DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dennis Chambers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149)

LiquidSoul546 07-03-2005 06:40 PM

Dennis Chambers

Just thought I'd bring out the Funkmaster, because I am goin to go see him tonight with Santana.

DogBreath 07-03-2005 06:49 PM

Re: Dennis Chambers

Your mission: a very detailed review of the show. And think of us poor slobs who have to work on weekends while you are out having fun.

=-)

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers..._Chambers.html

LiquidSoul546 07-03-2005 06:56 PM

haha, will do. I think it will be nothing but good stuff.

Bernhard 07-03-2005 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DogBreath
And think of us poor slobs who have to work on weekends while you are out having fun.

Yes!!! ....and don't bash Ringo (had to lengthen up, Dog......)

DogBreath 07-04-2005 08:05 PM

I'm amazed by how perfectly tuned and melodic his toms are in this video, almost like timpani. I started retuning my toms a few days ago and I'm still not satisfied with the sound. Now I have a new goal: if I can't play like Dennis Chambers, at least I can try to tune my toms so sweet.

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/d...ersstudio.html

LiquidSoul546 07-04-2005 09:45 PM

Wow. What a show, Los Lonley Boys blew me away. Ringo Garza is really solid, i love that. The only thing i wasn't likein, (me just bein a lil' technical), his over-use of the crashes, in took away from his grooves. Overall A performance, and I would gladly see them again.
Now to D.C. The beginning of Santana's set was a lil off for me. Although everyone was on que, the sound at the ampitheatre was a bit off. I couldn't hear the drums from D.C., but could clearly hear the latin percussionist, sorry forgot his name, but it steadily got better until it reached the climax for my experience there. THE DRUM SOLO. Dennis is the man. haha. His single foot technique, and use of the highats was perfect. His timing, perfect, the sound of his drums, PERFECT. He got the crowd movin let me tell you haha.
I'm sorry i cant tell you what song they open'd up with, but they did play a lot of classics, and dennis's performance A+! I loved it, and was really wanting to meet him after the show, but none of my friends wanted to wait and see if they would come out so we left, plus it was late so i didn't get home till bout 2 a.m.
Peace out

ps. Does anyone know if Dennis Chambers puts anything in his bass drum, cause it was booooooooomy. (i couldn't see, seeing as i was looking at his drums from the right side the whole time).
Thanks

Tyrnox 07-04-2005 10:51 PM

I too went to see that show at the Bell center, and it was nothing short of amazing, I too liked the Los Lonely boys, alot of talent in that band.

I hadn't seen much of chamber's before I saw him live that night, but after the show, I was just amazed. Simple as that.

L1VEW1RE1 07-05-2005 01:38 AM

I saw Dennis play a drum clinic near my house, and that man is amazing. He played about a 30minute drum solos, and every was just in awe.

LiquidSoul546 07-05-2005 07:16 AM

I was in awe of his solo at the concert, i also have to give major props to their bass players solo\, and i forgot, him and D.C had a lil' drum bass section, that was pretty groovin.

P.S DogBreath, just lettin you know his drums sounded perfect. it looked like he added stuff too, like a bass drum over his first two floor toms. he used it a lot and it had a coated head, sounded pretty sweet.
Peace

Big_Drummer 07-08-2005 07:34 PM

i dont agree with dog breath i dont like his tom tuning, but i think his a great technical drummer and one of the drummers that more rudiments use in his playing. its a great great drummer and one of my favorites

Freddie Freeloader 07-08-2005 08:02 PM

this guy sort of makes everyone look up and pay attention. and i mean EVERYONE. he's easily one of the best drummers of all time.

Superlow 07-08-2005 08:08 PM

I agree with you Freddie, I saw him with Mike Stern a few years back... Lets just say most of the crowd was not there for Mike Stern. I don't think I picked up the sticks for a good week after seeing him. I was bummed out that I would never be a fraction of a percent as good as Dennis.

CarterB_Junkie 07-08-2005 11:57 PM

Dennis is just a beast, a completely self taught player who doesn't read music and do everything by ear !

I saw him with Santana and his 10 minutes solo spot got the biggest crowd reaction of the evening (more than the Santana radio hits ).

There is only one Dennis !

Jason Dorn 07-09-2005 01:25 AM

Yeah his pocket is really deep such a funky mofo. I really love the way he makes everything he plays seem so effortless. He has inspired me to strive to lay back in the pocket in my playing. Two things that have made there way into my style because of him are that hat bass bass triplet he is the master of that IMO and that fireworks double bass flurry with the syncopated crashes over the top. I just love this guys playing.

Dr Drums 07-12-2005 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidSoul546
and was really wanting to meet him after the show, but none of my friends wanted to wait and see if they would come out so we left, plus it was late so i didn't get home till bout 2 a.m.
Peace out

DUDE! u had a chance 2 meet chambers and u just walked 'cuz of some friend!?
omg. I'd stay there till 5a.m and would've walk home if that's what it takes. :\ whatever
As for chambers. Man he is pure perfection when it comes 2 drumming. He's my fav drummer of all time no doubt about.

Bonham to the moon 07-12-2005 02:45 AM

hes go the fastest hands i think ever, he plays the double bass as it should be, and does an exceptional job at it, and has the some of the greatest grooves ever. Truely a drum god. And the amazing thing is, he was totally and absolutely self taught, by watching drummers in night clubs.

Anchein Vouivra 07-12-2005 03:02 AM

I just saw him once doing a workshop at the Montreux Jazz Festival last year. He did a 25 minute solo, but honestly it didn't really touched me except that he did a five minute sick thing : accelarating with the double pedal and slowing with the snareroll, and vice-versa (kinda John Hiseman trick). But he didn't really play a cool groove, and I lost a bit the rythm feel in his technical solo. I got more kicked watching Calhoun's workshop this year.
But that was only an hour workshop, you can't know everything about a drummer in one hour.

The same night I watched him a while with Santana and his groove was perfect, but couldn't stay long cuz I really don't stand what Santana's doing actually. I could see Chambers solo which was short, and more a show thing than a real solo. He did his double-pedal/snare acceleration/slowdown thing while drinking a bottle of Tequila mixed with orange juice. Fun and impressive, but couldn't see more because Santana's music.

LiquidSoul546 07-12-2005 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Drums
DUDE! u had a chance 2 meet chambers and u just walked 'cuz of some friend!?
omg. I'd stay there till 5a.m and would've walk home if that's what it takes. :\ whatever
As for chambers. Man he is pure perfection when it comes 2 drumming. He's my fav drummer of all time no doubt about.

haha, the reason i left is because my friend was my ride home...so i geuss being stranded in milwaukee for the night to MAYBE meet dennis chambers sounds like a deal right now, but then was about midnight and i already saw the greatest drum solo i've ever seen so...
peace

Dr Drums 07-12-2005 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidSoul546
haha, the reason i left is because my friend was my ride home...so i geuss being stranded in milwaukee for the night to MAYBE meet dennis chambers sounds like a deal right now, but then was about midnight and i already saw the greatest drum solo i've ever seen so...
peace

hhh, when u put it that way :)

Stu_Strib 07-13-2005 12:05 AM

No offense to Ringo Garza, but there are a few other drummers here in his hometown of San Angelo, TX that would like to think he wasn't even the 5th best drummer in town when Los Lonely Boys hit it big.

I'm not gonna name names though. One of them rhymes with Moo_Crib. ;-)

LLB are really good though, even if individually they aren't the best. As a group, they really shine and feed off each other.

Drumolator 07-18-2005 11:58 PM

Dennis Chambers is indeed one of the greats. I have many CDs which feature his great playing. Peace.

Wegadrummer 07-19-2005 12:04 AM

there is only one dennis... no more to say.. love his grooves..

darkcherryfade 07-19-2005 01:45 AM

No drummer moves me like Dennis does. His GROOOOOOOOVES, chops, RIDICULOUS limb independence, dynamics, solos. The man has everything. Oh, to hell with it, I might as well just declare him my official favorite.

drumzalicious 07-19-2005 01:50 AM

i like dennis for his grooves, im not too moved by his chops. thats just me though.

Dr Drums 07-19-2005 02:10 AM

Chambers is IT. PERIOD.

Dennis1465D_5314D.C. 07-19-2005 01:12 PM

Dennis Chambers is my everything...He is my man!..Also he is my hero!..I'm huge fan of him..I have 122 audio CDs which have Dennis on drums..(all of them)..I have his DCI instructional videos on VHS format and also DVD formats..And of course,a lot of other VHSs and DVDs which includes Dennis on drums..Like common ground,a salute to buddy rich,buddy rich memorial scholarship concert tape one,the bob berg/mike stern group,funky drummers,blood sweat beers tokyo live(niacin)(A LOT OF!).....He is my INFLUENCE and always INSPIRES me..I love his playing much,much,much more..I like him a lot (more,more,more!) as I can't tell ANYONE...I love his touching to the drumkit..He has unique sound,unbelievable sound,very delicious sound...I love his all the energy,all the plan,all the movement behind the drum setup..Incredible power,technique,timing,control,speed...Fast single stroke rolls,ostinato patterns with his feet,triplet things,cross stickings from the cymballs,killer grooves,unbelivable jazz&funk&fusion grooves,greatest chops and EXTRAORDINARY drum solos...He plays FATAL! & his sound is FATAL!..My opinion is there is no one in the earth that who can play like Dennis or who has a sound like him..He is ONLY ONE and UNIQUE!! I was the first person that who gets in the concert hall when he was with Mike Stern Band in here..I was the most near person to his drum set up in the gig.I went to gig place with all of my archive; all of my audio CDs and all of my videos..That's why I'm a huge fan of him..Thank you very much Dennis Chambers for greatest moments behind the drums...

Alesi 07-19-2005 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Drums
Chambers is IT. PERIOD.

you´ve said it!!!... he grooves in that way that i don´t really care about his solos or anything else.. i mean.. with his groove only he would be a kick ass drummer!!!

samuelsonmosley 07-19-2005 04:32 PM

Dennis is a god ,his drumming is incredible but to me the most important thing is to find the right union between tecnique and music

marco 07-22-2005 11:53 PM

hey dogbreath, good luck for the tom tuning.... I've tried to get that sweet tone i don't know how many times and it is just impossible until you are miked...because effects can make all the difference ;)

Dennis is one of my idol ...he's just incredible... I saw him with mike stern 2 years ago and the show was just totally amazing... it is at that moment that i've decided to split my practice time in two equal parts ( half drum half guitar ).......... no regrets....n.e.way guitar help me for drum and drum for guitar

Bad Drummer 09-12-2005 02:36 AM

My drum teacher said that hands down he is the best drummer alive today. Thoughts?

darkcherryfade 09-20-2005 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Drummer
My drum teacher said that hands down he is the best drummer alive today. Thoughts?

Although I'm not big on these kinds of statements, Dennis is the closest I'd come to making an exception.

DogBreath 09-20-2005 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marco
hey dogbreath, good luck for the tom tuning.... I've tried to get that sweet tone i don't know how many times and it is just impossible until you are miked...because effects can make all the difference ;)

Oh, I know. It's just something to try for when I'm tuning.

Thinshells 09-20-2005 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogBreath
Oh, I know. It's just something to try for when I'm tuning.

That sound would seem to be pretty easy to achieve with birch or oak. I'd do it with clear g1's on top and glass resos on bottom. The drums would be tight and even. I am not sure what he does on maple to get that sound.

His work with the Buddy Rich memorial concert and his DCI videos is just jaw dropping. He lays down blistering grooves, intricate double kick work fortified with lightning hand speed.

I think his new kit is supposed to be one of those granite finish reference kits, which I look forward to hearing/seeing him play.

http://www.pearldrum.com/reference/granite-srpkl.jpg

UltimateDrummer55555 11-03-2005 01:56 AM

Dennis Chambers. In my opinion the greatest drummer ever. I have seen many of his videos of solos, music, etc. His hands are the fastest i've ever seen. He's my idol. His grooves are awesome to hear. He's got very strong and lightning fast feet. He does one footed rolls on the bass drum with his left foot play on 1234 or not at all to keep time while he does it. He's had so much experience playing jazz, fusion, funk, rock, etc.
I have learned so much from him and hope to be wicked good like him and possible surpass him if possible.

lfdy 12-15-2005 10:07 PM

Dennis Chambers is pure genious...he's definitely one of the best drummers at the moment.

Zumba_Zumba 02-03-2006 12:03 AM

Did anyone check out his video clips on his website? If not, do yourself a favor. His speed is unbelievable. In one part when he goes, "AAAHHHH!" after a funky grouping, I felt this pain.....

fLaT-fIfTh 05-21-2006 12:46 AM

Does anyone know of an email address to contact Dennis? Thanks!

jonny 05-21-2006 08:37 PM

dc35@aol.com is an email address provided in the CAB cd booklets, so I guess it's worth a shot.

On a side note, if any Dennis fans don't have the CAB cds, buy them.

toteman2 06-06-2006 08:31 AM

Damn...DC makes this makes everything look so carefree and easy. He's just so relaxed. What I'd give to be inside his head durring this tune. One of my favorite drumming clips ever.

I'm convinced to be this good, you have to be born with something a little extra. He has such command over time and feel. It's truely amazing. No matter what style you prefer this man will always be known as one of the absolute greats. So much to admire and learn from.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WH-W2KMlY...nis%20chambers

mikejames 07-23-2006 04:30 AM

I only have one thing to say to Dennis...

Don't stop!

I've just seen the Mike Stern 2005/Paris videos posted today... Damn! Outstanding work.