DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   US geography as done by the Brits (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112082)

MrInsanePolack 11-27-2013 10:02 AM

US geography as done by the Brits
 
I saw this and had to share it. Definitely good for a laugh. And to all the Brits, don't feel bad. Most of our own citizens can't fill the map out either.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/it...el-the-us-stat

I imagine it would be about the same if we in the US tried to label a map of Europe.

Naigewron 11-27-2013 10:12 AM

Re: US geography as done by the Brits
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack (Post 1201587)
I imagine it would be about the same if we in the US tried to label a map of Europe.

...and Europe isn't even a country. How about labelling a map of the UK or any other country outside the US? :-)

I could probably correctly place about 10 states in the US (maybe not even that), mostly through either having been there or because the state is well-known through some sort of media (movie, TV show, book, etc). I can't remember ever being taught about US states in school, which makes sense. Geographically there's no reason to know more about US states than the states or counties of any other country.

MrInsanePolack 11-27-2013 10:24 AM

Re: US geography as done by the Brits
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naigewron (Post 1201589)
...and Europe isn't even a country. How about labelling a map of the UK or any other country outside the US? :-)

I could probably correctly place about 10 states in the US (maybe not even that), mostly through either having been there or because the state is well-known through some sort of media (movie, TV show, book, etc). I can't remember ever being taught about US states in school, which makes sense. Geographically there's no reason to know more about US states than the states or counties of any other country.

That's what I find funny about it. Why would anyone outside the US know where the states are on a map? Like I said, people here can't even do it.

I said Europe and not the UK, as the number of states is closer to the number of countries in Europe as opposed to the 4 in the UK.

Reggae_Mangle 11-27-2013 03:24 PM

Re: US geography as done by the Brits
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naigewron (Post 1201589)
...and Europe isn't even a country.

Hahahahaha, oh my Gawd :)

Zickos 11-27-2013 09:29 PM

Re: US geography as done by the Brits
 
The big challenge would be to name the countries in Africa. Most of those have changed since I was in high school. I'm not sure Africa was here when I was in high school. After all, that was a long time ago.

Midnite Zephyr 11-28-2013 03:19 AM

Re: US geography as done by the Brits
 
I can easily fill out most of the entire globe except some of Africa and a couple "stan" countries. I like maps. I see everyone knows California. At least they know what is important. Haha!

IDDrummer 11-28-2013 03:37 AM

Re: US geography as done by the Brits
 
When I was preparing to move from the east coast to Idaho, most people I talked to thought Idaho was in the midwest. Even after I got here, some of my friends back east asked me how I liked the midwest.

I always answered, it looked nice enough as I drove through it.

Don't even get me started on how many Idahoans don't know where various states and European countries are.

It's funny and sad all at once.

Pocket-full-of-gold 11-28-2013 03:46 AM

Re: US geography as done by the Brits
 
No bloody wonder nobody can place them all. Way too many states to begin with. So many in fact, that you've even managed to confuse yourselves in the process.

Look at Oz. A landmass only slightly smaller than mainland USA (not including Alaska), yet we only have 6 states and 2 territories. Even our imbeciles can fill out one of our maps. :-)

MrInsanePolack 11-28-2013 06:45 AM

Re: US geography as done by the Brits
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold (Post 1201845)
No bloody wonder nobody can place them all. Way too many states to begin with.

That is our history's fault. We didn't just show up and acquire all this land. The east coast states are all weird looking because the US only went as far west as the Appalachian mountains at first. As we spread west the boundaries were along rivers and mountain ranges and stuff. Once the country was past the Mississippi river, they started to become subdivided as squares.

California isn't square because it was a disconnected state. It precedes the square state era. There was gold there so we had to have it. We acquired it from Mexico.

Texas isn't square because it was part of Mexico and broke off. It was its own independent territory for a while. I don't remember exactly Texas's whole story.

I have no idea why Idaho looks like it does.

This map might make it easier to understand:
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/histo...n_shepherd.jpg

Anon La Ply 11-28-2013 07:55 AM

Re: US geography as done by the Brits
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold (Post 1201845)
No bloody wonder nobody can place them all. Way too many states to begin with. So many in fact, that you've even managed to confuse yourselves in the process.

Look at Oz. A landmass only slightly smaller than mainland USA (not including Alaska), yet we only have 6 states and 2 territories. Even our imbeciles can fill out one of our maps. :-)

But they have 10x Australia's population so if they followed our proportions they'd have 80 states!

I would have been pretty useless with that (maybe improved a bit after this thread) but probably better than most Americans would be at identifying Australian states and territories. I would be hopeless with Britain - all I know is England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales :)

shemp 11-28-2013 09:01 AM

Re: US geography as done by the Brits
 
Gee, when I think of Australia the last thing that comes to mind is States....I would not know where to begin....

But I would be able to hunt down some BEEAH, put some mig-nons on the Barbie and then head out to find me a kangaroo to wrastle

Once that was done I'd go find me where Chris Brady's shop is and check out some snare drums

Pocket-full-of-gold 11-28-2013 09:09 AM

Re: US geography as done by the Brits
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shemp (Post 1201921)
Once that was done I'd go find me where Chris Brady's shop is and check out some snare drums

Believe it or not, they're cheaper where you live.

Midnite Zephyr 11-28-2013 09:56 AM

Re: US geography as done by the Brits
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack (Post 1201895)
That is our history's fault. We didn't just show up and acquire all this land. The east coast states are all weird looking because the US only went as far west as the Appalachian mountains at first. As we spread west the boundaries were along rivers and mountain ranges and stuff. Once the country was past the Mississippi river, they started to become subdivided as squares.

California isn't square because it was a disconnected state. It precedes the square state era. There was gold there so we had to have it. We acquired it from Mexico.

Texas isn't square because it was part of Mexico and broke off. It was its own independent territory for a while. I don't remember exactly Texas's whole story.

I have no idea why Idaho looks like it does.

This map might make it easier to understand:
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/histo...n_shepherd.jpg

Back in the day, they surveyed land using the metes and bounds method. Most real estate in the original 13 US colonies and in several of the other early states was surveyed with the Metes and Bounds surveying system.

Sometime in the 1800's, as the land grew flatter, somewhere in Ohio, they started using Townships and Ranges that extended outward in 1 mile increments from the main Baselines and Meridians. This was referred to as the Recorded Plat Survey System. In the urban areas this system further extended itself down to the Lot and Block Survey System, which further extends down to individual tracts and parcels. California is interesting because the individual Spanish Rancho lines were left in tact and not described by using townships and ranges and a baseline/meridian.

Idaho has an interesting history as far as its name goes. It was actually made up by a politician. My uncle told me this, but here is a webpage that will tell you the same.

Idaho is an invented word! Mining lobbyist George M. Willing presented the name "Idaho" to congress for a new territory around Pike's Peak, claiming it was a Shoshone Indian word meaning "Gem of the Mountains." By the time the deception was discovered, the name "Idaho" was already in common use.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com