DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electronic Drums (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Roland spd-sx click track issue (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111472)

Boyres 11-02-2013 06:19 PM

Roland spd-sx click track issue

Hi everyone

I'm thinking to get myself a Roland spd-sx in the near future. I only have one question:

Is it possible to make a sub wave with a self made clicktrack and send it to the phones output?
So the main wave goes to the PA and the sub wave to my in ears.

Other solutions are always welcome!

Thanks!

bermuda 11-02-2013 08:12 PM

Re: Roland spd-sx click track issue

The answer is no, and this is one of my biggest issues with the SPD-SX. Why does the unit have 2 sets of stereo outs, with pads that will trigger 2 sounds, yet both sounds have to come out of the same designated outs? The sounds can't be split!

Well, there is a workaround if you have pads to spare: you can link one pad to another. That is, you strike one pad, it plays its sound, and at the same time it triggers a linked pad that plays its sound. You can send the first pad sounds to one set of outs, and the linked pad sound (your click) to the other. Or in your case, the phones.

It seems like a simple fix for Roland though. The fact that there are 2 sets of outs, and a pad will trigger 2 sounds, but the sounds only go to one set, is kinda shortsighted IMO. I wrote to Tim Root a while back, he's got the ear of the techs in Japan. Maybe there'll be a firmware update down the line?

I have a few issues with this unit, Roland got so close to being truly pro (even the Alesis SamplePad has it beat in some ways.) But, it does what it does well enough. With a few concessions, I made it work for touring purposes. I suppose Roland's response would be 'if you need it to do more, you probably need a software solution'. They may be right. but I still question why there are hardware aspects to the unit - such as 2 stereo outs - that aren't being utilized to their fullest.

Bermuda

bermuda 11-02-2013 08:23 PM

BTW, I don't want to sell the unit too short, with 2g of ram it really allows you a large amount of sample playback - more than 3 hours of stereo sounds at CD quality. But it's more of a pro-sumer unit, I resent that they call it "pro". I don't hate mine, but I definitely settled when I got it.

Bermuda

Boyres 11-02-2013 09:30 PM

Thanks for the reply! This answer spares a lot of googling for me ;)

Cheers

garethlthomson 07-18-2014 02:51 PM

Bermuda - I just made an account with drummerworld.com so I can say thank you! Your work around has solved so many issues for me. It's amazing how careless Roland was at the making SPDSX a more functional backing track tool. Cheers!

Drumbasta 08-19-2014 10:12 AM

You can also let the backing track/click run through a foot switch by linking footswitch one with footswitch two. That way you still have all your pads available and you also don't run the risk of accidentally hitting the backing track pad during performance.