DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   UPDATE (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114066)

MaryO 02-04-2014 08:03 PM

UPDATE
 
Thought I would let those of you who give a darn an update on my latest project....

We finally got the new band together last week (Keyboards, guitar, drums, bass and me as vocalist). I was nervous as anything! The first two songs my ears were on fire and must have been red as beets from the nerves...lol. The very first song we did was Come To My Window by Melissa Etheridge which I start out completely accapella! UGH! Nothing like trial by fire.

However I have to say it all worked out really well! Everyone seemed happy with my singing and all 5 of us seemed to get along really well. The plan is to get together again this Sunday (barring snowmageddon that the weathermen are already prediciting!) and work on more new songs.

I'm having a blast. We're working on everything form Sheryl Crow and the aforementioned Melissa Etheridge to the Doobies and Rolling Stones and I'll be singing most of them! While I won't be playing drums in this outfit I do plan to get in some hand percussion, especially on songs like Black Magic Woman that I'm not singing on.

It's really nice because all of the musicians are really experienced...GOOD musicians who have been playing in bands for years (some of them having made a living at it years ago). I figure if I can please them then I must be doing okay. I didn't hear any dogs howling while I sang, anyways...lol.

So for now, I'm singing and working the tamborine and shakers in a band and enjoying my drums as a hobby on the side. But I have to say that many of you were right in saying how much my drumming has helped me in my singing, learning song structure and such. Of course I have to laugh when the others ask me what key that song is in. "How do I know? I'm a drummer!!!!" LOL

I'm hoping to record at the next practice and I'll post something if I do. Thanks to all of you for your support of my singing. I'm really excited about this and can't wait to get out and make some music for other people.

MaryO

Bo Eder 02-04-2014 10:45 PM

Re: UPDATE
 
Nice! Does this mean you won't be playing at all? Has that stopped? I hope not!

I think you might have a chance to do some double drumming here - you could be like the Allman Brothers, or the Grateful Dead!

JustJames 02-05-2014 12:51 AM

Re: UPDATE
 
Well done!

A singer who can shake her tambourine (just this once, not a euphemism) in time with the music...that has to be a rarity.

MaryO 02-05-2014 12:56 AM

Re: UPDATE
 
Thanks guys.

Bo, I'll not be playing drums with this band...at least not now. I feel I need to focus on singing until I get more comfortable with it. But I will be playing at home :).

larryace 02-05-2014 01:28 AM

Re: UPDATE
 
You Diva!

Well I guess I have to watch what I say about singers now lol.

Way 2 go MaryO.

Or should I say Super MaryO lol.

See you're smart. The rest of us dummies are stuck in the back with a half ton of gear to move. You get to flit here, flit there, and walk around like you own the joint. All the while parading your fine self about.

Way2go MaryO

MaryO 02-05-2014 03:09 AM

Re: UPDATE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by larryace (Post 1227426)
You Diva!

Well I guess I have to watch what I say about singers now lol.


Way2go MaryO

Don't worry...I'm still a drummer at heart :).

Anon La Ply 02-05-2014 06:49 AM

Re: UPDATE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryO (Post 1227442)
Don't worry...I'm still a drummer at heart :).

Ha - that's what Karen Carpenter said but hardly anyone believed her. Us drummers do, though. Go for it, Mary - you've got the talent.

Agree with James about tambourine. Strategic tambourine or shakers can give some songs a lift in the solos when one of the rhythm instruments drops out. That way you can put the timing you gained from drumming to good use. Better still, it's hardly anything to carry and shakers won't t affect your new diva status :)

Magenta 02-05-2014 07:45 AM

Re: UPDATE
 
This is great news, I was wondering just the other day how you were getting on. Keep us posted!

keep it simple 02-05-2014 09:59 AM

Re: UPDATE
 
Fabulous news Mary. So pleased this is working in a good direction for you. Did you drop the other band with two girls?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustJames (Post 1227419)
Well done!

A singer who can shake her tambourine (just this once, not a euphemism) in time with the music...that has to be a rarity.

Ha - yes. Never, NEVER give a cowbell to a vocalist!

leanneislearningtodrum 02-06-2014 03:55 AM

Re: UPDATE
 
Hi Mary!
Tambourine is the word that jumped out at me too. I've got a shiny red one that I love, although unfortunately I've moved to an apartment so I can't make use of it (between my dogs and the vibrations from my kick pedal and mini trampoline they put up with enough already!). I'm interested in how you're using it. I recall seeing a singing and drumming vid from you. Any chance of a tambourine vid?
:)ld

MaryO 02-06-2014 03:17 PM

Re: UPDATE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by leanneislearningtodrum (Post 1227858)
Hi Mary!
. Any chance of a tambourine vid?
:)ld

Perhaps somewhere down the road. Unfortunately we've had a slight glitch in the band where the guitarist has to work a lot of OT this month so practices are suspended until March. I guess that gives me several weeks to practice up on our song list and work on my hand percussion skills.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1227516)
Fabulous news Mary. So pleased this is working in a good direction for you. Did you drop the other band with two girls?

Ha - yes. Never, NEVER give a cowbell to a vocalist!

As for the girl band, I ran from that long ago! Lol. And cowbells, I own two of my own...this could get dangerous :).

Croc 02-06-2014 07:03 PM

Re: UPDATE
 
Maybe do like Peter Gabriel did in his Genesis days and put a 20" kick next to the mike stand that you can play for accents!

MaryO 02-06-2014 09:03 PM

Re: UPDATE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Croc (Post 1228060)
Maybe do like Peter Gabriel did in his Genesis days and put a 20" kick next to the mike stand that you can play for accents!

Now there's an idea!

MaryO 02-07-2014 06:48 PM

Re: UPDATE
 
For anyone who is interested....here's my latest singing venture. On my practice list for the new band...can't wait to do it live with them. A little Rolling Stones :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...04092642173067

I had a snow day from work yesterday so this is what happens when I'm left to my own devices :)

Magenta 02-07-2014 07:03 PM

Re: UPDATE
 
Mary, I haven't even finished listening to that, but I HAD to reply - that is FAB, absolutely super! If you can perform like that, in what is (with respect) a lonely and sterile environment, then you are going to BLOW THE SOCKS OFF your audience when you have one!

I've had a lovely day and that has finished it off very nicely thank you.

Oh and if you ever find yourself on the other side of the pond and band-less, give the Singapore Slingbacks a nod, will you?

MaryO 02-07-2014 08:37 PM

Re: UPDATE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 1228422)
Mary, I haven't even finished listening to that, but I HAD to reply - that is FAB, absolutely super! If you can perform like that, in what is (with respect) a lonely and sterile environment, then you are going to BLOW THE SOCKS OFF your audience when you have one!

I've had a lovely day and that has finished it off very nicely thank you.

Oh and if you ever find yourself on the other side of the pond and band-less, give the Singapore Slingbacks a nod, will you?

Thanks, Madge :) And that "lonely and sterile" environment is my basement...lol. But my drums are there so it's no so bad :)

larryace 02-07-2014 10:30 PM

Re: UPDATE
 
May I be the first to request your autograph? Mary, that was awesome. I'm having another wave of impure thoughts over you, thanks for making my day lol. As your confidence grows, your personality is emerging. I really like your voice, and you have soul. Really great girlfriend. There are way less singers than drummers, it seems like singing is your best hand to play. Putting you behind a drumset.....IDK. I think you belong out front. You're hot!

tamadrm 02-07-2014 10:50 PM

Re: UPDATE
 
Ok Lar,down boy..LOL.Mary...REAL nice.Elements of a younger Bonnie Bramlet and some Susan Tedeschi.in your voice,but the end product is all you .Take a listen to both women,as they're some of the best in the Biz.Great song choice also.The song fits your voice.One of my favorite Stones tunes.

You also have some excellent ...stage presence.You LOOK,like a lead singer,without all the extra drama and nonsense,that acompanies so many Divas.

Two last things,.......taking some vocal lessons in person,or online,will strengthen your voice,and maybe help you get more range out of it.They can also help with diaphram breathing and projection.That's not a critique,it's just something to think about.

Lastly,I know some musicians that belong to multiple bands,and play a different instrument in each band,and have a blast doing it.Keep your hand in playing drums...in a live band,if at all possible,as you know,playing with recorded tracks,and playing live,are two different things.Playing live,is where the juice is.Nicely done Mary,I'm a fan......brava!:)

Steve B

MaryO 02-08-2014 01:27 AM

Re: UPDATE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tamadrm (Post 1228501)
Ok Lar,down boy..LOL.Mary...REAL nice.Elements of a younger Bonnie Bramlet and some Susan Tedeschi.in your voice,but the end product is all you .Take a listen to both women,as they're some of the best in the Biz.Great song choice also.The song fits your voice.One of my favorite Stones tunes.

You also have some excellent ...stage presence.You LOOK,like a lead singer,without all the extra drama and nonsense,that acompanies so many Divas.

Two last things,.......taking some vocal lessons in person,or online,will strengthen your voice,and maybe help you get more range out of it.They can also help with diaphram breathing and projection.That's not a critique,it's just something to think about.

Lastly,I know some musicians that belong to multiple bands,and play a different instrument in each band,and have a blast doing it.Keep your hand in playing drums...in a live band,if at all possible,as you know,playing with recorded tracks,and playing live,are two different things.Playing live,is where the juice is.Nicely done Mary,I'm a fan......brava!:)

Steve B

Thanks for the wonderful comparison...it's much more than I would have expected. I'm finding that with the tone of my voice, a lot of the bluesy songs seem to work well with for me so I'm sure I'll be doing more of that.

I'm not sure about about looking like a lead singer but I'm glad you thought so. I'm excited and very nervous about singing in front of an audience for the first time!

As to the singing live, I found that out at our bands first practice...it is quite different. But I pulled it off pretty well and I really liked working through the songs with the band mates so I'm looking forward to working that aspect.

I do plan on getting some lessons in the near future...I just have to find someone to work with. I have been watching a lot of vids and reading a lot of articles on tips for singers for now and picking up a few things where I can.

I do want to keep working with my drums. I'm not sure about two bands, one is enough for me to handle right now, but who knows in the future :)

Thanks for your time to listen and all the great advice!


Quote:

Originally Posted by larryace (Post 1228495)
May I be the first to request your autograph? Mary, that was awesome. I'm having another wave of impure thoughts over you, thanks for making my day lol. As your confidence grows, your personality is emerging. I really like your voice, and you have soul. Really great girlfriend. There are way less singers than drummers, it seems like singing is your best hand to play. Putting you behind a drumset.....IDK. I think you belong out front. You're hot!


Larry, the funny thing is I feel more comfortable singing than I do behind the kit. I never thought I'd say that! I just feel like I'm abandoning my first love...drumming. And you know theres nothing like a first love! Thanks for the lovely compliments, as well. I love that I could make your day :)

Mad About Drums 02-08-2014 09:33 AM

Re: UPDATE
 
1 Attachment(s)
. . .

keep it simple 02-08-2014 02:04 PM

Re: UPDATE
 
Just listened to your recording Mary. Wow! You look & sound so comfortable, & that really helps push your performance off stage. I think you've stumbled onto a winner here. You're a talent indeed, & I for one can't wait to see a video of your band performance.

Well done that girl - rocking!

P.S. Don't let Larry's "impure thoughts" distract you ;)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com