DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Your Gear (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Why I play the Breakbeats! (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113359)

Bo Eder 01-12-2014 04:32 AM

Why I play the Breakbeats!

2 Attachment(s)
So I actually had a rehearsal today with one of my choir bands today and took the Ludwig Breakbeats out for a spin. I knew it'd be perfect for quickie rehearsals and quiet gigs - I got the whole thing into the front cab of my Ford F-150 truck! My truck is not an extra cab and I managed to get all the hardware, cymbals, and two toms behind the seat, and the bass drum and snare drum sat in the passenger seat. For the front seat I have the lid from an 18" fiber case I don't use and some cardboard to keep the bass drum from digging into the seat material.

It's awesome to be able to leave it in the cab, and lock the truck so I can run into a restaurant for lunch!

When I use my regular-sized Ludwig Classic maple kit, when that whole thing is cased up with all the hardware, it just about takes up the entire bed are of the truck (I also carry a Rock n Roller cart I've been using for 20 years now - I don't break it down, it stays open full size). And I can't leave the truck unattended, either.

But the Breakbeats are perfect for transport and sounded surprisingly like drums today. Here's a couple of pictures of how everything gets stored:

GRUNTERSDAD 01-12-2014 04:36 AM

Re: Why I play the Breakbeats!

I would not want to ride in there with all of those possible missiles flying around in case of an accident

bobdadruma 01-12-2014 04:38 AM

OK, you are a drummer and you don't own an extended cab pickup truck???
Shame on you!!!
By the way, I think that your red cymbal bag looks gay :)
You know of course that I am messing with your mind. Right?
And Grunt; Don't worry, the airbags will save the drums in the event of a collision.

sonnygrabber 01-12-2014 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1218619)
.... and sounded surprisingly like drums today.:

Funny, that. Especially considering they look like drums too, just smaller.

And yeah, shame about that cymbal case.

lsits 01-12-2014 05:00 AM

I've put my five-piece Stage Custom (with the 22" bass drum) inside my Nissan Frontier crew cab. The only thing was I couldn't take my hardware case. I had to put the stands loose on the floor of the back seat. Also couldn't fit the Rock 'N' Roller cart.

I'd much rather use the bed of the truck, bring the cart, and get everything all in one trip. If I want something to eat, I'll use the drive-through. If the weather starts to turn bad I know that there's enough room in the cab for the drums.

Bo Eder 01-12-2014 08:05 AM

Wow. Tough crowd.

I'll have you know that cymbal bag was actually a beautiful burgundy at some time a little over 20 years ago. There's a matching stick bag that goes with it. Heavy stuff that solid leather ;)

Dre25 01-12-2014 08:28 AM

I thought you played them because your wife told you to buy them.

I played one the other day btw. Is it a 13" floor tom they have? Was kinda fun.

Bo Eder 01-12-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dre25 (Post 1218698)
I thought you played them because your wife told you to buy them.

I played one the other day btw. Is it a 13" floor tom they have? Was kinda fun.

Well that too. But she knew (after seeing my enjoyment with the Sonor Safari's) that having a little kit makes sense with what I do, meaning that for about six months of out of the year I'm throwing the kit in the truck and rushing off to go play somewhere. And I guess she noticed that packing the big Ludwig kit for quiet little rehearsals, at my age, is making less and less sense these days. And she's usually right ;)

And yes, it's a 13x13 floor tom, which I'm totally diggin' because a 14x14 would not fit behind the seat!

I did put a coated ambassador on the snare, but so far I've been using the stock heads and it's been ok. The toms have Remo UT pinstripes and the bass drum has that Remo UT Powerstroke 3 type head, and just generic reso heads. I have this feeling if I put coated emperors on the toms and a real PS3 on the bass drum, with appropriate reso heads on all the drums, it might sound outstanding.

keep it simple 01-12-2014 10:07 AM

So, from this thread, we deduce;

1/ a pickup truck is crap for carrying normal drum kits
2/ airbags are good news for drums
3/ anything leather automatically opens up Breakbeat Mountain accusations

;)

bobdadruma 01-12-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1218694)
Wow. Tough crowd.

I'll have you know that cymbal bag was actually a beautiful burgundy at some time a little over 20 years ago. There's a matching stick bag that goes with it. Heavy stuff that solid leather ;)

A matching stick bag too, OMG! It's all about the accessories. :)

BacteriumFendYoke 01-12-2014 04:28 PM

It's a good thing you can put the seat that far forward and still drive, Bo!

I'll get my coat...

keep it simple 01-12-2014 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdadruma (Post 1218757)
A matching stick bag too, OMG! It's all about the accessories. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke (Post 1218771)
It's a good thing you can put the seat that far forward and still drive, Bo!

I'll get my coat...

Bo is so wishing he didn't start this thread ;)

GRUNTERSDAD 01-12-2014 04:46 PM

Long Live SUV's with the fold down rear seat.

Breakbeat Mountain......just lovely, lol

Bo Eder 01-12-2014 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1218777)
Bo is so wishing he didn't start this thread ;)

Like I said, tough crowd. Good thing I can play.

keep it simple 01-12-2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1218802)
Good thing I can play.

Wooooooooooo - get you ;)

bobdadruma 01-12-2014 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1218802)
Good thing I can play.

I will give you that :)

Mad About Drums 01-12-2014 07:06 PM

The leather seats of the pickup truck do not even match the cymbal and stick bags... ridiculous...

Bo Eder 01-12-2014 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad About Drums (Post 1218863)
The leather seats of the pickup truck do not even match the cymbal and stick bags... ridiculous...

Even more ridiculous: the seats aren't leather (OMG!)

Actually, my brother owned an old Porsche with black leather seats, and after driving around in that thing on a hot summer day in SoCal with the roof off, I'm not a big fan of sitting on leather!

robthetimekeeper 01-12-2014 08:27 PM

Don't listen to these people! That cymbal bag is absolutely fabulous!! This is 2014 and nobody should feel ashamed of having a flamboyant sense of style!!!

I'm glad to see that the steering wheel is on the correct side of the truck! :)
I love watching your videos but I always feel like I'm watching in a mirror.

I owned two F150s in my life. Both were very reliable vehicles. However, I could never put anything behind the seat because of the huge speaker cabs I put back there.

Bo Eder 01-12-2014 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthetimekeeper (Post 1218891)
Don't listen to these people! That cymbal bag is absolutely fabulous!! This is 2014 and nobody should feel ashamed of having a flamboyant sense of style!!!

I'm glad to see that the steering wheel is on the correct side of the truck! :)
I love watching your videos but I always feel like I'm watching in a mirror.

I owned two F150s in my life. Both were very reliable vehicles. However, I could never put anything behind the seat because of the huge speaker cabs I put back there.

Thanks for the kind words! Actually, I never thought burgundy leather was flamboyant. The only choices you had back then were natural, black, and burgundy. And all the people I knew had natural or black, so I thought I'd stand out a bit.

keep it simple 01-12-2014 09:15 PM

Actually, I rather like the leather cymbal bag. A matching set of drum cases would be very cool. Kinda expensive though, & I'd still sound like me ;)

bobdadruma 01-12-2014 09:26 PM

Please, don't give Bo any ideas :)

Bo Eder 01-12-2014 09:41 PM

I have a matching set of those plastic black drum cases already ;)

drumdevil9 01-12-2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1218703)

I did put a coated ambassador on the snare, but so far I've been using the stock heads and it's been ok. The toms have Remo UT pinstripes and the bass drum has that Remo UT Powerstroke 3 type head, and just generic reso heads. I have this feeling if I put coated emperors on the toms and a real PS3 on the bass drum, with appropriate reso heads on all the drums, it might sound outstanding.

I'm sure it would make quite a noticeable difference, especially on the bass. Those imitation Powerstrokes don't sound good to me. I had one on my Club Date and it was just awful. As soon as I put on the real thing, there was the sound. Toms you can get away with but you might as well pull as much tone out of them as you can with some quality heads. Nice little kit.

The only heads I get lazy about changing are snare side heads. I should do it though.

wildbill 01-13-2014 03:10 AM

You'd better put the seat belt on those front seat drums.
Otherwise Mr. Snare might meet Mr. Windshield.

How come you have a purse attached to your cymbal bag?

DancingMadlyBackwards 01-13-2014 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildbill (Post 1219001)
You'd better put the seat belt on those front seat drums.
Otherwise Mr. Snare might meet Mr. Windshield.

How come you have a purse attached to your cymbal bag?

That is for accessories!...don't you know anything? ;-) I can't have anything like that around here or my wife or daughters might appropriate it....it looks close enough to a beach or hoochie mama type bag.

bobdadruma 01-13-2014 03:41 AM

Bo, my apologies, it started as a harmless joke about your red leather cymbal bag. I never meant it to go this far and possibly scar you for the rest of your life.
I do think that you should get shoes to match it though :)

wildbill 01-13-2014 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingMadlyBackwards (Post 1219009)
That is for accessories!...don't you know anything? ;-) I can't have anything like that around here or my wife or daughters might appropriate it....it looks close enough to a beach or hoochie mama type bag.

Ya - you could fit a lot of lipstick in there.

(Just kidding you Bo - you can take a joke, right?)

Bo Eder 01-13-2014 08:21 AM

The cool thing with the large pocket on the cymbal bag is that I've eliminated using the stick bag. That pocket is holding five pairs of sticks, tymp mallets, brushes, spare hi hat clutch and beater, and a couple of drum keys.

I remind you guys this is a rehearsal kit, so alot of the main stuff I would normally use goes out with the big Ludwig kit. The whole premise is to have a kit I could throw in the cab of the truck and make a rehearsal - hence why I've not yet changed out all the heads at all.

But I'm not scarred by this whole episode, really. I do like the Revlon lipstick line, though ;)

sonnygrabber 01-13-2014 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1219094)

But I'm not scarred by this whole episode, really. I do like the Revlon lipstick line, though ;)

Revlon is my favourite! And I know for a fact that they have a shade exactly like that cymbal case. ;P

keep it simple 01-13-2014 11:16 AM

I think the problem is an open bed pickup truck, not the size of kit. Just curious Bo, what do you use the bed of a pickup truck for hauling usually besides drums?

Mad About Drums 01-13-2014 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I do like the Revlon lipstick line, though ;)

Well, maybe you should get one then Mo :)

Bo Eder 01-13-2014 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1219110)
I think the problem is an open bed pickup truck, not the size of kit. Just curious Bo, what do you use the bed of a pickup truck for hauling usually besides drums?

The usual guy stuff - wood, appliances, motorcycles.....we DIY a lot of stuff around here and having an open bed pickup is more useful. Although I may breakdown one day and get one of those soccer mom minivans......but not yet ;)

IDDrummer 01-13-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdadruma (Post 1219013)
I do think that you should get shoes to match it though :)

A nice pair of captoes in that color would be awesome. Just sayin.

drummerboyfitz 01-13-2014 05:57 PM

I have a question. How did you get white Breakbeats? Re-wrap? Let me know!

Bo Eder 01-13-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drummerboyfitz (Post 1219191)
I have a question. How did you get white Breakbeats? Re-wrap? Let me know!

Nope. Totally stock off the show room floor. Ludwig calls it "white sparkle" although it comes out a little more grey/blue, depending on the lighting. I had wanted the azure blue sparkle when I first saw it, but it didn't really matter.

longgun 01-14-2014 01:17 AM

Quote:

If I remember correctly, didn't you have an older Tama kit in "Lipstick Red"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1219178)
Although I may breakdown one day and get one of those soccer mom minivans......but not yet ;)

Noooooooooo............just get a topper

wildbill 01-14-2014 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1219178)
The usual guy stuff - wood, appliances, motorcycles.....we DIY a lot of stuff around here and having an open bed pickup is more useful. Although I may breakdown one day and get one of those soccer mom minivans......but not yet ;)

After driving a truck for almost forever, I sold my latest one a few months ago and got an SUV. Put a trailer hitch on it the first day I got it home though, in case I still need to do some 'guy stuff' - LOL
Plenty of room inside, for more than just drum stuff, especially with the seats folded down.

Even though it's comfy, it's got AWD, and it gets better gas mileage, it still doesn't feel exactly quite right.
Maybe I'll get used to it though, before it's time to get another vehicle.

IDDrummer 01-14-2014 01:40 AM

Why have we not heard a video of these little babies yet??

Dr_Watso 01-14-2014 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDDrummer (Post 1219356)
Why have we not heard a video of these little babies yet??

Because he already sold them. He only owned them long enough to see if they fit in the truck. Didn't even go to a gig with them.