DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   DrummerWorld Site News (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Google Ads (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24454)

Bernhard 03-08-2007 11:29 AM

Google Ads

Hi all

I just added some Google Ads here in the Forum.

I hope, they are not too disturbing - don't they fit in nicely?

They are very helpful to keep the site going....

Thanks

Bernhard

Latin Groover 03-08-2007 11:34 AM

Re: Google Ads

Ahh i just signed in and thought they weren't here 2 hours ago. Although they look...umm...i liked the picture of Dogbreath at the Sabian meeting alot more!lol. But Drummerworld must stay alive, so i think we can live with it. Its a small price to pay for what you've done Bernhard.

d.c.drummer 03-08-2007 01:32 PM

= (

Ill miss that picture, but I really didnt notice until i read about it so (like my opinion really matters) it can stay.

remnantdrummer 03-08-2007 02:49 PM

yeah, it helps support Drummerworld; so why not?

murphinelli 03-08-2007 03:34 PM

i think they're great, except for the "quick links" menu option. Google ads should be removed from menu buttons/pulldowns.

i was getting tired of the picture of ted nugent up there...lol...

Drummer Karl 03-08-2007 03:58 PM

haha, I was very surprised when I entered...lol

If it keeps the site going it will be good. and actually it is not disturbing or so...

Karl

max77 03-08-2007 04:18 PM

It's a good choice to put the ads right on the top of the page , I did'nt see it the first time and it don't affect the navigation in the forums.

Good work Bernhard.

tamadrummer132 03-08-2007 04:41 PM

wait what happened? the only difference i see is the picture... but what does thathave to do with google?

bromasi 03-08-2007 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernhard (Post 284608)
Hi all

I just added some Google Ads here in the Forum.

I hope, they are not too disturbing - don't they fit in nicely?

They are very helpful to keep the site going....

Thanks

Bernhard

well I don't like it but I can live with it as long as it helps the forum to keep going.

Deathmetalconga 03-08-2007 05:04 PM

I think the ads are fine and I'm glad you've found a way to make the site more profitable. Anyone who complains should make a donation!

drummerchick435 03-08-2007 05:11 PM

As long as it helps DW its fine with me.

Wavelength 03-08-2007 06:34 PM

They certainly don't bother me, since all ads get filtered out by Firefox and my internet security software...

sloppyn9ne 03-08-2007 06:58 PM

what ever keeps this amazing alive...

i liked it the old way though. lol.

no its good though.

Bernhard 03-08-2007 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wavelength (Post 284716)
They certainly don't bother me, since all ads get filtered out by Firefox and my internet security software...

Makes no sense ....bad idea - so please make a donation. thanks

Bernhard

da cheese walks 03-08-2007 07:16 PM

its fine!

were bombarded with horrific amounts of advertising etc.

so weve learned to ignore nowadays....

fourstringdrums 03-08-2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernhard (Post 284727)
Makes no sense ....bad idea - so please make a donation. thanks

Bernhard

It makes perfect sense, he doesn't want to be bothered by ads everywhere, so he has the right to block them.

Don't you only make money if someone clicks on them anyway?

Wavelength 03-08-2007 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourstringdrums (Post 284751)
It makes perfect sense, he doesn't want to be bothered by ads everywhere, so he has the right to block them.

Indeed. I have every right of choosing what kind of information my web browser transfers (and doesn't transfer) to me. I find all kinds of advertisements irritating, and I've never ever wanted to click on any ads on any web page. As fourstringdrums said, you only get money for each click, not for each viewed ad. I won't ever click on any ad -- especially when none of the advertised services are available in my country -- so there really is no harm in filtering them out.

Now, if holding an account on the DW Forums required some monthly, or even weekly ad clicking, I'd have no problem with it. At the present the forum rules do not deny users from blocking ads, nor do they force me to view any ads or click on them, and therefore I choose not to see ads and not to click on them.

Deathmetalconga 03-08-2007 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wavelength (Post 284756)
Indeed. I have every right of choosing what kind of information my web browser transfers (and doesn't transfer) to me. I find all kinds of advertisements irritating, and I've never ever wanted to click on any ads on any web page. As fourstringdrums said, you only get money for each click, not for each viewed ad. I won't ever click on any ad -- especially when none of the advertised services are available in my country -- so there really is no harm in filtering them out.

Now, if holding an account on the DW Forums required some monthly, or even weekly ad clicking, I'd have no problem with it. At the present the forum rules do not deny users from blocking ads, nor do they force me to view any ads or click on them, and therefore I choose not to see ads and not to click on them.

So, do you intend to choose your right of making a donation towards helping to keep the site going?

I am pleased these advertisments give us the potential to help DW. Aren't you?

drummerchick435 03-08-2007 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourstringdrums (Post 284751)

Don't you only make money if someone clicks on them anyway?

Really? Is just when you click but don't purchase any of the products? I'll click on an ad every time I come on to put some money your way! This is a great site (my favorite one!) and I don't want to see it go!

Wavelength 03-08-2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga (Post 284767)
I am pleased these advertisments give us the potential to help DW. Aren't you?

Certainly, and I encourage everyone to keep on clicking to their heart's content. In fact, I just allowed the GoogleAd scripts for a minute and clicked on a couple of ads -- and that's more than I've clicked during my entire stay on DW. It doesn't change the fact that I find seeing ads unpleasant, and therefore I choose to filter them out most of the time. Makes no sense? Makes perfect sense to me.

X22 03-08-2007 10:41 PM

Makes perfect sense to me.

And by the way, some of those paid Google ads actually cost the advertiser money every time you click them (Google charges per click). You aren't helping anything by clicking madly on those links.

Breadmonkey 03-09-2007 01:21 AM

Do what you gotta do to keep this brilliant site up and running B.

maddrummr 03-09-2007 02:09 AM

What ever keeps me here free!

I bought a Drummerworld supporting member golf shirt and made my donation : )

d.c.drummer 03-09-2007 03:01 AM

I was thinking though, would it be possible to put the old pic back up under the ad or something? Everything being in grey is sort of institutional.

I know i cant complain because i am yet to make a donation and i depend on this site, but its just a suggestion. Thanks.

JacobKaye 03-09-2007 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drummerchick435 (Post 284772)
Really? Is just when you click but don't purchase any of the products? I'll click on an ad every time I come on to put some money your way! This is a great site (my favorite one!) and I don't want to see it go!

Well, if you were paying for each click of your ad... would you appreciate a group a people, that have no interest, just clicking away? It abuses and misuses the whole concept of "Win/ Win". I know I don't appreciate it! And, in fact, if people were to be consistently inconsiderate of others, in this regard...well, these advertisers might stop putting the clickable ads on the site! And then where would that portion of the support be? It's a double-edged sword!

DogBreath 03-09-2007 03:46 AM

I think it's great. Anything that helps keep DrummerWorld up and running. I hope that no one thinks Bernhard is making money off of these ads. They only defray a very small part of what he pays to give us this wonderful site for free.

drummerchick435 03-09-2007 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacobKaye (Post 284901)
Well, if you were paying for each click of your ad... would you appreciate a group a people, that have no interest, just clicking away? It abuses and misuses the whole concept of "Win/ Win". I know I don't appreciate it! And, in fact, if people were to be consistently inconsiderate of others, in this regard...well, these advertisers might stop putting the clickable ads on the site! And then where would that portion of the support be? It's a double-edged sword!

Woah! I didn't mean for this to happen...even though I'm a teenager I don't know much about the internet...sorry...I will click politely!

EDIT:Where can I get those shirts people are talking about? I've looked everywhere on the site. I want to buy one.

Deathmetalconga 03-09-2007 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wavelength (Post 284778)
Certainly, and I encourage everyone to keep on clicking to their heart's content. In fact, I just allowed the GoogleAd scripts for a minute and clicked on a couple of ads -- and that's more than I've clicked during my entire stay on DW. It doesn't change the fact that I find seeing ads unpleasant, and therefore I choose to filter them out most of the time. Makes no sense? Makes perfect sense to me.

Believe it or not, I don't necessarily see ads as unpleasant. As long as they aren't pop-ups, there aren't a million of them on the page, they don't flash rapidly or do anything else annoying, I sometimes see products and services that I want to buy. I see ads as just another component of the site - the component that helps keep the site alive. I want to support companies that are supporting sites I like. Bernhard's ads are pretty restrained, compared to some sites you go to.

We are flooded with so much annoying advertising that it's easy to forget that when done correctly, advertisements have a legitimate role in generating revenue and informing visitors about goods and services they want or need.

harryconway 03-09-2007 08:05 AM

We crossed a similar bridge a year or so ago. Bernhards server fee's alone are $3500 a month. So I'm for anything and everything he can do to make this site pay for itself.

DogBreath 03-09-2007 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drummerchick435 (Post 284946)
EDIT:Where can I get those shirts people are talking about? I've looked everywhere on the site. I want to buy one.

Here's a post about the shirts, and some handsome men modeling them for you.

rendezvous_drummer 03-09-2007 08:12 AM

It don't bother me none. It doesn't subtract to how helpful the site is. Advertisement is good.

Deathmetalconga 03-09-2007 06:38 PM

Apparently some search robot is finding and inserting the ads. I've seen some for replacement Lexmark printer drums!

I wonder if ads for the Pearl drum set show up on office supply sites.

jollymosher 03-09-2007 06:45 PM

it doesn't bother me, like that other cat, my Firefox doesn't let to much of that stuff threw. but enough so that you still get paid.

drummerchick435 03-09-2007 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogBreath (Post 284982)
Here's a post about the shirts, and some handsome men modeling them for you.

Thanks! but where's the handsome men? lol!

beavis12345us 03-11-2007 04:10 AM

I have no problems at all with google ads. My wife actually runs fan sites for sev eral popular television shows and uses google ads as well as ads for axill and amazon.com. To be honest, after her server fees we make about $700.00/month US from them.

masonni 03-15-2007 10:35 PM

Ads by Google

So, has anyone here checked out some of the Ads google sticks on this site? Has anyone ever actually bought the products they are selling? I just clicked that one up top about doubling your bass drum speed, and it just seemed so bogus. Like a late night infomercial.

Drummer Karl 03-16-2007 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drummerchick435 (Post 285141)
Thanks! but where's the handsome men? lol!

You are automatically handsome when buying such a beautiful shirt! It is really great!

thanks again Thomas, soo nice of you!

Karl

rendezvous_drummer 03-16-2007 06:03 AM

Re: Ads by Google

Quote:

Originally Posted by masonni (Post 287712)
So, has anyone here checked out some of the Ads google sticks on this site? Has anyone ever actually bought the products they are selling? I just clicked that one up top about doubling your bass drum speed, and it just seemed so bogus. Like a late night infomercial.

I like to watch late night infomercials. They are hilarious, especially Dr. Ho's massage treatment.

da cheese walks 03-17-2007 02:27 AM

Re: Ads by Google

Quote:

Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer (Post 287864)
I like to watch late night infomercials. They are hilarious, especially Dr. Ho's massage treatment.

AWWW man!!!!Im an insomniac and for years!!YEARS!!!I watched all the strange late night "Home shopping channel ads" on irish late night tv.....hilarious!!!But also brainwashing...

we had a matress,that a lion could lie on...it was inflatable...man that was a good one!!
and then the magic bullet blender...chop things in 3 seconds...wow...!

haha....

late night tv is odd over here!!

murphinelli 03-17-2007 03:28 AM

bernhard,

i use the "Quick Links" menu all the time....for "Subscribed Threads" and "Today's Posts"....you still have google ads on this menu item...which makes it reaaaallllllyyyyy wide.....which is reallllyyyy bizzzaaarrreeee.

please somehow remove the google adds from this one menu.

i also think a little picture would be cool...so as it's not so plain.

maybe a picture with you, dogbreath, and nutha together jamming...you play drumset, nutha plays djembe, and dogbreath playing.....tabla....

thanks,
murph

p.s. once again.....love this site...and you're the man!!!