is no bs gimic involved with Erskine, just one the absolute greats on drums.