DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electronic Drums (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Kat KA1 Amp (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115439)

EssKayKay 03-23-2014 03:22 AM

Kat KA1 Amp

Has anyone had any experience with the new Kat amps? I'm looking for something small for home use only. I'm considering either the Kat KA1 or Simmons DA50. I read the review in digitalDrummer a while back. They seemed to like the Kat amps but they liked Simmons too. I'm leaning toward the Kat. Your thoughts....

SKK

EssKayKay 04-04-2014 02:12 AM

Re: Kat KA1 Amp

Well I jumped on the Kat KA1 Ė donít bother. It is terrible -- absolutely tinny as can be. Now I realized this is a very low end amp, but this is much less than what I expected. Do not buy this amp.

Now maybe this is the same or similar to the Simmons DA50, I donít know. But for me, Iím very disappointed. Chalk this up to experience. I was hoping for something comparable to what I hear through my ATH M50 headphones. Maybe that was unrealistic Ė too bad for me. Again, regarding the Kat KA1 Ė donít botherÖ.

Just my 2-cents,
SKK

wildbill 04-04-2014 02:46 AM

If you can afford a little bit more, or wait till it goes on sale, I think it's worth a few extra bucks to go with the Simmons da200s, rather than the 50:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Simmons-...30-i1383307.gc

Do a search for it and read some of the reviews and comments. I've got one and recommend it.

thebarak 04-04-2014 07:23 PM

It is a shame that there are so many positive reviews online for these "50 Watt" and "200 Watt" e-drum amps. It makes people do what you did and waste their money. They really do sound awful in my opinion. Until you decide spend hundreds more on sound, you should just stick with headphones. I recommend the Yamaha DXR12.

EssKayKay 04-05-2014 04:00 PM

So in your opinion Barak even the 200 watt amps are a joke?

SKK

thebarak 04-06-2014 06:19 AM

No, not a joke,but they don't sound very nice if you turn up the volume. You can certainly use them if you are on a budget and they are designed to handle drums okay. It is just that the sound quality is nothing like what you get in your phones.

wildbill 04-06-2014 02:43 PM

Go try it and judge for yourself.

If you have an unlimited budget, then the sky is the limit.
Otherwise, get what sounds best to you within your budget.

If nothing in your budget is acceptable to you, then continue to use your ATH M50 headphones.

EssKayKay 04-06-2014 04:00 PM

I live in a small town with no music store to speak of Ė surely no eDrumming. So, without being able to actually ďsampleĒ some amps, I really didnít know what to expect in my budget Ė for that matter I didnít even know what my budget was/is.

My total TD-11KV setup cost around $2K. It just seems weird that youíd have to spend half that just on a relatively decent sound system that will never be used outside my basement. Iím not questioning anyone here as your expertise much surpasses anything I have. But to me, the KA1 sounds pretty close to my transistor radio. I suspect the Simmons DA50 is very similar (i.e., disappointing). Now I donít know anything about the higher end KA2 or DA200 but based on my experience, I suspect I too would not be very unimpressed. Maybe Iím just too picayune, particularly after comparing to my ATH M50ís.

Thanks again guys,
SKK

Yamaha41 04-07-2014 12:49 AM

I use a single Ev ZLX powered sub the 15" run about 499.99 made a deal on mine for 449.99 because they didn't have the 12" in stock either would work great the 12" is only $399

EssKayKay 04-07-2014 01:39 AM

So Yammie41 - How does your ZLX15 compare to a good set of headphones like the ATH M50's? People are telling me my expectations are unrealistic -- I can't expect anything even close to what I hear out of my M50's. Now, maybe I don't expect it to be that good but I surely expect much much more that what I heard from the KA1.

Thank you,
Steve K.

Yamaha41 04-07-2014 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssKayKay (Post 1248442)
So Yammie41 - How does your ZLX15 compare to a good set of headphones like the ATH M50's? People are telling me my expectations are unrealistic -- I can't expect anything even close to what I hear out of my M50's. Now, maybe I don't expect it to be that good but I surely expect much much more that what I heard from the KA1.

Thank you,
Steve K.

It will never sound like headphones to many other thing come into effect and will change the sound of an open speaker no matter what you spend. But IMO this is your best bet a nice powered sub will sound better then any monitor and won't break the bank.

wildbill 04-07-2014 05:03 AM

With electronic drums, you've got a large frequency range to reproduce.
All the way from the lows of the bass drum to the top sparkle of the cymbals.
A single speaker, large or small, will struggle on one end or the other.

Yamaha41 04-07-2014 05:09 AM

I should have added the fact that when I play through my headphones my setting are different the when playing through the Ev Pa speaker. When I first got it I just plugged it in and expected it to sound just like the headphones but not even close but with a different mix I get very close and am very happy with the speaker

EssKayKay 04-07-2014 03:43 PM

Not to beat a dead horse here, but Yammy, you like the EvPa better than the Simmons DA200 or other similar drum monitors? The price for the ZLX12 is probably not the limiting factor as it appears to be in the ball park.

Thanks again.....

Yamaha41 04-07-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssKayKay (Post 1248594)
Not to beat a dead horse here, but Yammy, you like the EvPa better than the Simmons DA200 or other similar drum monitors? The price for the ZLX12 is probably not the limiting factor as it appears to be in the ball park.

Thanks again.....

My local GC had a Simmons monitor set up to play through when I was looking to buy one got a chance to hear it not sure if it was the same one you speak of but it was no comparison to the ZLX in terms of sound. Plus the ZLX can be used a monitor also. It has the option of a few different settings and it's own EQ. I also use it when I practice on a live drum set to play to music at 1000 watts I don't even have to turn it all the way up to hear it over the live set. Really the only one that's sounds good at all volume levels IMO also.

EssKayKay 04-07-2014 06:22 PM

Yammy,
How does the ZLX sound at low volume levels (my basement - only for me)?

Yamaha41 04-07-2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssKayKay (Post 1248644)
Yammy,
How does the ZLX sound at low volume levels (my basement - only for me)?

Read the last sentence of my last post you must have missed it lol. Sounds great IMO at all levels

Yamaha41 04-07-2014 06:53 PM

Though now that I think of it the problem with it at low volumes is you will hear yourself hitting the pads. It was kind of my mistake I wanted to get the headphones off my head but I play electronic drum for quiet practice when I have time to play LOUD I want my live set I ended up using it more for that then for the electronic kit. The reason for that is because of the pad noise I have to turn up the PA speaker over it making it no so quiet.