DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drums (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Lubed Bearing Edge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140847)

MasterBlaster 03-08-2018 02:58 PM

Lubed Bearing Edge
Would bar soap on the bearing edge help or hurt the seating and tuning of a new head?

MasterBlaster 03-09-2018 02:07 AM

Over 100 views and not one response?

Alrighty then...

IDDrummer 03-09-2018 02:22 AM

Re: Lubed Bearing Edge
I would have responded, but the answer would just be, I don't know. lol

MasterBlaster 03-09-2018 02:27 AM

Interesting. Seriously, I don't think it would harm anything... I'm just curious if anyone ever heard of such a thing before.

OldReliable 03-09-2018 03:07 AM

Iím in the same boat as IDDrummer; I honestly have no clue what it would do. I do know that in the Ď60s, Hal Blaineís drumtech Rick Faucher used to put saddle soap on his calfskin heads. Iím guessing the soap would make the heads feel a little softer. That was with calf though, so I think it would just make Mylar heads soapy with no benefit.

MasterBlaster 03-09-2018 03:13 AM

I won't be putting it on the head, just a light application to the bearing edge.

toddbishop 03-09-2018 03:13 AM

Sorry man, I got to this as soon as I could. You can do that. Some people use paraffin-- like you get at the grocery store for canning. I would use that over soap.

MasterBlaster 03-09-2018 03:15 AM

That sounds even better!

hippy chip 03-09-2018 03:21 AM

Are you having a problem with tuning? I can see using soap on the tension rods so they turn smoothly, but bearing edges? Sounds like a bad idea to me.

SYMBOLIC DEATH 03-09-2018 03:33 AM

I put parrifin wax on my edges to help the had slide over the bearing edge. I think soap is a bad idea because it would ruin the woody smell of the drum. You dont want to take a head off and be knocked over by Irish spring.

wildbill 03-09-2018 04:02 AM

I use this on my edges: http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...-finishing-wax
Apply and buff by hand.

Not sure if it does anything for seating or tuning.
Probably the main benefit is that it's one of the things I do that makes me feel like I'm taking care of my drums.

I wouldn't use bar soap.

MasterBlaster 03-09-2018 04:04 AM

It's Official!
I'm not gonna use soap.

gconyers 03-09-2018 06:50 PM

Re: It's Official!
On a side note, I see that you're fluent in Irish.

motleyh 03-09-2018 06:56 PM

Soap is probably too soft to really have a long-term value -- at some point it can get gummy with dust and actually make things worse.

You don't really want a lubricant on edges -- what you really need is to create a very hard, very smooth surface. So paraffin can help, but the ideal would be a hard wax like beeswax or carnauba, polished up to be very smooth.

Woolwich 03-10-2018 12:13 AM

I've never done it but I'd heard that running a bar of beeswax around the bearing edge has an effect. And to me beeswax sounds like the kind of thing that you could use on wood without qualms.

MasterBlaster 03-10-2018 06:03 AM

I was thinking beeswax, too. It's great stuff!

KamaK 03-10-2018 06:24 AM

I was under the impression that wax is something that you would use for rough or round-over bearing edges to allow the head to tune easily against the high friction. That it was a relic from the era when bearing edges were hit or miss and you had actual calfskin rubbing against the peak and a lamp inside the drum to keep them warm.

I don't think that it's necessary on modern kits these days, and if you do find it necessary, a re-cut of your bearing edges might a better investment than rubbing bar of soap on them.

And why not just use a candle like everyone else?

mike d 03-11-2018 05:27 AM

There is a product specifically for that (maybe others too). This one does claim to have some advantages over non-drum solutions.
DrumDial Bearing Edge Conditioner.

RVN 03-18-2018 05:57 AM

It seems to me that "lubing" the bearing edges would attract dust and build up dirt to an area that was supposed to be to be clean and dry.