DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heads and Sticks (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Looking for a longer stick. (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116141)

FugginmugginDrums 04-17-2014 10:30 PM

Looking for a longer stick.
 
I am looking for a longer stick but not finding any luck. I am playing a Promark 747 right now, which is longer than your average stick, but i am looking for something with a little more length because i have short arms. Any suggestions?

brady 04-17-2014 11:29 PM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
Steve Jordan's VF signature stick is pretty long. I think it's 17".

FugginmugginDrums 04-18-2014 12:18 AM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
Thank you very much brady! I'll look into those!

porter 04-18-2014 01:29 AM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
There's also the Vater Stretch 7a, a bit thinner than the Promark but it's over 16". I'm sure there are other models out there too.

Edit: Looking through Regal Tip and Vic Firth's charts, there are a couple of models over 16" and around the same diameter as the Promark 747 (which is .551):
(sorted by diameter)
VF Extreme 8D: 0.540" d, 16.5" l
RT Chester Thompson: 0.550" d, 17" l
VF Stanton Moore and Terry Bozzio: 0.550" d, 16.25" l
RT Anarchy X: 0.555" d, 16.5" l
VF Zoro: 0.555" d, 16.375" l (i used to play these. loved 'em.)

All have wood tips, though of course taper & tip shape vary between them. Hopefully that helps.

AudioWonderland 04-18-2014 01:54 AM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
Vic 55a or the Alex van Halen sticks

alparrott 04-18-2014 06:30 AM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
Promark 747 is essentially a 5A with .25 extra inches. Go for a stretch 5A for starters, like the Vic Firth X5A.

porter 04-18-2014 06:45 AM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
Just FYI, Vic 5As are .565" diameter, while Pro-Mark 5As are .551". Weird difference, but as someone who would notice that delta, I feel obligated to point it out.

longgun 04-18-2014 06:16 PM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
The VF "Questlove" signature sticks are 17", but they are pretty thin

Pyromaniac777 04-18-2014 07:58 PM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
Any of the Vic Firth Extremes would be good.

julius 04-19-2014 06:13 AM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brady (Post 1251722)
Steve Jordan's VF signature stick is pretty long. I think it's 17".

I was also looking for a longer stick and wound up loving these. They are thin though, definitely not a stick for hyper aggressive music. The other nice thing is that the tips are pretty standard wood tips...seemed like a lot of longer sticks had strange tips.

NC68 04-21-2014 07:42 PM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
I've been using the Zildjian Dave Grohl Artist Series Drumstick for certain gigs. They are 16 3/4" long but they also have a really nice balance to them, (I'm using wood tip). A couple of other drummers really noticed this when they picked one up at various gigs. They all seemed to like them too.

wildbill 04-21-2014 11:14 PM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
These should work:

https://shopping.yahoo.com/27944906-...en-drumsticks/

https://ipgcdn-a.akamaihd.net/pi/2/7...944906_640.jpg

GRUNTERSDAD 04-21-2014 11:31 PM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
Abe Laboriel signature model.......17 inches

drum4fun27302 04-23-2014 12:10 AM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
vater 1A are 17 , i believe

EvansSpecialist 04-24-2014 03:45 PM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
If you're used to the Promark 747, check out the Promark 5AL. It's 16 1/2" with the same diameter and tip.

Midnite Zephyr 04-24-2014 03:55 PM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by porter (Post 1251810)
Just FYI, Vic 5As are .565" diameter, while Pro-Mark 5As are .551". Weird difference, but as someone who would notice that delta, I feel obligated to point it out.

Yes, and the Regal Tip 5AX is .580 and 16-1/2" long. That makes it even more weird.

porter 04-24-2014 04:51 PM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr (Post 1253609)
Yes, and the Regal Tip 5AX is .580 and 16-1/2" long. That makes it even more weird.

I actually posted about this in a different thread, too:

Quote:

As for the stick sizes, those terms are so broken and misleading it befuddles me. Just look at the spread in 5A diameters you have from four major stick manufacturers: Vic's are .565, Pro-Mark's are .551, Vater's are .570, and Regal Tip's are .580. Pro-Mark's 5Bs are .590- they're actually closer to a Regal Tip 5A than that same RT5A is to Pro-Mark's 5A. None of the designations are standardized, every company has their own special ones that don't make any sense, and it's all a huge cluster. The only actual order seems to be a very general one of higher numbers indicating smaller diameter, which, like... what? Even bra sizes make more sense than this stuff.

EvansSpecialist 04-25-2014 09:08 PM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by porter (Post 1253629)
I actually posted about this in a different thread, too:

As for the stick sizes, those terms are so broken and misleading it befuddles me. Just look at the spread in 5A diameters you have from four major stick manufacturers: Vic's are .565, Pro-Mark's are .551, Vater's are .570, and Regal Tip's are .580. Pro-Mark's 5Bs are .590- they're actually closer to a Regal Tip 5A than that same RT5A is to Pro-Mark's 5A. None of the designations are standardized, every company has their own special ones that don't make any sense, and it's all a huge cluster. The only actual order seems to be a very general one of higher numbers indicating smaller diameter, which, like... what? Even bra sizes make more sense than this stuff.

That's actually why we launched the Promark Select Balance series. Rather than focusing on labels that have no quantitative meaning, we chose the 5 most popular diameters of drumsticks and designed a system around them to offer two different feels based on balance. More details here, if you're interested: http://www.promark.com/selectbalance.page

Midnite Zephyr 04-26-2014 12:18 AM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvansSpecialist (Post 1254015)
That's actually why we launched the Promark Select Balance series. Rather than focusing on labels that have no quantitative meaning, we chose the 5 most popular diameters of drumsticks and designed a system around them to offer two different feels based on balance. More details here, if you're interested: http://www.promark.com/selectbalance.page

Great idea, but they are not longer like the sticks mentioned in this thread, and they do not come with nylon tips either.

porter 04-26-2014 03:08 AM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvansSpecialist (Post 1254015)
That's actually why we launched the Promark Select Balance series. Rather than focusing on labels that have no quantitative meaning, we chose the 5 most popular diameters of drumsticks and designed a system around them to offer two different feels based on balance. More details here, if you're interested: http://www.promark.com/selectbalance.page

Oh, I'm very aware- I was in Project 151. Still have both pairs of 5Bs, they are really great stuff. Nice that they are clearly marked with diameter on the package.

Dre25 04-26-2014 06:28 AM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
That's what she said?

porter 04-26-2014 10:09 AM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
Hahahaha! Very literally, yes.

Zickos 04-26-2014 04:41 PM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
I posted that I was looking for a longer stick once. Now I get all these emails from Canadian pharmacys. What's up with that?

uniongoon 04-26-2014 04:55 PM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
I got turned on to the Chester Thompson stick when I worked for Joe Calato. It is labeled 1A, so maybe the Vater 1A, being the same 17" length is similar? I used these for a few years, probably where I developed my habit of hanging the stick almost completely out of my hand, basically holding onto the last 2 inches of stick. Got great throw and stick inertia, but not so great for intricate fast rudimental playing.
Currently, I love the Vic Firth 5B, and I am consciously choking up on the stick more to perfect my doubles etc. I recently got a free pair of Chester's at his clinic, feel a little awkward now, but I sure used to love them.

FugginmugginDrums 04-26-2014 06:04 PM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
I love all these great responses and suggestions! Thank you all! I should have been a bit more specific on my original post, I am looking for a 17" length but with the diameter of like 5B.I play hard rock and a thinner stick wouldnt work well with me.

Midnite Zephyr 04-26-2014 07:08 PM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
ProMark - Hickory 735 Steve Ferrone Wood Tip
Diameter: .579"
Length: 16 13/16"
Tip Material: Wood
Tip Shape: Teardrop

That's the closest on I can find. It's only 3/16" shy of 17".

Regal Tip makes the Alex Van Halen model which is a long 5A. 17.75" long w/ a dia. of .570".

gish 04-27-2014 12:53 AM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FugginmugginDrums (Post 1254210)
I love all these great responses and suggestions! Thank you all! I should have been a bit more specific on my original post, I am looking for a 17" length but with the diameter of like 5B.I play hard rock and a thinner stick wouldnt work well with me.

Vater 1A, as long as you're OK with a wood tip; I don't think they make them with nylon.

Stewieh1995 04-28-2014 04:09 AM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
Collision Drumsticks just released a 'Reach' series. Theyre awesome!

Midnite Zephyr 04-28-2014 05:28 AM

Re: Looking for a longer stick.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gish (Post 1254317)
Vater 1A, as long as you're OK with a wood tip; I don't think they make them with nylon.

Ahhh, but they do have a nylon tip. Nice to know.

http://www.vater.com/products/product.cfm?M=5


Here's one that is strictly nylon tip with a shorter taper:

http://vater.com/products/product.cfm?M=128


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com