DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Greg Hutchinson (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20547)

murphinelli 11-17-2006 04:43 PM

Greg Hutchinson

Another hot drummer that doesn't seem to have a page in the forum??....

I've been listening to Passage of Time - Joshua Redman for a while. And Greg is hot here. Boy can Joshua pick drummers. Him and Scofield seem to have the drummers right up my alley. I put Greg in a similar camp to Brian Blade, Bill Stewart, and others.

Anyone else following Greg? Any other recommendations from his discography? Thanks.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers...utchinson.html

dawg 11-17-2006 05:16 PM

Re: Greg Hutchinson

yeah,i've heard him on the jazz radio...i remember his name,but not any particular cuts...and kenny washington,too...bill stewart i'm very familar with.

Womble 11-17-2006 07:10 PM

I only have one CD with him on, and that's a Christian McBride Band CD. Great drummer, though, fo' sure.

vadrum 11-17-2006 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphinelli (Post 239286)
Another hot drummer that doesn't seem to have a page in the forum??....

I've been listening to Passage of Time - Joshua Redman for a while. And Greg is hot here. Boy can Joshua pick drummers. Him and Scofield seem to have the drummers right up my alley. I put Greg in a similar camp to Brian Blade, Bill Stewart, and others.

Anyone else following Greg? Any other recommendations from his discography? Thanks.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers...utchinson.html

greg is a great drummer and a great musician. was passage of time the first joshua redman album, the one w/ salt peanuts. you can also check out "look what ive got" w/ betty carter, "its alright to swing" w/ eric reed, of course there's the number of recordings w/ chris mcbride, there's a trio record out w/ ray brown, and the first roy hargrove album (live album) has greg on it. all great recordings.

fusssion 11-21-2006 06:03 PM

did some stuff with Ray Brown as well!

Paul Quin 05-31-2007 06:47 PM

I saw Greg playing with the Sam Yahel Trio who are opening up for Steely Dan. I absolutely loved his sense of timing and groove as well as his dynamics and creativity. Boy can this guy swing! He is like a contemporary version of Elvin with a fair amount of Zigaboo. Great player and one to watch out for in the future!!

Paul

the gayge 06-01-2007 01:55 AM

Wooooah. I'm really loving some Hutch lately. Joe Henderson's Lush Life is a spectacular record. It's a Billy Strahorn tribute. Greg's playing is really really great and his cymbal beat is totally infectious. Either the first or second track on the record has for or five incredible drum breaks. Henderson and Hutchinson also have a duet later on the album thats awesome. On top of all this stuff, he's an awesome brush player. He uses the counter-clockwise sweep like Kenny Washington. Great player all around.

bballdrummer34 06-09-2007 11:14 PM

Man this guy is SOOOO bad how come nobody is talkin about him ?

theduke86 06-10-2007 01:48 AM

Hutchison is a master drummer, not my favorite though. That Young Lion thing is a little tiring to me now. No doubt a great musician though- the guy can play and swing in a league few are in.

gretsch223 06-30-2008 07:09 AM

beyond - joshua redman is another great album with hutch. seeing him live is so much better than the recordings though. so intense.

Vladimir Kostadinovic 08-28-2009 03:13 AM

Greg is my HERO!!!
Drummer with balls..
Every next gig you can hear from Greg some new stuff.
Simply,hi's the BEST!

slingerlandfreak 09-04-2009 01:56 AM

Great performans with Diane at Sarajevo jazz festival, i realy enjoyed.!

the gayge 09-20-2009 07:23 AM

Anyone picked up compass?

Hutch and Brian Blade on a couple of tracks together. The drums are hard panned too, so you can really get a feel for who is playing what. Great album altogether.

oops 09-20-2009 11:52 AM

Saw him at Melbourne Jazz with Redman, he signed my ticket.

What a monster! Any other good albums you've heard him on?

haredrums 10-16-2011 04:47 AM

My favorite Hutchinson, and also one of my favorite trio recordings of all time is "Live at Scullers" with Ray Brown. I have a blog post with some analysis of a great video of him playing with Ray Brown at:

http://haredrums.blogspot.com/2011/1...-dynamics.html

Mr Mantalini 10-16-2011 11:11 PM

I'm perpetually surprised at the lack of attention this guy gets. I've been listening to the first Joshua Redman album a lot lately and his playing is just superb. The near perfect recording quality is nice as well :) I really enjoy the way he slides so gracefully between different feels.

Numberless 09-22-2013 03:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by the gayge (Post 317669)
Wooooah. I'm really loving some Hutch lately. Joe Henderson's Lush Life is a spectacular record. It's a Billy Strahorn tribute. Greg's playing is really really great and his cymbal beat is totally infectious. Either the first or second track on the record has for or five incredible drum breaks. Henderson and Hutchinson also have a duet later on the album thats awesome. On top of all this stuff, he's an awesome brush player. He uses the counter-clockwise sweep like Kenny Washington. Great player all around.

i transcribed those :) awesome stuff

dmacc 09-22-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numberless (Post 1182675)
i transcribed those :) awesome stuff

Thank you William for composing and posting this PDF!

Benfordrum 04-22-2014 10:07 PM

Bump for Hutch, there needs to be WAY more talk about him on this site... I want to talk about his technique, his touch, all of that, he is such a bad mf