DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Vinnie Paul (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12524)

Joss 05-18-2006 10:01 PM

Vinnie Paul

Vinnie Paul of Pantera, kickass drummer.
Discuss.

If there is already another Vinnie Paul thread then sorry and feel free to move or delete this.

archaic_sin 05-19-2006 02:07 AM

Re: Vinnie Paul

I love Pantera and I love Vinnie. He's a really cool guy and his drumming in Pantera did them a lot of justice. He has such a rough sound to his drums and it works well for the overall musical flow of Pantera. Outside of that he's still a great drummer, a drummer that just happens to remind me of a giant teddy bear.

TopCat 05-19-2006 02:41 AM

Awesome drummer, can't fault his playing. His sig snare looks kick ass too.

Smoky_McPot 05-19-2006 02:44 AM

I cover alot of Pantera...I will be a happy man once I can play Becoming 100% correct lol!

mikei 05-19-2006 02:51 AM

I just recently got into Pantera.

I love the drum sound and the guitar sound. Phil's voice is outstanding.

My blood pressure rises when I listen to the CD Vulgar Display of Power.

Vinnie is actually a very tight drummer. Very technical, yet at the same time, has great grooves.

Mike

KLittle123 05-19-2006 03:45 AM

I don't really listen to him much, but the stuff I have heard I actually like him, its pretty sweet.

Nicolás 05-19-2006 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky_McPot
I cover alot of Pantera...I will be a happy man once I can play Becoming 100% correct lol!

I also cover lots of pantera songs with my band, they are lots of fun to play

I love Vinnie he is one of my inspirations to continue drumming and in my opinion on of the greatest metal drummers. Nice grooves, nice technique and his playing style fits perfectly to what Pantera/Damageplan was

P.S: RIP Dimebag Darrell

Vic_Rattledeth 05-22-2006 10:44 PM

I'm also having trouble playing Becoming, i'm nt sure if I have it right. Is it
R RLRLRLRLRL with diddles every other right hit?

k_50 05-28-2006 05:22 AM

Vinnie's great!
I think he's one of the most tastefull and groovy metal drummers out there.
I'm a single bass player myself and proud of it, but whenever I put on A Vugar Display Of Power or Coboys From Hell Vinnies playing just makes me wanna put together my double pedal and play (that takes someting because normally I hate the thing).

MuDvAyNe 05-28-2006 12:58 PM

one of my favourite drummers in metal.Also you gotta love that HH Power Bell Ride

Edwardo 05-28-2006 09:50 PM

of course vinnie paul, absolutely amazing drummer. i much prefer his stuff with pantera rather than damage plan, just seemed to be more unique and stand out more for some reason. damage plan only having one album makes a bit difficult to pass judgement, but on cowboys from hell for example, the drumming is so much better than any DP.

VinniePaul 06-01-2006 06:38 PM

Yes, Vinnie Paul is an amazing drummer!
My favorite as you may see.
He is so badass, so was his brother, Dime.

DrummerEH 06-03-2006 05:02 AM

He's one of the few metal drummers that has a sound of his own, I've never heard anyone play like him. He's one of the best double bass players out there. I'm mainly a jazz and classical guy but Pantera is a guilty pleasure of mine.

tambian89 06-03-2006 09:57 PM

I love Vinnie's drumming. That HH Powerbell Ride is awesome, too.

- Marc

metalheadeza666 06-03-2006 11:10 PM

Yeah vinnie paul's drumming is really good. He has a unique sound, in that he could play a groove then you get someone like chris adler or joey jordison to play the same groove, but vinnie would make it his own and you would know it was vinnie paul, and not just because of his drums ( if you know what i mean, i'm not very good at wording stuff lol).

~tamadrummer~ 06-03-2006 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metalheadeza666
Yeah vinnie paul's drumming is really good. He has a unique sound, in that he could play a groove then you get someone like chris adler or joey jordison to play the same groove, but vinnie would make it his own and you would know it was vinnie paul, and not just because of his drums ( if you know what i mean, i'm not very good at wording stuff lol).

I know EXACTLY what you mean, Its the way he sounds and how much power he puts into his drumming. HEs awesome.

demoncleaner 06-04-2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic_Rattledeth
I'm also having trouble playing Becoming, i'm nt sure if I have it right. Is it
R RLRLRLRLRL with diddles every other right hit?

Hey, I guess Vinny playes 5 stroke rolls with the feet: R RRLLR L RRLLR L RRLLR

chops4kicks 06-07-2006 02:56 AM

I agree with everyone on this page he is definately one of the best in history just how he makes everything his own and puts vinnie on it, my favorite song is Revolution Is My Name, i think that that is one of the most perfect songs every drummed on in the history of drumming, all the fills are perfect and the groove after the chorus couldn't have been more perfect. (I think Mike Portnoy took that groove and made it simplier and put it on his song Home)

jarrod 06-07-2006 01:28 PM

Yeah i agree vinnie has some sweet grooves pantera are a band who saved metal in away
they have really good songs and yeah vinnie has a sweet sounding kit

I think the passing of there guitarer dimbag darrell (who was one of the best metal guitarist)
was pritty much S**T any way just remember him guys

rhythmicpunisher 06-07-2006 06:25 PM

How is it there are hundreds of posts in the Joey thread and only 18 in Vinnie Pauls. Vinnie has in part made me the drummer I am today. Hopefully some of you got to see pantera! I did 4 times and I still remember the day I heard Pantera for the first time and was Like OHHHH MY GODDDDD!!!

Joss 06-08-2006 10:18 PM

The last few bars of Becoming are excellent. I just love his whole kit, from the huge-ass toms to the power bell ride, and his snare sounds soo good.
He is one of the best metal drummers around, it's just a shame Pantera and Dimebag haven't lasted as long.
And by the way, I have the same birthday as Dime. Which I think is pretty cool.

chump 06-08-2006 10:59 PM

one of the greatest metal drummers of all time and one of my favorites.

ive been banging to pantera for almost 10 years now and vinnie never tires me

secondXheartbeat 06-10-2006 04:42 AM

vulgar display of power is one of the best metal records of all time, definitely the best of the 90s

if you wanna argue, PM me

METAL_DRUMMER 06-10-2006 05:12 AM

vinnie is an awesome drummer
I love his double bass at the ending of "becoming"

Ramsh 06-10-2006 01:18 PM

For me Vinnie is already a living legend in Metal, I hope he makes some good moves in the future.

MetalThrasher442 06-12-2006 05:55 PM

Vinnie was never one of my favorites, but still a great metal drummer at that. He wasn't one of the best double bass players, but he could still kick it and make some surprisingly sweet grooves for metal. Anyway Pantera's one of my favorite bands and their guitarist and drummer were great. They played extremely tight almost as if they were brothers....oh wait....

jarrod 06-13-2006 02:13 PM

Vinnie b-day is 7 day after mine wich it hink is cool lol

Ramsh 06-13-2006 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrod
Vinnie b-day is 7 day after mine wich it hink is cool lol

My birthday is the same as Madonna's :)

secondXheartbeat 06-14-2006 04:52 AM

I read somewhere that he tapes silver dollars to his bass drum head instead of using like dots like normal, but I could be wrong . . .

I thought that was kind of weird, but it does explain why his kicks sound so unique.

2sticks4strings 07-14-2006 07:22 AM

One of the, if not the best metal drummers out there. His kit is really awe inspiring as is his drumming. I dont like Pantera and 90% of Damageplan but thats the vocals. If I could erase the vocal tracks on those cd's I would be set. I think I might get the sig. snare but thats because of the depth,sound and price more than his name.

JayDVee009 07-15-2006 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondXheartbeat
vulgar display of power is one of the best metal records of all time, definitely the best of the 90s

if you wanna argue, PM me

Good call dude! I first heard Vulgar Display in 92' and it blew my head off, I was like " What the *%#$ is this? This is incredible!! Mouth For War, then New Level... my God metal had been reinvented into a different style yet again by another awesome band."

I like how a lot of people on this thread say how groovy Vinnie Paul's drumming is coz it is & that's such an excellent quality to have in a metal band.... to be a hard hitting, fast and powerful metal drummer yet also be groovy. Amazing combination.

NaturalRaZ 07-15-2006 10:38 PM

Ok...

Recently I saw an episode of "Pantera" Behind The Music. Did anyone else see that?

I'm curious to know if anyone else's view of Vinnie has changed. Anyone who has seen that episode has to be able to say something.

JayDVee009 07-15-2006 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaturalRaZ
Ok...

Recently I saw an episode of "Pantera" Behind The Music. Did anyone else see that?

I'm curious to know if anyone else's view of Vinnie has changed. Anyone who has seen that episode has to be able to say something.

I haven't seen it but could you tell us about it please, I'm curious about it! Cheers.

NaturalRaZ 07-15-2006 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayDVee009
I haven't seen it but could you tell us about it please, I'm curious about it! Cheers.

I am hesitant to give my unfiltered opinion on the matter, due to the fact that I want unfiltered opinions that are not in response to my opinon. What I will acknowledge is... it really made me see Vinnie in a different light. In a negative way at that.

Following Pantera for years.... loving them, watching them split... only hearing rumours and opinons... then finally being able to hear Phil's words direcctly really shed some light on the matter.

I always thought that something was seriously wrong within the big picture of Pantera.... considering everything I ever heard about the split was always one-sided. That side being from Vinnie and somehow, Phil's side being closed quickly through publicists and lawyers tricks.

I know that VH1's "Behind The Music" is a show... and the goals are to get attention, ratings and compete with the other music broadcasting company. Being in Radio Broadcasting for a bit, I do understand the "Cut and Paste" method when it comes to telling a story. Thats why you see numerous "STORY WRITERS" in the credits of these shows. They are there to tell a story utilizing the information that they have on tape. Even if its used to flop the actual reality of what was said. But... its simple in my view. The things that were said.... WERE SAID. And, I understand the context of them... being that I am able to separate myself from the story telling process, and just listen to the words said.

But... I want others opinons on the matter... if they saw it.

ness 07-15-2006 11:39 PM

I saw that behind the music, and I still love vinnie as a drumer but not as much as a person. Phil really shed some light on why they split which I liked because everything I heard about the split before this show was against Phil, saying he just didn't want to do it anymore.

JayDVee009 07-15-2006 11:43 PM

Well... all I can say at the moment is that I'd love to give my opinion on what Vinnie Paul said on this "Behind the Music" show on VH1 but unfortunately I have no idea what he said, so if anyone out there can tell me what he said I'd appreciate it. If I could download the particular episode I would but I can't, the suspense is killing me.....

NaturalRaZ 07-15-2006 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ness
I saw that behind the music, and I still love vinnie as a drumer but not as much as a person. Phil really shed some light on why they split which I liked because everything I heard about the split before this show was against Phil, saying he just didn't want to do it anymore.

Bingo! Thats why I didn't interject my personal opinon. I wanted to make sure that others saw Vinnie in the same light that I do now.

It was a HUGE eye opener wasn't it?

NaturalRaZ 07-15-2006 11:48 PM

Sorry for the double post.. but I have to say it.

It's really sad that it took the death of "Dimebag" to shed light on the topic.

I think Phil said it best when he said to Vinnie.... "If you wish me dead because of what happened... Are you just going to lose another brother?"

That was really sad, but it needed to be said and heard.

JayDVee009 07-16-2006 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaturalRaZ
Sorry for the double post.. but I have to say it.

It's really sad that it took the death of "Dimebag" to shed light on the topic.

I think Phil said it best when he said to Vinnie.... "If you wish me dead because of what happened... Are you just going to lose another brother?"

That was really sad, but it needed to be said and heard.

Yeah well.... sounds pretty intense! Definitley sounds like some things were said that just should not have been said, let alone thought. Unfortunately an example of a terrible situation bringing the worst out in people. I only hope things can be resolved somehow if possible and the negative energy can be beaten.

Not good to honour someone's memory with negativity and ill wishes.

NaturalRaZ 07-16-2006 12:18 AM

Quote:

Definitley sounds like some things were said that just should not have been said, let alone thought..

Yes... and...from what I have gathered, Vinnie and his wife are directly responsible for that.

Quote:

Unfortunately an example of a terrible situation bringing the worst out in people.

Yes it really does at times. One thing that I have to say is.... the episode stongly pointed out that Dimebag had never once criticized, slandered, made fun of, or... degraded Phil's reputation in anyway, shape or form. It was all Vinnie and his wife. It kinda hurt me to see Vinnie in that light. But, I'm glad I saw it.