DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Billy Ward here! (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1276)

billy ward 08-09-2005 12:11 AM

Billy Ward here!

Hey Bernhard - I've finally joined up! :D Nice joint you've got here!
Kind of makes my little forum feel so small... (but we like it that way)

Just wanted to say hello - I'll be checking in (probably pretty regularly) to see what's going on. Until next time...
Billy W

Billy Ward page on DrummerWorld

NUTHA JASON 08-09-2005 12:18 AM

Re: I'm here! -

this billy ward?

http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/dru...ywardfrank.jpg

seriously? cool... another pro is amongst us. welcome then billy.

j

drummerboy 08-09-2005 12:23 AM

Hi Billy...welcome to the forum....

finnhiggins 08-09-2005 12:23 AM

Phenomenal!

Billy, I'm a huge fan of your approach. I'm currently trying to wrangle a copy of your DVD in exchange for services to a drum magazine here in New Zealand, so hopefully that will pan out and I'll get to have a better look what what you've done there other than the short clips here on Drummerworld.

Thanks heaps for all the excellent articles and performances you've dished out over the years, and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next...

Dr Drums 08-09-2005 01:09 AM

This is real cool :)

Hi billy, just wanted 2 say ur a genius..

Bernhard 08-09-2005 01:25 AM

Yes that's Billy! Thanks for joining - as promised.

Billy runs a great forum at his website billyward.com. There are great posts and sometimes deep discussions - and Billy is of course posting there regularly.

I met Billy in Frankfurt and we also discussed the way to make a good forum. He gave me good advise - for web and for drumming.

His DVD helped me a lot - to get rid of nervousity in studio-situations - more than all other DVD's!!!!

We will meet this autumn in Germany I suppose.

Billy is such a nice guy - no idea how he finds time for playing, giving lessons and also running a forum. They don't come nicer....

Bernhard

jamsjr44 08-09-2005 01:29 AM

Billy glad to have you aboard!..I really like your playing very creative.

Jaymasta 08-09-2005 01:33 AM

aw man that's so cool billy I'm a big fan maybe you can teach us some stuff and help us out with some stuff :-)

darkcherryfade 08-09-2005 01:57 AM

The forum just got 10000 times better. Welcome, Billy!

billy ward 08-09-2005 02:36 AM

Well, jeez, I'm just one out of our family of drummers. Thanks for such a great welcome!
Bernhard - I hope you know how much fun it was to meet you at Musikmesse- and inspiring as well (esp. to hear about your drum kit and it's date of manufacture). And yes - I think i will see you again next year - plus hopefully do some clinics in Europe!

I purposely spend time on the internet - not only with my site but visiting all the other drummer sites.

I remember going to Yugoslavia in '86 (when it WAS Yugoslavia) and playing at a music festival with saxaphonist Bill Evans SuperGroup. I moved to LA and Dennis replaced me... bummer :(
(he IS pretty good though, huh? :D)

Some of the drummers there had never even seen a picture of Buddy Rich - let alone heard many drummers in person! Yet they were asking me about Buddy and others...
I remember giving all my sticks and extras away to drummers who were playing taped together stickes that I would've thrown out ages ago. My point is - the internet has provided us all with information and the world is changing. Sometimes I am afraid of where we are going in our wacky world - but I KNOW I can always count on ourselves, (us drummers) to get along and grow together. I think it's up to us how we use the internet - but it is a potentially wonderful thing! Bernhard has given us the biggest and best and fastest conduit around! Thanks Mr. B!

So here we go!... Let's share more info. I am happy to give my 2 cents-answer to any question. Feel free to dish away. If I have strayed away - come over to my site and reel me in! You know, answering questions (or teaching) only firms up one's self-beliefs! So I gain from this as well. And with that - I'll say - THANKS!

aahznightsky 08-09-2005 02:44 AM

hey billy its great to have you on the forum! There's lots of great discussions going on in technique and gear and all the forums here really ... There's probably even one about you to check out! :D hehe.

I'm a dw drummer like yourself, and there's some pics of my kit under the YOUR PLACE section, i think you'd find the configuration really interesting. You can check out a lot of people's kits there its lots of fun. You could post pics of your own kit there, everyone would go crazy! I would love it!

great to see you on the site!

drumzalicious 08-09-2005 02:46 AM

wow this is pretty cool. a pro drummer on our site.

nice.

insane drummer 08-09-2005 02:52 AM

Welcome, welcome. Great to see ya, should be fun having another pro around here (we have others on here right?).

This is a little funny though. I was just about to ask a gear question on here about your kit. I see your double bass pedal is on the outside of the hat, do you use a 2 legged stand, or what 3 legged stand? I cannot seem to get mine set up that way without putting both the pedal and stand into odd places.

drummerboy 08-09-2005 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy ward
Well, jeez, I'm just one out of our family of drummers. Thanks for such a great welcome!
Bernhard - I hope you know how much fun it was to meet you at Musikmesse- and inspiring as well (esp. to hear about your drum kit and it's date of manufacture). And yes - I think i will see you again next year - plus hopefully do some clinics in Europe!

I purposely spend time on the internet - not only with my site but visiting all the other drummer sites.

I remember going to Yugoslavia in '86 (when it WAS Yugoslavia) and playing at a music festival with saxaphonist Bill Evans SuperGroup. I moved to LA and Dennis replaced me... bummer :(
(he IS pretty good though, huh? :D)

Some of the drummers there had never even seen a picture of Buddy Rich - let alone heard many drummers in person! Yet they were asking me about Buddy and others...
I remember giving all my sticks and extras away to drummers who were playing taped together stickes that I would've thrown out ages ago. My point is - the internet has provided us all with information and the world is changing. Sometimes I am afraid of where we are going in our wacky world - but I KNOW I can always count on ourselves, (us drummers) to get along and grow together. I think it's up to us how we use the internet - but it is a potentially wonderful thing! Bernhard has given us the biggest and best and fastest conduit around! Thanks Mr. B!

So here we go!... Let's share more info. I am happy to give my 2 cents-answer to any question. Feel free to dish away. If I have strayed away - come over to my site and reel me in! You know, answering questions (or teaching) only firms up one's self-beliefs! So I gain from this as well. And with that - I'll say - THANKS!

Billy would you mind looking at my webiste while your looking at drumming sites?....It's www.tylerhough.com ..... this is so cool to be able to chat with you...thanks to Bernard and his awesome forum!....Thanks Bernard!

Sticksman 08-09-2005 03:29 AM

Wow, Billy Ward himself on drummerworld. I like it!

I've always been a fan of your playing and approach, and I love your work with Joan Osbourne. Really solid playing!

I've been thinking of buying your Big Time DVD, and I think this is a sign that I should! Keep up all the fantastic drumming man, cause we're watching! ;)

Edit: the clips on DW of you are pretty good, though you've probably already checked them out!

jamndrummer 08-09-2005 04:12 AM

Welcome Billy Ward,

You have inspired many drummers on this forum. I am sure so much knowledge will be passed from you to us and from us to you as well..

I would like to give a round of applause to all the drummers on this site for not only welcoming newcomers but also because many of you referred to this is OUR site. It is true that all the people make up the site and lets not forget that as we post and reply to this forum keeping it the best on the market and to make Bernard proud. As he is the forerunner of the forum.

Thank you Bernard and I hope you are richly blessed by your hard work.

illy 08-09-2005 04:17 AM

wow. welcome mr. billy ward!

billy ward 08-09-2005 04:31 AM

yeah - Bernhard is the MAN. Insane - I prefer three legged stands because with wacky platforms a two legged stand is still wobbly sometimes. With DW - you can twist them so it works with the second pedal.
later cats -
thanks!

Anduin 08-09-2005 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy ward
My point is - the internet has provided us all with information and the world is changing. ... I KNOW I can always count on ourselves, (us drummers) to get along and grow together. I think it's up to us how we use the internet - but it is a potentially wonderful thing!

Yeah, 15 years ago pretty much all we had was books and maybe a few drummer friends and acquaintances. Now, with so many talented people on the 'net, I'm floored by how much we can learn off each other so easily (duh, stating the obvious).

One of the highlights of the web experience, for me anyway, is places like this (big thumbs up to Bernhard). Where else could focused interest groups like us drummers get together so easily and so often? Hanging with like-minded peeps just makes drumming even better. I learn stuff on here by osmosis without even trying!

Colin 08-09-2005 06:47 AM

Hey Billy! Nice of you to stop in! it's not often a seasoned pro will stop by unexpectedley! You're a fantastic drummeró cheers!

somedrummer 08-09-2005 07:23 AM

Welcome...

Im not gonna lie, I don't know much of what you've done. However, being able to ask questions of someone who has been featured in MD is a great priviledge.

Perhaps you could inform me of your work.. or maybe I'll just check out your site.

Again, Welcome,

ROb

Bernhard 08-09-2005 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somedrummer
Welcome...

Perhaps you could inform me of your work.. or maybe I'll just check out your site.

ROb

Yes, check out his side and forum:

http://p205.ezboard.com/bbillyward

Check out his site on Drummerworld - with helpful Videos:

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Billy_Ward.html

see also the thread about the placement of the DoubleBass Pedal outside the Hi-Hat:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ght=BILLY+WARD

Bernhard

Freddie Freeloader 08-09-2005 10:20 AM

Re: I'm here! - Billy Ward

Welcome Billy!
wow this is awesome! yet another pro on these forums.
i don't know what to say, except that i really enjoy listening to you playing.
hope to see you post here often.

illy 08-09-2005 10:26 AM

dang, what made you opt for such small hi-hats? those things are PUNY.

dimosthenis 08-09-2005 10:51 AM

Welcome Billy!

I read your articles on MD. Your style of writing is very nice (easy, fluent and humorous) and the info on the articles themselves has come in very useful many a times. Most inspiring!

Glad to have you here and I'm quite stoked myself to be here.

Dimosthenis

glynes 08-09-2005 02:23 PM

Billy????
Fancy running into you here!!!!
8-)
Welcome!!!!
You'll dig this place ... and we'll definitely benefit from your participation.
speaking for myself, aside from the technical and business stuff I've learned from you, your sprit and enthusiasm continues to keep me excited about being a drummer!!

devilfish 08-09-2005 03:45 PM

Welcome Billy! It's great to see those that we discuss often participate on the forum.

Cheers!

japalm 08-09-2005 05:15 PM

Billy, greetings from Cincinnati. I admire your work and I always look forward to your articles in MD. I'll have a cheese coney in honor of your presence here on DW. ;)

Dr. Neaux 08-09-2005 06:23 PM

Howdy from Texas Billy!!

Good to have you with us. I have your Big Time DVD and I love it! Great stuff and your approach to playing drums is just fantastic. I love the newspaper exercise you put those guys through, that was great!

If anyone has not seen this DVD, go get it! Hope to see more from you in the future.

NUTHA JASON 08-09-2005 06:31 PM

if you got the DVD then give us a review here:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976

thanks.
j

ps: after what bernhard just wrote i have ordered it off amazon.com

Bernhard 08-09-2005 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
ps: after what bernhard just wrote i have ordered it off amazon.com

Well Nutha - so it is: in my age, watchin all these Drummer-DVD's make me nervous, show me that I can nothing do well - should go practicing and and and....

...after watching something in the Billy Ward DVD i just feel great - everytime!!!! It's a happy DVD for me and give me motivation - even on my level.

Bernhard

NUTHA JASON 08-09-2005 06:42 PM

i feel the same way. you must have seen the thomas lang DVD. i feel like a tortoise when i see that.

for me the inspiration DVD is my LED Zeppelin DVD. disk two the knebworth show. the last footage of John Bonham and he is absolutely rockin'. when i watch that i am ready to drum.

j

Dill X 08-09-2005 06:55 PM

Welcome Mr. Billy Ward!

You kick ass at the drums. I wish I could sound like you do.

Keep up the good work. It's good to have you hear.

Dr. Neaux 08-09-2005 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
i feel the same way. you must have seen the thomas lang DVD. i feel like a tortoise when i see that.

for me the inspiration DVD is my LED Zeppelin DVD. disk two the knebworth show. the last footage of John Bonham and he is absolutely rockin'. when i watch that i am ready to drum.

j

Man, Thomas Lang ain't right!! I felt the same way you did after seeing some of that video. His drumming is pretty phenominal though. And as for Bonzo, I've seen some of the Zep DVD. My dad has it and played Moby Dick, which I believe is the same clip here on drummerworld, for me one day. The sound he had on his drums was so HUGE! Bonham was incredible. I haven't seen the Knebworth show though. I'm sure it's great.

Bernhard 08-09-2005 07:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well this is a coincidence, that you're speaking about Billy and Thomas.

Just had the chance to meet them both ....same place - same time - nice and gentle guys and drum giants.

Yes it's true for me, that I can't and don't want learn the Thomas Lang stuff, but that will not mean, that young drummers should not know, what is possible..if you practice enough also.

But Billy is heavy grooving, demonstrated at the DW-Boot (not DrummerWorld sorry - DrumWorkshop) from scratch grooves from Ringo, Bernard Purdie and some more. His technique is more subtle and hidden, but believe me: phantastic Hi-Hat work, ghost notes...doublepedal syncopations, awesome fills --- just everything, and always grooving.

just if you wonder: in the picture is also Rob Wallis (Hudson Music)

Anduin 08-09-2005 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernhard
Well this is a coincidence, that you're speaking about Billy and Thomas.

Just had the chance to meet them both ....

Man, whatver you're doing, you're doing it right!

Damon Dapper 08-10-2005 02:58 AM

Love your science behind the hi-hats and your organic approach to percussion.........

You have a beautiful percussional Spirit.

Keep your shine, man!

Dap.

billy ward 08-10-2005 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anduin
Man, whatver you're doing, you're doing it right!

Bernhard is AT LEAST as "big" as anyone, thanks to his constant nurturing of this amazing website! He's the GREAND MASTER OF CEREMONIES!!! :D

And thanks to you folks! From all over the world, I'd guess. Feel free to visit my place. I recently eliminated the "snazzy home page" of my website because I felt it looked too vain - so when you go to billyward.com, you go straight to our small forum. We have around 2000 visitors each day and less than 500 members (quite small) but I'm proud of the quality of membership and posts that we encounter there. So if you are looking for a small "clubhouse" to hang out - maybe check us out there.
Feel free to ask away about anything. I'll check in to Drummerworld frequently.
gotta go now-
thanks agian
BW

largo61 08-11-2005 04:51 AM

Great drummer among us. But I would like to ask a question. What kind of hi-hat do you use? I think it is a 12''. Is it a mini hat or can I get a 14'' version? I love that clip of instructional video. It really helped me doing roles up and down the toms. And I discovered a problem in my technique while learning this. I am a lefty. But I do roles leading with my right hand. It complicates things a little.

Rudy McRudster 08-11-2005 05:32 AM

Wow, Billy Ward, nice. Big fan, I've learned a lot from "Big Time", a great dvd.
Glad to see another pro here on the boards, gives us all a nice glimpse into a musician's personality and life.