DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Anybody else who doesn't care about the World Cup? (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117501)

Magenta 06-12-2014 06:51 PM

Anybody else who doesn't care about the World Cup?

A month of it. A whole bloody month of it.

Sweet Angel of Death, take me now.

Arky 06-12-2014 06:56 PM

Re: Anybody else who doesn't care about the World Cup?

Yes, me.
I care more for the homeless kids who were being shot to 'clean up' the city for the World Cup.

Wow, a full month? I didn't know this.

I did enjoy a few matches at previous World Cups but I've never been into soccer. It's WAY overrated IMO. Still better than gladiators fighting in arenas.

Magenta 06-12-2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arky (Post 1268224)
Yes, me.
I care more for the homeless kids who were being shot to 'clean up' the city for the World Cup.

I saw that link, Arky. Could hardly believe it - I don't want to believe it, although I expect it's true. Was it verified, do you know?

Arky 06-12-2014 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 1268226)
I saw that link, Arky. Could hardly believe it - I don't want to believe it, although I expect it's true. Was it verified, do you know?

I didn't do any more research but that info was brought forward by various sources. A few dozen thousand stray dogs killed in Sochi for the Olypmics this year, those homeless kids in Brazil - even if this isn't accurate, they still evacuated countless homeless people - that is, temporarily, like the US did in Los Angeles for the 1984 Olympics (part of those homeless people would return but it took just enough time for the Olympic Games to be held 'undisturbed'). That stuff keeps repeating - sad, isn't it?

Magenta 06-12-2014 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arky (Post 1268227)
That stuff keeps repeating - sad, isn't it?

Life is all too cheap, isn't it? And then there are these footballers who earn more in a week than millions of people will earn in their entire lives.

Something is wrong.

picodon 06-12-2014 07:23 PM

I thought Brasil had a decent government that should never do those things. We haven't even seen a fraction of the misery that the Qatar world cup will create.

I think I will watch a few matches though it's the billions of viewers that have the power to continue or stop this happening.

bermuda 06-12-2014 07:27 PM

Absolutely no interest here, although in the US. soccer isn't big, so I have an excuse. Los Angeles has a soccer team - I'd know the name if I heard it - and Beckham joined a few years ago (I think he's already done.) That was their claim to fame as far as I can tell.

Bermuda

loki03xlh 06-12-2014 07:39 PM

I'll pass on soccer, just too slow and boring to keep my attention. I hope the fans enjoy it, but it's just not for me.

GRUNTERSDAD 06-12-2014 07:41 PM

Played soccer in college, love the game, love the Cup, but yes feel sorry for the locals as I do for every Olympics. Houses torn down to make room for venues, and in this case venues not finished, Billions spent when people are starving. It's hard to separate, but I try to see the games without the politics, even though I know it exists.

GRUNTERSDAD 06-12-2014 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bermuda (Post 1268234)
Absolutely no interest here, although in the US. soccer isn't big, so I have an excuse. Los Angeles has a soccer team - I'd know the name if I heard it - and Beckham joined a few years ago (I think he's already done.) That was their claim to fame as far as I can tell.

Bermuda

That would be the Galaxy

GRUNTERSDAD 06-12-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 1268228)
Life is all too cheap, isn't it? And then there are these footballers who earn more in a week than millions of people will earn in their entire lives.

Something is wrong.

The only thing wrong, like any other sport, is that people like the sport and keep paying to go. When they stop paying, the players will be unemployed.

And the Olympic Committee is having trouble trying to find a host nation for the 2022 Olympic Games, because no one wants to foot the bill

opentune 06-12-2014 07:48 PM

Soccer - the 'beautiful game'. I am not a regular watcher but the World Cup matches get quite good and intense.

Of course the 'politics' behind most world organized sports these days is disgusting. Brazil, Beijing, Sochi....all the same outcome. Mind you behind the politics, its only about MONEY.

BillRayDrums 06-12-2014 07:49 PM

I don't watch sports. Ever.

Bo Eder 06-12-2014 08:11 PM

[quote=Arky;1268227................... like the US did in Los Angeles for the 1984 Olympics (part of those homeless people would return but it took just enough time for the Olympic Games to be held 'undisturbed'). That stuff keeps repeating - sad, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

Really? I was here in Los Angeles for those games and heard nothing about the homeless being shifted around, and continued to see homeless people here and there. Any links on that bit of old news?

BacteriumFendYoke 06-12-2014 08:21 PM

Football? No, I've got the damn cricket to stress about first.

Muckster 06-12-2014 08:44 PM

No interest in soccer whatsoever.

Magenta 06-12-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke (Post 1268261)
Football? No, I've got the damn cricket to stress about first.

What ees thees creekeet, of wheech you speek?

Anon La Ply 06-12-2014 09:32 PM

My dad was a Euro and mad keen on soccer and, while I usually don't bother, I love the World Cup, especially the early rounds. It gets boring in the finals because they stop doing all the cool tricks and just fake injury.

But Madge, it's not the same for me. You are probably fed up with soccer obsessives all over the place.

Sydney media is obsessed with rugby league because Murdoch's News Ltd have big investments in the sport and they own 70% of our total media (yes, that's right, democracy in Oz is illusory).

Magenta 06-12-2014 09:43 PM

[quote=Anon La Ply;1268283]But Madge, it's not the same for me. You are probably fed up with soccer obsessives all over the place. {/QUOTE]

Yyyyup. My brother is a football journalist. zzzzzzz

I only married Mr Madge because he claimed - MENDACIOUSLY - that he wasn't interested in football.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anon La Ply (Post 1268283)
Sydney media is obsessed with rugby league because Murdoch's News Ltd have big investments in the sport and they own 70% of our total media (yes, that's right, democracy in Oz is illusory).

Rugby League is ok. Union is way, waaaaay better :)

Anon La Ply 06-12-2014 10:03 PM

Ah, that makes sense. You post had that typical sense of frustration when hemmed in by football heads.

One cool thing about the WC is when they sing the anthems and there's often some hilarious haircuts :)

mmulcahy1 06-12-2014 10:03 PM

What's the World Cup?

picodon 06-12-2014 10:42 PM

You don't get the best soccer in a world cup. A national soccer team of 11 players often play in 5, 6, 7 different countries. They hardly train together. Club teams like Barcelona play waaayy better together. Not that I watch those.

The WC is a good way for countries with depressed economies, soaring unemployment and flourishing extreme right parties (i'm looking at you France) to find a common cause and create some national cohesion. Funnily, only one country wins at the end and all others lose, so the ones with low frustration tolerance won't be any better off. Neither will be the host country that picks up the bill while FIFA is not paying any tax in Brazil, my newspaper said.

Whatever the case I think I might just watch a Holland match or a few...

picodon 06-12-2014 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anon La Ply (Post 1268290)
Ah, that makes sense. You post had that typical sense of frustration when hemmed in by football heads.

One cool thing about the WC is when they sing the anthems and there's often some hilarious haircuts :)

U sure it's the haircuts you're watching? 3 women in the house here disagree.

Dodeska 06-12-2014 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 (Post 1268291)
What's the World Cup?

The World Cup is a football* (that's "football", not "soccer") tournament that is played by teams from countries all over the World.
The winner of the tournament wins the World Cup - it's actually a trophy now, but the original prize was a cup.

You're welcome.

BacteriumFendYoke 06-12-2014 11:22 PM

Madge, having played Union for many years, I can agree with your sentiment entirely.

Pocket-full-of-gold 06-12-2014 11:53 PM

Soccer? Hell no. I need a little more excitement from football: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsMhWrZDclc

Midnite Zephyr 06-13-2014 12:03 AM

You mean soccer? Doesn't interest me at all.

JustJames 06-13-2014 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 (Post 1268291)
What's the World Cup?

You know the World Series?

Well, it's a similar idea, but differs in two important respects:
1. It's not baseball
2. Here's the weird bit - teams from all over the world actually compete!

BacteriumFendYoke 06-13-2014 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr (Post 1268324)
You mean soccer? Doesn't interest me at all.

No, we mean football. If you call it 'soccer' around my parts, you're liable for a beating.

Michaelocalypse 06-13-2014 12:49 AM

Haters still talking about it.

larryace 06-13-2014 12:50 AM

I like all kinds of cups. Generally, cups are good. I'd rather live in a world with cups than without cups. So I care fairly deeply about cups.

Arky 06-13-2014 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michaelocalypse (Post 1268341)
Haters still talking about it.

Haters and non-carers, that's completely different animals. See?

Even if it was about hating - why not have a discussion?

BacteriumFendYoke 06-13-2014 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryace (Post 1268342)
I like all kinds of cups. Generally, cups are good. I'd rather live in a world with cups than without cups. So I care fairly deeply about cups.

I have a cup for my gentleman area. I wear it for cricket. That's a real sport. Balls flying everywhere.

If you're not wearing the cup.

larryace 06-13-2014 01:06 AM

See that's why cups are good. They protect things. The contain things. Where would bras be without cups? They really are and essential part of life. You still have the ability to reproduce because of cups.

Midnite Zephyr 06-13-2014 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke (Post 1268340)
No, we mean football. If you call it 'soccer' around my parts, you're liable for a beating.

I've always wondered why we call American Football "football". Football, the soccer version, is an English sport, so I can see how Brits could get all bent out of shape over the word soccer. This fact shouldn't diminish the game of American football though. It really is a great sport to watch and play.

Anon La Ply 06-13-2014 01:46 AM

Just to add balance, let's have a look some others ports - especially American sports. Calling your national baseball league World Series is a wank. Admit it. Meanwhile grid iron is almost as fast as golf and lawn bowls. Almost. (sorry Bon lol). But it's at least faster than cricket (sorry Duncan).

In Australia, we either have Aussie Rules and Rugby league, both games thuggish and dangerous. Unlike grid iron, where everyone hugs and chats in a sewing circle most of the time, in thugby league they spend half their time with their heads up each others' (ample) arses. In Aussie Rules there are long passages where the players scrabble around as though they're competing to grab a cake of wet soap from the bottom of the bathtub.

Quote:

Originally Posted by picodon (Post 1268300)
U sure it's the haircuts you're watching? 3 women in the house here disagree.

This isn't something I noticed, Pico - World Cup haircuts are notorious.

Google search = "world cup" haircuts
About 4,290,000 results

mmulcahy1 06-13-2014 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodeska (Post 1268310)
The World Cup is a football* (that's "football", not "soccer") tournament that is played by teams from countries all over the World.
The winner of the tournament wins the World Cup - it's actually a trophy now, but the original prize was a cup.

You're welcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustJames (Post 1268337)
You know the World Series?

Well, it's a similar idea, but differs in two important respects:
1. It's not baseball
2. Here's the weird bit - teams from all over the world actually compete!

Oh, that game (Football/Soccer)! I've seen it played. It is good exercise, what with all the players running back and forth chasing their ball, except the lazy guys at the ends of the grass - they just hang out by a big net.

I've also noticed that the clock in this game is rather strange. It counts up instead of counting down to 0:00 like other time oriented games.

Well, I hope somebody wins the Cup before time runs outů oh, wait it doesn't happen like that.

I think (just for grins) that I'll root for Antarctica.

For me personally, it's Basketball. Not the NBA, that's just a bunch of way over-paid idiots running up and down a court playing with their balls - then dribbling and shooting the ol' round-ball through the hoop. College Basketball is where it's at. Come on November!

mjtug 06-13-2014 02:53 AM

I have a theory for making soccer instantly more interesting. Assign each goal 7 points. Instead of a final score of 3-2, it would be 21-14. See? Already far more interesting. And none of this tie game crap. Perhaps we could just dispatch with the game and get right to the shootout at the end.

Dr_Watso 06-13-2014 02:58 AM

I don't mind going to actual sports games; and almost always enjoy playing the games myself, but would never be able to "follow" a sport, watch it on TV, or care, really.

For example, I had no idea that there was a "world cup" going on right now. I don't subscribe to cable, and sports ads out in the world are just white noise to me that doesn't even enter my consciousness.

picodon 06-13-2014 07:23 AM

Triggers a philosophical question though:
You enjoy playing sports but not watching it. I'm not saying anyone should, but:
You enjoy playing music and you enjoy listening to it, right?
What's the difference?