DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Your Gear (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Got a used Club Date SE (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112159)

drumdevil9 11-30-2013 02:11 AM

Got a used Club Date SE
 
I got me a used Club Date SE downbeat kit (12-14-20) in silver sparkle and I must say, it's awesome. I've been interested in these kits ever since they came out in 2012 and I was lucky enough to find and buy the first used one I've seen listed for sale locally. The guy bought them this past summer so they're like new except for a couple of scuffs on the BD hoops and for some odd reason the classic bracket on the Vibraband was switched with a generic bracket. I'm pretty anal about that stuff so I ordered a classic bracket to replace it.

I also ordered the matching 5x14 snare. I really like that Ludwig decided to do something different with the shell (4 ply cherry/gum with birch re-rings) instead of just making a snare out of the same shell as the kit. Shows that they care how the thing sounds as opposed to just making a matching wood snare.

I sold my Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz to buy this kit and as much as I like those kits this is definitely a step or two up. Hardware all around is about the same (except of course for that awful mini-GTS on the Gretsch). If you don't like the center mounted lug then there isn't much I could say to convince you. I personally love the look. The rail mount is very solid and flexible except perhaps in the height department. The Gretsch tom post might beat it for that but it's not a huge deal. The spurs are gull-wing and seem to hold well enough even though I prefer Pearl-style spurs like on the Gretsch. Once again not a deal breaker.

Where the difference is most apparent is the shells. The CD cherry-gum shells are really nice and sound fantastic. The tone (and overtones) of the toms is much more pleasing to the ear. The stock bass drum head is terrible so I'll be more able to assess the sound once I replace it. I'm not worried 'cause I can already hear the potential waiting to get out.

I promise I'll get some pics up tomorrow. I probably won't get to gig these babies until January. Can't wait!

drumdevil9 11-30-2013 02:47 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Here's a stock photo for now. I have the Gibraltar flat base stands which will go great with these. I think this may be my new favorite kit beating out my Renown. Uh oh.

Real pics tomorrow.
https://www.rhythmtraders.com/upload...hm-Traders.jpg

Bo Eder 11-30-2013 04:41 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Congrats! Those are really nice drums. I think what you're liking about it is the 30-degree rounded bearing edges. That has alot to do with the sound. Sometimes a 45-degree bearing edge can't be coaxed to sound like the vintage kits from back in the day.

I was debating getting one of these to be a second kit, but I ended up getting a better primary kit instead ;)

lefty2 11-30-2013 06:12 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Congratulations on the kit. It looks really sweet. Happy playing.

drumdevil9 11-30-2013 06:57 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1202421)
Congrats! Those are really nice drums. I think what you're liking about it is the 30-degree rounded bearing edges. That has alot to do with the sound. Sometimes a 45-degree bearing edge can't be coaxed to sound like the vintage kits from back in the day.

I was debating getting one of these to be a second kit, but I ended up getting a better primary kit instead ;)

The edges are probably a huge factor. Whatever it is, it sounds amazing. Ludwig rocks!

drumdevil9 11-30-2013 06:59 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lefty2 (Post 1202447)
Congratulations on the kit. It looks really sweet. Happy playing.

Thanks, Lefty! It is pretty sweet. Pics coming soon.

bobdadruma 11-30-2013 02:30 PM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Nice score, the new Club Dates are great.

drumdevil9 12-01-2013 05:14 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Okay, here are a few pics. Decided to slap on some EC2s that I already had. Sounds FAT. Got a Powerstroke for the bass drum. Now this puppy is punchy as hell. The last picture showcases the beautiful shell interiors nicely. Totally in love with these drums!

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/12/qav1.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...0/834/7hsf.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/21/qxq3.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/22/rg7y.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...0/812/6pab.jpg

shemp 12-01-2013 05:44 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Very sweet rig....I love the color tone of the interior wood in the shells

drumdevil9 12-01-2013 05:52 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shemp (Post 1202692)
Very sweet rig....I love the color tone of the interior wood in the shells

Yes, me too. It's the cherry wood which is a reddish brown. Looks great on the bass drum hoops too.

shemp 12-01-2013 06:04 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
It's a great color too...the silver sparkle is sweet and works nice against the cherry. I was eyeballing the kit but different color on MF for months.



Quote:

Originally Posted by drumdevil9 (Post 1202697)
Yes, me too. It's the cherry wood which is a reddish brown. Looks great on the bass drum hoops too.


AirborneSFC 12-01-2013 06:11 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Love it! Makes me wish my '67 Club dates were silver sparkle also. Very nice.

drumdevil9 12-01-2013 03:30 PM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AirborneSFC (Post 1202703)
Love it! Makes me wish my '67 Club dates were silver sparkle also. Very nice.

The silver sparkle is very nice and looks better in person. Some of the pics with the flash make it look like grey dots on white. I think if I had bought the kit new I might have picked a different color. Either ruby sparkle or white pearl. But I'm happy with the silver. My least favorite is the olive sparkle but I would have bought it anyway had it been that color. I suspect it looks better in person too.

larryz 12-02-2013 07:50 PM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Yes a beauty. These sound wonderful I agree. Renowns are just as warm but much louder in my opinion. Classy kit !

ANIMALBEATS 12-03-2013 01:58 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Try a flat hi hat stand to finish the look.

v.zarate 12-03-2013 03:29 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
WHOA!!!!

those are badass! im digging the interior on them.

AirborneSFC 12-03-2013 05:10 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Is that a stain on the inside or the natural wood? I have to +1 on how great they look inside.

drumdevil9 12-03-2013 05:41 PM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
I'm not entirely sure if it's stained but there seems to be some kind of finish in there. Doesn't look like raw wood to me.

Yep, a flat hi-hat is in my future. Eventually.

v.zarate 12-04-2013 05:15 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drumdevil9 (Post 1203445)
I'm not entirely sure if it's stained but there seems to be some kind of finish in there. Doesn't look like raw wood to me.

Yep, a flat hi-hat is in my future. Eventually.

hmmm... canw e get a pick of the inside of the kick drum through the port hole?

drumdevil9 12-04-2013 06:11 PM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Sure but it might have to wait til next week. Kit is put away. I think I've seen some pics of the interiors on the net though.

v.zarate 12-05-2013 12:42 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drumdevil9 (Post 1203724)
Sure but it might have to wait til next week. Kit is put away. I think I've seen some pics of the interiors on the net though.

no problemo, when ever you have time! no rush

drumdevil9 12-14-2013 10:06 PM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by v.zarate (Post 1203620)
hmmm... canw e get a pick of the inside of the kick drum through the port hole?

Okay, here you go. Does it look like unfinished cherry?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...0/826/ivd1.jpg

v.zarate 12-14-2013 10:50 PM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
very nice!

does it feel like unfinished cherry? rub your hand on it. looks like there a shine to it next to the drumhead

drumdevil9 12-14-2013 10:53 PM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
I honestly can't tell. I mean, it definitely isn't lacquered but I'm not sure if it may have a sealer type thing. It could just be the bare wood but it's sanded very smooth.

v.zarate 12-14-2013 11:12 PM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drumdevil9 (Post 1207642)
I honestly can't tell. I mean, it definitely isn't lacquered but I'm not sure if it may have a sealer type thing. It could just be the bare wood but it's sanded very smooth.

looks like they put something on it. some of the wood grain looks to dark too be unfinished, the 2 cherry floors i put down before didnt look like that.

whatever it, its a very nice touch on ludwigs part!

do they go well with your A customs in terms of sound?

drumdevil9 12-14-2013 11:55 PM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
I only have one A custom being my 20" Ping Ride. But they are sure to blend well with what I have since it's pretty standard medium weight stuff. I haven't given the kit a proper test drive yet and probably won't until my next gig in January. But I've never been one to worry about cymbals blending. I end up sounding like me.

v.zarate 12-15-2013 12:14 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drumdevil9 (Post 1207665)
I only have one A custom being my 20" Ping Ride. But they are sure to blend well with what I have since it's pretty standard medium weight stuff. I haven't given the kit a proper test drive yet and probably won't until my next gig in January. But I've never been one to worry about cymbals blending. I end up sounding like me.

understood :)

................

drumdevil9 12-22-2013 05:00 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
The crucial decision now is: do I drill for a cymbal mount? I really liked having it on my CCJ and I also have it on my Rocker II but I'm not sure if I want to drill this bass drum. If I do I think I'll get a Ludwig classic bracket to match the others instead of the Gibraltar round bracket. Decisions, decisions...

bobdadruma 12-22-2013 06:49 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
I vote for the ludwig classic bracket. Although... I used two of the Gibraltar brackets on my Club Date SE and they look fine. They are a lot less ching than the Ludwig setup.

drumdevil9 01-10-2014 08:57 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Did my first gig with the CD tonight. I gotta say, it sounded great. I got the snare last weekend just in time for the gig. A drummer friend of mine said it sounded real fat out front and it wasn't mic'ed. Really happy I got it and at $170 was a bargain. Bass drum (was mic'ed) sounded killer with tons of punch and bottom. The toms sounded warm and fat with coated G2s.

I used to be in love with these drums. Now I'm a full blown obsessed stalker. Here's a crappy pic I took before sound check. Took out the Yammy stands tonight. They deserve some action too.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/6/8bge.jpg

A-customs 01-10-2014 12:37 PM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Beautiful kit,love the finish inside and out. Did u find it on the internet or local.

v.zarate 01-10-2014 07:58 PM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
oh my!

.....................

drumdevil9 01-11-2014 02:41 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by A-customs (Post 1217997)
Beautiful kit,love the finish inside and out. Did u find it on the internet or local.

Luckily it was a local find. I wouldn't have gotten it online because it would have probably cost more than I was willing to put on it with shipping and duty. With the money from selling my Catalina plus a small out of pocket expense for the difference ($165) I thought it was well worth it. Of course the snare was an add-on but it's a great sounding snare for the price. I'm very happy with the move overall.

A-customs 01-14-2014 06:00 PM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Just this morning i took the plunge and bought a new Ludwig Cavern Downbeat 3 piece 20,8x12 and a 14.. First Ludwig eve altho i have a few snares....... I can hardly wait.Pics to come!!

drumdevil9 01-14-2014 10:53 PM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Awesome! The Blue Oyster finish? Congrats and yes please post some pics.

v.zarate 01-14-2014 11:53 PM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by A-customs (Post 1219565)
Just this morning i took the plunge and bought a new Ludwig Cavern Downbeat 3 piece 20,8x12 and a 14.. First Ludwig eve altho i have a few snares....... I can hardly wait.Pics to come!!

waiting on pics of the cavern kit

edit: i like this front head

http://media.drumshop.co.uk/uploads/...96BYP/96_f.jpg

drumdevil9 01-15-2014 12:21 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
It's a cool head but it's a bit much. I would probably swap it if I was going to gig with it.

v.zarate 01-15-2014 12:26 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drumdevil9 (Post 1219787)
It's a cool head but it's a bit much. I would probably swap it if I was going to gig with it.

for gigging, yea i agree, but i dont gig much so it would be cool for me to have it on at home all the time.

drumdevil9 01-15-2014 12:30 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Yeah, for a home kit it's cool beans.

A-customs 01-15-2014 07:42 AM

Re: Got a used Club Date SE
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by v.zarate (Post 1219768)
waiting on pics of the cavern kit

edit: i like this front head

http://media.drumshop.co.uk/uploads/...96BYP/96_f.jpg

Waiting on this kit.Saw the finish and i was done.......


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com