DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Your Playing (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   New Video (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110355)

*JOHN FAVICCHIA * 09-17-2013 01:59 PM

New Video
 
Hey everyone-

Just posted another vid-


This is one of the tunes I wrote to play at my drum clinics. Its a crazy song/exercise in playing kicks with the band. After writing the Ensemble playing section of my Elements Book (Page 32) I thought it would be fun to have a song that demos Ensemble playing..


http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9gOwRX5Pw9o

gretsch-o-rama 09-18-2013 05:58 PM

Re: New Video
 
Hi John- I can really appreciate how much time and dedication you've put into your playing and I totally commend you for that, it's a hard thing to do. And I don't mean to detract from your playing because it's great, but if I could offer a friendly critique it would be this. Your playing seems really "licky" and what I mean by that is somehow you seem to demonstrate every lick Ive ever seen or heard all within a few minute video. I don't really have any solutions to offer you if you do want to change that but I just thought Id offer you my opinion from one drummer to another. Thanks Jason Burns

*JOHN FAVICCHIA * 09-19-2013 08:16 PM

Re: New Video
 
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the nice note and thanks for checking out the video.

Is this your playing? http://youtu.be/9bsJpjSLIrA

John

Brian 09-19-2013 08:37 PM

Re: New Video
 
Enjoyed that a lot, very good playing John.

*JOHN FAVICCHIA * 09-19-2013 10:37 PM

Re: New Video
 
Thanks Brian!!

I plan on doing a few more takes of this one. It's a really busy/different type of a tune. Like I said it was written as kind of an exercise for playing band kicks but I started to like it and enjoy playing it. Each time I play it I try to play differnt stuff. So, probably hit this one a few more times.

Thanks again Brian.

John

XplosiveDrummer 09-19-2013 11:32 PM

Re: New Video
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gretsch-o-rama (Post 1181580)
Your playing seems really "licky" and what I mean by that is somehow you seem to demonstrate every lick Ive ever seen or heard all within a few minute video.

Sorry I disagree extremely. Not once did I see him lick his drums.

Anyway, great playing John and incredible work staying on time with all that odd time feel in that play along. I feel you incorporated the perfect fills at the right time through out the whole video. Thanks for sharing.

*JOHN FAVICCHIA * 09-20-2013 09:48 PM

Re: New Video
 
Thanks very much Explosive D!!!

rhumbagirl 09-24-2013 07:28 AM

Re: New Video
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by *JOHN FAVICCHIA * (Post 1181238)
Hey everyone-

Just posted another vid-


This is one of the tunes I wrote to play at my drum clinics. Its a crazy song/exercise in playing kicks with the band. After writing the Ensemble playing section of my Elements Book (Page 32) I thought it would be fun to have a song that demos Ensemble playing..


http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9gOwRX5Pw9o

Very nice John! Not to deter from Jason's comments, but I like the lick at 1:07 (ie, I don't know how to do the lick, although I've heard it plenty of times by other drummers, so).

I think what adds to it is the clean mix you have. I suppose it has to have an effect on the quality of your practice sessions .. that is, the ability to hear every drum, every cymbal. Plus, you're probably listening to the mix through your headphones (noticed your headphone cord got loose on you).

Can you transcribe the lick at 1:07? Also, the end riff... is that three hits on the FT, then two hits on the BD?

Cheers

Steph

gretsch-o-rama 09-26-2013 01:49 PM

Re: New Video
 
Hi John- yes that's my playing and it took me my whole life to decide what to play in that video. As it did you, John, I'm sure. Lol

*JOHN FAVICCHIA * 10-02-2013 10:39 PM

Re: New Video
 
@Steph

Yes, that is just 16th note triplets- RLL RLL FFL RFF

Brian 10-03-2013 12:01 AM

Re: New Video
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by *JOHN FAVICCHIA * (Post 1185453)
@Steph

Yes, that is just 16th note triplets- RLL RLL FFL RFF

Did you work out of Chaffee's technique patterns at all? I spent countless hours on those 4-way combinations (still do), great for fundamentals and orchestration.

*JOHN FAVICCHIA * 10-03-2013 01:55 PM

Re: New Video
 
Yes, I went over all of the Chaffee books. Still check them out when I have time. Great books!

jornthedrummer 10-03-2013 02:58 PM

Re: New Video
 
Very nice playing indeed. I love the tom sound - can you tell us about your tuning?

thx

jorn

rhumbagirl 10-04-2013 01:13 AM

Re: New Video
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by *JOHN FAVICCHIA * (Post 1185453)
@Steph

Yes, that is just 16th note triplets- RLL RLL FFL RFF

Thanks John!!!!!!!!!!

*JOHN FAVICCHIA * 10-05-2013 03:40 PM

Re: New Video
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jornthedrummer (Post 1185591)
Very nice playing indeed. I love the tom sound - can you tell us about your tuning?

thx

jorn

Hi jorn!

Thanks! My tuning is a combo of a few things. Head combination , using my ears to hear the pitch and listening to them with the Mics on. The heads are clear Remo Emporars on the top and clear ambassador on bottom( coated Emporars on Floor tom batter).

I just got a Tune Bot. It's a great tool to get the drums tuned right up fast.

JF

vorsybl 10-05-2013 05:50 PM

Re: New Video
 
what time signature is it in dude its super clean?? maybe im hearing a subdivision change not a time signature here: 2 36 then 240 the notes sound different

especially 3:23 sounds like a different time signature if you can't share because its the secret to the sick sound i understand dude but i only want to know so i can try and make my own stuff in those frameworks

*JOHN FAVICCHIA * 10-06-2013 02:55 PM

Re: New Video
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorsybl (Post 1186364)
what time signature is it in dude its super clean?? maybe im hearing a subdivision change not a time signature here: 2 36 then 240 the notes sound different

especially 3:23 sounds like a different time signature if you can't share because its the secret to the sick sound i understand dude but i only want to know so i can try and make my own stuff in those frameworks

Hey Vorsybl

This track has time signature changes as well as 3-3-2 phrases in 4/4. There are some 5/16 and 7/16 measures that are fun to play. I wrote this to challenge my self as well as kind of an exercise in playing hits with the band.

Thanks for checking it out !!

John

*JOHN FAVICCHIA * 10-06-2013 02:57 PM

Re: New Video
 
Also,I have the chart somewhere. Let me know if you want to see it.

vorsybl 10-06-2013 10:59 PM

Re: New Video
 
Hey, thanks for taking the time to explain. I really want to experiment with these ideas but don't know where to start, it's kind of overwhelming. Seeing notes would help. Can you email it to me maybe? WHen you get a chance obviously start of a new week is always annoying

If you can send it to me within the next 2 hours would be good because im at the office and can print it out

*JOHN FAVICCHIA * 10-16-2013 12:02 AM

Re: New Video
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorsybl (Post 1186768)
Hey, thanks for taking the time to explain. I really want to experiment with these ideas but don't know where to start, it's kind of overwhelming. Seeing notes would help. Can you email it to me maybe? WHen you get a chance obviously start of a new week is always annoying

If you can send it to me within the next 2 hours would be good because im at the office and can print it out

Ok, I will scan it and post here. Is that cool?

vorsybl 10-21-2013 11:18 PM

Re: New Video
 
Would be really awesome if you could share the knowledge

*JOHN FAVICCHIA * 10-22-2013 03:59 AM

Re: New Video
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_wRG7bJ90A&sns=em

Hope u like this

vorsybl 10-22-2013 08:03 PM

Re: New Video
 
im @ work at the moment so i cant open the vid but really want some new material to start practicing, is the pdf there?

the other night I played a gadd lick and someone who was chilling asked me to show them how to do it, it felt good so i want to learn more and get better so i can eventually teach

*JOHN FAVICCHIA * 11-01-2013 04:01 PM

Re: New Video
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorsybl (Post 1191888)
im @ work at the moment so i cant open the vid but really want some new material to start practicing, is the pdf there?

the other night I played a gadd lick and someone who was chilling asked me to show them how to do it, it felt good so i want to learn more and get better so i can eventually teach

Ok, I will scan in the chart. It's a form chart but has all the hits in it.

JF

*JOHN FAVICCHIA * 11-02-2013 11:49 PM

Re: New Video
 
Another live version of this track

http://youtu.be/Q_wRG7bJ90A


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com