DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Gear (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   best drum rack out there (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110281)

charliejuson 09-15-2013 12:39 PM

best drum rack out there
 
i want to get a drum rack for my tama starclassic, so what is the best one out there.

not bothered about price but i just want a really good one, any recommendations, again, price doesnt matter.

harryconway 09-15-2013 07:23 PM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
You have three basic designs to choose from. Round tube (most racks), square tube (Pearl), and hex tube (Yamaha). Once you choose which look you want (or which look you really don't want) ...... then it gets easier.
30+ years of R&D into drum rack design, they all pretty much work, now days.

konaboy 09-16-2013 01:10 AM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by harryconway (Post 1180622)
You have three basic designs to choose from. Round tube (most racks), square tube (Pearl), and hex tube (Yamaha). Once you choose which look you want (or which look you really don't want) ...... then it gets easier.
30+ years of R&D into drum rack design, they all pretty much work, now days.

Yup. Of those my first choice would be the yamaha hex rack. Love the look and design of the tubes and well yamaha makes incredible hardware.

harryconway 09-16-2013 07:27 AM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by konaboy (Post 1180706)
...... my first choice would be the yamaha hex rack.

I have two Yamaha racks, myself.

Bart Hodge 09-16-2013 07:50 PM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
Money is no object? Yamaha Hexrack II then.

charliejuson 09-18-2013 08:01 PM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
hi, yeah although i like the look of the hex rack, clamps are very hard to find so i wouldnt know where to look

harryconway 09-18-2013 08:33 PM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliejuson (Post 1181619)
.... although i like the look of the hex rack, clamps are very hard to find so i wouldnt know where to look

Any Yamaha dealer should be able to order them. Same as any Gibraltar dealer would be able to order Gibraltar clamps .... and a Pearl dealer should be able to order Pearl clamps.

scorch whammin 09-18-2013 10:42 PM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by harryconway (Post 1181629)
Any Yamaha dealer should be able to order them. Same as any Gibraltar dealer would be able to order Gibraltar clamps .... and a Pearl dealer should be able to order Pearl clamps.

Yep not hard to find either...the only time it was hard to find hex rack clamps was when Yamaha was between hex rack I & II...hex rack II clamps are easily obtained through any music store that sells Yamaha hardware....

charliejuson 10-11-2013 07:51 PM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
i live in uk and yamaha dealers are very few and all the dealers i have emailed, none of them have replied

bigiainw 10-11-2013 08:37 PM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliejuson (Post 1188427)
i live in uk and yamaha dealers are very few and all the dealers i have emailed, none of them have replied

In the UK the most commonly used rack is probably the pearl icon. I have one of these, they are plentiful used and the clamps etc can be had easily on ebay and the like. I agree the Yamaha is good looking, but if you want ease of access, Pearl is the way to go. I used mine with my previous Rockstar Custom and continue to use it with my current Mapex Saturn.

longgun 10-11-2013 09:38 PM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigiainw (Post 1188444)
In the UK the most commonly used rack is probably the pearl icon. I have one of these, they are plentiful used and the clamps etc can be had easily on ebay and the like. I agree the Yamaha is good looking, but if you want ease of access, Pearl is the way to go. I used mine with my previous Rockstar Custom and continue to use it with my current Mapex Saturn.

Here in the states, I would guess Gibraltar is the most popular........................though you do see quite a few Pearls.........................personally I've only seen a few Yamaha hex and DW racks...........................they are pricey though

jornthedrummer 10-12-2013 01:45 AM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
The Pearl rack can be folded without dismantling it. That saves time in case you are gigging.

GRUNTERSDAD 10-12-2013 01:48 AM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
I have a Pearl iCon and when I was looking it was the cheapest. It is sturdy, easy to adjust and the parts are readily available.

Florian 10-12-2013 08:11 AM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD (Post 1188482)
I have a Pearl iCon and when I was looking it was the cheapest. It is sturdy, easy to adjust and the parts are readily available.

I have 2 Pearl Icons...one in the studio and one for gigging. No slipping, everything stays tight.

F

soulfly28 10-12-2013 03:04 PM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
I have a Gibraltar. Tones of accessories. You can find parts anywhere. Mine doesn't get dismantled, so I can't speak to taking it to gigs.

Autopilot 10-15-2013 10:47 PM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
I have a Gibraltar, Yamaha Hex II, and a Pearl Icon.

The Hex rack is by far my favorite rack. The looks and design are second to none. It usually doesn't leave the home/studio. I would definitely recommend it if you have the money to spend.

I use my Pearl Icon for gigging....it's a great workhorse. I'm not a huge fan of the looks of the square tubes....but its solid as a rock.

I'm not a big fan of the Gibraltar. I used it for gigging before I got the icon. I found that it was always twisting and turning due to the round tubes. They are very affordable though.

keep it simple 10-15-2013 10:58 PM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autopilot (Post 1189617)
I have a Gibraltar, Yamaha Hex II, and a Pearl Icon.

The Hex rack is by far my favorite rack. The looks and design are second to none. It usually doesn't leave the home/studio. I would definitely recommend it if you have the money to spend.

I use my Pearl Icon for gigging....it's a great workhorse. I'm not a huge fan of the looks of the square tubes....but its solid as a rock.

I'm not a big fan of the Gibraltar. I used it for gigging before I got the icon. I found that it was always twisting and turning due to the round tubes. They are very affordable though.

Echos my situation almost exactly, although I have no experience with the Gibraltar rack. We use the series I hexrack as a show rack. Two sided Icon as the gigging rack. It takes a beating, then comes back for more. General engineering on the Yamaha is clearly better though.

soulfly28 10-15-2013 11:37 PM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
The twisting and turning "should" be fixed with memory locks. Never really had that problem. I used a lot of memory locks though.

charliejuson 10-19-2013 09:48 AM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
thanks for your help guys, i am going to purchase the icon today (if he can set it up in store for me) and test it out for a few weeks, if i like it, i will most probably keep it but if i want to have the desire to modificate it in any way i like i will probably sell it on ebay for 150 so i can buy the gibraltar curved front rack. atleast then i will know which one i prefer.

charliejuson 11-03-2013 11:22 AM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
i have changed my mind and i am now going to buy the gibraltar rack, front curved bar

Autopilot 11-04-2013 11:45 PM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
Let us know how you like it..

2bsticks 11-05-2013 12:08 AM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
Never had a problem with my Gibraltar rack gigging 130 gigs per year. Never had a slipping issue.

charliejuson 11-12-2013 10:32 PM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autopilot (Post 1195466)
Let us know how you like it..

will do, ive ordered it, the shop dont have it in stock atm but they said they will post it by the end of next week

Bo Eder 11-13-2013 02:47 AM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
Not to throw a shadow on this, but I'm wondering if Yamaha's hardware is affected by it's re-boot of its drum manufacturing?

I know I like that Yamaha stuff, but I may just be buying stock that is already made and delivered to the US. Do we know if they will continue on with their current hardware and rack designs too? Just wonderin'.

charliejuson 11-20-2013 09:23 PM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
the rack came today, the delivery company said that they came to deliver it yesterday but no one was home which is complete bull sh*t as i was home all day (some sort of strikes with the teachers) and i was waiting for it too come, it didn't come at all, the company rang today and said that they came at 2 pm yesterday and left a card at my house to say they have been, this card was no where to be found. Any way, luckily the companies office is just down the road from me so i went to pick it up.

when i first opened the box and put it together, the legs were facing inwards (not vertically up right) but somehow i managed to fix it, it is very strong, it came with two multi clamps with memory locks so i have mounted my toms on it.

thanks for the recommendations guys, i love it!

porter 11-21-2013 03:01 AM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1197646)
I know I like that Yamaha stuff, but I may just be buying stock that is already made and delivered to the US. Do we know if they will continue on with their current hardware and rack designs too? Just wonderin'.

I'd assume that the hardware is cast and otherwise manufactured in a different factory, though I could be wrong.

scorch whammin 11-21-2013 03:40 AM

Re: best drum rack out there
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1197646)
Not to throw a shadow on this, but I'm wondering if Yamaha's hardware is affected by it's re-boot of its drum manufacturing?

I know I like that Yamaha stuff, but I may just be buying stock that is already made and delivered to the US. Do we know if they will continue on with their current hardware and rack designs too? Just wonderin'.

All hardware is already made in China, so no change there...


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com