DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heads and Sticks (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Emperor Hazy? (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111979)

rocket_man21 11-23-2013 12:20 AM

Emperor Hazy?

Anyone use an Emperor Hazy on any of there snares? I just bought one to try out and would like some feedback if there is any
Thanks!

bobdadruma 11-23-2013 12:41 AM

Re: Emperor Hazy?

I never touch the stuff. It's thin 3 mil for me all the way.

IDDrummer 11-23-2013 01:18 AM

I've tried them. To me, they make the drum sound a bit boxy but very solid. I don't recall that they were too insensitive, but I was playing basic rock/pop/country stuff, not anything intricate. I've also tried the Diplomat weight snare head, and I found that to make the drum tone too thin for my liking. If I had to choose between Diplomat and Emperor snare sides, I would choose Emperor, but I still find the best balance to be with a 3 mil head.

Curious to see what your experience is.

rocket_man21 11-23-2013 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDDrummer (Post 1200389)
I've tried them. To me, they make the drum sound a bit boxy but very solid. I don't recall that they were too insensitive, but I was playing basic rock/pop/country stuff, not anything intricate. I've also tried the Diplomat weight snare head, and I found that to make the drum tone too thin for my liking. If I had to choose between Diplomat and Emperor snare sides, I would choose Emperor, but I still find the best balance to be with a 3 mil head.

Curious to see what your experience is.

lets say you have a really ringy snare, even would tuned well, would having the thicker reso control some of that extra ring?

IDDrummer 11-23-2013 03:39 AM

I don't really think so. The snares effectively dampen the reso head, so most "ring" comes from the batter head. This assumes we mean the same thing when we say ring...

rocket_man21 11-23-2013 04:08 AM

that sounds good to me lol that why ive switched to the evan genera or hd dry and i cut some of the muffle ring out it sound great on my other snares, and soon i wanna try the st and st dry out. ive also got a 13x5.5 mapex black panther brass that came with a remo renasaince snare side on it and i was actually really pleased with that head, being thicker and all

porter 11-23-2013 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocket_man21 (Post 1200416)
that sounds good to me lol that why ive switched to the evan genera or hd dry and i cut some of the muffle ring out it sound great on my other snares, and soon i wanna try the st and st dry out. ive also got a 13x5.5 mapex black panther brass that came with a remo renasaince snare side on it and i was actually really pleased with that head, being thicker and all

The Renaissance is a 3mil head. Definitely will dry out some stuff, but I found that it made my snare lack bite.

rocket_man21 11-23-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porter (Post 1200421)
The Renaissance is a 3mil head. Definitely will dry out some stuff, but I found that it made my snare lack bite.

oh nice, i just assumed it was thicker because of the feel and the look of it, it looks like its frosted with some sort of coat, i really have researched them much

porter 11-23-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocket_man21 (Post 1200457)
oh nice, i just assumed it was thicker because of the feel and the look of it, it looks like its frosted with some sort of coat, i really have researched them much

I believe it's some sort of proprietary film, though it could be just a coating. Whatever- they sound nice.

Winston_Wolf 11-25-2013 03:00 PM

I've tried the Evans Glass 500 before, and I just couldn't get the sound I liked out of it. It sounded dull on every drum I tried it on, including my "ringy beast" steel snare.

I'm sure 5-mil snare sides work for some folks, but I'm not one of them.

For me nothing beats a Remo Ambassador Clear no collar or an Aquarian Hi Performance snare side.

I've tried "darker" snare sides, like the Remo Renaissance and the Evans Orchestral 200, and I found they achieve a darker tone without losing sensitivity like the thicker film does. I just prefer the brighter sound of thinner clear film on the bottom and try to get any "darkness" I need through top head selection.