DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Winter Solstice Today (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112799)

wildbill 12-22-2013 04:40 AM

Winter Solstice Today

Is it being celebrated by anyone else here today?

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0712...ivato_800c.jpg

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap071222.html

opentune 12-22-2013 06:10 AM

Re: Winter Solstice Today

Well, I'm celebrating that its over.
While I like winter as a season, I prefer long days, sunshine, and this is the shortest.

Pocket-full-of-gold 12-22-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildbill (Post 1210507)

No mate. We usually wait until winter to make anything of it.

wildbill 12-22-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opentune (Post 1210536)
Well, I'm celebrating that its over.
While I like winter as a season, I prefer long days, sunshine, and this is the shortest.

The turning point - days get longer from here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold (Post 1210550)
No mate. We usually wait until winter to make anything of it.

Ha ha - Forgot to say Aussies don't count. You guys down there got another half year to go, I guess. So - it's around the summer solstice in Australia?

Pocket-full-of-gold 12-22-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildbill (Post 1210590)
So - it's around the summer solstice in Australia?

Yeah mate. That's how it usually works. :-)

Although, it was yesterday. It's now tomorrow Downunder...........(damn you international date line!!).

wildbill 12-22-2013 09:54 AM

Snow and ice storm up here right now.

But summer's not far away now - LOL.

Bushmanic 12-22-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildbill (Post 1210507)

Yep,my older daughter's birthday! :) Eight years ago it was THE LONGEST day in my life. lol

keep it simple 12-22-2013 08:28 PM

Not celebrated - just marks the beginning of the really shitty weather :( Lighter days are welcome though.

Funny how long the dwell period is before the weather/temperatures catch up to the light hours.

CCdrummer 12-22-2013 09:11 PM

And Thank God for it.

I was getting so sick it being dark when I get to work, and then being dark when I leave. Hardly seeing the sun doe really wear on you after awhile. My plan for retirement is to definitely spend the bulk of the winter months some place WARM.

JustJames 12-22-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildbill (Post 1210590)
The turning point - days get longer from here.

Ha ha - Forgot to say Aussies don't count. You guys down there got another half year to go, I guess. So - it's around the summer solstice in Australia?

No, we're actually six months ahead of you.

This is the 2013 winter solstice, right? It's a distant memory to us. Can barely hear my typing over the roaring of the cicadas.

At least the drop bears sleep a lot during the heat so it's safe to go outside.

Well, safe from drop bears. We still need to watch out for deadly spiders, snakes, crocs, sharks and octopus though.

Magenta 12-22-2013 11:47 PM

It's probably the day of the year I look forward to most. 15 minutes' more daylight a week, countdown to spring. When the ground temperature reaches 6 degrees C, the grass will start growing again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustJames (Post 1210757)
We still need to watch out for deadly spiders, snakes, crocs, sharks and octopus though.

Haga, you've just reminded me of my last holiday in Oz. I texted my brother to report: "There's no water in the pool, there's no water in the bath, there's no water in the loo, and there's only a bleedin' lizard in the bidet."

Anon La Ply 12-23-2013 12:59 AM

Yep, summer solstice here. Always hot at this time. Last night it was still 30C (about 86F) at midnight. Looking forward to autumn!

JustJames 12-23-2013 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magenta (Post 1210770)
Haga, you've just reminded me of my last holiday in Oz. I texted my brother to report: "There's no water in the pool, there's no water in the bath, there's no water in the loo, and there's only a bleedin' lizard in the bidet."

How was the Watney's Red Barrel?

HAGA!

wildbill 12-23-2013 04:36 AM

Well - since there's mostly Australians here, I guess I should have asked if anyone is celebrating the Summer Solstice.

LOL

Anon La Ply 12-23-2013 05:11 AM

Even in this thread you northerners outnumber Aussies 6 to 3. After visiting Europe I'm thrilled to be outnumbered. I will never forget the sight of the hordes pouring into the station at Picadilly circus...