DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really! (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114319)

keep it simple 02-12-2014 10:36 PM

Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
There's many in the Southwest of the UK who've been suffering for the last 7 weeks due to record rainfall. It's relentless. Houses flooded, communities cut off, politicians being filmed standing in a puddle with full safety gear on (hard hat, safety glasses, in a puddle?). anyhow, you get the picture.

You'd think Andy's immune to this living on the top of a hill in the middle of nowhere, well, you'd be wrong. Thankfully, my new storm drain installation is earning it's money (we used to get terrible problems with water running across the property), but all that water has to go somewhere, & it ends up in our valley. Our valley is the only way in or out for us, & all roads are currently closed. The main road is under 5ft of water, cars abandoned everywhere. Even when the floods drain, it will probably take a day or so to remove all the vehicles so we can use the road again.

I recorded 106mph gusts on my wind indicator today, & there's another storm due in Friday. I believe our American cousins are also due unseasonably high snow fall tomorrow, so to all who are weather challenged right now - keep safe.

longgun 02-12-2014 11:06 PM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1230347)
There's many in the Southwest of the UK who've been suffering for the last 7 weeks due to record rainfall. It's relentless. Houses flooded, communities cut off, politicians being filmed standing in a puddle with full safety gear on (hard hat, safety glasses, in a puddle?). anyhow, you get the picture.

You'd think Andy's immune to this living on the top of a hill in the middle of nowhere, well, you'd be wrong. Thankfully, my new storm drain installation is earning it's money (we used to get terrible problems with water running across the property), but all that water has to go somewhere, & it ends up in our valley. Our valley is the only way in or out for us, & all roads are currently closed. The main road is under 5ft of water, cars abandoned everywhere. Even when the floods drain, it will probably take a day or so to remove all the vehicles so we can use the road again.

I recorded 106mph gusts on my wind indicator today, & there's another storm due in Friday. I believe our American cousins are also due unseasonably high snow fall tomorrow, so to all who are weather challenged right now - keep safe.


106mph gusts...........................with rain............................sounds like some crazy weather

Here in Georgia, we're in for our second bout of snow in three weeks............................I've only seen it snow here twice before..................in the last 13+ years.......................can't wait for summer

keep it simple 02-12-2014 11:31 PM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by longgun (Post 1230364)
106mph gusts...........................with rain............................sounds like some crazy weather

Here in Georgia, we're in for our second bout of snow in three weeks............................I've only seen it snow here twice before..................in the last 13+ years.......................can't wait for summer

Crazy indeed, we had 1.5" of rain in one hour!!

Anon La Ply 02-12-2014 11:34 PM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
It seems that our weather is often opposite. At the moment I'm hoping for rain to revive my brown lawn. The past two days it has drizzled very lightly a couple of times, the first rain we've had on over a month. Our southern capitals have been experiencing record runs of 40+C heat.

Good luck with it in soggy England, Andy! Maybe one day humans will be able to move rain around so it's more evenly distributed ...

BacteriumFendYoke 02-13-2014 12:12 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
'Soggy' doesn't even come close to describing it. I'm glad I (literally) live at the top of a cliff, away from the sea but the Thames sure does look full from here.

PQleyR 02-13-2014 12:28 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
The lights dimmed earlier for a moment and I'm wondering if more power cuts are on the way. Let's hope not.

GRUNTERSDAD 02-13-2014 01:05 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Best wishes to all both here and abroad that are suffering with moher nature.

Mad About Drums 02-13-2014 01:25 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
We had an electricity power cut today at the factory, everything went dead suddenly, not good for all the software, it took 45 minutes to get going again... but because of the bad weather and the powerful wind, we had to stop production for safety's sake, many of our tankers containing raw materials could not fill up our silos, too dangerous with the wind, the tankers could tip over during the operations.

Yes, we're having a bad time right now, and it's also freezing cold, luckily, floods hasn't reach Telford as of yet, but some houses in Ironbridge were flooded today.

keep it simple 02-13-2014 01:46 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
1 Attachment(s)
The one & only motorway (freeway) in our county. The M50 this afternoon.

Yes, this is a 4 lane 70mph road, not a river - honest!

audioragegarden 02-13-2014 01:49 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Unseasonably high snowfall? It's winter.

keep it simple 02-13-2014 02:13 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioragegarden (Post 1230406)
Unseasonably high snowfall? It's winter.

Ok, just higher than average snowfall then.

8Mile 02-13-2014 02:15 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
I guess it's all precipitation, whether frozen or not. Either way, I feel your pain, man.

Michigan has three cities amongst the snowiest in the U.S. for the winter so far. 70.8" of snow thus far in Detroit. And sub-zero (F) temps pretty much weekly. It was -8 F this morning on my drive into work.

I'm done with this sh**.

DrumEatDrum 02-13-2014 05:12 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quite the opposite over here.

It was a lovely Summer Day here in Southern California.

Which is kind of bad given it's supposed to be our raining season and we're facing a really serve drought.

Feel free to send some that rain this way! We could use it.

Magenta 02-13-2014 07:03 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
It's nowhere near as bad here as in other parts of the UK, but the winds last night were frightening.

I'd left the horses in their stables yesterday, and when I went down to the farm where they live to muck them out and give them their teas, at about 4p.m., part of the barn roof blew off. I did all the essentials in about 30 minutes and took the absence of roof as my cue to get the hell out.

On the way back (1.5 mile journey) I was slightly alarmed to see a large piece of broken-off tree that hadn't been there before, and when I came to the junction at the end of the lane, it was blocked by another large piece of tree and a number of smaller branches. I didn't fancy getting out of the car to try to move the branches in case any more came down on top of me, so I turned round and headed back to go another way, only to find the lane blocked by more branches after I'd passed the farm. I tried to move them but they were too heavy, and I was quite worried now, thinking I might have to spend the night at the farm! Luckily a neighbour arrived and helped me shift the branches, and I managed to get home safely.

I found Mr Madge sitting glumly in the dark, as the power had gone off. So we dined romantically by candlelight on poppadoms, olives, cold baked beans and a rather nice Sauvignon blanc, but it was a bit scary to hear the roof tiles rattling.

I don't know what I'll find when I attempt to go to the farm later :/

DarkwingDrum 02-13-2014 09:25 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Wow, it looks like I've managed to do alright so far. The worst I've had to contend with are bus delays (which seems to happen whatever the weather) making me a little bit late for work.

Looks like the perfect excuse to stay in and practice paradiddles.

Stay safe everyone.

keep it simple 02-13-2014 09:36 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum (Post 1230462)
Feel free to send some that rain this way! We could use it.

I think we've got enough water just on our roads to fill your reservoirs Ian (see picture below).

In our area, the ground water level is at the surface, & we live on the top of a huge hill!!! We have a septic tank system to our property, & the soakaway is barely working. Now that literally becomes a "shitty" problem if not rectified quickly. Luckily, our system has an underground tanked buffer storage of 30,000 litres (about 8,000USG) that I can deploy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 1230485)
I didn't fancy getting out of the car to try to move the branches in case any more came down on top of me,

Good decision. When trees are dropping big branches or bows due to winter storm conditions, it's actually far more dangerous to be unprotected than when the trees are in leaf. The stuff coming down is often weakened/semi dead stuff and that crap falls off without sound or other notice. I hope all is well with the animals this morning.

Cold beans? = kinky ;)

Magenta 02-13-2014 12:20 PM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1230504)
I hope all is well with the animals this morning.

All fine, thank goodness. No further damage to the barn or anything else. My big lad can be a prize knob at the best of times but he was only a bit more neurotic than usual, and nothing fazes the Boy Wonder.

It's an absolutely glorious day here: bright, cold and still. If it weren't for the arboreal debris all over the place, you'd never know anything had happened.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1230504)
Cold beans? = kinky ;)

I prefer the term "unconventional" - but Mr Madge declined the beans and had a sandwich instead.

The Old Hyde 02-13-2014 02:18 PM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 1230535)
All fine, thank goodness. No further damage to the barn or anything else. My big lad can be a prize knob at the best of times but he was only a bit more neurotic than usual, and nothing fazes the Boy Wonder.

It's an absolutely glorious day here: bright, cold and still. If it weren't for the arboreal debris all over the place, you'd never know anything had happened.



I prefer the term "unconventional" - but Mr Madge declined the beans and had a sandwich instead.

you need to find a way to refrigerate that sack of dead clams or they will start to smell.

Andy, that roadway is unreal, are those a few rooftops of cars in there?

keep it simple 02-13-2014 02:57 PM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 1230535)
arboreal debris

I love our language :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Old Hyde (Post 1230560)
Andy, that roadway is unreal, are those a few rooftops of cars in there?

Probably roofs of cars, although I can't confirm that. Water's easily deep enough, as it's covering all the central barrier structures.

There's a stranded tractor at the bottom of our lane this morning. Ok, it's only a small tractor, but looking at the water mark, it must have been at least 7ft deep! A calm (ish) day today, but another storm due in tomorrow. A predicted 2" of rain for our area. With nowhere for that water to go except into the valley, I think we're in for another crap ride.

Saw a wind surfer on the main road this morning too. That was kinda funny :)

Magenta 02-13-2014 03:24 PM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Old Hyde (Post 1230560)
you need to find a way to refrigerate that sack of dead clams or they will start to smell.

I'm eating one now. Not a hope of them lasting long enough to go off, so don't worry!

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1230577)
A predicted 2" of rain for our area. With nowhere for that water to go except into the valley, I think we're in for another crap ride.

Crikey :/ Never mind building drums - build an Ark!

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1230577)
Saw a wind surfer on the main road this morning too. That was kinda funny :)

You know it's bad when you see stuff like that! When we lived in the south-east of England, we used to get canoeists paddling down our lane.

DarkwingDrum 02-13-2014 06:01 PM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quote:

Never mind building drums - build an Ark!
I'm just enjoying the mental image of a massive guru boat.

Quote:

Saw a wind surfer on the main road this morning too. That was kinda funny :)
There is a guy that brings his jet ski down to the local rugby fields when they flood. He was bombing around last month but the water has drained away since then. I guess it's only a matter of time before he gets it out again though.

tamadrm 02-13-2014 07:28 PM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1230414)
Ok, just higher than average snowfall then.

No Andy,you were right the first time.In NY,we're way ahead of where we're suppose to be ,in terms of snowfall,and record low temps.In fact,all over the US,there are records being broken for snowfall and low temps.some -20 below 0.At that temp,home heating oil,turns to gel.

We just got 9" of snow overnight,and now it's raining to beat the band.It's a slushy mess,and it will all freeze overnight.

I hope all is well with you,the fam and all of our other DW cousins in the UK.I just read the other day,about the huge waves,pounding the cost of the UK and Spain.These major weather events are downright scary.Stay safe my friend.

Steve B

Les Ismore 02-13-2014 09:45 PM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1230405)
The one & only motorway (freeway) in our county. The M50 this afternoon.

Yes, this is a 4 lane 70mph road, not a river - honest!



Ummmm, got you covered.


,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

keep it simple 02-14-2014 09:22 PM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tamadrm (Post 1230690)
No Andy,you were right the first time.In NY,we're way ahead of where we're suppose to be ,in terms of snowfall,and record low temps.In fact,all over the US,there are records being broken for snowfall and low temps.some -20 below 0.At that temp,home heating oil,turns to gel.

We just got 9" of snow overnight,and now it's raining to beat the band.It's a slushy mess,and it will all freeze overnight.

I hope all is well with you,the fam and all of our other DW cousins in the UK.I just read the other day,about the huge waves,pounding the cost of the UK and Spain.These major weather events are downright scary.Stay safe my friend.

Steve B

You too Steve :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Ismore (Post 1230739)
Ummmm, got you covered.


,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Want one - preferably now please!

Power & water just came back on. It's getting tiresome now. Another storm raging outside, & yet more flooding :(

Magenta 02-14-2014 09:30 PM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1231125)
Power & water just came back on. It's getting tiresome now. Another storm raging outside, & yet more flooding :(

Ugh, it gets tarsome after a while.

Hope you're ok. If you need to evacuate, you know where we are. (Bring drums!)

keep it simple 02-14-2014 10:55 PM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 1231128)
(Bring drums!)

Glad to see you have your priorities right ;)

I'll be descending on you a week Wednesday. I might just have something in my car if you want to use it :)

banshees nut 02-14-2014 11:05 PM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
It has been a wild winter so far, luckily in Scotland the flooding hasn't been so bad this year, usually Elgin and last year Stonehaven were badly flooded but at last the councils dregged rivers etc in preparation for this winter.

I am a little tired of marketing people encouraging us to think that it is just climate change, sometimes it is a colddry frosty winter then the media say it is climate change, then it is a mild but very wet winter, again climate change. The bad news is mother nature is a lot stronger than mankind will ever be, I agree we have a resonsibility but media and marketing is so tiresome.

The worst thing about all of this is the people in the flooded areas left for weeks and weeks with no assistance at all, actually some companies are making money by having to distribute things to temporary addresses etc.

There are certain counties and lots of building plots in England where before the 1960s were commonly known for being flooded every year. They built houses and put short term temporary structures to prevent the flooding and sell the houses. The last 10 years or so these places have been flooded almost every year and it is now building up and flowing into new areas. Very tough on the people there.

larryace 02-14-2014 11:06 PM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Andy you have no generator? I have well water so I NEED a generator. It's just a portable 7500 watt affair but it's worth it's weight in gold when the lights go out. I find it hard to believe that you didn't have one installed. A nice automatic transfer switch and a permanently installed tank of LP gas to power it would be just the ticket.

Magenta 02-15-2014 04:47 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
When I said "bring drums" I was only thinking of you, of course. I wouldn't want them to get drownded or stolen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1231158)
I'll be descending on you a week Wednesday. I might just have something in my car if you want to use it :)

Still TBC although of course I'd love to see you anyway! And eeeek, you've just scared the living carp out of me - I'll look, but I doubt if I'll touch.

keep it simple 02-16-2014 01:20 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by larryace (Post 1231160)
Andy you have no generator? I have well water so I NEED a generator. It's just a portable 7500 watt affair but it's worth it's weight in gold when the lights go out. I find it hard to believe that you didn't have one installed. A nice automatic transfer switch and a permanently installed tank of LP gas to power it would be just the ticket.

Larry, I'm reading this now because my power has only just been reinstated after 30 hours cut off. Another frigging storm on Friday brought some big trees down on the power lines. It's taken a while to fix as the damage was extensive. Looking into a generator on Monday :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 1231240)
I'll look, but I doubt if I'll touch.

Oh, you should, you should.

PQleyR 02-16-2014 02:02 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Here in Godalming there was power out for about 17 hours, 10,500 homes without power apparently.

keep it simple 02-16-2014 09:26 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PQleyR (Post 1231454)
Here in Godalming there was power out for about 17 hours, 10,500 homes without power apparently.

you escaped that though Ben?

Hey, would be a bummer mid gig eh!

Mad About Drums 02-16-2014 11:06 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1231513)
Hey, would be a bummer mid gig eh!

It would be a very long drum solo... :)

jonescrusher 02-16-2014 11:47 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by banshees nut (Post 1231159)
It has been a wild winter so far, luckily in Scotland the flooding hasn't been so bad this year, usually Elgin and last year Stonehaven were badly flooded but at last the councils dregged rivers etc in preparation for this winter.

I am a little tired of marketing people encouraging us to think that it is just climate change, sometimes it is a colddry frosty winter then the media say it is climate change, then it is a mild but very wet winter, again climate change. The bad news is mother nature is a lot stronger than mankind will ever be, I agree we have a resonsibility but media and marketing is so tiresome.

The worst thing about all of this is the people in the flooded areas left for weeks and weeks with no assistance at all, actually some companies are making money by having to distribute things to temporary addresses etc.

There are certain counties and lots of building plots in England where before the 1960s were commonly known for being flooded every year. They built houses and put short term temporary structures to prevent the flooding and sell the houses. The last 10 years or so these places have been flooded almost every year and it is now building up and flowing into new areas. Very tough on the people there.

Media and marketing? More about a warming Arctic changing the behaviour of the Jet Stream. That's what's connecting the extreme weather in California, the East Coast and UK.

PQleyR 02-16-2014 12:07 PM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1231513)
you escaped that though Ben?

No, power was out here too.

DrumEatDrum 03-01-2014 05:30 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Well, Andy, Mother Nature listened.

Southern California has been hit by a major rain storm.

It's been years since it rained this hard. Given the drought we needed it. But also, given the drought, it's quite a shock the land scape. Clog drained everywhere, mud slides, and slick roads.

Magenta 03-01-2014 09:15 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
I'm glad your drought has been broken, but it sounds pretty extreme.

keep it simple 03-01-2014 09:25 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum (Post 1236080)
Well, Andy, Mother Nature listened.

Southern California has been hit by a major rain storm.

It's been years since it rained this hard. Given the drought we needed it. But also, given the drought, it's quite a shock the land scape. Clog drained everywhere, mud slides, and slick roads.

As always, stuff balances out, but never according to the wishes of most. I suspect SoCal needs persistent rain over the next few months, not a one off rain storm. Not quite as persistent as we had though. Our ground water systems are completely full for the first time in decades. Literally, ground water levels are at the surface!

Midnite Zephyr 03-02-2014 01:17 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonescrusher (Post 1231527)
Media and marketing? More about a warming Arctic changing the behaviour of the Jet Stream. That's what's connecting the extreme weather in California, the East Coast and UK.

Yes, I was listening to a lady on the Coast to Coast radio show who explained this jet stream behavior (behaviour). She said the warming arctic slows down the jet stream and makes it more wavy. That in turn, makes weather slow down and create these polar vortexes that dive deep into the mid-latitudes. The result in N America made for one of the coldest winters in the East while we in the West had a long dry spell. So I'd imagine that's also why Greenland is getting greener and Great Britain is being soaked night and day. I don't know what the jet stream looks like over there.

MrInsanePolack 03-02-2014 01:42 AM

Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr (Post 1236304)
Yes, I was listening to a lady on the Coast to Coast radio show who explained this jet stream behavior (behaviour). She said the warming arctic slows down the jet stream and makes it more wavy. That in turn, makes weather slow down and create these polar vortexes that dive deep into the mid-latitudes. The result in N America made for one of the coldest winters in the East while we in the West had a long dry spell. So I'd imagine that's also why Greenland is getting greener and Great Britain is being soaked night and day. I don't know what the jet stream looks like over there.

Don't forget about the ocean currents either. The Gulf Stream crosses the entire ocean as the North Atlantic Drift. The warm water current actually plays a part in the weather in the UK combined with the jet stream. Since the US has Canada above us, the descending dry, cold air creates snow when it meets the wet, warm, north moving air that comes from the Pacific and the Gulf. The moisture passes through the cold air mass as it falls to the ground and we get snow. Being that the UK is an island, they don't have the massive descending dry cold air mass that we do. So their moisture makes it to the ground as rain. This is also why that, even though the UK is at a higher latitude than the US, they generally get much less snow than we do.

I am tired of the cold weather. I am ready for 100+ degree summer weather.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com