DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Gear (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Die-cast hoops (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110397)

TColumbia37 09-19-2013 02:40 AM

Die-cast hoops
 
I've decided that I want to get die-cast hoops for my snare to start with, and possibly the rest of my kit in the future.

What I want to ask is if any of you know where I can find good die-cast hoops for a good price. With everywhere I've looked, I can't seem to find a pair of hoops for a snare for under $100. I'd rather not pay that much, but if I have to, I will.

Or maybe I should post in the classifieds? Maybe there's somebody who is willing to part with some they have laying around.

bobdadruma 09-19-2013 04:10 AM

Re: Die-cast hoops
 
Look for used ones on eBay.

zarrdoss 09-19-2013 04:26 AM

Re: Die-cast hoops
 
Good luck, I have never found any good die cast hoops for less than 100 a pair. As stated try e-bay. You can also try s hoops, Slingerland or reverse flange hoops or 3mm triple flange hoops, they're cheaper and kind of in between.

XplosiveDrummer 09-19-2013 04:50 PM

Re: Die-cast hoops
 
T, have you tried die cast hoops personally? I would at least try to hit a drum with one on there before devoting your wallet to them. You may or may not like it. Like bob said, maybe get a used one to see if you like the effect it has on your drum both in feel and especially sound.

IMO and if you're a rim shot drummer, I'd go with a stick saver hoop or a 3.0mm like zarrdoss mentioned. The feel of a rim shot with a die cast may not feel good but with a stick saver you'll wear the stick less in the middle and with the 3.0mm it will give you a little bit more tone control or definition from the added weight.

JosephDAqui 09-19-2013 05:47 PM

Re: Die-cast hoops
 
Just a warning on s-hoops: be careful, I put one on my main snare, and I'm a rim-shot guy - I busted through 3 pairs of Weckl Evolution Vic Firths in one 55 min. show. It may be different for other sticks but depending on how you hit, it will make several stress breaks and eventually split badly. I went to triple flanged in a hurry (previous to the s-hoop, I had a gretsch stick chopper), although I think the slingerland hoops are the best balance for rimshots and saving your sticks. That's been my experience.

TColumbia37 09-20-2013 09:55 PM

Re: Die-cast hoops
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer (Post 1181901)
T, have you tried die cast hoops personally? I would at least try to hit a drum with one on there before devoting your wallet to them. You may or may not like it. Like bob said, maybe get a used one to see if you like the effect it has on your drum both in feel and especially sound.

IMO and if you're a rim shot drummer, I'd go with a stick saver hoop or a 3.0mm like zarrdoss mentioned. The feel of a rim shot with a die cast may not feel good but with a stick saver you'll wear the stick less in the middle and with the 3.0mm it will give you a little bit more tone control or definition from the added weight.

I've never tried them extensively, but I've played on my friend's OCDP snare with die cast hoops. Anyhow, every snare I've heard in person and absolutely loved had die cast hoops. They always give that perfect 'crack' that I like. I may even ask my drum instructor if he has any laying around.

I'm certainly a rim shot guy, but I'm not worried about the 'feel' or the longevity of my sticks. I've never noticed any substantial difference in feel when using die cast, and my sticks already last me longer than I really need them to. I wouldn't complain about the trade off of sticks vs tone.

I'm sure they won't make some monumental difference in my snare sound, but if they give me a better 'crack', then I'd say they're worth it.

Fuo 09-20-2013 10:05 PM

Re: Die-cast hoops
 
You're squandering a perfectly good excuse to buy all new drums ;)

longgun 09-20-2013 10:28 PM

Re: Die-cast hoops
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuo (Post 1182314)
You're squandering a perfectly good excuse to buy all new drums ;)

My thoughts exactly.......................a vintage Gretsch kit with Die-cast hoops sounds great......................but may run a bit more than $100..........unfortunately

XplosiveDrummer 09-20-2013 11:24 PM

Re: Die-cast hoops
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JosephDAqui (Post 1181916)
Just a warning on s-hoops: be careful, I put one on my main snare, and I'm a rim-shot guy - I busted through 3 pairs of Weckl Evolution Vic Firths in one 55 min. show. It may be different for other sticks but depending on how you hit, it will make several stress breaks and eventually split badly. I went to triple flanged in a hurry (previous to the s-hoop, I had a gretsch stick chopper), although I think the slingerland hoops are the best balance for rimshots and saving your sticks. That's been my experience.

Wow, really? Stick saver hoops are not so stick saving after all lol. :)

Could be that there is more surface area of the stick taking punishment because of the hoop being flat, thus causing it to break sooner instead of getting chopped up like it would with standard hoops. Interesting, thanks JosephD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TColumbia37 (Post 1182310)
I've never tried them extensively, but I've played on my friend's OCDP snare with die cast hoops. Anyhow, every snare I've heard in person and absolutely loved had die cast hoops. They always give that perfect 'crack' that I like. I may even ask my drum instructor if he has any laying around.

I'm certainly a rim shot guy, but I'm not worried about the 'feel' or the longevity of my sticks. I've never noticed any substantial difference in feel when using die cast, and my sticks already last me longer than I really need them to. I wouldn't complain about the trade off of sticks vs tone.

I'm sure they won't make some monumental difference in my snare sound, but if they give me a better 'crack', then I'd say they're worth it.

Well then sounds like you know what you're after. Good luck finding what you need T.

Dirtysticks 09-21-2013 06:28 AM

Re: Die-cast hoops
 
You could look for a used drum that already had diecast hoops that cost around $100 or less. I have seen a few snare with diecast hoops use for that, and I have robbed some hoops that way once or twice in the past. Some of the snares I kept for a while with the old hoops, but I eventually I sold them and made most of my money back.

Drumfactorydirect.com has them for about $50 a piece and shipping would be free if you spend over $100.

TColumbia37 09-23-2013 02:24 PM

Re: Die-cast hoops
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuo (Post 1182314)
You're squandering a perfectly good excuse to buy all new drums ;)

Maybe a new snare, at best. I probably need another, anyhow. I just got a new kit. I just want to get that more 'focused' sound

Quote:

Originally Posted by longgun (Post 1182321)
My thoughts exactly.......................a vintage Gretsch kit with Die-cast hoops sounds great......................but may run a bit more than $100..........unfortunately

Yeah, exactly. I already know that I can make my snare sound good. I just want to give it that little extra

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtysticks (Post 1182443)
You could look for a used drum that already had diecast hoops that cost around $100 or less. I have seen a few snare with diecast hoops use for that, and I have robbed some hoops that way once or twice in the past. Some of the snares I kept for a while with the old hoops, but I eventually I sold them and made most of my money back.

Drumfactorydirect.com has them for about $50 a piece and shipping would be free if you spend over $100.

I was thinking that just the other day, right before I spent my hoop money on a $120 metronome. It was probably a better investment, though. Tired of using phone apps and such. That's probably how I'll go about it, though. I've found a few decent snares on Ebay with die cast hoops for $100-$130.

I did find a similar deal, I think at drumbuilder.com. About $50 a piece, and I think they have the same shipping deal.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com