DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The "Support" thread... (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20096)

Drummer Karl 11-05-2006 09:46 PM

The "Support" thread...

It`s always nice to see it and then I can notice that it makes an ultra-warm feeling inside of me:
the Support betwenn people.
Actually I write this thread because of a particular reason: Daniel. He is a great guitarist and a great sound man and we love to jam together...but in this thread the sound man plays the part. I recorded some songs today and this I can tell you: The musical part of it is a pleasment BUT the technical thing with the mixer etc. is HARD! Daniel did manage all those technical thing of the recording day...he has to mix it, he has to carry the PC to me, he sits there in the night and finish the recordings for me and mix it because he has got Cubase.
However, he has the HARDEST part!! So, if you love the quality of my recordings and make compliments about it will be a compliment for Daniel.
Just wanna say thanks alot!

and my question to you is: Do you have friends/people who support you often? with money? with love?? with "normal" things in life?

Tell me...I made such a thread because those supportive people (also like STU, he gave so many Jazz-play alongs to me) need to be respected very much.

Karl

badlydubbedsean 11-05-2006 10:09 PM

Re: The "Support" thread...

Mixing is a serious business. Recording support always have a hard time, and they need to be well organised, and even adding effects is hard. I do a lot of musicals, singing and stuff, and recording and mixing click tracks and music is quite a job for the technicals. Other than that, general support is always difficult but useful, and should always be appreciated.

rendezvous_drummer 11-06-2006 12:08 AM

I had a friend who did the mixing for us when we recorded in my basement. He spent hours and hours, even days trying to come up with the best possible sound by mic placements. It's great to have people like that who support and care for ye. As my band progresses, our network system of people we know has grown alot! We have more people who have a broader knowledge of mixing and recording who are wanting to help us, but I'll never forget my friend who started out with us.

jollymosher 11-06-2006 03:43 AM

Yep! my oldman is allways supporting me in everyway. he has no clue what hes doing with music, but he listens to my ramblings anyway, and we talk about music alot together. hes allways listening to me drumming and my band playing and telling me what he likes and telling me what sucks. hes helpful and makes me inprove constantly.

drummerchick435 11-06-2006 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummer Karl
It`s always nice to see it and then I can notice that it makes an ultra-warm feeling inside of me:
the Support betwenn people.
Actually I write this thread because of a particular reason: Daniel. He is a great guitarist and a great sound man and we love to jam together...but in this thread the sound man plays the part. I recorded some songs today and this I can tell you: The musical part of it is a pleasment BUT the technical thing with the mixer etc. is HARD! Daniel did manage all those technical thing of the recording day...he has to mix it, he has to carry the PC to me, he sits there in the night and finish the recordings for me and mix it because he has got Cubase.
However, he has the HARDEST part!! So, if you love the quality of my recordings and make compliments about it will be a compliment for Daniel.
Just wanna say thanks alot!

and my question to you is: Do you have friends/people who support you often? with money? with love?? with "normal" things in life?

Tell me...I made such a thread because those supportive people (also like STU, he gave so many Jazz-play alongs to me) need to be respected very much.

Karl

My parents and youth minister definitley. My parents pay for a few drum things and support my drumming. My youth minister plays guitar and can sing well and we jam together alot.

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ 11-06-2006 07:04 AM

My wife is very supportive. That helps a great deal. I've had the opertunity of opening her mind to all sorts of music. I have friends with girlfriends or wives who give them a very hard time with their music. My kids are also supportive- hah! Even though they are very young still. My oldest loves to sing and dance to my songs, and shows great interest in drumming. Today I worked on a new recording and he was dancing with me (he's only 2.5yrs old). All of my friends give me great support.

djp132 11-06-2006 07:41 AM

My mom has never held a drum stick in her life, but can explain the moeller technique perfectly to anyone. Just from me talking about it so much and showing her new developments or things I come up with. She's super supportive. She's one of those moms that calls EVERYONE "sweetie" or "hun" or "honey". She rules.

Also my number one fan Alina (Neurotica) supports me a heck of a lot. Lately with all the travelling and big things happening in my life and drumming "career" she has been a superb stabalizer for me. She keeps my feet on the ground and my eyes looking forward. She rules.

I've always done the mixing for my own music and for the numerous bands I've played in. It can be a real pain, but its also pretty wild to realize how much of an impact the soundman can have on the sound of the music. I think Karl was right to acknowledge these people. Karl rules.

Everybody here rules.

Drummer Karl 11-06-2006 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djp132
My mom has never held a drum stick in her life, but can explain the moeller technique perfectly to anyone. Just from me talking about it so much and showing her new developments or things I come up with. She's super supportive. She's one of those moms that calls EVERYONE "sweetie" or "hun" or "honey". She rules.

Wow, that is nice...my mom doesn`t support me at all, maybe with money things but she is totally uninteressted in drums AND in my recordings. She listenes to it because I wanted it but after some seconds she goes away with that typical "mh, nice."
mhhh...but okay, sometimes it is too bad but I think I can live with it...hey, and I found many other people who support me so much!

YOU ALL. :-)

Karl

Jay.B. 11-06-2006 03:04 PM

My family support me by letting me still live at home whilst I'm off chasing the smallest of daydreams (I'm *insert number* this year, and I sure as hell wouldn't be able to do what I'm doing now if I'd moved out all those years ago)

The band support me by learning and helping with the technical stuff when we build up and tear down for gigs etc.

I have a friend about an hour away who has his own studio, he comes down and runs the desk for us every now and again.

I also know how difficult it is to record, produce and mix etc. I've learned a lot over the last 10 years about things on the technical side, it can be a very demanding and thankless task, requiring a fine ear for detail and a lot of patience, so hats off to everybody else who does this.

Finally, if it wasn't for my fiance, I wouldn't even be back behind the kit again (not yet anyhow) it was her idea for me to get involved in the band scene again, and for that nudge in the right direction, I will be eternally greatful.

cheryl 11-06-2006 03:16 PM

This is a really nice thread by the way...

My parents have been great in life in general and with my drumming..Im a single Mum,so i have to rely on them alot,not so much now,the kids are getting older,but a couple of years back..Because of them i found the way to balance being a Mum and carrying out my passion/ambition.Other wise the drums would have had to wait..

Also my son's friends think he has a cool Mum..Which is kinda nice..lol..

Guinness 11-06-2006 03:59 PM

Great thread Karl. I have to give a hand out to my dear wife who actually loves the whole band thing more than I do sometimes. She loves coming out to the shows and socializing with everyone and having a few drinks. I have been in a few bands were a lot of guys weren't so lucky. She'll never read this, but I have to say...I love you baby!

Also, our sound guy Cameron who has been with us from the beginning. The guy owns a computer networking business here in town and is also the brother in law of our singer. He is an extremely technical individual with an acute attention to detail. We wouldn't sound as good with out him, that's a fact. He stays with us the whole night always walking around the room making adjustments to the board as needed, balancing things out. The guy has pulled us out of a jam a time or two and seems to enjoy being with us even though he is a very busy man and we can't afford to pay him much. Thank you Cameron. Your efforts do not go unoticed.

This is kind of like going to confessionals. I feel really good right now. :)

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ 11-06-2006 06:40 PM

Karl, I wouldn't let your mom bother ya right now. If music is your real passion (I believe it is) it will be something you continue on with and eventually (probably after you move out lol) she will understand this and possibly open up a little more. When I was your age (omg did I really just say that?) my dad was doing the same thing to me. He was full of back handed comments like, "Your music is great but it will never get you anywhere." I'll always remember that because it's so untrue. Music is my blood. I can't get it out. It gives me enjoyment and an occasional paycheck, not to mention all the cool minds I've been able to work with.

Everyone I know knows how much music means to me. Of course, now my dad seems to enjoy the music I write and record. He's partly responsible for my determination. It's something he should understand well since he left the coorporate world and started his own business from home doing what he loves. There was a time when an opertunity came to me while I was a teen. I submitted a demo to some producers who were scouting in New Orleans. They weren't impressed by my guiitar playing but they really liked my voice (I didn't play drums at that time). They offered to bring me to Nashville to record a demo to shop around LA and New York. My dad turned it down. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I had taken that opertunity. I'll never know and it doesn't matter much.

----

Mixing is definately an art form all its own. There are some engineers who want to just get the live sound of the band. There's nothing wrong with that, and I think it takes a certain discipline to be able to do that. Then there are the others who almost become an extra member of the band with their creative mixing. I've been into recording ever since I started playing music at the age of 14. I started out with portable cassette recorders and then finally bought a portable 4-track cassette machine after graduating highschool. Not long after I got into PC recording when it was still very limiting. Now I have a decent little collection of gear and a room in my house dedicated to it. It's something I'm always building on. I don't think I'll ever have the cash for a top line studio, but I'd be happy just recording little projects and demos for local bands once I get my bigger room built (hopefully).

Drummer Karl 11-07-2006 07:03 PM

Wow! Many great replies!!

So yeah, mixing is hard...but he does his job so well and he also gets response (nice mixing jobs which are cool paid)
and he is not just a cool sound technican, he is also a great guitarist!! overall an amazing man...!! =)

Karl

GRUNTERSDAD 11-07-2006 07:41 PM

My dad died when I was 12, and my mom was busy raising four of us. I really never got any praise, but was left alone to do my thing. She always attended my school concerts when she could, and would always comment on how the band or orchestra sounded or performed, but never me specifically. She died three years ago, and I started playing again in March. So again I am on my own to do whatever I do, and that is play along to my choice of music at the moment, and wish that I had never stopped for those thirty years. Time waits for no man!! This forum has been great in helping me learn things I had never heard of technique wise, and I guess the association with other drummers getting praise has convinced me I am doing the right thing by starting again.

pimp_my_RIDE 11-12-2006 03:15 PM

I never really get support from anyone except the guys(and girls) here at drummerworld.
So I'd like to say thankyou and I think I am speaking for all of when I thank Berhnard The mods, and every member here. I get the feeling that without this place, there would be a lot less drummers in the world.

Rockingfreakapotamus 07-30-2007 12:43 PM

I came across this thread while searching to see if i should post a similar thread, and i noticed that it hasnt had a post in a while, so im going to add to it.

Firstly there is all my friends, the majority of whom are musicians in their own right and are always up for a jam and a listen to any music i happen to be involved in.
They are always up for giving me an honest opinion and giving me new ideas for my music, whichever instrument i choose to write it on.

My current band mates, Ian and Neil, who will always give me creative control over my own instrument and are willing to give me suggestions for improvements. They are in turn willing to listen to any suggestions i may have with an objective opinion. These guys are my main connection to music and from each of them i have learned a lot and have an excellent friendship.

My guitar teacher, Ian McCole, who taught me all i ever need to know about the joys of music.

My family, cause without them i would never be the musician i am today without them. They bought me my first guitar at the age of ten and then first drum kit at the age of fifteen.
They put up with the noise and they were willing to make a considerable financial input to my passion. They show an active interest in everything i do, and suppport me all the way, which i will always be greatfull for

My girlfriend, Joanne, She has been an absolute god send for me. She puts up with my rambling about the latest Zildjian, bass pedal, drum solo - ANYTHING! She also agree's to come drum shopping with me even though it bores her stiff, and is always willing to listen to anything i play or anything im talking about.
She supports my music and at the same time brings me back down to earth and reminds me not to take myself too seriously .

And lastly, you guy from drummerworld, you have all helped my kickstart my passion for drums and are a fantastic resource for young and old drummers alike.

That about covers it, thanks Karl for starting such and awesome thread :D

x

jazzin' 07-31-2007 03:51 PM

My girlfriend and my dear mother have been hugely supportive in my music and, lately especially, my life in general. I basically stopped seeing my family a number of years ago and apart from a few meetings here and there didn't have any contact unfortunately. That all changed not too long ago and in my greatest hour of need my dear mother was there, where she'd always tried to be. Family support is very special, something all too often taken for granted. It doesn't have to be just for music either.

To support and be supported is a wonderful thing. Very sad occurrence for those who have none. Very sad.