DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pedals (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Cleaning pedals. -- what to use/not use? (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112145)

onedudeinca 11-29-2013 05:43 PM

Cleaning pedals. -- what to use/not use?

Hey everyone, I scored iron cobra double bass pedals recently but they appeared really disgusting. Had questions not just about maintenance but how to actually "CLEAN" them:

If i dismantle the pedals, how do you recommend cleaning the footboards and other parts? Will disinfectant wiped be omon some or all parts, or does it ruinanything ( the finish, etc.)? I read one forum actually saying you can soak parts in soapy water then just dry them all off well and then oil/lubricate the necessary parts.

YouTube or other sites do not seem to say much about dthis, other than use a gentle cloth and toothbrush. But this doesn't actually CLEAN them for my case.

Any takers on how to help? Thanks all. :-)

MrInsanePolack 11-29-2013 06:27 PM

Re: Cleaning pedals. -- what to use/not use?

There is a product called "Awesome" that is just that. You can clean just about anything with it, and it is non corrosive. It comes in a clear spray bottle and the liquid is yellow. I used it to clean my vintage Pearl Wood-Fiberglass when I got it, it was covered in 4 decades worth of crud, and is now shiny and pretty again, minus the natural fading of the wrap. My wife buys it at a store called "Deals for a Dollar." I am sure you can pick it up in other places too.

Stay away from WD-40 if you re-lube your pedals. It attracts dirt and will leave you having to re-lube again.

shemp 11-29-2013 07:06 PM

I've used wd-40 on a dw7000 at the shop and my own dw7000 along with several other constant use pedals....I've not experienced any problems or dirt/dust attraction....I use it in my wife's and my beach cruiser bycicles chains again with zero issues....

However, I think it is not the best choice and I've been kinda kicking myself for not digging a little deeper....wd-40 has been a family tool passed down from my grandfather....so it's always been there, not the best choice though.

I'm actually moving over to a special bike chain lube and there is an improvement in performance....so I agree wd-40 is not ideal...but for the worry warts out there like me, I don't it will cause a problem per se

Zickos 11-29-2013 09:49 PM

Another choice if you can still find it is Marvel Mystery Oil. What's in it? I don't know. It's a mystery.

onedudeinca 11-30-2013 12:01 AM

Thanks everyone. So can I use cleaning wipes on the pedals? Should I avoid cleaners containing ammonia, which may ruin the coating? Anything else to avoid as a cleaning agent? Thanks again all

v.zarate 11-30-2013 12:07 AM

i wonder if you can cover/tape up the bearings and spray the suckers own with simple green? then hose them down without getting water near the bearings. then gentle wd40 the chain/bearing, just enough to get everything moving slowly and none on your shoes when your playing...

its possible but ive never done it, if i need to i would do this or maybe a wet rage to get the simple green off. rinsing the rage off of course every few mintues

beyondbetrayal 11-30-2013 06:18 PM

silicon oil in the bearings. its pretty much the same as the "ninja oil" pearl give out

i would never use wd-40 in the joints bearings as its a cleaning product and not really a lube. but this is always argued...

I have had my pedals last me years and have never used WD though..

CheeseCake95 12-08-2013 07:33 AM

not sure if this helps but I generally use a crunched up ball of aluminium foil, water, house-hold detergent, cloth and some time to scrub those suckers... That on old pedals
I still struggle to do so on my demons as the surface is so smooth and seemed it need more than a scrub to rid some dirt.