DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Lewis Nash (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24277)

Drummer Karl 03-03-2007 01:45 AM

Lewis Nash

mhhh, strange that there is no thread about Lewis yet (at least I found nothing when I searched). So, I make up one for him.

I also do this because he became one of the most important influences for me. I just love his way of expressing himself on drums and his style impresses me much. He has something very fine in his playing, which is so swingy and complex. I really like Lewis` comping ideas, really inspired me. Here you can find this drummer:

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Lewis_Nash.html

So, what are your thoughts? Any CDs with him you can recommend?
For me it is a legend. As I said, he has a style which influenced and inspired me very much. Thanks Lewis.

Karl

jordanz 03-03-2007 03:28 AM

Re: Lewis Nash

Great Drummer. I can highly recommend his CD: "Rhythm is My Business"

Michael G 03-03-2007 03:36 AM

Yeah very good jazz drummer with great feel, although I could do without the fake left hand act.

Anyone know what cymbals are being played in those 4 videos?

Drummer Karl 03-03-2007 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmoothJazz (Post 282567)
Anyone know what cymbals are being played in those 4 videos?

Mhhh, I think he used a Sabian Signature Encore Mini-Bell Ride (with 2 rivets) as his Main ride...and behind this a Sabian Signature Crystal Flat Ride??? I`m not sure...

Jordan: Thanks alot for info, I`ll check it out! =)

Karl

jazzin' 03-08-2007 08:37 AM

Check out his cd Grand Slam-live at the regattabar. Has some very very nice drumming on it. Amazing ideas, and great clarity of sound. You can here every little nuance in his playing.

Drummer Karl 03-09-2007 07:07 PM

Yeah, thanks man! =)

and another question about a CD: What do you think about his CD "It don`t mean a thing" from 2004??? Looks interessting, does anybody have some samples of it for me?

thanks alot for help!

Karl

jazzin' 03-12-2007 12:57 PM

I haven't actually heard that, must get it soon. He has a couple of others as leader though. 'Rhythm is my business' is the only one I've got and it is absolutely brilliant, a must have album if you dig Nash.
Check it out!

Drummer Karl 03-12-2007 04:11 PM

Thanks very much for the advice, just checked the sound samples of "Rhythm is my business" and I like it. I think I`ll go for it.
Unfortunatly my budget is really limited but if I find it cheap I wanna buy a classic must...maybe a Coltrane piece you can recommend? Or Miles Davis?

thanks for help!

Karl

jazzin' 03-13-2007 06:11 PM

Hey Karl, so are you looking for some nice Elvin playing? Some really great Elvin stuff (not all with Coltrane though so...?) would be Ballads by Coltrane. I love ballads and this has some fantastic playing all round (All or Nothing at all has some of the best playing on it, just brilliant). 1961 Village Vanguard sessions by Coltrane is also very fine as are the usual classics A love Supreme, Blue Train with 'Philly', Giant Steps, Crescent...I mean theres so many that with a budget it's hard to pick. You know, theres an album called Unity by Larry Young in which Elvin plays some of the absolute greatest drumming on but eventually you'll pick all these up so I wouldn't worry a whole lot. I would consider Ballads or Unity.
For Mr Davis, depending on which quintet you are looking at, the 1st with 'Philly' or the 2nd with Williams, I'll assume you have Kind of Blue with Cobb. Ummm, if you are looking at the 1st I would definitely go with Milestones. A true classic bop album with crazy drumming, some of the best drum solo's and breaks you'll here! Apart from that there is the 'workin', 'cookin', 'steamin' blah blah series but I would go Milestones first then others later unless you were after the Williams period in which case Miles Smiles, Nefertiti, My funny Valentine + Four and More (same record date, the former is a slower ballady set, the latter uptempo) ESP...no wait. Too many, to make it easier I would suggest Ballads and either Milestones or Nefertiti, that way you have a good range of styles and music (uptempo, medium, ballads), tunes (some great standards), and drumming (piles of stuff to transcribe and choose from).
Good luck choosing and remember, any of these you get will be brilliant. They are all classics!
Tell me how you go.

Drummer Karl 03-14-2007 12:02 AM

Hey, thanks!! Yes, Elvin`s playing would be a blast, have some concerts of him with band/Jazz machine. But I actually wanna go for something "straighter", something more BeBop-like. So Milestone seems very very interessting, where can I buy it, I couldn`t find it on Amazon...

thanks very much

Karl

Bernhard 03-14-2007 08:36 AM

Lewis Nash is great...

Elvin is great - but don't know, why he's discussed at the Lewis Nash Site?

Bernhard

jazzin' 03-14-2007 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummer Karl (Post 286937)
Hey, thanks!! Yes, Elvin`s playing would be a blast, have some concerts of him with band/Jazz machine. But I actually wanna go for something "straighter", something more BeBop-like. So Milestone seems very very interessting, where can I buy it, I couldn`t find it on Amazon...

thanks very much

Karl

Milestones has 'Philly' playing on it, but it should be available at most places. Just make sure it's the proper album 'Milestone's', not a compilation of early Miles stuff also called Milestones.

Anyway, as Bernhard said, back to Lewis Nash. Nash did some great stuff with Tommy Flanagan that when you get a chance to check out I think you'll really enjoy. The thing with Nash is he's not hugely innovative but I would go so far to say that for straight ahead stuff I personally think he's the best player today.

the gayge 03-15-2007 04:14 AM

I really like Lewis Nash's cymbal beat and sense of swing, but I haaaated that trading fours video. The first one where he's trading with everyone. It doesn't seem like he's really responding to what the other players are doing, just kind of blazing away with all the heavy bass drum hits and tom work. I'll watch it again because I really like him as a player. Just not that video.

jazzin' 03-15-2007 01:58 PM

Hey, that's really interesting that you say that because I thought the exact opposite hehehe. I thought it was a nice answer to the melody and what the other guys were playing. Did you check out his brush playing, god it freaks me out!

Drummer Karl 03-15-2007 06:39 PM

Mhhh, I found his trading fours good actually. Exept that they sometimes didn`t know who plays when it was good. But that is Jazz, improvising. Great. I find that he reacted nicely on on those "questions". Of course we would do it a bit different, maybe we`d play not so many things but that is his very personal style.

And I LOVE his brushwork, really blows me away. His stick control sounds amazing. And his feeling...well, it is so cool.

PS: Lewis is a great drummer, and yes, also a very nice person. A few days ago I received a message from him on Myspace. I mean, which Jazz "star" sends a message to you to thank you for the nice comment you made?

Thanks to have you Lewis. haha =)

Karl

the gayge 03-16-2007 06:55 AM

I'll definitely give it another chance. I had just never seen him play that way and it seemed a little overbearing in the setting. I could have just been put off because I was expecting a lot of subtlety and what not. I guess I was hoping for something a little closer to the Marcus Baylor solo which I totally loved. I'm not really a yellowjackets fan, but that dude has a phenomenal sense of music when he's playing. Not to hijack this thread.

Back to Mr. Nash though, on record I absolutely love him. His cymbal patterning is unstoppable. A lot of really classic feel. Great player.