DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   avenged sevenfold debate (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24479)

moe.ron 03-09-2007 03:09 AM

avenged sevenfold debate

this is just to see how you guys feel about the new sound of avenged sevenfold. i personally love it. i never got into them before city of evil because i can't listen to music with a lot of screaming not to mention it seemed like they were holding back a lot where as now they seem to unleash all hell on the disk. m shadows is a fantastic singer, the rev is insane(not my type of drumming but still great), and of coursy synester gates is one of the greatest guitarists to come along since slash. any opinions?

Mr. Pasquini 03-09-2007 03:30 AM

Re: avenged sevenfold debate

I don't like them. Never had a taste for them, just not heavy enough for me... they don't seem real and raw the way I like my metal.

hawk9290 03-09-2007 03:40 AM

as musicians, they are all very talented, and there music is pretty good, but as much as I try, I just cannot get over their personalities. nevertheless, they are in my collection of music, and I do listen to them from time to time.

moe.ron 03-09-2007 04:08 AM

what kind of heavy are you referring to?

franklinj 03-09-2007 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moe.ron (Post 284902)
this is just to see how you guys feel about the new sound of avenged sevenfold. i personally love it. i never got into them before city of evil because i can't listen to music with a lot of screaming not to mention it seemed like they were holding back a lot where as now they seem to unleash all hell on the disk. m shadows is a fantastic singer, the rev is insane(not my type of drumming but still great), and of coursy synester gates is one of the greatest guitarists to come along since slash. any opinions?

Not to sound rude, but do you listen to a lot of metal? There have been plenty of guitarists that FAR surpass Slash and A7X's guitarist. Granted he is one of the better guitarists on the radio nowadays (not counting studio musicians), but he is nowhere near as good as he is hyped up to be. Same goes for the rest of the members- many more creative and more technically gifted players have flown under the pop culture radar.

I have to agree w/ Mr. Pasquini on this one. Their sound has never striked me as unique. I prefer earlier thrash, black and death metal, but then again, thats just me.

ns3476 03-09-2007 04:29 AM

Don't get me wrong, their really really good musicians and all but i don't think i would go out and buy their record. Even if i were to go buy their record, it would probably be one that i would listen to a couple songs off of and that would be it. The rev is a great drummer and their guitar player is really talented, but the music they make would be something that I would only want to listen to once in a while and its not something that would keep me interested for a long time. Before they made city of evil, i had never even heard of them at all.

moe.ron 03-09-2007 05:04 AM

i actually listen to a lot of metal i'm just not a fan of anything with screaming or the singer sounds like cookie monster, no offense. but gates has a certain sound thats strikes me a little differently i don't know why. i'm not saying they're the greatest band or anything but i'm comparing them to the loads of crap thats out today. and secondxheartbeat, you do know m shadows had vocal chord surgery right? anyway i kinda feel the same way about gym class heroes. their older stuff(for the kids and papercut chronicles) is amazing and i was let down alittle by the new album mostly due to fall out boy production but everyone loves this new cupids chokehold when its not even the real version and they have much much better songs. i too was/am a fan of punk music like the ramones the clash richard hell the damned television rancid op ivy all those bands, but tastes matured as my drummings evolved

rendezvous_drummer 03-09-2007 07:27 AM

I think they're a gimmick. No offence to you if you like them, they can play their instruments, but I find the singer to be a fake. Thinks he's metal but does a terrible job. And what's with their nicknames....

drumminbro23 03-09-2007 08:28 AM

Personaly im realy not sure where i stand with avenged sevenfold. Lol I defantly dont think the singers voice is that great, but for some reason i didnt mind it on the "Waking The Fallen " album. Basicaly that whole cd was put together great (each song) not necasarly the track's order. So i give them some credit for that cd but im not so big on their new stuff

sloppyn9ne 03-09-2007 12:23 PM

very very talented band.

how ever i want to know why the guitarist and the singer did a song with good charlet...?

Mr. Pasquini 03-09-2007 12:38 PM

Look at my avatar. I'm a ridiculous Mastodon fan, and I love the sword. I like sludge and a muddy feeling, like you have to fight your way through the wall of sound. Something with a lot of bass and a heavy drum part. Meshuggah has it also and there are a few out there. It's a hard sound to make sound good, I think.

Backwards Marathon 03-09-2007 03:23 PM

yeah i agree, their like the "posers" of the industry lol. and yeah, they arent rally heavy enough for my likings.

jollymosher 03-09-2007 03:34 PM

people make the mistake of rating them based on metal. Base them on Punk metal.. and its plenty heavy. i love metal, but i hate cookie monsters. so i like them.

moe.ron 03-09-2007 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini (Post 285019)
Look at my avatar. I'm a ridiculous Mastodon fan, and I love the sword. I like sludge and a muddy feeling, like you have to fight your way through the wall of sound. Something with a lot of bass and a heavy drum part. Meshuggah has it also and there are a few out there. It's a hard sound to make sound good, I think.

i figured thats what you were talking about. are you an alice in chains or soundgarden fan? they sludge from time to time, especially alice in chains

Mr. Pasquini 03-09-2007 04:10 PM

Of course I like Alice! Now before I talk about it anymore, I do respect your liking of Avenged Sevenfold, they do have a few songs that are admittedly alright. I'm just not into the punk type scene. Everyone markets them as a very heavy band... or at least in my area, all these little kids wear A7X shirts and tell you that A7X is so hardcore and they have all the toughest music. It's got a lot to do with the crowd around here.

moe.ron 03-09-2007 05:04 PM

i hate when little kids or these "poser" kids like a band because they're a new hit and think they're so hardcore. i do not like avenged sevenfold because they're "hardcore" i, like you, enjoy the music i listen to because i want to not because its whats in.

franklinj 03-09-2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini (Post 285054)
Of course I like Alice! Now before I talk about it anymore, I do respect your liking of Avenged Sevenfold, they do have a few songs that are admittedly alright. I'm just not into the punk type scene. Everyone markets them as a very heavy band... or at least in my area, all these little kids wear A7X shirts and tell you that A7X is so hardcore and they have all the toughest music. It's got a lot to do with the crowd around here.

I know how you feel man. When im listening to Exodus, Testament, or Malevolent Creation at school, a lot of kids ask what im listening to (and dont expect the answer since I dont look "metal" enough :>) ) . As soon as I say that, the kids start saying about how much better A7X is, and even how much more technically gifted they are. I cant stand it.

I think its just like Slipknot- the musics allright, but I cant stand the fans.

TheMattador 03-09-2007 05:29 PM

They're ok IMO. A little too mainstream for my tastes but the rhythm section for that band is quite good. Singer sounds like a whiny brat and I agree with franklinj thant there have been MANY guitarists to surpass A7X's guitarist. Slash is good but he's more of an icon from the 80's rock scene (and there is nothing wrong with that) and Velvet Revolver never should have happened. But what do I know, im more of a classic rock fan than anything else. Pink Floyd, AC/DC and Hendrix are my kind of performers...

Mr. Pasquini 03-09-2007 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franklinj (Post 285091)
I know how you feel man. When im listening to Exodus, Testament, or Malevolent Creation at school, a lot of kids ask what im listening to (and dont expect the answer since I dont look "metal" enough :>) ) . As soon as I say that, the kids start saying about how much better A7X is, and even how much more technically gifted they are. I cant stand it.

I think its just like Slipknot- the musics allright, but I cant stand the fans.

This metal looking thing is tough on me, too. I'm at a private school so most of the people are very preppy. I wear collared shirts most of the time just because it's what I have, everyone assumes I'm just another DMB fan because of it.

This is about to come an all around metal debate but let me pose a question
Am I the only one who constantly gets battered with statements like "Jack Johnson and DMB are better than all metal bands because their lyrics are more thoughtful and I have my head shoved up my A**."? It's as though the people are too afraid of liking metal to even give it a chance, the mainstream won't change because people are afraid of being different. I personally find an equal amount of meaning in the way the notes and instruments are used. What do you guys think?

Mapex589 03-09-2007 06:41 PM

I am not a big fan by any means, but I like some of the tunes from "City". I had a chance to meet them last year at our radion station event and they were cool as hell. When I meet a band and they aren't a bunch of a-holes I tend to like them a little more. Anyway, the one thing I can say for A7X is that they know the lost art of putting on a show. They know how to give a crowd what they paid for by putting on a great stage show.

moe.ron 03-09-2007 07:06 PM

the metal things been around for years. people are terrified of metal and just write it off as noise, but if you give it a chance and dig a little deeper you find some of the most gifted musicians AND songwriters ever

Mapex589 03-09-2007 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moe.ron (Post 285138)
the metal things been around for years. people are terrified of metal and just write it off as noise, but if you give it a chance and dig a little deeper you find some of the most gifted musicians AND songwriters ever

Moe.ron - I totally agree with you. Listen long enough, and you can hear the beauty!! I love metal!!

Mr. Pasquini 03-09-2007 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moe.ron (Post 285138)

Agreed
twenty characters ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!

drozzy 03-10-2007 10:24 AM

The bass drum sounds he uses drive me insane. He uses DW bass drums... Why trigger them with such a stupid clicking sound? It sounds like what i get when i tap my pen on the wooden desk infront of me.

drozzy 03-10-2007 10:43 AM

NO, i can perfectly understand its use in death and grind music, where there is a horrendous amount of 32nds being played extremely quickly. A lot of natural resonance wouldnt be practical in that sense.

But this music? With weird-clicky-trigger-bass... no thanks. I like to process my beef mince, not my bass drum sound.

Jeff Almeyda 03-10-2007 11:35 AM

They got old pretty fast for me. I have Waking the Fallen and City of Evil and I can't even listen to them anymore.

The guitar solos sound like he is just practicing his scales. It's pretty shallow stuff.

DWfan20005 03-10-2007 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moe.ron (Post 285080)
i hate when little kids or these "poser" kids like a band because they're a new hit and think they're so hardcore. i do not like avenged sevenfold because they're "hardcore" i, like you, enjoy the music i listen to because i want to not because its whats in.

Extremely good point, theres all these girls at my school that listen to Lamb Of God just because they want to get the guys and thats what most guys listen to. It drives me insane.

da cheese walks 03-10-2007 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moe.ron (Post 284940)
i actually listen to a lot of metal i'm just not a fan of anything with screaming or the singer sounds like cookie monster, no offense.

ahhhhh Necrophagist!!!hahaha....cookie monster....describes him in 2 words....good stuff!!

i personally cant stand these guys...especially the revrends drum sound....argh!!!annoying....overproduced...but i mean i listen to loadsa stuff,i just find them a bit too tame...

oh the lead singer out of my band met the guitarist guy.....!

franklinj 03-20-2007 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWfan20005 (Post 285474)
Extremely good point, theres all these girls at my school that listen to Lamb Of God just because they want to get the guys and thats what most guys listen to. It drives me insane.

You have girls listening to LOG at your school?

Most of the boys listen to LOG at your school?

Where the hell do you live? Most people here are stuck on "Yung X" or "Lil X" rapper.

lstardrums 03-20-2007 05:34 AM

as long as they dont reference dragons or lightening they wont bother me. i mean i like metal as much as the next guy, but the dragons and lightening were done to death.........

TheMattador 03-20-2007 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franklinj (Post 289621)
You have girls listening to LOG at your school?

Most of the boys listen to LOG at your school?

Where the hell do you live? Most people here are stuck on "Yung X" or "Lil X" rapper.

Same here, lol. I don't know what people see in rap music :/

Mr. Pasquini 03-20-2007 06:40 PM

All of the 14 people at my school who listen to metal are my friends. It's a tough life to be into what isn't the norm...

franklinj 03-20-2007 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini (Post 289815)
All of the 14 people at my school who listen to metal are my friends. It's a tough life to be into what isn't the norm...

Especially when you dont look like a metal kid. People think I listen to Creed and all of that alt. crap, and when they find Malevolent on my Mp3 player, they give me the classic "wtf" look.

Wegadrummer 03-20-2007 07:59 PM

For me, avenged sevenfold is an ok band.. Its not my favourite, but I dont hate them.. My opinion.

secondXheartbeat 03-20-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini (Post 289815)

That's about how my school was, except there were about 11 kids.

Two of them moved, and two only like power metal. Of course I'm not counting the poser goth kids who listen to Limp Bizkit and Korn and wear bondage clothing for attention.

I actually found one cute girl who liked Lamb of God. She was incredibly hot, and even does modeling and stuff. But, shes 17 and is dating a 21 year old guy so thats pretty much a no go for me.

Mr. Pasquini 03-20-2007 08:27 PM

My girlfriend listens to everything I do and I don't force her. Even Burn The Priest. She likes Mastodon and Lamb of God

secondXheartbeat 03-30-2007 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini (Post 289862)
My girlfriend listens to everything I do and I don't force her. Even Burn The Priest. She likes Mastodon and Lamb of God

Thats awesome, I'm talking to this girl now who has a really open mind when it comes to music (she herself is a singer.)

It's nice to meet girls who dont have that "ewww METAL!" attitude.

Mr. Pasquini 03-30-2007 12:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That's her in between my legs. I got really lucky... she already liked metal when we started dating... I've always had trouble with girls who don't like the music I like... I mean I can understand not liking metal, but at least try for me...

sevenfold 11-08-2007 12:28 AM

If you're into bands like Avenged Sevenfold, check out their new self-titled album. If you havenít picked it up yet, I recommend the MVI version because it has two discs. It has a DVD, a make-your-own-ringtones program, buddy icons, lyrics, and tons of videos. It has a bunch of videos, including a Making Of, and animated short, a Studio Tour and more. And of course it also has the regular CD so you can listen in your car!
Check out the website for more information http://mvimusic.com/avengedsevenfold/ or just post a question and I will respond. I work with the agency promoting this exciting new release.

Thanks,
Laura

bojangleman 11-08-2007 04:03 AM

very well put!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wegadrummer (Post 289851)
For me, avenged sevenfold is an ok band.. Its not my favourite, but I dont hate them.. My opinion.

Alex