DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Billy Martin (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16486)

Davidb59 08-08-2006 04:54 PM

Billy Martin

I searched in vain for a thread on Billy Martin so started one.

What does anyone think.? I just love his drumming with MMW and John Schofield.

KzSgDrummer 08-08-2006 08:34 PM

Re: Billy Martin

He is the king of dirty playing.

I just love how he fluidly switches back and forth between swung and straight 8th notes -- THAT's what makes his grooves so deeelicious, and I emulate that style as much as I can while still being versatile enough for most music (read - still be able to play straight like a machine).

He's almost like the Bonham of the funk/jazz/jam band world, if I may make such a bold statement.

Ruok 08-09-2006 12:28 AM

One of the most inspiring interviews I've ever read was Modern Drummer's interview with Martin back a few years ago. Martin was saying how effective playing very quietly can be and how music can still be very intense without necessarily needing a lot of volume. Many musicians already know this, but it was refreshing to hear someone say it, especially a drummer.

Plus, I love the fact that he was playing a beat up old "budget kit." Here' s a guy who realizes that it isn't necessary to pay a fortune on the "best drums" out there, if you can find your own great sound on a low line kit.

Davidb59 08-09-2006 10:02 AM

I'm really surprised that there isn't more interest in him on this forum

SqueakySpeedKing 08-14-2006 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidb59

Well, he's is not appealing to the majority. Like most so-called jazz musicians. People like lowest common denominators, flashy, sweet sounding drums, and things that are easily digestable. One has to seek out players like Billy Martin and be open to that sort of thing. It won't come to you and that's too much trouble for some folks. My $ 0.02....

incubotic 08-14-2006 04:36 PM

He is one of my favorite drummers. I love how creative and musical he is. He's got some amazing original grooves. I can't wait for the new MMW + Scofield album to come out this fall. Supposedly Billy does the "Funkiest drum roll ever recorded. If you hate the entire album, you will still love this drum roll." That has me very intrigued. I am also suprised this thread has only recently been made, along with the low number of posts in it.

DogBreath 08-15-2006 07:06 AM

Quote:

I'm really surprised that you didn't have more to say yourself, considering that you started the thread. All you have to say is "I just love his drumming"?

DrummerBen1 08-15-2006 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogBreath
I'm really surprised that you didn't have more to say yourself, considering that you started the thread. All you have to say is "I just love his drumming"?

He probably didn't feel like rambling maybe.

skippy 08-15-2006 07:52 AM

i love his drumming. i own 3 mmw cds and one of them has a dvd with it that has a drum solo and durring it he turnes to the side and he has this table set up that has a bunch of pieces of metal and what appear to be super small gongs and other random things and he goes off and its realy rad. everyone should definatly cheack out medeski martin and wood. super rad band.

gretsch223 08-29-2006 08:35 PM

I just bought the Medeski, Scofield, Martin and Wood album and it is soooooooo gooooood!!!!

Billy Martin is a great drummer.

The album is called "Out Louder".

harryconway 08-29-2006 09:36 PM

Quote:

It's just the fate he's chosen. MMW always would sell in the shop "out of the player" if we were spinning it, but it's not like it sells in the numbers that Slipknot/Blink/etc. do. And being a vintage kit player, he has no company pushing his face in magazines like A.P./Revolver/etc. Most cats have never even heard of a Rogers Tower kit. But Billy has got a very unique style (as does MMW) and a drummer worth givin' a listen to.

Chomp_Chomp 04-02-2007 01:16 PM

Which MMW album came with a dvd of their music live? I've never seen them live before and I feel that is where the magic happens. I love Billy Martin's touch, and dirty raw groove.

tweedy 04-03-2007 04:34 PM

That would be:

Note Bleu: Best of the Blue Note Years 1998-2005 (CD + DVD)

MMW DVD & CD

cool vid

tom

skippy 07-28-2007 11:48 AM

ive been looking around for some pictures and maybe a diagram of his kit. ive googled and searched yahoo for it but mostly the guitar player from good charolette comes up. modern drummer did a cover story on him once if im not mistaken but i cant find it in the archives on thier site. this man is almost invisible. ive got all the mmw records and i got the msmw out louder record also. i cant wait to get the record of him and john medeski. also ive heard hes worked with iggy pop...if anyone has or knows where to get any of these things besides the mmw site, please let me know. that also includes his work with iggy. thanks. peace.

kacperivo 07-28-2007 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skippy (Post 341348)
ive been looking around for some pictures and maybe a diagram of his kit. ive googled and searched yahoo for it but mostly the guitar player from good charolette comes up. modern drummer did a cover story on him once if im not mistaken but i cant find it in the archives on thier site. this man is almost invisible. ive got all the mmw records and i got the msmw out louder record also. i cant wait to get the record of him and john medeski. also ive heard hes worked with iggy pop...if anyone has or knows where to get any of these things besides the mmw site, please let me know. that also includes his work with iggy. thanks. peace.

if it comes to iggy, as far as i know, he recorded a tune with MMW called "i felt the luxury" or something like that (album - avenue b). great record by the way.

and his kit? he uses a vintage rogers usually, but here's a photo of their performance in Warsaw a year ago. i believe it was a good ole ludwig.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1.../martinkit.jpg

skippy 07-28-2007 04:36 PM

wow perfect man. thats one hell of a finish too. would you happen to have a picture including all his other "stuff"? the various percussion items and whatnot?

kacperivo 07-28-2007 05:10 PM

here's this photo. not perfect, but none of the photos i have from that gig show this stuff better :)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...artinstuff.jpg

let's say it clearly, he's got absolutely EVERYTHING there :P

oh, and by the way, check out Billy's gallery http://www.amuletrecords.com/gallery/illybgallery.htm . yea, he's not only a drummer, but a really cool painter! :)

skippy 07-28-2007 09:06 PM

wow man thanks thats a great picture. heres a video i found i thought id show you guys. billy is an amazing drummer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoJRlok3Ezk

Davidb59 07-30-2007 02:57 PM

GREAT VIDEO - THANKS FOR THAT!

Les Ismore 08-02-2007 11:04 AM

If you didn't know, Billy sounds a lot like his mentor Bob Moses, only not as tight. To hear where Billy 'got it' from, check out some Moses stuff. Moses is the 'man' for jazzy ethnic stylin' and a true soloist in the sense of the groove.

Moses sat in on my kit once, the first time I heard him interact with a band live. Every hit was solid and had meaning, a consummate pro. A virtual unknown american legend, Moses is responsible for billy's foundation, he's worth checking out.

Ruok 08-05-2007 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skippy (Post 341348)
modern drummer did a cover story on him once if im not mistaken but i cant find it in the archives on thier site.

The MD magazine with Martin on the cover was the APRIL 2001 edition.

pirate 11-14-2009 09:18 PM

Billy is a fav of mine too. He is awesome and has one super groove...

percussivelibrarian 11-27-2009 10:45 PM

Another Billy Martin fan here; he ranks pretty high on my list of favorite/most influential drummers. Great feel, lots of imagination, and tons of fun to watch live.