DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Cymbal Art. (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111874)

GRUNTERSDAD 11-19-2013 05:07 AM

Cymbal Art.

1 Attachment(s)
Check out this cymbal art. It is called "Rhythm" by Matt McConnell and it is awesome. See it in person at the Omni hotel in Nashville, TN or see some additional images here:
http://design-milk.com/rhythm-matt-mcconnell

From the Twitter account @sabian_vault

Drumsinhisheart 11-21-2013 11:48 PM

Re: Cymbal Art.

That is incredible.

$$$$$$$$$$

wildbill 11-22-2013 04:11 AM

I have mixed thoughts about it.

Conceptually and aesthetically it works.

It could have been done just as well with some other non-functional metal though, so those cymbals could be used for their intended purpose.

But ya - it looks cool, and would be neat to see in person.

bobdadruma 11-22-2013 04:30 AM

Just as long as I don't have to polish it it is cool :)

Dr_Watso 11-22-2013 04:34 AM

I don't like it. It's not really that aesthetically pleasing, and there are brand new ugly sabian logos on every pie in the "piece". If it could be made into a display to sell cymbals from, that might be interesting, but as "art", it seems kinda lame to me.

MrInsanePolack 11-22-2013 06:46 AM

Art wise, it didn't really speak to me. Drummer wise, I want to make it speak in the worst way...

Anon La Ply 11-22-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildbill (Post 1200091)
I have mixed thoughts about it.

Conceptually and aesthetically it works.

It could have been done just as well with some other non-functional metal though, so those cymbals could be used for their intended purpose.

But ya - it looks cool, and would be neat to see in person.

My thoughts too. Ideally you'd use ZBTs and Pitch Blacks. I wouldn't want to dust it, though.

NikIsBigMeech 12-06-2013 05:18 AM

If somebody could post some cool drum art that's not photography (like paintings, drawings) that'd be awesome

shemp 12-06-2013 05:26 AM

Very unique and interesting....be a shame if the skeletal spine were to fracture, pouring discs onto the floor while I was there with my backpack. (My hacksaw and lock cutter fit in my backpack, ironically, with plenty of space left for round objects up to 18")

Beam Me Up Scotty 12-07-2013 08:25 AM

I really don't see the point. It's a few bars of metal with cymbals all over them. I mean, sure, it's "artistic" in nature, but damn, it's ugly.

longgun 12-08-2013 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anon La Ply (Post 1200153)
My thoughts too. Ideally you'd use ZBTs and Pitch Blacks. I wouldn't want to dust it, though.

+1.....I hate dusting the cymbals on my kit

I think it looks pretty cool........kind of reminds me of a dinosaur skeleton

GRUNTERSDAD 12-08-2013 06:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few different views. One from the lobby of the country Music Hall of Fame.

Anon La Ply 12-09-2013 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longgun (Post 1205224)
+1.....I hate dusting the cymbals on my kit

I think it looks pretty cool........kind of reminds me of a dinosaur skeleton

Some years ago I decided that I never wanted another ornament with crevices or slots - they're dust catchers. As for your cymbals, I suggest playing on them a bit to prevent buildup :)

But yeah, it does has a spinal look about it.

Thanks for the extra perspective, John.

keep it simple 12-09-2013 11:56 AM

FWIW, I like it. Better viewed from a distance, but taken in context with it's surroundings, it works for me.

Arky 12-09-2013 01:56 PM

I can identify it as art but somehow it also seems like a huge waste of material to me. Well compared to what Sabian are putting out it's not worth mentioning but a few dozen people could make nice music with that same amount of cymbals instead of having it hanging on the wall somewhere.

GRUNTERSDAD 12-09-2013 04:09 PM

Sonically they could all be defects. Who knows

keep it simple 12-09-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD (Post 1205679)
Sonically they could all be defects. Who knows

I'm a sonic defect that's been recycled - and I'm referred to as a dinosaur by some (including my daughter), so I have some empathy with this sculpture. I think my wife called me a spineless wall hanging too, some time ago :(