DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   breaking someone else's gear, feel like a heel (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113621)

The Old Hyde 01-20-2014 02:28 PM

breaking someone else's gear, feel like a heel
 
Last night at practice I broke the bass drum head on the kit that I use in my guitar players basement studio. I really felt bad, its not about the money for the head, but I just hate to damager something someone else owns. And while moving the throne to take the head off, I spilled my beer on the floor. it was just one thing after another. he is so nice and so laid back, it made it worse like kicking his puppy or something. funny thing was I wasn't playing hard, and when I switched the batter and the reso, the reso WAS a batter head so I wonder if he had them wrong, I didn't look?

keep it simple 01-20-2014 04:00 PM

Re: breaking someone elses gear, feel like a heel
 
Hmmm, sense of duty says replace the head, even if 99% of the wear was already there, or if he's used a reso as a batter. Any offset in blame equity makes up for the spilt beer & animal abuse :)

Magenta 01-20-2014 04:21 PM

Re: breaking someone elses gear, feel like a heel
 
It sounds more like bad luck that you broke it, rather than carelessness, so I'm glad he was ok about it. Stuff happens.

The Old Hyde 01-20-2014 04:26 PM

Re: breaking someone elses gear, feel like a heel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 1221882)
It sounds more like bad luck that you broke it, rather than carelessness, so I'm glad he was ok about it. Stuff happens.

yeah, there is another drummer that plays the kit. so it was just worn out I guess, I thought I broke the spring on the pedal because it got stuck going through the head. ill make it right but I felt really bad, the spilled beer just compounded everything.

keep it simple 01-20-2014 04:28 PM

Re: breaking someone elses gear, feel like a heel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Old Hyde (Post 1221886)
yeah, there is another drummer that plays the kit. so it was just worn out I guess, I thought I broke the spring on the pedal because it got stuck going through the head. ill make it right but I felt really bad, the spilled beer just compounded everything.

& we just gloss over the gross defenceless animal abuse?

The Old Hyde 01-20-2014 04:34 PM

Re: breaking someone elses gear, feel like a heel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1221888)
& we just gloss over the gross defenceless animal abuse?

that sheep was coming on to ME!

MaryO 01-20-2014 04:35 PM

Re: breaking someone elses gear, feel like a heel
 
Well there wasn't any actual puppy abuse. But the spilt beer??? THAT, my friends, is the real tragedy here...

Magenta 01-20-2014 04:36 PM

Re: breaking someone elses gear, feel like a heel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Old Hyde (Post 1221886)
the spilled beer just compounded everything.

That is unforgivable. What a waste!

The Old Hyde 01-20-2014 04:38 PM

Re: breaking someone elses gear, feel like a heel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 1221894)
That is unforgivable. What a waste!

I will mention it was a new beer too, 90% of it on the floor under the PA board!

Magenta 01-20-2014 04:38 PM

Re: breaking someone elses gear, feel like a heel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Old Hyde (Post 1221892)
that sheep was coming on to ME!

I didn't realise you are Welsh!

Sorry if there are consecutive posts, editing is tricky on a phone when you have fat fingers.

IDDrummer 01-20-2014 04:41 PM

Re: breaking someone elses gear, feel like a heel
 
I broke the bass drum head on a kit I used to rehearse on at a church. I felt particularly bad, as I wasn't even a member of the church! All my bandmates were members, and we had permission to use the kit and PA. I knew I hadn't done anything wrong, but still...

I replaced the batter head, tuned up and cleaned the whole kit, and everyone was happy.

The only other time I broke a bass drum head was when I broke the beater off and the shaft went through the head, but luckily both the pedal and drum were mine.

IDDrummer 01-20-2014 04:42 PM

Re: breaking someone elses gear, feel like a heel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Old Hyde (Post 1221897)
I will mention it was a new beer too, 90% of it on the floor under the PA board!

There's the real tragedy. Just imagine if it was whisky! Unbearable.

The Old Hyde 01-20-2014 04:44 PM

Re: breaking someone elses gear, feel like a heel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 1221898)
I didn't realise you are Welsh!

.

ok im going to try this out...HAGA!!

Magenta 01-20-2014 04:48 PM

Re: breaking someone elses gear, feel like a heel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Old Hyde (Post 1221903)
ok im going to try this out...HAGA!!

Perfect accent and timing - well done, sir!

Bo Eder 01-20-2014 07:39 PM

Re: breaking someone elses gear, feel like a heel
 
Yeah, feel bad and replace the head. I slipped and fell moving an amplifier and dropped the amp on this guy's little baby Taylor acoustic guitar. I replaced it. Done story.

tamadrm 01-20-2014 11:14 PM

Re: breaking someone elses gear, feel like a heel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Old Hyde (Post 1221897)
I will mention it was a new beer too, 90% of it on the floor under the PA board!

A clear cut case of alcohol abuse ladies and gentleman.The situation has an easy remedy.

1) apologize
2)wipe up spill
3)replace drum head
4)buy more beer

You're once again....golden.:)

Steve B

The Old Hyde 01-21-2014 12:04 AM

Re: breaking someone else's gear, feel like a heel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1221943)
Yeah, feel bad and replace the head. I slipped and fell moving an amplifier and dropped the amp on this guy's little baby Taylor acoustic guitar. I replaced it. Done story.

yeah i will buy him a new one, he said no but its the principle of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamadrm (Post 1222003)
A clear cut case of alcohol abuse ladies and gentleman.The situation has an easy remedy.

1) apologize
2)wipe up spill
3)replace drum head
4)buy more beer

You're once again....golden.:)

Steve B

ok make me feel bad, .....he cleaned up the beer!!!

I did number 1, and ..that was all so far.

Reggae_Mangle 01-24-2014 10:15 AM

Re: breaking someone else's gear, feel like a heel
 
A series of unfortunate events. Two to be precise. Buy him a new head and you're good. Fit it in the right way and explain to him about the batter and reso placement and you're a best pal. Take beer with you when you go over and you're golden.

The Old Hyde 01-24-2014 02:28 PM

Re: breaking someone else's gear, feel like a heel
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggae_Mangle (Post 1223284)
A series of unfortunate events. Two to be precise. Buy him a new head and you're good. Fit it in the right way and explain to him about the batter and reso placement and you're a best pal. Take beer with you when you go over and you're golden.

This Sunday im bring all new batter heads for the whole kit. He doesn't know, im sure he would tell me not to but its the right thing to do. as far as beer.........im still stealing his from the Marshal beer fridge hahahahah

Smoke 01-24-2014 03:42 PM

Re: breaking someone else's gear, feel like a heel
 
We still haven't rectified the alcohol abuse, and I fear it's too late.

Proper decorum suggests that you should have lapped up the spilt beer or at least squeezed the beer out of the rag and into a cup! At the very least, you could have encouraged his puppy to do the clean-up, rather than have the beer go to waste.

You haven't mentioned the beer brand/style - some canned light beers should be mopped up with a rag. So maybe there was no foul.

The Old Hyde 01-24-2014 04:01 PM

Re: breaking someone else's gear, feel like a heel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoke (Post 1223335)
We still haven't rectified the alcohol abuse, and I fear it's too late.

Proper decorum suggests that you should have lapped up the spilt beer or at least squeezed the beer out of the rag and into a cup! At the very least, you could have encouraged his puppy to do the clean-up, rather than have the beer go to waste.

You haven't mentioned the beer brand/style - some canned light beers should be mopped up with a rag. So maybe there was no foul.

It was a honey brown ale. I cant recall the brand, Killians maybe? he really likes having a ton of selection so the brands are constantly rotating in the fridge. I usually stick to the bud lite but its his wifes so I feel bad about drinking it all. sunday if I remember ill take a pic of the inside of the fridge.

BacteriumFendYoke 01-26-2014 04:46 AM

Re: breaking someone else's gear, feel like a heel
 
No wonder beer was spilled. The mere mention of Bud Light caused the alcohol to admit that it could no longer cope with this World.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com