DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Your Gear (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   My new (to me) PDP M5 kit (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110114)

Dignan 09-09-2013 06:00 AM

My new (to me) PDP M5 kit
 
Bought these last week for a knockout price of $200. Only missing the snare and tom mount which I picked up on CL for about $25.

Got them polished up with a little help from my...."indentured servants," set them up and they look beautiful.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/5d5...bordpg054g.jpg

Almost no scratches or dents on these things. The heads need replacing (other than bass drum which I already upgraded) but even at that, I think it was a good deal. Quite a step up from my Sunlites. They served me well for many years but had to go.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/8e2...gs3agysm4g.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/c79...80zax1io4g.jpg

Just can't decide if I want to go with the traditional 2 up and one down, 1 up and 1 down or 2 up (offset to the left) and 1 down. I want to like this last option but it makes my hi-hat positioning seem strained.

lefty2 09-09-2013 07:08 AM

Re: My new (to me) PDP M5 kit
 
That's a great looking kit. I bet it sounds like a $600 kit or more. I'm happy for you.

Lovetadraw 09-09-2013 06:26 PM

Re: My new (to me) PDP M5 kit
 
If you do the last option, I have mine set up so my snare is in front of me. Toms are behind that so it makes like a triangle. Basically, the bass ceases to be the "front" of the set and those two toms+snare are. Once you think of it that way and adjust the throne, the hats should feel okay.

Awesome kit BTW!

Dignan 09-09-2013 07:36 PM

Re: My new (to me) PDP M5 kit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovetadraw (Post 1178672)
If you do the last option, I have mine set up so my snare is in front of me. Toms are behind that so it makes like a triangle. Basically, the bass ceases to be the "front" of the set and those two toms+snare are. Once you think of it that way and adjust the throne, the hats should feel okay.

Awesome kit BTW!

Thanks. I'll give that a try. My last kit was 12", 13", 16" so the toms were too big to do this. I just did one up, one down. But now with the 10" and 12" I'm hoping I can make it work.

GRUNTERSDAD 09-09-2013 07:42 PM

Re: My new (to me) PDP M5 kit
 
I like the 2 and 1 like the last picture

larryace 09-09-2013 07:51 PM

Re: My new (to me) PDP M5 kit
 
You got terrific drums for a rock bottom price. Nice finish too! I have nothing but compliments for PDP drums. I don't know why some people knock them. 32 TPI threads, nicer lugs than DW's, same iso mount system. My 14 hanging floor tom can sustain really long if I tune it a certain way, to the point where it's almost a problem. I like those problems though. I think they are an excellent value. And for 200 bones? That's a very big bang for your drumming dollar. (I snagged mine for 125, 2 miles from my house.) I like them better than my DW's tone-wise because of the straight shell inside. Great edges too. I really like mine.

So gorgeous kit man. I wish you many thousands of happy hours playing them.

Dignan 09-09-2013 09:03 PM

Re: My new (to me) PDP M5 kit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by larryace (Post 1178686)
You got terrific drums for a rock bottom price. Nice finish too! I have nothing but compliments for PDP drums. I don't know why some people knock them. 32 TPI threads, nicer lugs than DW's, same iso mount system. My 14 hanging floor tom can sustain really long if I tune it a certain way, to the point where it's almost a problem. I like those problems though. I think they are an excellent value. And for 200 bones? That's a very big bang for your drumming dollar. (I snagged mine for 125, 2 miles from my house.) I like them better than my DW's tone-wise because of the straight shell inside. Great edges too. I really like mine.

So gorgeous kit man. I wish you many thousands of happy hours playing them.

Thanks Larry. I can't wait to really get some hours on them. I'm not even gigging or recording (yet) but just love playing and learning new patterns/grooves/ideas.

I found myself going down the basement to putz around with them several times last night. Couldn't really play as the kids were asleep but gotta get my hands on them somehow.

You got your PDP kit for $125? That's incredible. I've found that patience + craigslist can be very fruitful.

GRUNTERSDAD,
I think I will try the 2 up (offset) for a while and see how it goes. I just don't like my ride anywhere else but close in tight and low.

CreeplyTuna 09-10-2013 12:09 AM

Re: My new (to me) PDP M5 kit
 
That is why you buy used. Awesome kit. And the triangle of "toms+snare" is how I set up my kit too. I totally agree with everyone else that it's the perfect setup.

thunderstruck 09-10-2013 04:01 AM

Re: My new (to me) PDP M5 kit
 
Great looking kit! Your two helpers are adorable.

XplosiveDrummer 09-10-2013 10:58 AM

Re: My new (to me) PDP M5 kit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dignan (Post 1178553)
Got them polished up with a little help from my...."indentured servants," set them up and they look beautiful.

Just can't decide if I want to go with the traditional 2 up and one down, 1 up and 1 down or 2 up (offset to the left) and 1 down. I want to like this last option but it makes my hi-hat positioning seem strained.

Haha well I hope their reward was that pops was gonna teach them how to lay down a beat on those tubs! ;)

Yeah man those look sweet. Love the wood burst finishes on these and other drums that have them. I also can't stand to have a rack tom too close to my hat or too far to my left. Makes me feel too cluttered, so unless I have my 8" up my 10" and 12" are just slightly left center of my bass drum on my PDP rack. I like the uniform look of the toms in the middle of the bass drum. That's the way I grew up playing them. I have tried a 1 up 1 down with my X7 and I love that as well! 10" straight in front and the 16" to my right. Awesome!

Keep us updated on the snare situation and maybe post a sound clip on Youtube or something when you're ready! Enjoy them!

Dignan 09-15-2013 09:11 PM

Re: My new (to me) PDP M5 kit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer (Post 1178936)
Haha well I hope their reward was that pops was gonna teach them how to lay down a beat on those tubs! ;)

XD,

I'm trying to get my daughters interested for sure I even picked up one of those First Act kits for them to bang around on. $20 bucks on CL. They use it sometimes but also still like to pound on dad's drumset which is fine by me. The 3 year old will sit down at the jr kit and hit a drum over and over counting 1, 2, 3... 1, 2, 3.... She's stuck in 3/4 I guess. Ha

Regarding snares? What are people's thoughts on piccolos? There's a used Remo Mastertouch piccolo (3" by 13") near me on sale for $40. Was thinking of grabbing it until I can pick up a better main snare for the new kit. I've never played a piccolo. Do they just sound tighter and snappier basically?

XplosiveDrummer 09-16-2013 01:40 PM

Re: My new (to me) PDP M5 kit
 
Haha that's too cool Dignan! :)

As for a piccolo, I personally had one 10 years ago with my Pearl Exports and I believe it too was Pearl and a 13x3. Nothing special just a cheap steel one I believe. I got it to similate David Silveria's snare sound used in the early days. Though I'm currently looking at different avenues regarding snare sound. I like a nice tight, high tone pop, like used in Gospel drumming and I'm also starting to like the deeper snares for a fuller sound. I'm leaning toward 13x7 myself currently.

Anyways, just to get something behind the kit for now I would say go for it. For a similar Evans setup that I use with Remo, I would go with a Power Center Reverse Dot or an EC1 Reverse Dot with a Hazy 200 or 300. I use a Diplomat snare side so I believe that would be more like the Hazy 200. If it rings too much get some Moongel and slap a piece on it.

Dignan 09-16-2013 03:35 PM

Re: My new (to me) PDP M5 kit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer (Post 1180848)
Haha that's too cool Dignan! :)

As for a piccolo, I personally had one 10 years ago with my Pearl Exports and I believe it too was Pearl and a 13x3. Nothing special just a cheap steel one I believe. I got it to similate David Silveria's snare sound used in the early days. Though I'm currently looking at different avenues regarding snare sound. I like a nice tight, high tone pop, like used in Gospel drumming and I'm also starting to like the deeper snares for a fuller sound. I'm leaning toward 13x7 myself currently.

Anyways, just to get something behind the kit for now I would say go for it. For a similar Evans setup that I use with Remo, I would go with a Power Center Reverse Dot or an EC1 Reverse Dot with a Hazy 200 or 300. I use a Diplomat snare side so I believe that would be more like the Hazy 200. If it rings too much get some Moongel and slap a piece on it.

Once again I appreciate your advice. It's sort of funny you mention the 13x7 snare. I just found this on CL http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/4064137945.html for $50 and am considering it. I've never played a snare of those proportions (13" and 6" depth). It actually looks to me like it may be 7" deep. I like tight, cracky sounding snares. Could I achieve that sound with this Sonor snare?

drumdevil9 09-16-2013 03:40 PM

Re: My new (to me) PDP M5 kit
 
That's a steal for 200 bucks. Very nice. I liked your little slav...I mean helpers.

XplosiveDrummer 09-16-2013 04:09 PM

Re: My new (to me) PDP M5 kit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dignan (Post 1180874)
Once again I appreciate your advice. It's sort of funny you mention the 13x7 snare. I just found this on CL http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/4064137945.html for $50 and am considering it. I've never played a snare of those proportions (13" and 6" depth). It actually looks to me like it may be 7" deep. I like tight, cracky sounding snares. Could I achieve that sound with this Sonor snare?

Well it won't be as cracking as a piccolo or a snare of similar depth. The 13" size will help to raise the tone of it but the depth will make it a bit fuller. As for that snare I'm not finding a Sonor that was made of aluminum and that looks like that. From what I can see it's from a series called Black Mamba and they are maple shells. And yes you may be correct that it's 7" deep.

IMO to have a more practical snare sound I would go with something other than a piccolo but if you like the sound of them by all means grab one. In fact get a piccolo and a standard snare to have a couple choices and to have fun with. I myself wouldn't mind a Mapex MPX piccolo, those that go for like $80 new. I had the chance to pick one up and hold it at Guitar Center and it has a LOT of weight to it. I was surprised considering how cheap it is. Felt like it would give off a nice tone and extreme pop to it.

Links for you to check out regarding that Sonor and the Mapex I was talking about. You make the call on that Sonor lol. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonor-Black-...item4176c62607

https://www.google.com/search?q=SONO...dpr=1#imgdii=_

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mapex-MP...77-i3020195.gc

Dignan 09-16-2013 04:16 PM

Re: My new (to me) PDP M5 kit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer (Post 1180886)
Well it won't be as cracking as a piccolo or a snare of similar depth. The 13" size will help to raise the tone of it but the depth will make it a bit fuller. As for that snare I'm not finding a Sonor that was made of aluminum and that looks like that. From what I can see it's from a series called Black Mamba and they are maple shells. And yes you may be correct that it's 7" deep.

IMO to have a more practical snare sound I would go with something other than a piccolo but if you like the sound of them by all means grab one. In fact get a piccolo and a standard snare to have a couple choices and to have fun with. I myself wouldn't mind a Mapex MPX piccolo, those that go for like $80 new. I had the chance to pick one up and hold it at Guitar Center and it has a LOT of weight to it. I was surprised considering how cheap it is. Felt like it would give off a nice tone and extreme pop to it.

Links for you to check out regarding that Sonor and the Mapex I was talking about. You make the call on that Sonor lol. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonor-Black-...item4176c62607

https://www.google.com/search?q=SONO...dpr=1#imgdii=_

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mapex-MP...77-i3020195.gc

XD,

I think you're right. I can't find any 13x6 Sonor snare drums like the one I linked that is made of Aluminum. My search came to the black mamba drum too. Thanks again.

Dignan 10-20-2013 05:49 AM

Re: My new (to me) PDP M5 kit
 
Finally found a snare for my kit. A TAMA Artwood 13". Sounds awesome. Check out pics here http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...&postcount=842

XplosiveDrummer 10-22-2013 02:30 AM

Re: My new (to me) PDP M5 kit
 
Finally lol. :D

Great choice Dignan, I too am looking at a Tama snare and that's the 13x6.5 Metalworks. I can't decide between this or another snare that's wood and is 13x7. Considering the price of both I'd like to just get both of them lol.

Anyway, nice piece man, enjoy!

JSWhaler 10-22-2013 02:48 AM

Re: My new (to me) PDP M5 kit
 
Nice pick up as I had a set of those as well, but have since sold them and upgraded. I tired for close to a year of offsetting my rack toms, but couldn't get used to it and switched back to the two toms over the bass. I guess it's hard to break a 10+ year habit of always having them there. Great buy!

Dignan 10-22-2013 03:10 AM

Re: My new (to me) PDP M5 kit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer (Post 1191587)
Finally lol. :D

Great choice Dignan, I too am looking at a Tama snare and that's the 13x6.5 Metalworks. I can't decide between this or another snare that's wood and is 13x7. Considering the price of both I'd like to just get both of them lol.

Anyway, nice piece man, enjoy!

Finally is right. I was dying without a snare but I take my time looking for something that important. I don't regret my choice at all but would still like to get an acrolite some day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSWhaler (Post 1191591)
Nice pick up as I had a set of those as well, but have since sold them and upgraded. I tired for close to a year of offsetting my rack toms, but couldn't get used to it and switched back to the two toms over the bass. I guess it's hard to break a 10+ year habit of always having them there. Great buy!

It's funny you mention that JSWhaler. I've spent the last couple nights futzing around with my setup. I like the accessibility of 2 (offset), one down but I don't like how far over it makes me put my hats. I also like this setup because I like my ride in close. Then I experimented with one up, two down so I could get my ride and hats where I like them....but...you guessed it....I don't like the large gap between the toms so as I write this, my set is currently setup in the traditional 2 up (centered over bass), one down. The only disadvantage now is my ride is farther away. I can't decide.

I once saw a quote about drumset configuration, possibly on this forum..."It's like marriage, it's one constant compromise."

XplosiveDrummer 10-23-2013 10:33 AM

Re: My new (to me) PDP M5 kit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dignan (Post 1191597)
Finally is right. I was dying without a snare but I take my time looking for something that important. I don't regret my choice at all but would still like to get an acrolite some day.

Absolutely understand that Dignan. I'm guilty of jumping at the bit usually and have since learned to take a step back and really research about things. It's worked well especially when it came to buying 4 12" subwoofers and 2 dual sealed sub boxes for my in house system. Considering the price of these subs, you would think they would be like toys but they give off a generous amount of bass and a solid kick being in the sealed boxes. I actually have a Crown XLS 1000 bridged which feeds them about 275 watts each. I would love to "do it right" some day and get ones that truly handle 500+ watts RMS each but for now I'm happy with how they turned out.

Anyway lol, yeah after a couple months of listening to and watching videos of snares I've narrowed it down to a few. I actually would like to get a few that would cover my "wants" at the time. Like a 13" wood and/or metal and a 14" wood and/or metal. I'm not a snare collector and don't need a dozen snares. Just ones that cover what I would feel like playing that day.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com